What's new

Are we dismissing the added move slots too prematurely?

JesterSMX

It's too laggy to poke...
I don't care what you do, but I know I (and several others) will be collecting moves and customizing characters long after 6 months. The game has probably 12 dlc characters coming, it will be as big a seller this christmas as it will be in may.
So you would rather use stat boosts and win from having an advantage than straight up? Speaks volumes. I'll keep an eye on the sales figures but you're wrong about that and the 12 dlc. I'm innaccurate? Smh. Have fun at the kid table. I'll be working on being a better player with the adults.

haketh

Noob
So you would rather use stat boosts and win from having an advantage than straight up? Speaks volumes. I'll keep an eye on the sales figures but you're wrong about that and the 12 dlc. I'm innaccurate? Smh. Have fun at the kid table. I'll be working on being a better player with the adults.
You know people can play games in multiple ways right? Theirs no one right way to play & enjoy games? Hell a lot of Top Players in Calibur played around with the RPG modes all the time, this attitude is whack B.

Beach

La mejor playa
I mean lets look at the Smash 4 community. They tried having customs on (changes what the special moves do) for a few tournaments and it ended up being a nightmare for TO's to setup and learning matchups with mostly gimmicky changes from the base character. This led to a lot of frustration and pointless changes. Thus they no longer use customs anymore. Albeit Smash is it's own world with 4 changes to basic abilities vs. 2 but we should atleast wait until launch to critique the new features.

Last edited:

YUZU_RZA

Aftershock | Crystalline | Metallic
The balance would be = Goodbye :/

But yeah the system looks really great online

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
After 6 months the only people that are gonna play i2 is tym. That's a generalization but my point is "competitive mode" is going to be the standard. Half the moves we've seen in gameplay reveals are useless if they don't apply to competitive mode.
After 2 years when people have picked up a new tournament game, the kind of people that care about armor and cosmetic unlocks will still be playing Injustice 2 online.

JesterSMX

You know people can play games in multiple ways right? Theirs no one right way to play & enjoy games? Hell a lot of Top Players in Calibur played around with the RPG modes all the time, this attitude is whack B.
RPG mode is completely different. Why learn Tempest Lao when you can only use variationless lao? Its an option to appeal to cauals and casuals die off well before people that take getting better seriously. Name a time in the last year when two mkx rooms were full at the same time? The point is the extra moves will not be touched by the majority of active players 6 months after the game's release B.

Lokheit

Noob
Okay update

We're playing the beta now and we turned it to competitive mode with extra moves on

You cannot use extra moves with competitive on
That's a bummer. I perfectly understand not having the gear attributes as they're downright unfair advantage, but everyone is limited to 2 slots for the custom moves, they should be allowed in competitive mode, the moves you add aren't even half as powerful as the ones from MKX variation system.

trufenix

bye felicia
wow. Someone get this man a code, his ego is starting to consume itself. He needs 40cc of being a better player with adults stat.

JesterSMX

After 2 years when people have picked up a new tournament game, the kind of people that care about armor and cosmetic unlocks will still be playing Injustice 2 online.
If after 2 years you don't have the gear you want... I think it's time to let go of the dream.

MadPropz101

"I still got it...but not much of it"
It is dead obvious that abilities should be allowed in competitive mode, but the gear itself should just be cosmetic and have the stats disabled.
Abilities are kinda like MkX variations and should not be banned...

JesterSMX

wow. Someone get this man a code, his ego is starting to consume itself. He needs 40cc of being a better player with adults stat.
Having a beta code doesn't have anything to do with what we're talking about. You can't address any of my points because you're wrong and thought beta code comeback was your best option.

trufenix

bye felicia
Having a beta code doesn't have anything to do with what we're talking about. You can't address any of my points because you're wrong and thought beta code comeback was your best option.
If you have already gone to the future and seen that everybody except the competitive gamers dropped IJ2 after six months, what could I possibly tell you that you don't already know?

I mean, its not like anybody is still playing MKX or Injustice for fun now, are they?

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
It is dead obvious that abilities should be allowed in competitive mode, but the gear itself should just be cosmetic and have the stats disabled.
Abilities are kinda like MkX variations and should not be banned...
The problem is logistics, NRS can avoid that problem if they are smart.

However, the way they discussed the gear on the stream yesterday, it really does seem like they intend it to be for online/casuals and not for tournament play.

JesterSMX

If you have already gone to the future and seen that everybody except the competitive gamers dropped IJ2 after six months, what could I possibly tell you that you don't already know?

I mean, its not like anybody is still playing MKX or Injustice for fun now, are they?
Not enough to warrant keeping a huge part of the game exclusive from the majority of its active player base.

JesterSMX

Majority!? Where are you getting these units of measurement?
You're fighting with me instead of making any valid points. This is the last post from me with our back and forth. After a certain point (in my opinion 6 months) the casuals will move on leaving the non-casuals as the majority. Non-casuals will want to play competitive mode leaving all those extra moves unused. It's that simple.

Perdition

Your friendly neighborhood cynic
Please explain to me how MKXL in its current state is worse in terms of balance than marvel, smash, Sfv.

Nrs has improved their balancing immensely. I'd even argue that all other things equal, mkx is more balanced than sfv. Season 2 sfv is a mess balance wise.

If you want to argue about mechanics and gameplay design decisions, you'd have a strong argument.

I think nrs games rely much too heavily on safe 50/50s and mixups in general to encourage offense. I also think chip damage is too powerful, and should maybe use a grey health mechanic with chip. I also think that jump attacks have too much priority and aa's are weak, leading to people being rewarded for jumping like maniacs. I also think pokes on block should leave players more negative. Mids shouldn't be low profiled, and hurtboxes in general need to be adjusted.

All of those are legitimate criticisms of mkx and nrs in general. However, it's a real reach trying to chide them for balance character to character in a genre where even the most beloved and respected games with less than half the characters have major balance issues across the cast.
If you think NRS is good at patching their games, then that is a rare opinion. MKX was a complete joke until the most recent patch.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
Cool, great talking with you.

It says a lot that you won't take the time to read something, yet you will take the time to hit reply and tell me you won't read it. Which of those is a bigger waste of time?

Typical though, people love to offer their opinion and have all the time in the world for that, but have no time to consider someone else's.
my opinion was 2 lines, I'm just saying.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
It would be cool if NRS allowed you to select from 3-5 different preset loadouts before a match in tournament mode. Maybe it would only work offline and not have any added stats or aesthetics, just the different specials.

People would still want to collect loot so they can play with their customized characters online. I don't know if NRS would do that.

@IrishMantis I don't quite understand...
Are you saying tournament play should not have to turn tournament mode on and should play with the characters and the new moves that they acquire because the new moves act like variation system in a way?

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
If you can enter in to some kind of tournament mode that unlocks all extra moves and is designed to be streamlined, then it's incredible. You set it up so there is, I dunno, a 15 second window or something on match start to pick the move(s) you want, and poof. Not so bad for tournaments in terms of time and it adds a level of strategy. Make moves locked in just like characters for the winner.

This is assuming balance of course, but we can't grab the pitchforks yet, we don't know what we'll see and how it will all play out, but the ability to choose a move or two is incredible and if done right really really helps with the whole MU thing.

i lke this gear system, but more from a cosmetic point of view. movesets sounds like a fun feature but ultimately we'll be playing the tournament mode right?

and save our OP gear setups for casual king of the hill domination

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
Yeah as above this irrelivant since we can't do it

Some of the moves are really cool but I understand NRS's decision of putting moves with gear

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
Haven't read the thread but as a concept I think it's very interesting.

Assuming competitive mode has the extra specials unlocked, this can be something that'll truly make players show their creativity/uniqueness, at least at first.

I'll use MKX Lao as an example here, now imagine the "default" Lao is variationless. He has spin, hat toss, dive, tele.
All the variation stuff is "extra" moves.
So you have stuff like:
-low hat
-enchanced spin being vortex instead of the advancing one.
-hat trick set
-hat spin
-up hat toss

For the sake of argument we'll assume each only cost 1 slot, now you as a player have multiple options to enhance a style that you want:
You want cleaner anti-airs and air dominance: you pick enhanced spin and up hat.
You want better pressure and mixups: you pick hat spin and low hat.
You want better zoning: you pick up hat and low hat tosses.
You want more tricks: pick hat trick and some other move.

It's similar to the variations, but here you have the option to adjust it and basically make your own variation.
You want hat trick set but you still want hat spin's pressure. you want low hat and still keep the vortex spin. It opens up more styles and picking moves that will enhance the way you want the character to play.
I think it'll be awesome to see how players decide to set their characters. It can also make mirror matches with different moves pretty interesting.

Granted that down the line people will have a few "set" loadouts that everyone agree on (all Batmans will have A+B or B+D as they're the best combinations) but you can still adjust it to how you want your character to play.
It can also be interesting to have moves that can cover big weaknesses as an option, but it'll remove a good tool, like a zoning character losing their fullscreen tool but gets a good wakeup as they don't have one aside from this extra move, or if say Supergirl gets a command grab but loses her teleport so she has to work harder against zoning but gets more mixup options.

I think this has a lot of potential but it'll depend on how they decide to do this:
are specials gonna be unlocked in competitive mode? Are the 1 slot or 2 slots moves gonna be balanced? Will some characters completely dominate with a certain combination of extra moves? Are there extra moves that can give you different traits? Will the competitive scene take the chance or immediately ban the extra moves?

Too many unknown factors atm but it'll be interesting to see how it all works out.