What's new

Are we dismissing the added move slots too prematurely?

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
Just to clarify before I explain the thread.
This is not a "Should Extra moves be legal?"
So I am not asking should we allow them or doing a poll to decide.
Just clearing myself lol

Onto the thread itself, what I mean by are we dismissing these extra moves too prematurely is are we already just writing them off?

I see a lot of people say "gear and moves will be banned"
I understand gear being automatically decided on as it's it gives stat advantage and definitely feels more for the casual player.

But when I seen them explain the move slots yesterday on stream it made me actually think about it and it sounded like they are balancing them "a move could take 2 slots" and also when they showed Atrocitus extra move That drained your meter if active and close "it has a really long start up and takes away health for using" that sounds like they intend to balance it to me.

If you think about it's not really too far off how the variation system works.

Even though the thread title is a question it's intended to be more rethorical as I'm not exactly looking for a Yes/No because honestly it's too early to judge it like that even though I'm betting a few replies will still say "too early" and miss the point :D

So the goal of this is to not just get opinions but open people minds during their time with OR watching the beta on streams so we can get a good feel.

Also I'm sure there be an extra move here and there that be super OP but I don't think it's fair to dismiss it by that reason as that can adjusted like any other move.

But the one big border in the way of this idea is do you have to unlock these moves? And if yes how so?

Because there be nothing worst than going to a tourney and they don't have certain moves unlocked.

But in anyway ill close it on that, let me know your thoughts.

NOTE
I'm not trying to make THIS be the thread that decides the faith! No because I explained that above. I want this thread to make us look from that perspective early on so later on when we have the inevitable "Should these extra moves be tourney legal" at least we will have a more clear thought process on the idea.

In the end it's up to the Top players, Us the community and how NRS want it to be.

May as well throw out a tag @colt and @16 Bit to see if they could give us their take on how they intend on these extra moves to be implemented tournament wise.

Cheers for reading.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
tbh all of that is mute if when "competitive mode" is turned on, its attached to abilities aswell and not just the gear. atm i dunno if that is the case (maybe you can have a loadout with abilities on but no gear on though)

as was saying in the chat and u brought up there having moves unlocked for tournies would also be another problem if the 1t thing i mentioned isnt a issue.

it is weird to think there will be all these moves that just arent a thing for tourny players, like seen supergirl has a ww like air charge, that would be sweet coupled with her trait laser but i dunno, its just strange situation

GOOD DRAGON

Awesometacular
"Because there be" you been hanging out with a lot of Pirates recently Rrrrr lol.

Ye i also noticed you can have upto 5 load-outs for 1 character - in my opinion this will probably come in most handy for match ups. So you could have a load-out that has counter zoning tools and better defence against those kinda characters. Or even have a zoning load-out.

This will eliminate having to play/counter pick just to win a match up especially if your a character loyalist which is great. Some of the moves like batman's batarang looks like you may have to unlock it but its just speculation right now- maybe you have to unlock it but for tournament mode its all available.

IrishMantis

"Because there be" you been hanging out with a lot of Pirates recently Rrrrr lol.

Ye i also noticed you can have upto 5 load-outs for 1 character - in my opinion this will probably come in most handy for match ups. So you could have a load-out that has counter zoning tools and better defence against those kinda characters. Or even have a zoning load-out.

This will eliminate having to play/counter pick just to win a match up especially if your a character loyalist which is great. Some of the moves like batman's batarang looks like you may have to unlock it but its just speculation right now- maybe you have to unlock it but for tournament mode its all available.
Haha the pirate thing must be an Irish thing, I never noticed actually interesting

And yeah as Letters and yourself said the unlocking part is a huge factor if it is

IrishMantis

Nrs had problems balancing a game with three variations.

Next game comes. Then they try with a trizillion of variations.

Hay that's my favourite meme

It's a free "like" generator haha

Yeah MKX had a few useless variations but on the most part I'd say the variation system turned out to be success

At least in this you have more control over what moves you want...sounds like a balance nightmare I know but it gets me excited

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
Hay that's my favourite meme

It's a free "like" generator haha

Yeah MKX had a few useless variations but on the most part I'd say the variation system turned out to be success

At least in this you have more control over what moves you want...sounds like a balance nightmare I know but it gets me excited
I think the system is super fun and imaginative, customizing your character is a dream, don't take me wrong.

But even if all gear was available for tournaments, it smells like total chaos, it would be almost impossible to prepare for matchups since a single tool added to a character can make a big difference.

IrishMantis

I think the system is super fun and imaginative, customizing your character is a dream, don't take me wrong.

But even if all gear was available for tournaments, it smells like total chaos, it would be almost impossible to prepare for matchups since a single tool added to a character can make a big difference.
I understand man

Plus there is always the other side of grass converstation which is what you're representing now.

You make a good point but you can argue should you play safe to not try new things

Be held back by fear :p

Awkward Sloth

Lamest Harley, still better sloth than Jer

Also waiting on everyone to go into the customization screen to make sure they get their perfect character. Add that extra time on every pools match. Shit would take forever.

IrishMantis

Also waiting on everyone to go into the customization screen to make sure they get their perfect character. Add that extra time on every pools match. Shit would take forever.
Actually very good point didn't think of that

But that would fall under more if an annoyance that barrier

Awkward Sloth

Casually it's a very fun idea which I look forward to...casually.

But pretty sure the moves added will be unlocks/rated to having gear in. Even if it is its own tab.

Competitively that'll be a no go.

What would be interesting tho is if a character isn't good and they decide to take a special move from that slot and make it a permanent addition to said character. Ex giving Batman air Batarangs.

GOOD DRAGON

Awesometacular
Yeah but the question is does that relate to moves?

As in the customise section they are in there own tab as in the not the Tab labelled Gear

But you could be right
True. It could be just default set ups. Like what matey said earlier- if everyone has to sit there and customise what specials they want, then it will just add a lot of time to pre-match prep.

Thefish

One Drink, Two Drink, Three Drink.. More.
What would be interesting tho is if a character isn't good and they decide to take a special move from that slot and make it a permanent addition to said character. Ex giving Batman air Batarangs.
Yeah thats a brilliant question. For some reason I can see unlockable special moves from the custom/gear mode being made a permanent move in the tournament mode. That's going to eat me alive until it comes out.

Jelan

Aquaman is dead lel
In tourney mode I'm all for the special move customization, it is afterall just an extension of the variation system. But then again, if we don't have all the specials unlocked to begin with or they are connected to gear pieces I don't think it would work out.

But then again, I'm sure WB would alleviate our burden of grinding out RNG equipment drops with their not yet announced, but nonetheless glorious microtransaction crates for random gear pieces.

IrishMantis

Okay they're could be a way of the whole unlock move scenario

COD actually did something like this for league play

But even if the moves are locked you can still choose them BUT when you activate the "Competitive mode" the move is then unlocked, as in it's only locked for the casuals to unlock and use with their gear

Obviously you can use it in practice

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
Casually it's a very fun idea which I look forward to...casually.

But pretty sure the moves added will be unlocks/rated to having gear in. Even if it is its own tab.

Competitively that'll be a no go.

Yo on the fly balance by the community? that could be cool actually.

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
They said yesterday on stream that the gear is randomly given stats when you unlock it. I do not know if this is for the special moves too? That would differ console to console then and be a nightmare for tournaments.

I don't want to dismiss them out of hand either, just like we should've probably strongly considered turned off interactables in inj1 at some point.

Skedar70

Noob
Maybe this can be applied to online tournaments only so that you don't have to worry about setting up your character in an offline tournament and you can just play it.

However, I do believe this will be a balancing nightmare and will be ignored by the competitive players. Its a little disappointing that NRS is spending soo much time in this gear system and the actual hardcore players will probably ignore it after a few weeks.

This will probably be like the faction wars or the custom combat modes of mkx.

I would have preferred a tag mode so we can play 2 vs 2.

Awkward Sloth

Yo on the fly balance by the community? that could be cool actually.
Relying on the community to balance? Not what I was inferring to at all. They being developers.

I wouldn't trust this community to balance shit. That'll open this place to tons of "they need it" threads in terms of buffing their characters. I'll pass on that thanks.