What's new

Match-up Discussion Anything but mediocre! The Zod Pictorial Match Up Chart

M2Dave

Zoning Master
people in this game are too quick to say 7-3 lol, mmh does not 7-3 zod
I know a really bad match when I see one.

I was right about Smoke beating Freddy 7:3 when everybody doubted me and I am now right about Martian Manhunter beating Zod 7:3.

If a character cannot do 50% of what he/she usually does, the match is really bad. Period.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
5-5 and not 6-4?
I promised not to talk MUs anymore, but I'm just curious as I personally have a hard time against Zod.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Both. You can do instant aerial regular teleport if you think the trait activation is coming.

I also forgot to mention that Martian Manhunter also has the best back dash punishment in the game. If you place an MB orb behind Zod, he gets juggled if he back dashes. You can then hit-confirm instant aerial regular teleport. Even if Zod does not back dash, though, he cannot back off and Martian Manhunter can activate trait, get in, and do whatever he wishes. Martian Manhunter's interactable object control is also on par with Zod's.

I am not calling anybody out, but if you are using Martian Manhunter and you are losing to Zod, you are not good. You either do not understand your character very well or you are playing the match terribly wrong.

Even the most basic Martian Manhunter can be tough for Zod. I was fighting @MK_Chameleon online earlier. His Martian Manhunter was a lot more difficult for me than his Raven, who was his original main character.

By the way, Martian Manhunter beats every zoning character 7:3, which includes Cyborg, Raven, Sinestro, and Zod.
Wtf why are you back dashing into orbs? The things you're describing remind me of the supposed 7-3 in lexs favor lex vs mmh. I'm not sold on things like this, esp like raven being 7-3. Zoning isn't a fixed style of play it defines part of the tools a character has.

EMPEROR_JUPITER

Your ego betrays you.

I was right about Smoke beating Freddy 7:3 when everybody doubted me and I am now right about Martian Manhunter beating Zod 7:3.

If a character cannot do 50% of what he/she usually does, the match is really bad. Period.
your character has the ability to basically take a life bar if you combo into trait. people run too quickly to say an MU is 7-3. just because you do not get free traits and can not shoot zod balls the entire game does not make an MU unwinnable. you can not base the martian MU off of your style of play. you have never attempted to do anything but run away from martian. zod's mediocre strings and pressure options are still viable in the match up. sitting full screen and trying to zone a character like martian is not.

Last edited:

M2Dave

Zoning Master
your character has the ability to basically take a life bar if you combo into trait. people run too quickly to say an MU is 7-3. just because you do not get free traits and can not shoot zod balls the entire game does not make an MU unwinnable. you can not base the martian MU off of your style of play. you have never attempted to do anything but run away from martian. zod's mediocre strings and pressure options are still viable in the match up. sitting full screen and trying to zone a character like martian is not.
Viable? You are a fool. What "pressure options"? All of Zod's strings leave Zod at a disadvantage with the exception of 1,1,2, which hits high and has no range. If you block low, Zod can do nothing to you. In the worst case scenario, you may get thrown. The point is, Zod has no mix ups and no frame advantage outside of trait.

I am not going to spend another whole year arguing why this match is really bad for my character. I did so in Mortal Kombat to no avail. As far as I am concerned, you are as much of a down player as Wafflez. Every reasonable person should be able to understand why this match is really bad for Zod.

In order for Zod to do well in this match, I would something as brain dead as your overhead teleport. I would need something that I can do without any thinking and consequences. Perhaps a safe charge or no start up on trait activation would make the match fair.

EMPEROR_JUPITER

Your ego betrays you.
Viable? You are a fool. What "pressure options"? All of Zod's strings leave Zod at a disadvantage with the exception of 1,1,2, which hits high and has no range. If you block low, Zod can do nothing to you. In the worst case scenario, you may get thrown. The point is, Zod has no mix ups and no frame advantage outside of trait.

I am not going to spend another whole year arguing why this match is really bad for my character. I did so in Mortal Kombat to no avail. As far as I am concerned, you are as much of a down player as Wafflez. Every reasonable person should be able to understand why this match is really bad for Zod.

In order for Zod to do well in this match, I would something as brain dead as your overhead teleport. I would need something that I can do without any thinking and consequences. Perhaps a safe charge or no start up on trait activation would make the match fair.
I'm the downplayer here? because i think its 6-4 and not 7-3? I'm not going to get into an OH teleport argument, but you and pig change MU numbers because somebody beat you in a set. I never said it wasn't really bad for him. But some people in this game simply think a tough MU is automatically a 7-3 because you can't abuse a certain tool that u can abuse on other characters.

MK_Chameleon

The wizard of Zod
LBSH Zod without trait is a high tier character. Only still high because of IAZB take that away and hes easily bottom 10. This is what martian does to Zod, he turns Zod into a bottom 10 character. A smart MMH can just zone Zod and wait for the Zod to come to him in which case he gets destroyed by MMH trait footsies.

The only time this match is not one sided is when zod gets trait out which a smart MMH should never allow to happen unless I get a hard knockdown, again no footsies how can I hit you. He shuts down all non hard knockdown trait activation setups like MB laser MB IAZB Slow IAZB. That leaves two very rare options you get hit by MB sidearms or get hit by MB Force push and you still may be able to punish the trait activation after MB force push on hit with IATP not sure about this yet.

So yayy I managed to get trait out that given me 5 seconds of pressure cant do full screen 50/50 mixup on MMH cause of IATP so I have to rush down. Both sidearm and Forcepush leave MMH full screen have to zod charge in there goes 2 seconds of trait now 3 second mixup. Dont want to deal with pressure so you push block, that leaves me with about two trait slashes before traits gone and back to the 7-3 matchup.

Side note MMH should always MB B3 instead of pushblock zod when hes coming in at you with trait. We zods are smart and will just MB B3 the pushblock for a full combo punish. But your MMH says screw your MB B3, mines hits twice.

EMPEROR_JUPITER

Your ego betrays you.
LBSH Zod without trait is a high tier character. Only still high because of IAZB take that away and hes easily bottom 10. This is what martian does to Zod, he turns Zod into a bottom 10 character. A smart MMH can just zone Zod and wait for the Zod to come to him in which case he gets destroyed by MMH trait footsies.

The only time this match is not one sided is when zod gets trait out which a smart MMH should never allow to happen unless I get a hard knockdown, again no footsies how can I hit you. He shuts down all non hard knockdown trait activation setups like MB laser MB IAZB Slow IAZB. That leaves two very rare options you get hit by MB sidearms or get hit by MB Force push and you still may be able to punish the trait activation after MB force push on hit with IATP not sure about this yet.

So yayy I managed to get trait out that given me 5 seconds of pressure cant do full screen 50/50 mixup on MMH cause of IATP so I have to rush down. Both sidearm and Forcepush leave MMH full screen have to zod charge in there goes 2 seconds of trait now 3 second mixup. Dont want to deal with pressure so you push block, that leaves me with about two trait slashes before traits gone and back to the 7-3 matchup.

Side note MMH should always MB B3 instead of pushblock zod when hes coming in at you with trait. We zods are smart and will just MB B3 the pushblock for a full combo punish. But your MMH says screw your MB B3, mines hits twice.
i understand your points your making here. MMH beats zod just about in every aspect. but MMH CAN NOT zone zod pillars are - 17 on block. i learned that by playing the MU non stop. trait is very hard to get out against MMH but it is possible.. when playing a strong zod with solid fundamentals, the best way to get in is teleporting. which people still seem to let MMH players abuse the teleport when there are many ways around it. every combo you get still gives you up to 40% into a free trait, and mb b3ing while u have trait out isnt worth the risk. i only do it in desperate situations and mmh's b3 is too slow. i agree with you when you say that MMH takes away zod balls. but he only limits the trait. he doesn't totally take it away

dribirut

BLAK FELOW

youre a great player but your play style is horrible for this matchup

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
Two months later...

- matches in green have improved. Matches in red have deteriorated. Matches in white have remained the same.

- From my experience, Martian Manhunter is by far Zod's worst match up. Then Aquaman. Zod goes even or beats every other character.

- Bane and Catwoman have been changed to 5:5, but these two match ups could some day be in Zod's favor, especially the Catwoman one.

Aquaman: 4:6
Ares: 6:4
Bane: 5:5
Batman: 5:5
Batgirl: 5:5
Black Adam: 6:4
Catwoman: 5:5
Cyborg: 7:3
Deathstroke: 6:4
Doomsday: 5:5
Flash: 5:5
Green Arrow: 6:4
Green Lantern: 6:4
Harley Quinn: 6:4
Hawkgirl: 7:3
Joker: 7:3
Killer Frost: 5:5
Lex Luthor: 6:4
Lobo: 6:4
Martian Manhunter: 3:7
Nightwing: 6:4
Raven: 5:5
Scorpion: 5:5
Shazam: 7:3
Sinestro: 5:5
Solomon Grundy: 6:4
Superman: 5:5
Wonder Woman: 5:5
Zatanna: 5:5

@AK Pig Of The Hut
@MK_Chameleon
Great list. I agree although I also, think Zod could beat Flash as well as Killer Frost 6:4.

Curious to know your thoughts on why Shazam is a 7-3?

Or Zatanna just 5-5?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
youre a great player but your play style is horrible for this matchup
I have just explained to you how Zod has no offense without trait. How else am I supposed to play?

Great list. I agree although I also, think Zod could beat Flash as well as Killer Frost 6:4.

Curious to know your thoughts on why Shazam is a 7-3?

Or Zatanna just 5-5?
I think Flash and Killer Frost are 5:5.

From my experience, Zod can zone Shazam fairly easily. Zod has the ability to anticipate a teleport, push back Shazam full screen away, and be at a significant advantage. No other zoning character can do so.

Zatanna is definitely 5:5. After fighting Deg and Mr. Mileena, she is a difficult 5:5. Pig does better in this match than I do.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
...but you and pig change MU numbers because somebody beat you in a set.
Pig honestly does. But I do not. I have always thought that Zod loses 7:3 to Martian Manhunter whether I was losing, going even, or winning. Why do you think I was criticizing you for playing the match incorrectly?

I know Zod. I know my character. I know when a match is not as bad as people claim (i.e., vs. Sinestro) and I know when it is truly bad (i.e., versus Martian Manhunter).

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
I'll say this much. Zod has more options to deal with Martian than Ares does. A better dash, a projectile that isn't slow or uses meter, better trait...yeah. I think i've proven my point.

MK_Chameleon

The wizard of Zod
No MMH throws pillars without having a orb or meteor beforehand also my only anti zoning option is sidearm which is too risky because of martian teleports that lead into 40%+ a free mixup afterwards.
Theres something that MMH players take for granted and thats the fear that players must have against MMH knowing that he can teleport at any moment and you must always be on guard.
The fear alone is enough to force people to not try to zone even on a -17 move

EMPEROR_JUPITER

Your ego betrays you.
@EMPEROR_JUPITER develop your ZOD some more then play Reo or maybe blak felow and show us some answers
pig i was not saying that in a bad way. but you must admit you have changed MU numbers around a lot depending on how you do against a player of a certain character. earlier in this thread you called this MU a 5-5 and now you are saying its a 7-3. people sometimes think a tough 6-4 is a 7-3 because they might have been out played

Last edited:

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
pig i was not saying that in a bad way. but you must admit you have changed MU numbers around a lot depending on how you do against a player of a certain character. earlier in this thread you called this MU a 5-5 and now you are saying its a 7-3. people sometimes think a tough 6-4 is a 7-3 because they might have been out played
I admit being outplayed and my MU charts are never set in stone, they are always living and growing

But I'm saying it's getting worse n worse not better and I'd like to see a ZOD show me or Dave we are wrong . I'm persistent and will play you as many hours as it takes but need you to play me to do so. I'll rewatch every match and try not to make same mistakes

I already did our last series and see three things I have absolutely got to f ing stop doing

Id appreciate hours of games w u.

EMPEROR_JUPITER

Your ego betrays you.
I admit being outplayed and my MU charts are never set in stone, they are always living and growing

But I'm saying it's getting worse n worse not better and I'd like to see a ZOD show me or Dave we are wrong . I'm persistent and will play you as many hours as it takes but need you to play me to do so. I'll rewatch every match and try not to make same mistakes

I already did our last series and see three things I have absolutely got to f ing stop doing

Id appreciate hours of games w u.
I understand that your tier lists changes and grows because the game is still somewhat young. but i justthink 7-3 is a little bit of an exaggeration. I think MMH 7-3s hawkgirl and i just think to my self "no way does MMH beat zod as badly as he beats hawkgirl" and that MU is basically unwinnable. and you know i'd be happy to play you online, but you are usually playing somebody or in training mode.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
I understand that your tier lists changes and grows because the game is still somewhat young. but i justthink 7-3 is a little bit of an exaggeration. I think MMH 7-3s hawkgirl and i just think to my self "no way does MMH beat zod as badly as he beats hawkgirl" and that MU is basically unwinnable. and you know i'd be happy to play you online, but you are usually playing somebody or in training mode.
I'll quit any series w anyone mid match to play u here on out

I only wanna play against MMH

smoke probably beat freddy 8-2, freddy could only fish for 50 50 and he had like no way of getting them started

zod can atleast turtle for trait and go for mixups, then again mmh will just pushblock and guard against long range mixups, zod can compete on stages where he gets free interactions a lot with trait

Last edited: