What's new

Anyone read any good comics recently?

Mills

Born on a Monday
Always was interested in comics but never got around to reading any, found a lot of Batman comics so starting them in chronological order from Year One and it's awesome

I've saw a few of the DC animated films and they were really good and loved the Injustice story mode, any recommendations for good series's because the Batman is the only one i'm starting to read at this time

Does Black Adam have his own comic or does he just pop up time to time in others (I think he's one of the coolest on the game)

ShowboatingPenguin

Nothing gets past the Cold Field.
Always was interested in comics but never got around to reading any, found a lot of Batman comics so starting them in chronological order from Year One and it's awesome

I've saw a few of the DC animated films and they were really good and loved the Injustice story mode, any recommendations for good series's because the Batman is the only one i'm starting to read at this time

Does Black Adam have his own comic or does he just pop up time to time in others (I think he's one of the coolest on the game)
Black Adam does have his own trade/story.
Black Adam: The Dark Age.

My new Laptop has a comic book reader app so I actually have over 30 comics. I just haven't read all of them. I love the Dark Knight Returns too. It's a lot of things I can do as an adult & enjoying comics is one of them lol.
Yeah I know what you mean. For the first time ever I am actually interested in getting a tablet just for comics. The New 52 series is a good place to start in the world of DC. I've been on a binge myself and its costing me a pretty penny. Its cheaper buying them digitally. New 52 Superman, Detective Comics, Flash are on my read list.

Saw Iron Man 3 recently and ran into The Wolverine trailer. Anyone know about the graphic novel coming out July 2. Wolverine by Mark Millar? I hope there is a digital version of that, cause the msrp is outrageous.

Chrishaspads

Name isn't Chris, Doesn't have pads
i want to begin getting into comics but i dont know were to start any good ones that have recently started not too long ago

If you have Netflix. Batman Year One animated movie is on there. There is a bunch of other DC and Marvel stuff on Netflix too.

EGGXI

Scary Bat
i want to begin getting into comics but i dont know were to start any good ones that have recently started not too long ago
What superhero do you want to read? Lot's of comics rebooted/restarted recently so new readers could easily jump on. Buy the no.1 issue of whatever hero you like under the New 52 titles.

I've been reading the Sonic X Mega Man crossover by Archie Comics. Its pretty good and recommend a fan of either franchise to check it out.

Scarlett Viper

Let's begin the witching hour.

Chrishaspads

Name isn't Chris, Doesn't have pads
What superhero do you want to read? Lot's of comics rebooted/restarted recently so new readers could easily jump on. Buy the no.1 issue of whatever hero you like under the New 52 titles.
thank you! and btw i wanted to read the batman death of the family comics in order, do they have a book of them in order all together?

EGGXI

Scary Bat
thank you! and btw i wanted to read the batman death of the family comics in order, do they have a book of them in order all together?
From what I gather there will be two volumes released:
The two titles will be Batman: Death of the Family (probablyBatman Vol. 3) and Joker: Death of the Family Companion.

The second will have all the tie-ins, release date isn't specified other than before the end of the year, sorry.

CCVengeance

The one guy hoping for Kai
Yo I love DC but LBSH here Marvel's where it's at right now:
X-Men Legacy is an amazing read.It's such a fun,multi-layered story filled with Spurrier's razor-sharp wit.
Bendis is doing the work of his carreer with ANXM and Uncanny.THe world turned it's back on Cyclops so he decided to stick a big,hard mutant revolution up it's arse.Read it to believe it!
Thor:God of Thunder.Read it.You gonna love it,I garantee it!

Now besides that there is something I need to get out of my chest.Uncanny Avengers and Hickman's Avengers/NA.By the love of TOAA,this is confusing.The plots that both Remender and Hickman are planting are amazing,the best the franchise has had in years!The art?One of the best in the biz!However this is all held back by overall terrible characterization:
-The Avengers are acting like bona fide bullies.A scared kid defends himself from a rushing Hulk by ACCIDENT and he is suddenly the scum of the Earth?Not to mention Ex Nihilo or wahtever kills millions and you just leave him be?
-Wonder Man's brother dies and he is more interested in fucking Scarlet Witch.Da fuck?
-Speaking of which.Scarlet Witch.Rogue.Wasp.3 iconic,kick-ass female characters are suddenly downgraded to catfights and the game of who gets to sleep with Havok first.
There's probably more but this is just at the top of my head.

EGGXI

Scary Bat
Yo I love DC but LBSH here Marvel's where it's at right now.
I don't know they both have strong/weak titles, but I will say I think Marvel's ratio is probably a bit better! All-New X-Men/Legacy is some of the most fine ass story I have seen in a long time. Ultimate X-Men/Spider-Man might be some of the best stuff I have read in a long time too, UXM is getting back to the roots of the X-Men story but in a new way and USM is just... god damn Miles Morales is the bomb.

BUT: Fuck bringing the Wasp back man, literally Marvel have become on par with DC with their inability to kill anyone off, and in recent years I would wager that perhaps Marvel has now killed/brought back more than DC has. I hate that, death in comics should be sacred, it would actually mean something other than a minor point in sales. I swear if USM brings back Pete I will lose all of the shit.

Thor gets props too. So does Avengers Arena if it is killing off my favourite young heroes (who will be brought back) and is cashing in the Hunger Games/Battle Royale market. Young Avengers is now pretty terrible IMO.

CCVengeance

I don't know they both have strong/weak titles, but I will say I think Marvel's ratio is probably a bit better! All-New X-Men/Legacy is some of the most fine ass story I have seen in a long time. Ultimate X-Men/Spider-Man might be some of the best stuff I have read in a long time too, UXM is getting back to the roots of the X-Men story but in a new way and USM is just... god damn Miles Morales is the bomb.

BUT: Fuck bringing the Wasp back man, literally Marvel have become on par with DC with their inability to kill anyone off, and in recent years I would wager that perhaps Marvel has now killed/brought back more than DC has. I hate that, death in comics should be sacred, it would actually mean something other than a minor point in sales. I swear if USM brings back Pete I will lose all of the shit.

Thor gets props too. So does Avengers Arena if it is killing off my favourite young heroes (who will be brought back) and is cashing in the Hunger Games/Battle Royale market. Young Avengers is now pretty terrible IMO.
Hold the fuck up!What?

CCVengeance

Not as good as it was, IMO. I really don't get the hype.

A lot of it seems like it's just pandering to fans on tumblr.
No,no,no,just no.YA used to be a stereotype-filled party lead by a Mary-Sue reality worping monster.
Now YA is actually about Teddy telling said Mary-Sue how things really are and actually doing stuff with Teen characters that deserve the spotlight(Marvel Boy,MAC).THe only good thing the Original YA did was kill most of them off.And with that I leave you this: The YA could had brought Vision back to life,but didnt cause they didnt want to tell him his GF died.What piece of excrement logic is that?
Current YA is the best of the Avengers line only beaten by Avengers/New Avengers.Hold that!

Speaking of which there are things the Avengers line needs to do:
-Give Captain Marvel her own team.
-Give Cannonball a team.Preferbly with all the new youngters(Sunspot,Eden and Smasher).
-Cut off the cancerous Wolverine and put Quicksilver in Uncanny Avengers.
In fact my prefered UA roster would be:
-Captain Marvel
-Scarlet Witch
-Quicksilver
-Wonder Man
-Justice
-Dazzler
-Any others
-Put Quicksilver in the JGS.

EGGXI

Scary Bat
CCVengeance Speed > Quicksilver.

I mean really, Quicksilver is a tremendous bag of dicks. Don't get me wrong, love him as a character, but when you put him on a team he's always used as an excuse to stir up shit. It gets tedious.
Not going to argue the YA stuff further, nothing good will come of it lol.
Only thing I will say is that everyone has sort of conveniently forgotten that Marvel Boy was a proper avenger for a while there, feels like he has been demoted.

Dazzler was really, really good in Xtreme X-Men recently. At the end of it Logan offers her a chance to teach, she says maybe so there's a good chance she'll turn up in an X-men or UA book soon. I still don't get Avenger logic though: "Cyclops screwed about and abused his power, he is forever doomed, oh hey look guys! Scarlet Witch is back, the one who went crazy, warped all of reality, essentially commited an act not entirely unlike the genocide of a species and killed a bunch of Avengers! WELCOME BACK SCARLET WITCH!"

sea_guy

Monitor
If you want a serious reading list of the DCU's absolute best, here's the list of trade paperbacks I would recommend to someone intelligent but new to comics, in this exact order:

Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud

The Dark Knight Returns
Doom Patrol TPBs 1-4
Flex Mentallo
JLA TPBs 1-4 + DC One Million TPB
52 TPBs 1-4
All Star Superman
Batman & Son
Batman The Black Glove
Batman RIP
Seven Soldiers TPBs 1-4
Final Crisis
Batman and Robin TPBs 1-2
Time and the Batman
The Return of Bruce Wayne
Batman and Robin TPB 3
Batman Inc

The Gabriel

Mean Man
If you want a serious reading list of the DCU's absolute best, here's the list of trade paperbacks I would recommend to someone intelligent but new to comics, in this exact order:

Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud

The Dark Knight Returns
Doom Patrol TPBs 1-4
Flex Mentallo
JLA TPBs 1-4 + DC One Million TPB
52 TPBs 1-4
All Star Superman
Batman & Son
Batman The Black Glove
Batman RIP
Seven Soldiers TPBs 1-4
Final Crisis
Batman and Robin TPBs 1-2
Time and the Batman
The Return of Bruce Wayne
Batman and Robin TPB 3
Batman Inc
lol...a lot of variety there...

CCVengeance

Continued rant:
Someone hold me as I dare to analyze the current plot of Avengers/New Avengers:
So the timeline would go like this:
-Billions of years ago:In an unknown universe The Great Destroyer is born.
-His existence causes 2 universes to crash into eachother and destroy eachother when both their Earths collide.This is called an Incursion.
-It's discovered that by sacrifising one of the Earths both universes are spared.
-The Black swans travel through Incursions,destroying one of the Earths to spare both universes.
-Years ago:Tamara has an accident that leaves her in a coma.Her dauther dissapears.
-Sensing that it is broken the Uni-force bounds itself to Tamara which keeps her alive.Captain universe has a new,permanent host.
-Some time ago:Hyperion's Universe is destroyed but he somwhow survives in a blank universe.Interesting is the fact he was wearing a costume before the Incursion and moments later he had a different one.
-AIM rescues and then captures Hyperion in the 616 universe.The Avengers save him and offer him membership.
-Little bit ago: Smasher becomes the first human member of the Imperial Guard.It is revealed that the Shiar's enemies were escaping from something.
-Just a bit ago:The first Incursion of 616 happens in Wakanda.Black Swan destroys the other Earth and is captured by Black Panther.
-The Illuminati reform.They try their best to stop the Incursions without sacrifising lives.
-All of the Infinity Gems minus the Time Gem are destroyed when Cap fails to stop an Incursion.He is kicked out of the team and gets his memories wiped by Doctor Strange.
-CURRENT TIME:The Avengers World try to stop a group of Builders that launched origin bombs to Earth.They surrender when they see Captain Universe,who they worship like a Goddess.By her words the Avengers leave them alone(even though they shouldnt have.)
-The Avengers take Ex Nihilo's human "son" Adam to Earth.
-The White Event happens.
-The Starbrand,which chooses a wielder to protect Earth is in conflict between 2 systems.One I assume it's the Earth itself,the other the Incursions happening across the Multiverse.
-The Starbrand chooses some geek called Kevin who destroys his university when his powers manifest.
-Adam becomes Nightmask and finds out Ex Nihilo,out of boredom,gave Earth sentience.Starbrand and Nightmask accidently destroy said sentience.They are imprisoned in the sun for their own safety.
-According to a possesed Vindicator,The System is Online.

That's it so far.

CCVengeance

CCVengeance Speed > Quicksilver.

I mean really, Quicksilver is a tremendous bag of dicks. Don't get me wrong, love him as a character, but when you put him on a team he's always used as an excuse to stir up shit. It gets tedious.
Not going to argue the YA stuff further, nothing good will come of it lol.
Only thing I will say is that everyone has sort of conveniently forgotten that Marvel Boy was a proper avenger for a while there, feels like he has been demoted.

Dazzler was really, really good in Xtreme X-Men recently. At the end of it Logan offers her a chance to teach, she says maybe so there's a good chance she'll turn up in an X-men or UA book soon. I still don't get Avenger logic though: "Cyclops screwed about and abused his power, he is forever doomed, oh hey look guys! Scarlet Witch is back, the one who went crazy, warped all of reality, essentially commited an act not entirely unlike the genocide of a species and killed a bunch of Avengers! WELCOME BACK SCARLET WITCH!"
First: No. Pietro Django Maximoff>his quickshot nephew.
Of course he is there to stirr shit.That's his job.
Second:Yeah Marvel Boy was The Protector but he really didnt do anything in the 3 plus years Bendis wrote him.
Third:Bendis has confirmed Dazzler will be in Uncanny X-men as an Agent of SHIELD.
fourth:Cassie stay dead!
EDIT: On the Scarlet Bitch thing.I LOLed at her logic.SHe said and I quoute: "Why was it so important for new mutantsto be born?".THe dumb gypsy never heard of the Celestials?You know those godlike beings that will destroy the Earth if Evolution fails to proceed?Who's attention you very much caught when you essentially murdered Mutantkind?Ring any bells?No?Okay then,

EGGXI

Scary Bat
CCVengeance I think Quicksilver was pretty decent in Avengers Academy, his interactions were better than the usual "Pietro you asshole!". Dazzler is all kinds of awesome so good for her, but Agent of SHIELD? Uuuugh. All SHIELD stuff makes me cringe a bit ever since they rushed the introduction of the New Nick Fury and Coulson. Because comics now how to reflect the movie, and not the other way around. It wouldn't have been as bad if they had just grabbed Ultimate Nick Fury.
Cassie should stay dead, it's makes Scott Lang more interesting for a start.
I just think some of the current run of YA is meh. Maybe it'll grow on me, I'm excited to see them introduced David/Prodigy, I haven't seen him in ages!

EGGXI

Scary Bat
Sorry for the double post, but Injustice 17 is out today. Issue focuses on Catwoman.
For those looking to get into comics from the game, if you haven't already, please read Injustice as it is probably the only game tie-in comic with good story/well-written that I have ever read. Hell it's even better than some N52 titles out there (F%'king Stormwatch!)

Sorry for the double post, but Injustice 17 is out today. Issue focuses on Catwoman.
For those looking to get into comics from the game, if you haven't already, please read Injustice as it is probably the only game tie-in comic with good story/well-written that I have ever read. Hell it's even better than some N52 titles out there (F%'king Stormwatch!)

Thanks for the heads up.

@ EGGXI. Have you read the Earth One issues? I have the Batman EO sample, not bad for three pages. Also thinking of Superman EO vol's 1 and 2.