What's new

Amplified (EX, MB) moves — Universal inputs are back

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
Fuck a block button in a 2d game, throws should not be 50\50 or tied to crushing blows and dick punch is d1.

Just my opinion on what would make the game more enjoyable for me and I know none of them would ever happen so I am not really serious about it.
Your problem dude, MK11 already looks amazing and nothing needs be changed from those things. That's how MK works in general and in this game, period.

Moving on.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
Yeah if they were going to change it from the block button why not just move it to the stance change button to avoid any potential input errors.

I would hope they have some sort of "priority" system in play so if you are in the timing window to amplify a move amplifying gets priority over using the interactible.
But, what if you actually wanted to grab the interactable within a combo, instead of amplifying a move?

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies
My first concern when they said this was, “what happens when you’re standing in front of an interactable?”

Which one takes priority? Will it be another annoyance like Cassie’s combo in MKX?
I thought about this too, but if amplified moves are still dependent on pressing them DURING a certain period of a regular special, it shouldn't be an issue. In that case, the intractable wouldn't come out because you'd be mid-animation or in recovery from the special anyway. If you had to press the button first and then input a move I could see how it would be a huge problem, but as it is I think/hope it will be fine.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Well, apparently not in modern fighting games because everything has been simplified.

Again, this change has been reverted by Boon to appease scrubs.
You don’t need high execution to have a large skill gap in any fighting game.

Simple games tend to lead to complex metas.
Complex games tend to lead to simple metas.

Not saying everything needs to be braindead easy. But it certainly doesn’t need to be overly complicated either.

Roy Arkon

I thought about this too, but if amplified moves are still dependent on pressing them DURING a certain period of a regular special, it shouldn't be an issue. In that case, the intractable wouldn't come out because you'd be mid-animation or in recovery from the special anyway. If you had to press the button first and then input a move I could see how it would be a huge problem, but as it is I think/hope it will be fine.
Good point dude, this will very likely be the case.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
You don’t need high execution to have a large skill gap in any fighting game.

Simple games tend to lead to complex metas.
Complex games tend to lead to simple metas.

Not saying everything needs to be braindead easy. But it certainly doesn’t need to be overly complicated either.
Your only competitive fighting game in your life was Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 so I understand your simple-minded rationale entirely.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Just as a reminder, they did say they ran tests before making the adjustment. It's not like they were super into the idea and just freaked out when the world did. It sound like like they weren't super happy with it to begin with, and when most people were against it, they compared their options and went with what was working.

I personally thought the idea was off putting. They are doing more than enough with MK to make it more technical, and really don't need to take it that far. They can try it in IJ3 or let someone else see if it works.

Roy Arkon

Isn't the whole point of throw to act like a 50/50 (or mixup) to keep the opponent from simply holding block all day?
Yes. MK has a block button, so pressing either forward or backwards will prevent the defender from just keep blocking all the time. IJ is a back-to-block format game, so obviously it needed to use another input instead of directional inputs, and because they decided to use only one button for it, there is no 50/50 aspect of it in IJ. But it is the case for MK. Also, MK is always an offensive game, so even though MK11 is not as offensive as MKX, it's still gonna be offensive to some extend, which is why it doesn't have that many 50/50 mixups like in MKX but still has the 50/50 aspect for throws.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Isn't the whole point of throw to act like a 50/50 (or mixup) to keep the opponent from simply holding block all day?
Just my opinion but I think you should be able to block all day in a game with normal chip damage and chip kills especially if it builds opponents meter. You should not have to guess on a 50\50 if you happen to break the throw to begin with.

Kal

<3
I really don't like this decision. I get that casuals might have some difficulty with this but it's like everything has to cater to them nowadays.
I don't really mind it one way or the other, I just think it's hilarious that people will claim to have a shred of skill at any fighting game but will then complain about having to remember an extra input.
Scrubs want easy inputs. Some high level players want counter picking.

Maybe there is some hope that tournament mode has difficult inputs.
It has nothing to do with casuals or skill-less or scrubs. It was a pointless design decision that served no purpose. It doesn't add depth, it doesn't add strategy, it doesn't add anything useful to game. It was just a nuisance to have. I understand if certain moves for example could have 2 different outcomes when you amplify them, but those don't exist in the game. I wish they did.

It's just a pointless thing to have and just another thing to remember when switching between characters or variations even. Why? What is the point? It doesn't all of a sudden make you a better player if you remember those inputs, and don't even bring up execution. MK execution was always piss easy and extremely lenient and that's definitely not a way to make it "harder". It was just annoying.

But hey, I guess even NRS pros are scrubs in your minds then.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Just my opinion but I think you should be able to block all day in a game with normal chip damage and chip kills especially if it builds opponents meter. You should not have to guess on a 50\50 if you happen to break the throw to begin with.
That's cool. I just kind of like having that block/attack/throw triangle mixup in fighting games.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
I don't argue that one bit, I just think you should be able to consistently tech throws in all fighting games without a 50\5o attached to the end of a already teched throw. Hell it even hurts you when you tech throw.
I agree with this. I wish they’d remove the directional requirement, as teching a throw is already hard enough without that.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
I agree with this. I wish they’d remove the directional requirement, as teching a throw is already hard enough without that.
They do seem really quick in mkx 10f ish i am guessing and the tech window is maybe 4-5 frames? They just look like standing 1's to me most the time but I am just a filthy casual but I would love to hear top players input on the subject.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Your only competitive fighting game in your life was Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 so I understand your simple-minded rationale entirely.
I’ve played nearly every fighting game that has come out except for the new Tekken’s and anime’s (except for DBFZ).

How about you argue like an adult and stop resorting to bad ad hominem attempts?

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
Multiple inputs for multiple moves that are not uniform across the entire cast is fucking stupid and im glad its gone.

Imagine if you had to hit extra buttons and random directions to EX a fireball or a hurricane kick for Ryu.

Literally no point, or value to the old system and very much for the best in every perceivable metric that its gone.

Roy Arkon

But then what other input are you gonna add instead? MK has a block button, which is the same button for teching throws in IJ. So you're gonna block in an MK game, and then tap the block button a second time while you are being thrown? That actually sounds HARDER as you basically have to tap the block button at the perfect timing, while with directional buttons it should be easier to pull off since it's not the same input. You can't have the same button doing 2 commands that can be mixed with each other. Not to mention that once again, MK is a lot more offensive then IJ, so it must have some offensive aspects to it. So it only make sense that the 50/50 aspects of throws will be still be there.

Last edited:

stokedAF

casual kahnage
I like both. I haven’t played it but it seemed fine. I prefer just pressing block to burn meter (why the switch?) but I didn’t mind the change of individual input. I can see why they changed it because it’s the “wrong kind of difficult” but I don’t think they should scrap the feature. Use it in towers or something like that.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
But then what other input are you gonna add instead? MK has a block button, which is the same button for teching throws in IJ. So you're gonna block in an MK game, and then tap the block button a second time while you are being thrown? That actually sounds HARDER as you basically have to tap the block button at the perfect timing, while with directional buttons it should be easier to pull off since it's not the same input. You can't have the same button doing to commands that can be mixed with each other. Not to mention that once again, MK is a lot more offensive then IJ, so it must have some offensive aspects to it. So it only make sense that the 50/50 aspects of throws will be still be there.
What is wrong with teching the throw with 1+3 like every other 2d fighting game that I can think of? I mean you already have to react to it to begin with so it is not easy mode.