What's new

Amplified (EX, MB) moves — Universal inputs are back

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me
GOOD. Glad they did this. Even Ed Boon preferred the simple one button amplify. This is how it should be and I'm glad they decided to change it back to this.

The more complex button inputs were the most unnecessary thing. Seeing people say shit like:

I just think it's hilarious that people will claim to have a shred of skill at any fighting game but will then complain about having to remember an extra input.
But it's not like learning the inputs make you some big dick pro, bro.

If even the pros are like "This change is unnecessary." It means it's unnecessary. If the Creative Director and co-creator of Mortal Kombat says he prefers the more simple one-button amplify, that's what it should be. Why make something complicated to cater to edgy pros who make up a minority of their player base. 95% of people either wanted it changed back or don't care.

You say they shouldn't make something more simple to cater to casuals, but I don't think they should reach and make something too complicated to make wannabe pros feel better about themselves.

Pros only play one or two characters, so yeah it's not gonna be a big deal for them. But I like to try out everyone. That's a lot of unnecessary inputs to remember for every single character.

If you say this:

Scrubs want easy inputs. Some high level want counter picking.
No. Literally all the real pros or high level players who I've seen speak on it said they prefer the simple execution so. Being able to enter more inputs doesn't make you a better or more skilled player.

Y'all learn how to hit a combo and immediately think your opinions should overrule the rest. Half of y'all complaining won't even compete in a high-level environment and are likely gonna get scrubbed...but go awf I guess.

Although I was never campaigning for its change, I like it better this way. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone either, as Boon intimated on Week 1 that it might change because he likes the idea of a simpler input for it.

Chuckyscookie

Here's to hoping.
I don't get why you'd call universal inputs that are easier to remember scrubby. Memorizing more inputs doesn't have anything to do with skill, it's just an unnecessary execution barrier. "Player skill" should come down to different things imo.

I'm really glad they changed this. Listening to feeback and adapting that fast while still working on the game is fantastic work.

I don't get the argument about "It's easier to remember the inputs". I know that nowadays people have a way less effective memory than in ancient times because we don't need to remember things thanks to the internet and the search engines, but your brain is not gonna explode after learning a few extra inputs. The human brain is capable of remembering way more stuff that we can ever think of.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 59910

I don't get the argument about "It's easier to remember the inputs". I know that nowadays people have a way less effective memory than in ancient times because we don't need to remember things thanks to the internet and the search engines, but your brain it's not gonna explode after learning a few extra inputs. The human brain is capable of remembering way more stuff that we can ever think of.
I completely respect your opinion, and I agree with the fact human brain is capable to remember a lot of things, but... Why? We have to remember a lot of things because it is important for us. Show me the importance of having a lot of different ex inputs for differents special moves, and I will chill. (If you say about skill, I'm already counter-argumentating: Does it matter knowing every input, but whiffing and being punished every time? The concept of skill in FGC is complex.)

Thingy

Retired account
Great change.

I will say that if armored moves were still a big part of the game, I would be all for a more complicated amplify/enhanced move system.

Darth Mao

Your Tech is Mine! #buffRaiden
Great! Now, as a disabled player, I have to map my entire joystick in a more complicated way just so I can TRY to fit in with a non-inclusive mechanic changed because a group of players is too lazy to decorate some more moves. If it was still in the Injustice 2 scheme or the old block button, ok, but no.

A great day to regret having pre-ordered. First, the extra Beta Test for those who live in the US, now this shit. Please, if you are going to make that change, at least return to the block button.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Now if we could get rid of the block button, increase the tech window of throws and remove the 50/50 aspect of it and kill the dick jab.

Sorry I will leave now :(

they’ve returned to using universal inputs to amplify moves.
>new, interesting concept
>one that no one's even "stress tested" yet
>irrespective, casual cretins cry "IT'S TOO HARD FOR MUCH SOY LECITHIN FILLED, JUNK FOOD AND LEADED WATER ADDLED BRAIN!"
>NRS back-pedal like craven hyena
>new, interesting concept that no one's even been able to properly adjudicate upon, gets canned in utero
>...done so, sans even an OPTION for those who wanted to at least TRY the new input scheme

Wow... What a 'surprise'... That the chorus of cretinous, ¢a$ual cries for an even more homogenised roster, won out (again)... And that fighting games are yet another step closer to becoming effectively non-existent--as a video game genre unto themselves.

On the upside, I do now think I finally understand the appeal of fascism: For when the majority are majority represented by 'the inferior', and the majority rule, 'the superior' are rendered mute and, therefore, humanity are placed on an inextricable path towards extinction. Tangentially, this is also why democracy inherently and unequivocally does not work... As the Greeks themselves realised, millennia ago.

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
When you guys get input mistakes because of input overlap I don't want any of you to complain about NRS because they did the optimal thing to avoid that and you guys disagreed and didn't even want to test it and see how it goes. I'm exaggerating and I know I stand with the minority so I'll just take this change as it is and move on
My first concern when they said this was, “what happens when you’re standing in front of an interactable?”

Which one takes priority? Will it be another annoyance like Cassie’s combo in MKX?

chrisofrays

Fish can hear you thinkin just before you sneeze
As soneone who likes to learn combos for lots of the cast, im happy with the change. Its giving people needless more things to memorise and would be nothing special once you did learn a characters unique MB inputs.

Also dont get why people are saying this change is for the scrubs. Learning unique meterburn inputs are not a sign of good executions skills.

Last edited:

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
Didn’t 16Bit say it’s right trigger button, which is in essence the block button?
I’m pretty sure he said the words “interact” and “right bumper” (which is the Xbox version of R1). Now you have me wanting to go back and rewatch to verify.

I completely respect your opinion, and I agree with the fact human brain is capable to remember a lot of things, but... Why? We have to remember a lot of things because it is important for us. Show me the importance of having a lot of different ex inputs for differents special moves, and I will chill. (If you say about skill, I'm already counter-argumentating: Does it matter knowing every input, but whiffing and being punished every time? The concept of skill in FGC is complex.)
There was an new interesting mechanic of gameplay that could allow, for exemple, to have multiple enhancements for one special. Let's imagine a command grab that you can amplify in two different ways, one for bigger damage and another one for a restand, it seems really cool to me.

But what I really meant is that everybody freaked out the very first day where they first announce the mechanic. There was petitions asking to revert the new amplified system to the old one but almost none of them actually played the game with the new system. Why did they ask to revert it if they didn't even try it in the first place ? Wasn't it the point of the beta to test the new features on a large scale, gather feedback and then deciding what to do for the final version of the game ? This is why I'm pissed off.

I'm not pro-old input or pro-new input, I'm pro-"let's give it a fucking try before reverting anything back to the old system".

Last edited:

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
I'm with the minority on this but I do understand why they changed it. Simpler is better in this regard I guess.

I actually kind of hope this universal change can be also a choice as I can also map it in the options menu.

I can see the benefits of both depending on the follow ups off amplified moves going into certain strings for extensions.

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
Now if we could get rid of the block button, increase the tech window of throws and remove the 50/50 aspect of it and kill the dick jab.

Sorry I will leave now :(
I'm sorry but that is ridiculous out of you to say. The Block Button is a must have thing in MK, and taking the 50/50 aspects of the throws will hurt the Krushing Blow mechanic as some of them are all about teaching throws in the wrong direction. And by "dick jab" you mean the Nut Punch? One of Johnny Cage's most iconic moves? Are you for real?

Those things are not gonna change and shouldn't be changed, period.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I was hoping to at least get a chance to try the new way out, but I'm fine sticking with what works.

Doctor Future

Baraka Lives!
I’m pretty sure he said the words “interact” and “right bumper” (which is the Xbox version of R1). Now you have me wanting to go back and rewatch to verify.
You’re right, he did say right bumper (interactable). So yes, my guess is that when you want to use an interactable and not an amplified move, you have to not be next to an interactable?

Either that or make the interactable button different entirely. Like the stance switch button. Lol. Idk.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
I'm sorry but that is ridiculous out of you to say. The Block Button is a must have thing in MK, and taking the 50/50 aspects of the throws will hurt the Krushing Blow mechanic as some of them are all about teaching throws in the wrong direction. And by "dick jab" you mean the Nut Punch? One of Johnny Cage's most iconic moves? Are you for real?

Those things are not gonna change and shouldn't be changed, period.
Fuck a block button in a 2d game, throws should not be 50\50 or tied to crushing blows and dick punch is d1.

Just my opinion on what would make the game more enjoyable for me and I know none of them would ever happen so I am not really serious about it.

medleyoz

Noob
My first concern when they said this was, “what happens when you’re standing in front of an interactable?”
Yeah if they were going to change it from the block button why not just move it to the stance change button to avoid any potential input errors.

I would hope they have some sort of "priority" system in play so if you are in the timing window to amplify a move amplifying gets priority over using the interactible.

Mind Flex

Mind Gamer. BOOSH
Ed Boon said during the reveal interview that he wants the game to be more about thinking and less about dexterity. I think reverting back to the universal button was in line with that same logic, which is ultimately the reason they went back to it. If fans complained but NRS thought they were right then they would have just ignored the fans and stuck to their guns on it.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I hate this.

Not becuase they changed it.

But because they didn’t make it an option.

I’d rather play with the new inputs, because they make combos feel more intricate and like full strings.

I hope that they just didn’t mention and it is toggleable because this bums me out.