What's new

Amplified (EX, MB) moves — Universal inputs are back

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
During today’s Kombat Kast, it was revealed that they’ve returned to using universal inputs to amplify moves.

However, they mentioned that it uses the interact button now (16bit said “right bumper” which is the Xbox equivalent to R1), rather than the block button.

Thought I’d make a new thread just in case people haven’t seen, since this was kind of a big deal.

EDIT: Interact button confirmed:
To be clear it is the interact button not block.

Last edited:

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies
I don't really mind it one way or the other, I just think it's hilarious that people will claim to have a shred of skill at any fighting game but will then complain about having to remember an extra input.
I think fussiness for fussiness sake is hard to justify. Yes, it isn't the BIGGEST deal to ask players to remember different button combinations for amplified moves, but you have to ask what does it add? What function is the extra layer of complexity serving? If there isn't a clear reason, do you really need it?

I'm glad the devs were receptive of the feedback they got and willing to reexamine their ideas. That's just good design.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
I actually liked

I can see why many people are against this but at the same time I actually liked the idea of adding more depth to learning each character.
I totally get that. I would just argue that there is adding depth, and there is adding needless complication. I think the reason for the initial change had more to do with trying to clean up inputs (avoiding chances for errors) anyway, and I think they'll accomplish it with this

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
I mean, if you want to make things more complicated for yourself, just throw on alternate controls. Or if you play on stick, leave on the regular ones

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Not a fan.

Doing an extra input for MBs was going to be fun imo. Its really not difficult to memorize 3-4 extra buttons when you are already memorizing 50+ inputs for all your multi-hit strings and specials. I am also going to have to figure out a new button layout since it was moved to interact button...

Also I was really hoping that rebranding them as amplified moves would actually mean something... having unique inputs means that characters would have been able to have multiple ways to amplify a special you could choose from, but now that cant be done... really lame everyone shut this down without trying it out and that Nrs immediately knee jerked one of their new ideas that quickly.

Last edited:

Roy Arkon

I will leave my seal on you!
Both options are good each in their own way, so while it would've be fine if they didn't change it, it's still nice to see that they did it. Also, having a universal input doesn't hurt the depth of the game at all, MK11 is already showing so much of it with things like the Variation System and the Krushing Blows, so it doesn't hurt the depth at all.

Good decision at the end of the day.

When you guys get input mistakes because of input overlap I don't want any of you to complain about NRS because they did the optimal thing to avoid that and you guys disagreed and didn't even want to test it and see how it goes. I'm exaggerating and I know I stand with the minority so I'll just take this change as it is and move on