What's new

Guide All-Star Superman Guide

Raynex

Intelligence + Speed + Power
Hey guys, I just have two questions.

I can't seem to do f2 into scoop. It always comes out as the low heat vision in the "Steel Rush" string. Any tips?
What does "mentos" mean?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
If you're using MK inputs (aka alternate controls off), scoop input is down, forward 1. You are likely not fully completing the motion, which is a common problem. If you direct your pad or stick to the diagonal down/forward instead of straight to the side you will not get your special move. Make sure you are cleanly executing the command and going from Down, past the diagonal, to forward, then hitting 1.

Steel Rush would come out because the diagonal down/forward is registered as down, and the mistaken string is F2, DOWN 1 for that low laser. Basically, clean up your inputs. Hope this wasn't too confusing...it's one of those things that's hard to describe online haha

Mentos is our awesome nickname for [MB] Breath, the one that freezes for a combo.

MashBot

You're over matched.
76% corner combo with 3MB (it is 75% without meter burning the last laser, but this way it's more flashy lol)

Bet you found out about this by mistake. I did the same thing last night (been playing marvel) and it was a mistake. I been been setting up the space ship off MB b3 it's a 100% combo rest I can post a vid if any wants

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
Lol imagine seeing that done at EVO when the opponent doesnt have clash.

ahah that would be so hype lol

But you you found out about this by mistake. I did the same thing last night (been playing marvel) and it was a mistake. I been been setting up the space ship off MB b3 it's a 100% combo I can post a vid if any wants

Honestly, I did this on purpose and didn't find it by mistake.
I was looking for ways to deal more damage and make good use of MB B3, that's all

TH3DISTURBED1

"Never say 'never'
But you you found out about this by mistake. I did the same thing last night (been playing marvel) and it was a mistake. I been been setting up the space ship off MB b3 it's a 100% combo I can post a vid if any wants
Would you? I'd like to see it!

TH3DISTURBED1

"Never say 'never'
Im very sorry I'm walking my dog it's a 100% reset with the ship. If you still want a vid I can still do it when I get back.
It's quite alright. I don't expect a video in the 10 seconds it takes to type this out. Most people have responsibilities in addition to loving video games.

FGC_Chukz

When's Injustice?
I played online for the first time and here was my experience.

A batman player was jumping in and crossing me up. I was forced to block because the down 2 is so slow that it doesn't even come out, I don't know if I was pressing it to late or if I'm using the wrong anti air or what.

A faced a green lantern, and I couldn't get him of I me every time I thought the string was done he did some grab move and I got caught with it everytime, and fwd 23 wasn't fast enough to punish.

Pretty much lack of game, matchup and general knowledge led to me getting blown up but that is why in posting here do it doesn't happen anymore.

What are Supermans mixups? I couldn't get anything going with forward 23 after it was blocked or whiffed becuase opponent was jumping.

How do I stop characters like Batman from getting in and crossing me up. Especially on wakeup down 2 just isn't fast enough to protect me.

What do I do on wakeup, I know I can input moves but none were comin out doni was force to block mixups.

Does superman have bad air normals? They don't seems to have the crossups potential that batman has.

After a forward23 is blocked and I use breath, what next?

And lastly punishing, I have no idea when to go offensive after blocking.

I was able to hit my midscreen no meter BnB in a matchsonyhat was an accomplishment, I just need to mixup and get good jumpin doni can be on the offensive and dish out Suoermans crazy dame, but have to iron out these kinks first.

T4T|Nevan

"Burn baby! Burn!"
My first point, don't take me wrong, but you can post these either on matchup thread or in the general discussion :p

What could help you is to watch games, you have the archives from EVO where KDZ won the Injustice tournament and you have loads of stuff to 'eat, feast and digest'. You can learn a lot by watching games and taking notes, I like to do that.

Now, onto your points, if they are jumping alot you can either d2 or use his air grab to put them in check. Batman has a great j2, good air to air, cross up and jump in. If he's jump happy you can also try to dash under him and try to punish or to get some breathing room. Injustice has a great training mode, you can make use of that by recreating the same situations you encounter and have trouble dealing with. By doing that you'll learn great stuff about your character and some matchup knowledge.

Regarding Green Lantern, again training mode helps and you can check the framedata of Green Lanterns moves/specials to see what can you punish and which moves do you have to punish a certain move. (Check this, its the Injustice Wiki from TYM, it contains the framedata for every character, including DLC: http://testyourmight.com/wiki/index.php/Injustice:_Gods_Among_Us) If you have trouble reading frame data we can help you with that.

Yeah the lift(Lanterns Might db1) from Green Lantern is usually followed up after b13, just block it he can't do much after you block the 'Lift'(that's what we called it around here) and if the frame data is correct from the wiki it's -26 on block, so thats highly punishable. Once more, hit the training mode and record Green Lantern doing b13 xx db1, then Playback and block the full string and see what can you do responding to that.

Superman, correct me if I'm wrong, isn't a character with many mixup options, he has a rather straightforward gameplay, but he has some tools to mix you up though. For example, say your oponent blocks a f23 breath, you can go again with a f23, but the second time instead of going for another breath, go for a scoop df1, a low instead of a mid. You can also go for a f2d1, a string that ends with a low. Even after f23 breath you can go for a MB b/f3 to beat attemps of poking from the opponent. These are some options to keep your oponent guessing and lead to guaranteed damage.

Well, you have options to anti-air jumping opponents it's just a matter to see the ones best suited for each jump. To deal with characters getting in Heat Zap(db3) and with Heat Vision(db1) to keep them at bay and you can respond with their attemps to deal with it.

On wakeup d2 isn't a good option, you can react with a wakeup depending of what the opponent's doing, if he's jumping try a MB/regular Rising Grab(db2) or just block, as blocking is generaly the best option. The wakeup window is a bit 'odd' to get used to if you are familiar with 'easier to see' wakeup windows like SSF4, it's a matter of habit to be honest.

Regarding his air normals I can't really give an input on that, since I don't know Superman that well, but his j2 is good for cross ups and you can use it with your air dash, which is a great movement tool, make sure to use it.

Your punishing options will revolve around f23, since it's a string that starts in 8f and the damage it leads...well it's damned great!

I hope I covered your questions and if anyone has better input, please help me out hehe

Injustice has a neutral game that it's not easy to get used to if you come from like SSF4, this is my case, so just practice, go to the lab, practice online and you'll get into it ;)

FGC_Chukz

When's Injustice?
[quote="T4T|Snip [/quote]

Thanks, I played again today and was working on my mistakes. I realized I wasn't cancelling F23 enough to make it safe. I wasn't blocking on wake up, and I was pressing to many buttons, and not jumping in myself.

Really what I need to work on now is mixing my opponent up. I would love to throw out a low scoop from time to time, but I'm to scared of using anything other than F23, but unless the opponent does something unsafe, they can just hold back against me.

Anyway in addition to that, what do you guys do when you are:

A: Avoiding rushdown. I zone to hell with Supes, but when they get in (a catwoman player) they just wrecked me easy, (probably pressing buttons)

B: Getting in on a more powerful zoning character. I think it was Sinestro I couldn't zone against him so I had to go in, (which ended badly)

Thanks!

Trip Se7ens

Nom Nom
Any Supermans have the problem of holding down to block and then trying to punish with f23 and getting stupid reversal upgrab crap?

Any Supermans have the problem of holding down to block and then trying to punish with f23 and getting stupid reversal upgrab crap?
Its a issue ingame involving the standard inputs of injustice where if you press downback or downforward it registers it as down+forward, which means its comes out as a move sometimes. This is fixed by just playing with the alternate(Street Fighter) controls.

Thanks, I played again today and was working on my mistakes. I realized I wasn't cancelling F23 enough to make it safe. I wasn't blocking on wake up, and I was pressing to many buttons, and not jumping in myself.

Really what I need to work on now is mixing my opponent up. I would love to throw out a low scoop from time to time, but I'm to scared of using anything other than F23, but unless the opponent does something unsafe, they can just hold back against me.

Anyway in addition to that, what do you guys do when you are:

A: Avoiding rushdown. I zone to hell with Supes, but when they get in (a catwoman player) they just wrecked me easy, (probably pressing buttons)

B: Getting in on a more powerful zoning character. I think it was Sinestro I couldn't zone against him so I had to go in, (which ended badly)

Thanks!
Its all getting used to the flow of the game and your own playstyle. Generally speaking I want to RTSD non-stop, but there are situations where I have to zone because I have the life lead and they have a scary mixup game which I want no part of.

In regards to mixing up, its really just as easy as that: Mix it up a little. Don't always mash F23 Breath, instead go for stuff like:
-F2d13 knockdown attempt into divepunch setups (Watch KDZ for this stuff its pretty dirty.)
-F23 Trait mixups such as f23 trait into throw, f23 trait into f3 (optional MB if they like to press buttons), even just do another f23 again.
-Jump setups. If the opponent starts to get scared to press anything go for a air dash 3 to see if you can get a cross up on them for more pressure.
- Scoop. Probably the most dangerous one to do because of how unsafe it is on block but good to throw once in a while just to be YOLO.
I tend to do these things alot and I've gotten infinite more mileage out of my superman this way. Let me know if any of this helps you out.

Edit: Can't quote apparently lol.

FGC_Chukz

When's Injustice?
Its all getting used to the flow of the game and your own playstyle. Generally speaking I want to RTSD non-stop, but there are situations where I have to zone because I have the life lead and they have a scary mixup game which I want no part of.

In regards to mixing up, its really just as easy as that: Mix it up a little. Don't always mash F23 Breath, instead go for stuff like:
-F2d13 knockdown attempt into divepunch setups (Watch KDZ for this stuff its pretty dirty.)
-F23 Trait mixups such as f23 trait into throw, f23 trait into f3 (optional MB if they like to press buttons), even just do another f23 again.
-Jump setups. If the opponent starts to get scared to press anything go for a air dash 3 to see if you can get a cross up on them for more pressure.
- Scoop. Probably the most dangerous one to do because of how unsafe it is on block but good to throw once in a while just to be YOLO.
I tend to do these things alot and I've gotten infinite more mileage out of my superman this way. Let me know if any of this helps you out.

Edit: Can't quote apparently lol.

Gameplay footage speaks louder than words. After I get done with Mahvel, going to grind in Injustice. I also go fro a lot of grabs, when close, but I think I explain in my video what my problems are, would love to hear your guys' responses.

Gameplay footage speaks louder than words. After I get done with Mahvel, going to grind in Injustice. I also go fro a lot of grabs, when close, but I think I explain in my video what my problems are, would love to hear your guys' responses.
Some stuff I found watching your video:
-You need to learn how to react to interactables. You can jump out of a majority of them on reaction, just practice doing that until you get used to it.
-Practice f23 breath on block. Its very strong because f23 travels really far and breath puts you at 0 which means they can't really do anything other than throw out a move to beat your f23 (really hard since the f23 change pushes them back) or block, which means you can start spacing out more or pressure.
-Although I agree with you that people don't throw enough, you shouldn't go for it as your main punisher. Only really go for grabs when you want to get them off of you. You can score A LOT more damage going for a standard combo for punish.
-Sit down and figure out/read what other characters do. It really helps on how to establish your game plan for the match (Should I zone with air laser or ground laser, can this character do anything about heatzap, can I even shoot a laser at all?). Use the matchup thread to help out with this and just watch footage from tourneys for different characters.

Honestly most of the stuff I listed just comes with playing/practicing the game more. You'll get all of it down eventually, just keep grinding!

FGC_Chukz

When's Injustice?

This is what I wanted to show in my last video, I''m pretty free on wakeup against these rush down characters.(Ignore the part where I was trying to wager, but a match before this one, I was just trying to defend myself on wakeup and the match ended in like 10 seconds lol)In addition to that I have a hard time in general starting my offense I rarely get past the first health bar against decent players. It is hard to land a f23 in general because they jump over them or they are applying pressure and I can't attack. I really don't know what to do, I look @ other Superman tournament players and they just YOLO, F23, yet it doesn't work for me.(Shrugs) You guys have an eye for these sorts of things, so thanks in advance.

Sorry everyone I dont have time to keep up with the guides anymore. If someone would like a c/p of the code to continue with the guide just PM me your email address.