What's new

After CEO, I've realized throws are really killing my hype in this game.

SonicNinja3532

The Wannabe Prodigy
Techs should only be changed under the condition that the tech window gets lowered significantly. If the tech window was to stay the same, throws would never open anyone up at all because you could react all day and not have to worry about getting mixed up. However by making throws not 50/50s and making the tech window smaller, you'll actually make throws even better because they no longer can be teched on reaction which just means they'll be even better.

In summary, changing the throw game can only go one of two ways. It can make the throw game even stronger (which I personally am not opposed to) or make opening up anyone even remotely decent at the game impossible, which means matches devolve into turtle fests unless you're Sonya or Kabal. I don't think people actually understand the implications of changing throws and just want them changed because they can't adjust.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
I think throws are fine as it is. The only change I'd suggest is make KB throws activate after 2 escape failed attempts or change the damage to 19-20% instead of 31%.

Teching throws direction is easily readable 70% of the game. I doubt 90% of you complaining about it being a 50/50 are actually trying to guess the throw direction when you tech.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Throws are a viable fighting game mechanic. I think people were coddled out of using them as much by the fact that other aspects of MK’s offense were always so insane, but there’s nothing wrong with using throws in a fighting game.

I keep seeing ‘hype killed’ threads, but this was one of the most exciting and tightly-contested Top 8s we’ve seen. So I don’t really get it.

Last edited:

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I disagree that you need 50/50 throws to open people up. Pressure itself can open people up, take a look at SF4. Throws were easily techable if you had the reactions. The way you opened people up is via pressure and footsies. The reason this would work even better in MK11 is because everything does chip damage. If someone just sits there and blocks and techs all throws, they will lose because even teched throws do damage.

@Circus

dc1902

Noob
I think throws are fine as it is. The only change I'd suggest is make KB throws activate after 2 escape failed attempts or change the damage to 19-20% instead of 31%.

Teching throws direction is easily readable 70% of the game. I doubt 90% of you complaining about it being a 50/50 are actually trying to guess the throw direction when you tech.
This comment is godlike.

Throws are a viable fighting game mechanic. I think people were coddled out of using them by the fact that other aspects of MK’s offense were always so insane, but there’s nothing wrong with using throws in a fighting game.

I keep seeing ‘hype killed’ threads, but this was one of the most exciting and tightly-contested Top 8s we’ve seen. So I don’t really get it.
don't act as you have any clue about fighting games.
thank you

Throws are a huge part of the mind games. I think they are fairly well balanced so far as the risk vs. reward goes. You make a read and duck one you get a huge punish. They're slow enough that you can reaction tech them and knowing the krushing blow data gives the defender information as to which direction they should tech. Dragon and Sonic were blowing people up punishing throws. I find the mind games with throws (are they going to go for the krushing blow? Will he make the read and punish, spacing to punish, etc.) far more interesting than previous iterations of NRS games where it was legit guess the 50/50 string rinse and repeat.

Sazbak

Noob
I disagree that you need 50/50 throws to open people up. Pressure itself can open people up, take a look at SF4. Throws were easily techable if you had the reactions. The way you opened people up is via pressure and footsies. The reason this would work even better in MK11 is because everything does chip damage. If someone just sits there and blocks and techs all throws, they will lose because even teched throws do damage.
I happily take some puny chip damage and try to figure out the opponent's pattern so I can punish him at the correct time.
Offense would be super boring against someone who is being patient and teching throws. Maybe they could increase chip damage though.

Afumba

Noob
I like the two direction tech better to be honest. Pretty sure if they change it most good+ players will tech it most of the times. You got hit by the throw so a 50% chance to avoid damage seems more than fair. Due to the d2 KBs and them being a high has enough risk involved for them not to be broken.

Only thing i dont like is the KBs on them. I think only select characters should have them.

Animations dont bother me either.

nonsense dude. smh

5050 aspect must go and throw tech should be universally with the throw button.
throw tech is a side mechanic and not game defining.
as it is now, it affects the gameplay in a negative way.
i am already about to drop the game because of this shit.
If they made throws like this, they would most definitely have to make the tech window smaller. I think most of you guys would complain about that as well.

Last edited:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
maybe having stance animations would help teching, for example, forward throw should always grab with the face towards the cam, while the back throw would always show the character's back to the cam, even if 10f with if tech window was increased slightly a bit for 2 or 3 frames, we should be able to tech on reaction if we were looking for it.

some of you are not aware that if they change throw tech to one button (throw button) instead of 5050, there will be an throw (tech) animation!
which means you could bait it and punish!
ppl here act like they could not open ppl up anymore or something which is wrong. wrong as fuck lul