What's new

After CEO, I've realized throws are really killing my hype in this game.

The risk that you take to just hold down while the op is in your face, see him wiff the throw and then go for the full punish is just satisfaying. And even if you read wrong, well it's a high risk high reward mechanic and if you nerf this, well you kill the game a lot. Honestly, in the top8 Dragon vs sonicfox (first game) was soooo hype, seying how Dragon basically denied sonic's throw gameplan was cool.

It doesn't require anything godlike man, it just takes practice.

I don't have the exact numbers, but if you combine the startup of a grab (10 frames) with the tech window (20 frames?), you have plenty of time to react with reasonable practice.
that post you quoted was a joke.
sure man, there is nothing godlike on teching throws in mk11 how it is atm.
i just think it would be much better overall if tech would be with the throw button.
but i am repeating myself now and said what i wanted to say so, im out now.

peace!

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
that post you quoted was a joke.
sure man, there is nothing godlike on teching throws in mk11 how it is atm.
i just think it would be much better overall if tech would be with the throw button.
but i am repeating myself now and said what i wanted to say so, im out now.

peace!
You're perspective is reasonable too man. Don't feel like you have to stop debating lol.

There isn't a right answer to all this. We're debating it all over in good fun. I like when people bring up different viewpoints as far as all this mess goes.

Vagrant

Noob
I love that throws are so much of a factor in this game and I love how it has forced me to get better at teching and recognizing throw situations. It's going to make the whole community better if they actually work on it instead of posting threads whining about it.

DarkSado

Noob
a lot of ppl seems to belive that if the 5050 aspect of throw tech gets removed, they will never throw an opponent again or something.

well, in my experience playing several fighting games since decades, trust me:
you guys are wrong ;)
Have you play street fighter x tekken? The game throw was so ass people start calling it Street fighter x time out because there was character who couldn’t open you up.

Matix218

Get over here!
Throws are a huge part of the mind games. I think they are fairly well balanced so far as the risk vs. reward goes. You make a read and duck one you get a huge punish. They're slow enough that you can reaction tech them and knowing the krushing blow data gives the defender information as to which direction they should tech. Dragon and Sonic were blowing people up punishing throws. I find the mind games with throws (are they going to go for the krushing blow? Will he make the read and punish, spacing to punish, etc.) far more interesting than previous iterations of NRS games where it was legit guess the 50/50 string rinse and repeat.
This^

Have you play street fighter x tekken? The game throw was so ass people start calling it Street fighter x time out because there was character who couldn’t open you up.
i played that game a lot, of course. the time-out issue had NOTHING to do with throws though (it was because of the 2on2 system). yes, the throw range was nerfed in comparison to sf4 and that was pretty good.
in sf4 ppl got throwed A LOT even though the tech system was good and on top of it, there was also an OS which made tech easier. ppl still got throwed or frametrapped and such.

Last edited:

dc1902

Noob
Why do I keep seeing people say throws are 50/50s, they aren't. There is an obvious and stated general direction you will get thrown in 90% of the time.

Near the corner? probably gonna be a forward throw!
They in the corner? Probably gonna try to throw you in the corner!

The only mix is from taking the "wrong" choice to beat the throw tech.
A lot of lazy people lookin for shortcuts to winning. Nothing new really. Don't waste your breath,bro.

with the supposed footsie base nature mk11 is trying to take throws have become stronger than they've probably ever been especially with the damage increase plus krushing blow properties. also doesn't help when some characters don't have good offensive strings or 9f mids so most of the things they can rely on is like poke into throw or walking into throw

I agree with the throw system in this game, and this is coming from someone who is bad at teching them in MK11.

If you're bored of watching throws I really don't know what to tell you; they're gonna happen in any game you watch. Are some animations really obnoxious? Yes, I'll give you that, but having strong throws is actually a good thing for fighters, as others have been discussing.

My reactions have always been worse than my reads, but since that is the case I can adapt here by opting to never throw tech (thus avoiding throw KBs) and going for the duck/jump risk instead when I smell a throw coming. I should probably really practice throw teching but this is my work around.

If you're getting grabbed out of your pokes that just means you were too early. Grab whiff animation takes 100 years so just wait to see it whiff for sure.

Last edited:

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
See the reason you get thrown so much is because you are bad at defending against them. im in the same boat , you just gotta keep at it

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
In SF4 there was the throw tech option select that made it so a low short would come out if you didn't tech a throw. It was an unbelievably amazing mechanic that basically made up the entire offense and defense of SF4 from up close. They also didn't have to let go of block to initiate it because the game itself is back to block. That still being said, the throws weren't really techable on reaction, and pro players like Diago openly said that he'd eat 5 throws in a row if he had to because it beats the gamble of OSing the throw tech and taking 40% damage.

This entire debate about the throw system really just comes down to preference in the end though.

I personally came from Tekken originally where throw techs on reaction are expected at the highest level so I really never minded the MK system of throw techs.

There really isn't a right answer to the "Keep it the way it is now or lower the tech window and make it one button techs", but either way, throws will be used a ton in a game like MK11. I don't think there is anyway to get around that unless they make throw techs too easy and the game turns into a defensive turtle-fest.
So yeah, throws not being a 50/50 would work just fine

Throw tech window increase by 2 frames might help.

I do miss techs (by being late) often enough even when I read it coming that I can understand why people saying "it shouldn't be a 50/50" don't think that it will kill the game offense.

Sliiiightly larger window will bring more "you can't tech on reaction" people into the fold, while still allowing you to get free-from-tech surprise throws if you genuinely catch your opponent off guard.

But removing the 50/50 should be out of the question.

And I DO like that they work as a universal "special mid". "Oh, my 10 frame throw swallowed your 8 frame d3 because you were mashing when negative? soooorry". Its good that characters with shit mids can still rely on throws to beat poke mashers (I'm almost surprised more people don't love this aspect of throws given the general annoyance with poke mashing. No mid you can guarantee when you're +5? Throw!)

Fuck... that... shit. Throws have been getting the short end of the stick for years after over correcting for SF 2 throws that took a third of your life. All this bull shit where you are punished for tick throws, and 15 different animation states that are thrown immune have been a pox on the fighting game community for far too long. Wow, you actually have to think about throws now, how awful.

Gaxkang

Banned
I'm someone who likes throwing a lot in a fighting game but I guess what can bug me is frequently the feeling that the only thing you can do is try to throw, which gets predictable.

Like lots of on block situations.