What's new

About leaks, do they suck?

Corruption100

Plus Frame Enjoyer
People are breaking legal contracts so of course it's not a good thing.

Still I am not of fan of NRS reveal schedule. Glad I dont have to wait until the day before launch to know the full roster

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
Yeah, they kinda do. I don't really enjoy leaks. But I also don't really enjoy NRS's marketing. They barely show any game info. So, while bad, leaks provide some info about the game and keep the hype up.

Saint Op Omen

Savagely beating his super-ego with his id...
Lets see MKX sold @5mill....over 4.5mill of those consumers probably did not see leaks or watch a single Kombat Kast...it will be the same for this game. The people I know in this category outnumber all others by far, very far.
Do leaks suck for them: Nope they don't care at all & will get the game via word of mouth/reviews/seeing a ad & so forth.

People on sites such as this (+1) are here because they are fans of the game or fighting games in general to various degrees but degrees way above the norm. Almost no amount of info will ever be enough & regardless of what the info is a large majority will get the game anyway. On release day you will feel the hype.
Do leaks suck for them: Nope, Johnny 5 need imput..

WB is a unfeeling unflinching corporation & cares little about what the frothing fan boys find out a few weeks earlier.
Do leaks suck for them: Does it effect $, No so No

NRS makes the game, does not decide things like what to release or when, would probably like to show us & talk about all finished work immediately & are probably super hype to do so. But, they don't like coworkers they can't trust, they don't like unfinished work they put lots of time into being shown early in unflattering ways.
Do leaks suck for them: Yes for the hundreds of artist & creators this feels real shitty & it is possible to like the info you recieved while also having empathy for the people directly effected. This is not code leaks or some rando with a list, it is different.

Also I see people who have come out against are also people who have worked with people in the position where this does suck, some have been in the exact line of work (max). So those people having empathy for them doesn't surprise me. This leak feels different because it directly affects a group of people who put their heart into the game you like feel bad for reasons many of you don't get & thats fine but you don't have to come down on people who do...

Last edited:

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
1) I say what I said, as someone who does Youtube for a living

2)

Once again, he's being open about it because he doesn't want to damage his relationship with NRS so he can continue to get stuff like privileged early access and free flights out to events etc etc etc.

Dude makes his living off reaction videos and shit like that, the reason he is taking a stance now is to protect his business relationship and salt that further reaction videos will take a hit.

Max is out there to generate $$$ and nothing else, never confuse it for anything else. He does all the laziest shit possible like fake rage and reaction videos. Maybe back in the Marvel 3 launch days he was a great content creator, those days are long, long, long gone.
I agree, I think it's a lot of posturing for moral high-ground/good PR. At this point, the leaks have no impact on NRS' bottom line anyway.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I'm sure in a perfect world, everyone would preorder and buy your game while knowing little to nothing about it. It is easier to sell someone their own imagination than a real world thing.

We are actually super lucky as a group to get to so often see so much of a game before launch. we often even get to play the games before they launch or see others do so.

It really should be that way with informed buyers, but It's not an accident you have to fight to find game trailers that actually show you the game or are offered to buy dlc before anything for a game has ever been shown at all.
Oh I agree, I just mean in the realistic world of leaks, hacking, etc, etc they may as well but hey that's the internet for ya you know? Remember the good ol days of pre internet, when people had to rush to buy Nintendo Power, EGM, Gamepro, GameInformer, etc, etc for information? Man I miss those days sometimes.

I'm actually quite grateful as an MK fan, a gamer since before MK 1 came out since MK 1 for MK to have NRS show us, take the time week to week which other developers don't do and NRS technically doesn't have to do but choose to plus it's good marketing no doubt. But sadly as you've probably noticed, some fans have become entitled, whiney and are never satisfied no matter what but I love the little teases, reveals. It's just a shame this happens everytime a new NRS game hits. But also newer big games too, I remember leaks for Fallout, Halo, Destiny, COD and several other major games in the past. Sadly as long as the internet exists, this will continue no doubt.

I also am happy for the beta even if it is only 4 days. For that reason regarding the having to find game trailers, though I think NRS makes it easy between their streams being recorded on twitch, YT channels and their channel of MK 11. Not that bad, I am happy as a fan and can't complain.

Ceroder

Noob
"nicer ways to put it"? I mean, I definitely see where you're coming from with the second part of this post but you act like the person who caused this leak is a friend of yours or something. LOL Is that the case?
No, but I emphatize with him. It's just my personality. Also, apperantely, he sent the images to his "friends" , and those are the guys who leaked it. He still broke the NDA, but cant help but feel bad for the guy.

Gamer68

Fujin!
I think that leaks are unfortunate for companies.. But I’m also against the double standard of people eagerly consuming leak info and then rushing to post a moral crusade against leaks.
*Goes into thread knowing the full roster is going to be spoiled*

*Consumes everything*

"Guys, you need to show NetherRealm Studios some respect. We really shouldn't be talking about this."

Because apparently not talking about it makes it okay, even though the problem with leaks is that we KNOW things we shouldn't.

1) I say what I said, as someone who does Youtube for a living

2)

Once again, he's being open about it because he doesn't want to damage his relationship with NRS so he can continue to get stuff like privileged early access and free flights out to events etc etc etc.

Dude makes his living off reaction videos and shit like that, the reason he is taking a stance now is to protect his business relationship and salt that further reaction videos will take a hit.

Max is out there to generate $$$ and nothing else, never confuse it for anything else. He does all the laziest shit possible like fake rage and reaction videos. Maybe back in the Marvel 3 launch days he was a great content creator, those days are long, long, long gone.
I watch Max a lot, and I don't think that he's out just to get the $$$. He's honestly very passionate about videos games. It's just that his job is being a full-time streamer and influencer so of course he's not going to be able to play the same game non-stop, he's going to have to play newer titles and stuff.

What you said about him not wanting to damage his relationship with NRS and that being the only reason why he doesn't want to talk about the leaks, I think you are right about that.

Max has talked about leaks and rumors that end up confirming rosters or even entire GAMES before in the past with no problem. He says it's because a lot of those leaks are "just text-based, so there really isn't any evidence to prove it's right so it doesn't actually confirm anything" but that is honestly bullshit. You're approaching these leaks with idea that they are legit and do confirm things, and are willing to share it with your big fanbase. If you honestly care about these devs and you can't help but to put yourself in their shoes like you say, then why are you talking about these things at all? Why are you sharing these things that, while isn't confirmed, you know if they WERE true, that it would hurt said devs?

Max has even said things in the past like "we have a very good track record on this channel, a lot of times when I talk about leaks they end up being real" or something similar to that. He has flaunted his accuracy of approaching rumors/leaks that end up being real before.

If Max seriously just wants to show respect and doesn't want to talk about leaks like this AT ALL going forward, regardless of the company involved, then I see nothing wrong with that. People can change and decide to approach things differently, so I don't think that his past should negate what he's trying to do. But I do get the feeling that he isn't being 100% honest and he's just trying to keep good relations with NRS. But hey, who am I to say?

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
Max is just virtue-signaling to remain in NRS' good graces. Don't be fooled.

The leaks are good. May there be more.
...virtue signaling is a useless, self-indulgent protest.

You may disagree with Max, but not helping the leaks spread is neither useless nor self-indulgent. He didn't try to make anyone else feel bad about themselves (except the leaker).

Although I'm personally in favor of the leaks because I find NRS's marketing strategy lacking... I'm a bit disappointed with your comment.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Oh I agree, I just mean in the realistic world of leaks, hacking, etc, etc they may as well but hey that's the internet for ya you know? Remember the good ol days of pre internet, when people had to rush to buy Nintendo Power, EGM, Gamepro, GameInformer, etc, etc for information? Man I miss those days sometimes.

I'm actually quite grateful as an MK fan, a gamer since before MK 1 came out since MK 1 for MK to have NRS show us, take the time week to week which other developers don't do and NRS technically doesn't have to do but choose to plus it's good marketing no doubt. But sadly as you've probably noticed, some fans have become entitled, whiney and are never satisfied no matter what but I love the little teases, reveals. It's just a shame this happens everytime a new NRS game hits. But also newer big games too, I remember leaks for Fallout, Halo, Destiny, COD and several other major games in the past. Sadly as long as the internet exists, this will continue no doubt.

I also am happy for the beta even if it is only 4 days. For that reason regarding the having to find game trailers, though I think NRS makes it easy between their streams being recorded on twitch, YT channels and their channel of MK 11. Not that bad, I am happy as a fan and can't complain.
I'm not sure entitlement to info is a significant issue. We are lucky in comparison to what is offered in the way of info for other games and in times past, but that doesn't mean it's ideal for the consumer to dribble out data.

Gamers should be buying games based on the merit of a game and the full understanding of what it is they are buying, but generally we are given as little info as possible in order to get us to buy on our own inability to control our excitement.

The fact that we have been getting a good look at fighters before launch isn't something that should be taken for granted, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't expect it or be OK with less. If someone is going to ask us to buy something, it's pretty fair to ask who the crap is in the game before hand.

There are good reasons to not show unfinished work, but to some extent hiding details isn't really helping people make smart decisions with their money. With this MK thing, the information control wasn't really flowing at a reasonable rate given how close to launch it is. I don't think it's at all weird for people to feel like they should have more information by this point.

I get that it's nice to be able to control information, but it wants to be known. I hope there is always an alternate plan if it finds it's way out, but the fact that we ALL know about this thing shows how desperate and hungry everyone was for the info. If nobody cared, it wouldn't have spread like wildfire. Marketing probably wanted the fans to be this hungry deliberately. If that is what they were going for, it worked.

I don't know if that is in opposition to any point you were making, but that's some typing up there.

I too had my Nintendo Power subscription way back when. Hell I remember cutting my teeth on the Atari, and hearing about this fancy new NES thing that just came out. You figure I would be good at these games by now, or maybe I'm just to old a fart now.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Honestly for me, I care about gameplay above all else. Yes there’s characters I want, but tbh it’s better to know whether your character is in or not than wait forever only to be disappointed when they’re not.

And let’s be real, outside of actual Cage fans who was excited for Cage before the reveal trailer? Most people I saw were saying it was a wasted slot and complaining. After the reveal and KK, those SAME people were hype and saying shit like “100% maining Cage”.

So even when you know which characters are in, it doesn’t necessarily mean the hype is dead. Every time I see something new about this game I get more hype, MK11 is gonna be amazing.

Side note... Human Smoke for DLC! :)

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies
I feel bad for the workers who are personally invested in the property and were excited to reveal the content on their own terms. You hate to see people with passion and a real love for the community frustrated like that.

On the other hand, I could care less about Warner Bros marketing cycle. I'll never understand the kind of person who rushes to die on the hill of protecting some giant corporation. Sucks for them, but it's not my job to protect WB's stock price.

I think Max had a decent bead on things. Leaks are going to happen and when they happen as a result of honest slip ups and typical dumb business stuff like foreign market Amazon listings and people putting "voice work for X character" in their CVs, that's just the luck of the draw. To have someone purposely sneak pictures and leak them is a bit more scummy. It does have a different energy that makes it feel slightly gross, but I'm still gonna check them out and enjoy them.

That said, I don't think this will effect the game at all. As others have already said, the TYM/online FGC world represents a tiny sliver of the total number of people who play/buy these games. That is all the more true when it comes to MK which enjoys widespread mainstream love (remember, while SF rules the FGC world, MK9 outsold SFIV by like 2 million units), so most people who will eventually buy the game will remain unaware of the leaks.

As for hardcore fans, I know if anything the leaks made me even more hype than I was before. The game looks great and knowing who is in the base roster for sure just makes me hungry to see how they play.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
For NRS they're bad I guess but since I don't have a vested financial stake in it I enjoy them. Everyone being hypocritical about it is pretty funny: "WOAH look at all the characters there are! But also FUCK THAT LEAKER LOCK HIM UP FOR LIFE"

Regarding character roster leaks:

For NRS they're not good. They have market research that I'm sure shows a slow trickle of information is the best way to build excitement and maximize initial sales.

For me: Full roster leaks are wonderful. I'm going to buy the game regardless. I don't need to wait to build up excitement like a kid at Christmas.

That said, I will not read any story leaks. I want to see the story as NRS intended. I will not even watch the story preview trailer.

thesacrifist

Too old for this
Of course they suck for NRS, but all in all I doubt this will negatively impact sales at all. The vast majority of the people buying the game won't be following it this closely up to launch I'm guessing, and will buy it for the name recognition and muh fatalities. The rest of us have already pre-ordered or are going to buy it no matter what, basically.

Personally I've never been more hyped for the game than right now, the roster and the game looks amazing, and the slow trickle of reveals and news was driving me nuts, not with anticipation just with frustration (I have already pre-ordered as you might have gathered). Entitlement is a bitch.

I only hope that people take it for what it is, pictures from a pre-alpha stage, with unfinished models, postures, lighting etc.

Saint Op Omen

For NRS they're bad I guess but since I don't have a vested financial stake in it I enjoy them. Everyone being hypocritical about it is pretty funny: "WOAH look at all the characters there are! But also FUCK THAT LEAKER LOCK HIM UP FOR LIFE"
You have to understand that, that is not what being hypocritical is & that those 2 opinions do not have to be mutually exclusive...

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
You have to understand that, that is not what being hypocritical is & that those 2 opinions do not have to be mutually exclusive...
It seems to be hypocritical in my opinion to directly enjoy something but then turn around and condemn the person who brought you that thing

Saint Op Omen

It seems to be hypocritical in my opinion to directly enjoy something but then turn around and condemn the person who brought you that thing
Nah hypocrisy would be condemning the leaker while leaking information yourself. You can for a extreme fantastical example enjoy that Punisher murders criminals while understanding what he does is in fact a bad thing. None of the cops with those opinions in those comics are hypocrites.. everything is not always black & white.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Leaking unfinished character models like this makes the game look bad and it damages people's perception about it.

The only way you would think that this benefits NRS if if you fancy the idea of you knowing how to sell products better then NRS and WB

Last edited:
...virtue signaling is a useless, self-indulgent protest.

You may disagree with Max, but not helping the leaks spread is neither useless nor self-indulgent. He didn't try to make anyone else feel bad about themselves (except the leaker).

Although I'm personally in favor of the leaks because I find NRS's marketing strategy lacking... I'm a bit disappointed with your comment.
Well I felt Max's vid to be a useless, self-indulgent protest. The service he provides is also provided by countless others, and the info is out for everyone to see. He doesn't need to dissect the leak to help spread it; making a big video will do. If he really believes the leak is the devil, then ignoring it altogether like the devs are doing is the better course of action. Instead he turns it into a moment of self-promotion. Not that I blame the dood, since his brand is his job.

Last edited: