What's new

About leaks, do they suck?

Xelz

Go over there!
Leaks do suck, particulalrly when they include work-in-progress content. I won’t rehash my post in the 40+ page thread, but the long and short of it is leaks of incomplete work without context causes confusion and false expectations.

At the same time, this leak accidentally generated more hype than NRS’s marketing mustered since the LA reveal event. NRS should learn from this and announce their full roster earlier rather than this slow trickle which created more anxiety and frustration than excitement.

Tokiwartoothxdk

『T R I G G E R E D』
leaks just move speculation from one thing to anther in fighting games. We went from "Who is going to be in the game" to "how is X character going to play and what kind of moves will they have"

Gamers should be buying games based on the merit of a game and the full understanding of what it is they are buying,
And they will, they just need some self control to not plonk down the $$$ 4 months before release. 2weeks before release we'll have more info that you'll know what to do with. If you're happy paying extra for pre-release goodies then that's your decision.

Most sites will have pretty complete reviews up before the game is released. There's no need to make it out that the info, or alleged lack thereof, makes leaks anymore justifiable because someone can't keep it in their pants.

Even on release day there'll be streams constantly for people to make a decision if they want the game, and they'll still get it on day 1.

The fact that we have been getting a good look at fighters before launch isn't something that should be taken for granted, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't expect it or be OK with less. If someone is going to ask us to buy something, it's pretty fair to ask who the crap is in the game before hand.
People just want everything right now.

For all the wants of KK's having 2 character reveals, you know it, i know it - people would then bitch that they should have had 3 or 4.

Maybe it's my age showing, but i remember having to buy magazines just to get any info on games. Now people are spoiled, we're getting gameplay 4 months before release, new images, let alone all the other info. And getting to play beta versions!

Hell they could release the game right now and people would still bitch about it.

Corruption100

Plus Frame Enjoyer
What's the closest a current franchise fighting game has gotten to release without revealing the roster? Didn't sfv release characters months in advance? Maybe i live in a bubble but I swear WB/nrs is the only developers with this extreme a troll/tease schedule. And it's not entitled to critique how a company does something.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11

I'm not sure entitlement to info is a significant issue. We are lucky in comparison to what is offered in the way of info for other games and in times past, but that doesn't mean it's ideal for the consumer to dribble out data.

Gamers should be buying games based on the merit of a game and the full understanding of what it is they are buying, but generally we are given as little info as possible in order to get us to buy on our own inability to control our excitement.

The fact that we have been getting a good look at fighters before launch isn't something that should be taken for granted, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't expect it or be OK with less. If someone is going to ask us to buy something, it's pretty fair to ask who the crap is in the game before hand.

There are good reasons to not show unfinished work, but to some extent hiding details isn't really helping people make smart decisions with their money. With this MK thing, the information control wasn't really flowing at a reasonable rate given how close to launch it is. I don't think it's at all weird for people to feel like they should have more information by this point.

I get that it's nice to be able to control information, but it wants to be known. I hope there is always an alternate plan if it finds it's way out, but the fact that we ALL know about this thing shows how desperate and hungry everyone was for the info. If nobody cared, it wouldn't have spread like wildfire. Marketing probably wanted the fans to be this hungry deliberately. If that is what they were going for, it worked.

I don't know if that is in opposition to any point you were making, but that's some typing up there.

I too had my Nintendo Power subscription way back when. Hell I remember cutting my teeth on the Atari, and hearing about this fancy new NES thing that just came out. You figure I would be good at these games by now, or maybe I'm just to old a fart now.
Yeah, I mean not all fans are entitled or have that shitty attitude just some. Sometimes on here I'll see some whiney posts but definitely on YT and the twitch live streams OMG, are there so many people who act entitled it's ridiculous. But I mean like I was saying earlier, we're lucy that NRS takes the time to show us this stuff. Technically they don't have to do these streams or even throw us a bone here and there but they do. I appreciate this as a fan to keep us interested just enough but at the same time I don't expect or even want them to show me "everything" you know? I get your point with what am I buying but I think we've seen more than enough to get an understanding by now of the game. I don't want to be spoon fed the entire game when I can feed myself once I get it you know?

Sounds like you feel the same way I do with perhaps a few minor differences, like for example I agree with your point on showing us something to give us an idea what we're buying but I don't feel it's necessary to have them show their entire hand right away, know what I mean? Let there be some mystery and fun when the game hits to let us find things out for ourselves. An analogy I'll use is food, say a new pizza comes out from your fav pizzeria and you get to see it and even taste an early demo/to get an idea of what the finished product will be like. Now while it'll improve once finished you wouldn't want someone else telling you "how it tastes either way" then not being able to judge something for yourself, right? That's how I see this in a way. That and well, ever hear the saying "Give someone an inch, and they take a mile" I think that's the mentality a lot of spoiled fans have adopted sadly. I don't think that's good either for the fanbase or for the developers when taking constructive feedback. Perhaps I'm going by my experiences what I've seen on YT, streams etc it just comes off as trolly, spoiled behavior imo. But I get what you're saying, I just don't think it should be overdone.

By this stage in the game, MK 11's case here. We should know if we want it or not, the roster just got leaked my two favs aren't as of now going to be in the game but I'm still buying it.

lol no worries, I can relate I'm not exactly young myself as I grew up in the Golden Age of gaming being a 80's and into 90's kid. The kids now days, newer gen don't realize how good they have it with the internet and everything. They didn't have to hunt for info like we did lol

Raider

Noob
What's the closest a current franchise fighting game has gotten to release without revealing the roster? Didn't sfv release characters months in advance? Maybe i live in a bubble but I swear WB/nrs is the only developers with this extreme a troll/tease schedule. And it's not entitled to critique how a company does something.
I would understand this if the game was announced one year before the release, like for example MKX was. But i honest have no explanation why are they doing this for MK11. Game is releasing in 7 weeks. And i just don't understand what kind of plans they have or had for the marketing and reveals.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Leaks are w/e.
However the context of this specific leak is kinda shitty.
Dick move on the person who leaked it's part, and they probably should get punished for breaking an NDA.

I gladly looked at the leaks, because we have less than a month before the pre-order beta and less than half the roster had been revealed.

However, looking at it from NRS/WB's perspective, this screws up all of their promotional plans (even if I disagree with them). Considering NRS has had issues with leakers and such in the past, in their shoes I would be making an example of the leaker, legally speaking (assuming they know who it is). At some point they need to establish that there are repercussions for breaking an NDA.

because we have less than a month before the pre-order beta and less than half the roster had been revealed.
Why does that even matter? Chances are the beta will only be characters that have been officially revealed so far. So what does it matter that chunli or Doomguy are in the final roster? You know how the game looks and plays, and can probably take a pretty good guess at the rest of the roster.

I really don't understand what logic people use to justify why the leak (or knowing the roster) is a good thing?!?!

Like i've said before, people that are coming to this site are buying this game. To make out like the leak not showing [insert favourite character] is going to stop a bunch of people buying the game is just beyond nonsensical.

trufenix

bye felicia
I gladly looked at the leaks, because we have less than a month before the pre-order beta and less than half the roster had been revealed.
If you're honestly waiting to know the cast, why would you pre-order at all? You already know who the pre-order character is. If that's not your character, don't pre-order. Win.

Why does that even matter? Chances are the beta will only be characters that have been officially revealed so far. So what does it matter that chunli or Doomguy are in the final roster? You know how the game looks and plays, and can probably take a pretty good guess at the rest of the roster.

I really don't understand what logic people use to justify why the leak (or knowing the roster) is a good thing?!?!

Like i've said before, people that are coming to this site are buying this game. To make out like the leak not showing [insert favourite character] is going to stop a bunch of people buying the game is just beyond nonsensical.
It has nothing to do with whether or not I'm buying the game or what characters are in the beta. I'm just using it as a time-reference to show that their promotional schedule is very delayed compared to most games, even their own previous ones. Because of this, people who have already decided that they are buying the game (and are therefore more hyped for it than the average consumer) are more starved for information than usual, which will make more people accepting to leaked info.

The leaks happened. There's no reason to pretend it didn't. NRS can file suit against whomever but to me these leaks were a godsend and I'm more excited to talk about them than grandstanding about how I'm too good for that or I feel bad for NRS.

If i felt that bad i wouldn't have greedily scoured the images for information.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Damn, just read through all the pages, lots of good points.

It seems that most people feel the same way that I do. I think there is a moral issue here, I mean if I had that info, I would have kept it to myself because I would lose sleep over it knowing I was the one that caused it. But if the guy was smart, he hid his identity or distributed the pictures in a way where they can't trace him.

And thanks @Evil Canadian for bringing your point of view, I do believe you're right. It makes no sense that Max usually talked about leaks and now all of a sudden he's against them as if the roster leak was any worse than us being spoiled Jade beforehand.

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
Leaking unfinished character models like this makes the game look bad and it damages people's perception about it.

The only way you would think that this benefits NRS if if you fancy the idea of you knowing how to sell products better then NRS and WB
The character model pictures that were leaked are such bad quality that there's no way anyone could even form an opinion on them. Where are the people saying how awful Noob looks, and are now canceling preorders or no longer buying the game? Similarly, the people who won't buy the game because they think their 1 character won't be in it (even though there are still blanks, etc.) will be a negligible number.

Yeah, sucks for NRS and sucks that someone beached their contract, but people are really overstating the impact of this leak.

Leaks happens, that's for sure, BUT leaks by an insider tester, uploading photos directly from the office. Now that's disgusting. Guy deserves hell.

It totally depends on the type of leak, like the steam leak im ok with because it was most likely accidental they just posted them early nothing you can do about that, but when they come from someone blantly stealing photos or when it comes from someone in office thats kinda scummy.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
The character model pictures that were leaked are such bad quality that there's no way anyone could even form an opinion on them. Where are the people saying how awful Noob looks, and are now canceling preorders or no longer buying the game? Similarly, the people who won't buy the game because they think their 1 character won't be in it (even though there are still blanks, etc.) will be a negligible number.

Yeah, sucks for NRS and sucks that someone beached their contract, but people are really overstating the impact of this leak.
I've seen multiple posts about how NRS ruined Frost, how generic Jacqui looks, and yes about Noob's costume, about "who the hell is this blue guy and green chick when there's no X character!", and so on. In another thread on this site you have people complaining about the stance Kotal uses when he doesn't even have textures on his eyes. To be frank, if you haven't see any negative responses to the leak then you haven't been paying attention. That's not to say that the leak is gonna stop MK11 from selling millions of copies but some people legitimately believe that the leak was in the game's best interest and that's nonsense.

subzert

Frozen Soul
I really like how Bethesda handled the 'leaks' by announcing what its working on all the way up to TES6. Surely now we know who is coming but how will they play out still can turn up the hype even more. Its like in horror movies the peak suspense is just before we see the ghost/murderer.

>Maximoron Doofus
>"reacts" to latest Samurai Shodown 2019 trailer
>"WT... 75% DAMAGE FOR A SINGLE MOVE!!... F?!"

I'm so fucking sick of these casual cretins shitting up the genre. How old is this cock-knocker anyway -- 40+? Didn't he play games before the fucking Wii?! I bet you 20,000 Vietnamese Dongs in every gaped orifice of this plebe, that the knob goblin (and his ilk) had more than something to do with the "Amplify" inputs being aborted in the NRS toilet... Just look at the chutzpah of this casual crony:
"I'm super excited about the Amplify button [...] One of the best changes they could have made to the game"...

BTW, the reason this Paddle Pop lumpen is lacrimating crocodile tears about "muh leaks", is NOT because he gives an actual rabbit shite -- such info actually brings him more tube buck$ -- but, because he is $PON$ORED by the likes of Warn-a-brother and, thus, he wants to present a facade of a bleeding heart... For "all the hard work" of NRS drip-feeding us 0.6666667 characters per week -- what else?

Make no mistake, this guy is a real, bona fide industry $hill and, thus, unashamëd cuckold wittol to the all-might shekel. A guy that should not be taken seriously... nor given much O/ HO (but, plenty of CO).

Last edited:
I've seen multiple posts about how NRS ruined Frost, how generic Jacqui looks, and yes about Noob's costume, about "who the hell is this blue guy and green chick when there's no X character!", and so on.
Yep, that's it. Now everyone has the full roster so what do they do? They start complaining about the grainy low quality crap images, pointing out how dull the costumes are and stances that don't fit or whatever.

How the hell is that hyping up anything? People are just wasting their time debating over content that isn't finished, and may quite possibly change before release seeing as there's no indication of when these were taken. Not to mention it'll probably look 100x better when you see it as it was intended, high quality and completed.

some people legitimately believe that the leak was in the game's best interest and that's nonsense.
Quoted, because it's one of the few things in this thread that actually has a valid point.

Yep, that's it. Now everyone has the full roster so what do they do? They start complaining about the grainy low quality crap images, pointing out how dull the costumes are and stances that don't fit or whatever.
Dude brah man bro, that shit's just background noise -- no one gives a whit and it won't affect sales (or the game's core design) in the slightest.

What the 'anti-Leakites' are in fact bemoaning -- seeing as many are likely industry paid-per-post, propaganda $hill$, or flat out bots -- are that (i) those whose favourites are all but confirmed M.I.A., are pissed (rightly so) and, thus, may not be so easily suckered into throwing down for a product that does not cater to their needs (rightlier so), and (ii) that now the producers have to up their game -- no longer being able to rest on the laurels of drip-feeding the starving masses and playing coy with integral info that makes or breaks peoples' decisions on whether or not to purchase.

Neither of these issues are a bad thing--from the consumer's standpoint. They are only seen as 'bad' from the nickle-n-diming games company's perspective -- because it makes it that much more difficult to wring shekels out of the penny-pinching paupers.

with integral info that makes or breaks peoples' decisions on whether or not to purchase.
It's a fucking fighting game. You pick up a controller, choose a character and bash out a few combo's with your buddies, online, play story mode and whatever else it may have.

Anyone who isn't going to buy the game because XYZ isn't in the game... well damned if i know. Stupidest thing i ever heard. Huge kitana fan here, but i didn't breakdown when MK3 didn't include her, or MK:D, and i bought both them games and enjoyed them.

People are scrounging for reasons why they want anything and everything revealed right now... and frankly it's just beyond mind boggling why it's so.

As for me I find people exaggerating about this.

It isn’t like we are pirating the game and it isn’t like NRS gaining revenue from announcing the characters.

What they care about that you buy the game and that it and I’m so buying it of course.