What's new

A Year Later Safe To Say The Gameplay Changes Did Not Work Out?

Expectations

• Surpassed

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Met

Votes: 38 29.9%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 78 61.4%

• Total voters

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
Reading something like this makes me wish I lived on another planet. How the FUCK can you say something so stupid and get that many likes? Mk11 feels rushed compared to Mk9, wtf lmao??
MK9 and MKX are games made for scrubs, the only thing they have over MK11 is the fact that you need more practice to get the combos down, other than that they are cancerous garbage with 99% of the roster doing shit that is absolutely (soap bar in my mouth) and should never exist in a fighting game.
You think mk11 isnt scrub friendly?

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I only meant to talk about mkx breakers, but got carried away. I just can't stand this mechanic, even though I use and abuse it to the best of my ability. The guy that opened me up does not deserve to be getting punished because I dropped out at the right time. Feels wrong to me.

I didn't mean any hostility.
All good brotha

A lot of people don't seem to like the mechanic for that reason, personally I enjoy it overall. I feel like it has a lot more cohesion with other mechanics then combo breaker did. To your point, I think MKX changed it to get rid of the defender's stamina so they did have that disadvantage. But I always think of playing Bo' Rai Chi against Mileena and watching her get a breaker every round, killing my character's momentum and feeling salty when I had to use my much more precious meter on my breakers. In fairness though, that's largely a result of the meter build system of that game.

Jowabunga

Woooooooooooooo!
Reading something like this makes me wish I lived on another planet. How the FUCK can you say something so stupid and get that many likes? Mk11 feels rushed compared to Mk9, wtf lmao??
MK9 and MKX are games made for scrubs, the only thing they have over MK11 is the fact that you need more practice to get the combos down, other than that they are cancerous garbage with 99% of the roster doing shit that is absolutely (soap bar in my mouth) and should never exist in a fighting game.
While MK11 is quite a bit better than either of those games in this regard, one of my biggest issues with it is there are still too many of those things that should never exist in a footsie-based fighting game.

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
The thing about this game is that its a lot better than it was a year ago. I mean think of SFV. People had the exact same reactions to it, and it didn't get actually good until three years in. And the second year was really bad too.

MKX also had a similar reaction early in its life. I remember dropping it after just a few months because of the way they were handling balancing and how bad the online experience was, and I wasnt alone. I mean fuck guys, watch SonicFox vs Dizzy at Combo Breaker and really pay attention to what's going on. Hype match but it highlights all the problems the game had early on. It's pretty fun now tho.

I think MK11 by the end of its life will be a pretty well respected game as they tune it to player feedback

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
While MK11 is quite a bit better than either of those games in this regard, one of my biggest issues with it is there are still too many of those things that should never exist in a footsie-based fighting game.
Which footsie-based fighting game are you basing this on, though?

Jowabunga

Woooooooooooooo!
Which footsie-based fighting game are you basing this on, though?
It's not based on a specific game per se, but most of my non-NRS experience is with Soulcalibur starting back in SC1. Mostly I'm basing the comment on the original claim that MK11 was intended to be more neutral/footsie-based, which it is. My issue is that there are still too many moves, e.g., unreactables, things that provide full-screen pressure at little cost, and/or characters that make you never want to push buttons or even move, for this to be considered that footsie-focused.

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
It's not based on a specific game per se, but most of my non-NRS experience is with Soulcalibur starting back in SC1. Mostly I'm basing the comment on the original claim that MK11 was intended to be more neutral/footsie-based, which it is. My issue is that there are still too many moves, e.g., unreactables, things that provide full-screen pressure at little cost, and/or characters that make you never want to push buttons or even move, for this to be considered that footsie-focused.
There are footsies characters though. Footsies is a viable strategy that is represented in the game and can be used to defeat characters who have different playstyles. Liu Kang, Kano, and Jacqui all have to deal with Spawn, Kabal, and Kotal's buttons, just like they have to deal with Liu, Kano, and Jacqui's staggers, mixups, and dash attacks.

Obviously not every footsie character has an easy time with that however. That's a problem with those characters though. But representing that playstyle is what's important

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
The reason I ask, is that pretty much every fighting game has this, or some form of 'BS', including the ones that are held up to be the standard 'footsie based' games.

I think a lot of times people want to oversimply neutral into this kind of game where you only play footsies, and don't have to deal with anything else -- which is not what you do in any game. SF4 had Zangief but it also had Viper and Akuma. Everyone's tools are different.

Part of learning any fighting game is learning to deal with the 'BS' (which are usually things that frustrate you at first glance) so that you can apply fundamentals to play your game inside of it. Almost no fighting game is 'pure' in that sense (outside of Divekick and supposedly Virtua Fighter which no one plays anymore).

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
All good brotha

A lot of people don't seem to like the mechanic for that reason, personally I enjoy it overall. I feel like it has a lot more cohesion with other mechanics then combo breaker did. To your point, I think MKX changed it to get rid of the defender's stamina so they did have that disadvantage. But I always think of playing Bo' Rai Chi against Mileena and watching her get a breaker every round, killing my character's momentum and feeling salty when I had to use my much more precious meter on my breakers. In fairness though, that's largely a result of the meter build system of that game.
Yeah some characters were just meter-building monsters, while others were starved. That was probably my biggest gripe about the game. I'm glad they've addressed that with the universal regen in MK11.

Jowabunga

Woooooooooooooo!
Crimson: I agree with everything you said. Everyone's experience in these games is different and that colors your perspective. MKX was the first fighting game I really dove into on the frame data level when a buddy and I picked it up to play together. Not knowing any better, my first character was Warrior Predator and I got hundreds of matches against Cybernetic Kano getting projectile spammed to death and adapting to that. It was a hell of an entry point to "studying" fighting games. He eventually switched to Quan Chi, which was even more fun of a completely different variety. We picked up IJ2 when it first came out and my first several hundred matches or so were with Dr. Fate vs. release %^%^ing Aquaman dealing with endless Tentacle Spam until they nerfed AM and my buddy moved on to Black Adam (which wasn't a lot of fun either). Now in MK11 my buddy mains SubZero, who I find to be absolutely obnoxious. I've spent like 5 years over 3 games adapting to and surviving the 'bs' and I'm kinda tired of it, to the point that I've mostly stopped playing and when I do play, I refuse to play my friend unless he's going with someone NOT SubZero.

That said, maybe it's an experiential thing, but I've been finding myself putting in more time than I remember doing in MKX/IJ2 figuring out how to beat gimmicky, suboptimal things (consistent double pokes/sweeps, direspected plus frames, etc).

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
..beside of your wakeup options or the ability to use stage interactables...
But the whole point of the defensive bar is to use it defensively. it comes back on it's own anyway. Wakeup maybe, but the fact you'll gain a first bar again so quick anyway why not just breakaway. And who is gonna not breakaway to use an intractable in this game?

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
But the whole point of the defensive bar is to use it defensively. it comes back on it's own anyway. Wakeup maybe, but the fact you'll gain a first bar again so quick anyway why not just breakaway. And who is gonna not breakaway to use an intractable in this game?
Against certain characters though it's a big risk to spend seven seconds with no defensive bar. If they read it, its party time for them

I'm new to TYM so I need to ask this to the veterans around here, is this the resident moron?

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
I honestly forgot MK existed until @Somebuddy 's new video hit my youtube subscriptions. I quit a couple weeks after terminator dropped. I honestly just bought the character pack for Sindel, but never even reinstalled the game to try her. Jumped back over here to see if people were still playing. I'm a little surprised to see this community have such a negative outlook for the game. I figured the naysayers would have been purged by now.

exflyingbooty

This dream has a sad ending
The beta was a superior game.

Here's the thing, everything about MK11 that is a new or original idea is fantastic in theory. It all just got implemented in the absolute worst way while they catered to the MKX simps by buffing movement and taking away the unique amplify inputs.
mk11 had a fucking run you dolt

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I think the biggest dissapointment actually is that NRS thought they could make a real fighting game for the 70% that don't play fighting games. Lets face it, MK is the CoD of fighting games, people just want to mix with no effort, do easy combos and butcher someone at the end of their work day. Thats what MK is for them and nothing much else.
Probably the wrong website to say this but I would argue that Modern Warfare gives players more opportunities to carve out an individual playstyle than MK11 does, since you mentioned it as the CoD of fighting games.

xKMMx

Banned
Ive been bored for months and haven't really been able to find enthusiasm for playing it since Spawn came out and was cool but as all other characters are BORING AF. The game is just not my cup of tea.

PapaRegadetho

All hail emperor Liucifer Kang!
Probably the wrong website to say this but I would argue that Modern Warfare gives players more opportunities to carve out an individual playstyle than MK11 does, since you mentioned it as the CoD of fighting games.
Be it that case or not, my argument is what kind of people these games attract.

xKMMx

Banned
I honestly forgot MK existed until @Somebuddy 's new video hit my youtube subscriptions. I quit a couple weeks after terminator dropped. I honestly just bought the character pack for Sindel, but never even reinstalled the game to try her. Jumped back over here to see if people were still playing. I'm a little surprised to see this community have such a negative outlook for the game. I figured the naysayers would have been purged by now.
If all the naysayers left this site would be out of business lol