What's new

A Year Later Safe To Say The Gameplay Changes Did Not Work Out?

Expectations

• Surpassed

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Met

Votes: 38 29.9%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 78 61.4%

• Total voters
This has been my favourite MK out of this reboot trilogy. A year in and I have already surpassed the number of hours I put in online for MK9 and MKX combined. Wouldn't mind if somehow they implement ways for different combo routes, some Krushing Blows can be tweaked, and I'm not crazy about the Breakaways, but overall i like the balance and DEFINITELY prefer the pacing of this compared to X, which i still kinda enjoyed playing despite it's bullcrap. Looking forward to the next 12 months of playing MK11 as well as watching as many tournaments as I can

When it comes to the 3 NRS-era MK games (MK9, MKX, MK11) then this is easily the weakest entry. So much of MK11 feels lacking compared to the previous two and you get this distinct impression that it really was rushed out and they're still playing catch up one year later. When it was first announced I was very excited at the possibilities but when the online beta came out things felt off. When full release came out, things still felt off. One year later and it still doesn't feel right. It's like I'm playing some prototype fighting game with MK characters in it, not an MK game.

There are so many things to the gameplay I dislike. Krushing Blows are ready-made damage boosters that previously you'd have to lab out on how to get that damage by actually executing combos. What's worse is how some KBs lead to combo opportunities that should be in the game to begin with. Then there's the fucktarded balance/distribution of them across characters like how Geras can just KB your whole life bar away through normal gameplay while Shao Kahn has to go play World of Warcraft and buff himself up then pray to god the opponent is nice enough to let them land one of his. Don't get me started on KBs being on throws. Guessing wrong on a natural reaction like trying to break a throw and then getting smashed for 30%, boy that is certainly awesome and engaging. Thank fuck they made it so you can't back-to-back throw KB anymore.

Fatal Blows is that mechanic they put in because the designers of X-Rays were pissed nobody decent ever used X-Rays when they could instead use one bar in previous MKs to get superior or near superior damage and so all their animated work went to waste. If there's one thing I fucking loathe in new day fighters it's the insistence of comeback mechanics. Beating your ass shouldn't have me fear you even more. Then there's the start up animation of some of these and those little things that add up like how Jax can FB you, get fully heated arms, then obliterate the remainder of your health with a KB because of that.

Breakaway is inferior to combo breakers in every way and Flawless Block is a dead mechanic online. This game felt like it was meant to be played with custom variations but then they pussy'd out last second to scramble together these sloppy tournament variations. And let me tell you this, if this is what NRS thinks footsies/neutral gameplay is like then they need to play a lot more fighting games.

Then there's the things the lifelong MK fan in me was let down by. The roster, holy shit, this is some MK3 vanilla levels of shit right here. I've never felt so bored looking at a character select screen and wonder how they could miss so many characters that even if they ended up playing like shit because they're in MK11 that you'd at least want to play due to fanfare. The only real highly requested character they brought back was Noob-Saibot then Kabal/Jade and Shang Tsung. For what it's worth, I think Shang Tsung is actually a great character by MK11 standards and I appreciate the fanservice they did by bringing back Cary Tagawa as his face/voice. But outside of that... where are the rest? Ermac, Smoke and Reptile may not be the faces of the franchise but they're characters you not only expect but welcome with open arms in MK much like how Street Fighter has guys like Balrog and Vega that help give its identity. Instead they're discarded for the corniest characters like Cassie and Jacqui and the new characters are 3D era levels of forgettable shit.

So yeah, outside of the facial expression technology and Shang Tsung, MK11 is weak. Now it's not unplayable garbage by any means and you can scrounge some enjoyment from it, but it isn't the direction I want MK to go in and there's not enough from gameplay depth to roster that makes me excited to play or make me lose count of the hours like MK9/MKX were capable of doing. Unless there's some big SFxTekken 2013 patch levels of changes heading this way and DLC characters that won't be dropped after a week by NRS tourists then I think I'm ready for MK12.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Breakaway is inferior to combo breakers in every way and Flawless Block is a dead mechanic online.
Statements like these just make you want to question whether people are just set out to hate the game.

Let's take them one by one:

Breakaway: In what universe is this mechanic inferior to a Combo Breaker? A MK combo breaker has no counterplay, gets you completely out of whatever situation in in a braindead fashion. There isn't much to think about when you time it, and there's usually no thinking at all on your opponent's side either. Breakaway requires thinking and a bit of planning from both players, and it also has some counterplay and still has a disadvantage (it leaves one player in a knowndown state). The gameplay surrounding breakaway is much deeper, and that's what you want in a fighting game.

Flawless Block dead online: This can't be serious. Two of the players who flawless block the most, Grr and Biohazard, have been playing primarily online, even before the Coronavirus epidemic ever happened. It's not just the absolute best players either.. Kitana Prime flawless blocks a ton, lots of good players do. Saying that this mechanic is dead online is like saying that you've never watched a high-level online tournament.

These are just two examples, but stuff like this makes you question whether people really understand the game before they bash it.

I think it's funny how polarizing this game is. People either think it's the best FG out there or complete dogshit. I get the impression that the game suffers from the same "skill gap" as Tekken does though, where certain moves / gameplans are very easy to rock out with your cock out, but hard to counter by comparison (look at all the Jade salt). The game is built around the whole flawless block meta, but the fact is that 95% of the players out there is intimated by the mechanic and never use it ---> the game is gonna get shit on by alot of people. Just comes with the territory, I guess.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I think it's funny how polarizing this game is. People either think it's the best FG out there or complete dogshit. I get the impression that the game suffers from the same "skill gap" as Tekken does though, where certain moves / gameplans are very easy to rock out with your cock out, but hard to counter by comparison (look at all the Jade salt). The game is built around the whole flawless block meta, but the fact is that 95% of the players out there is intimated by the mechanic and never use it ---> the game is gonna get shit on by alot of people. Just comes with the territory, I guess.
I think it's just a reflection of where internet culture is right now. Everything is either amazing or it's terrible -- there's no middle ground, and nuanced commentary is dying a slow death along with constructive criticism.

Have something unfortunate happen to you at a restaurant? Leave them a 0-star review! Is there a view expressed in a movie or game that you don't agree with? Go flametorch crying on Twitter, review bomb them, 0 out of 5 stars, terrible product. Burn the entire house down at the slightest disappointment.

It only takes 20 seconds glancing at Metacritic, Youtube, Yelp, Twitter etc. to know that this is where things are going, and it's kinda unfortunate.

Flawless Block dead online: This can't be serious. Two of the players who flawless block the most, Grr and Biohazard, have been playing primarily online
If we are talking 'dead' in the sense that no one is using them correctly, then yeah, maybe: I can only talk for God KL this past run, but I can count on one hand the matches where flawless block attack was a thing in my 100ish games unless I actually managed to bait after a string (and I fuck that up a lot as well). Hell, I can't even remember anyone flawless blocking Scorp F34. So there is this weird discrepancy where NRS is balancing for flawless blocks but the mechanic is a bit too hardcore for everyone but the top percentiles. Again, not the fault of the game, but probably a source of frustration.

That honor goes to Rise of the Robots for me. It was a released before many of you were born. It was god awful.
This is a good one. I've been playing video games for almost forty years now, and I've played a lot of absolutely fantastic games, I've played a lot of bad games, and I've been disappointed by a lot of games for a whole host of reasons.

Off the top of my head, the three most disappointing games I've ever played, in no particular order, are: Half-Life 2, Gears of War 3, and Grand Theft Auto IV. I'm sure there's others that may even surpass these, though again, this is only off the top.

I think it's funny how polarizing this game is. People either think it's the best FG out there or complete dogshit.
I'm happily in the middle ground. I think it's an excellent game and has a lot of very cool things in it and going for it, however the gameplay for me doesn't resonate like the past two games. That's because I prefer a faster paced, more combo-oriented style though, so that makes perfect sense. I'd still 100% recommend this, or any of the current reboot trilogy of Mortal Kombat games, to anyone.

I think it's just a reflection of where internet culture is right now. Everything is either amazing or it's terrible -- there's no middle ground, and nuanced commentary is dying a slow death along with constructive criticism.
Don't forget critical/objective thinking. That died a long, long time ago sadly.

Breakaway: In what universe is this mechanic inferior to a Combo Breaker? A MK combo breaker has no counterplay, gets you completely out of whatever situation in in a braindead fashion.
The combo breaker would have fit well in this game's fantasy of having neutral/footsies gameplay since it... get ready... resets positions back to neutral. Breakaway is just shit and to say it requires some greater thinking is a flat out lie. There is nothing "smart" about breakaway because the combo paths are so severely limited in this game you can expect when a breakaway will happen most times. Then we get to how it conflicts with the game itself because you fell out of a combo only to now let the opponent hover over you as you have depleted all your defensive meter and have zero way to wake up making any character with strong mixups to rule over you. I don't know how anyone can actually like Breakaway when it fails as a defensive measure and the only way you can ever hope to get anything out of it is by praying the opponent didn't see it coming.

Flawless Block dead online: This can't be serious. T
In what universe are you playing where you have consistently tight connections that this mechanic isn't anything but either a gamble or happy accident? I get you're really looking to get hired by NRS but please use your brain a little and realize between the janky netcode and wifi warriors if you're telling me Flawless Block is something anyone online can consistently rely on then you are lost and not found. I can guarantee you that in all of your games maybe less than 5% of them have ever come down to a win due to you doing a smart Flawless Block and that's because online it's a total shitshow.

I was hyped for MK11's initial release, so much to work with story-wise with Dark Raiden, the inclusion of my all time favourite character Shao Kahn as playable, and what was supposed to be a return to neutral based fighting. The mechanics looked enticing prior to release. When the game came out, I was honestly happy with most of the features, but as time has gone by, I have become more frustrated and honestly enjoy MKX more than MK11. It has become more boring for me to play mk11.

The kombat kids, kronika and new era storyline didn't do it for me, and in fact destroyed the rich lore of my all time fave game. On top of that, my main (Shao Kahn) is in a disgraceful spot still, after a year(why do they refuse to buff this man).

The mechanics have grown more clunky for me. Crushing blows are fun but some are far too hard to pull off and unrealistic in a match. Fatal blows are OP and dumb in my opinion. A comback mechanic with armour that comes back at 0 consequence?

One of my big gripes is getting grabbed out of active frames, janky hitbox issues, hitting a d2 at the same time when you read a grab often has varying consequences.

There is a lack of depth in this game, and I believe it is for the sake of balance. There is no denying this is the closest thing to a balanced game NRS has produced, but it is a shallow game. Most characters were optimised within a week of their release. And certain characters that are at the upper end of this balance continue to be exploited.

While MKX was a 50/50 and armour heavy game, there was far more depth to the characters, far more combo routes, and set ups - and zoning especially was far less prevalent (minus a couple examples like Jacqui).

Everyone has different tastes, I would have preferred the combo potential and character depth of mk9/X with a faster paced neutral. The defensive options are also very strong, with 0 consequence as you regain defensive meter quickly. Some OKI options are completely negated by wake up buttons, and if you try to hit meaty even that can become a guessing game due to wake up buttons and other defensive options.

Having said all that, I do have fun with the game but I'm in maintenance mode. MKX has far more hype and far better replay-ability in my opinion (see DESTROYER's resurrection tourny).

I hope NRS learns from certain gameplay mistakes that have come from this game, fix the damn lore in MK12, and in the meantime, buff Shao and Raiden already.

Last edited:

John_NX

Your circumstances are dire!
When it comes to the 3 NRS-era MK games (MK9, MKX, MK11) then this is easily the weakest entry. So much of MK11 feels lacking compared to the previous two and you get this distinct impression that it really was rushed out and they're still playing catch up one year later. When it was first announced I was very excited at the possibilities but when the online beta came out things felt off. When full release came out, things still felt off. One year later and it still doesn't feel right. It's like I'm playing some prototype fighting game with MK characters in it, not an MK game.

There are so many things to the gameplay I dislike. Krushing Blows are ready-made damage boosters that previously you'd have to lab out on how to get that damage by actually executing combos. What's worse is how some KBs lead to combo opportunities that should be in the game to begin with. Then there's the fucktarded balance/distribution of them across characters like how Geras can just KB your whole life bar away through normal gameplay while Shao Kahn has to go play World of Warcraft and buff himself up then pray to god the opponent is nice enough to let them land one of his. Don't get me started on KBs being on throws. Guessing wrong on a natural reaction like trying to break a throw and then getting smashed for 30%, boy that is certainly awesome and engaging. Thank fuck they made it so you can't back-to-back throw KB anymore.

Fatal Blows is that mechanic they put in because the designers of X-Rays were pissed nobody decent ever used X-Rays when they could instead use one bar in previous MKs to get superior or near superior damage and so all their animated work went to waste. If there's one thing I fucking loathe in new day fighters it's the insistence of comeback mechanics. Beating your ass shouldn't have me fear you even more. Then there's the start up animation of some of these and those little things that add up like how Jax can FB you, get fully heated arms, then obliterate the remainder of your health with a KB because of that.

Breakaway is inferior to combo breakers in every way and Flawless Block is a dead mechanic online. This game felt like it was meant to be played with custom variations but then they pussy'd out last second to scramble together these sloppy tournament variations. And let me tell you this, if this is what NRS thinks footsies/neutral gameplay is like then they need to play a lot more fighting games.

Then there's the things the lifelong MK fan in me was let down by. The roster, holy shit, this is some MK3 vanilla levels of shit right here. I've never felt so bored looking at a character select screen and wonder how they could miss so many characters that even if they ended up playing like shit because they're in MK11 that you'd at least want to play due to fanfare. The only real highly requested character they brought back was Noob-Saibot then Kabal/Jade and Shang Tsung. For what it's worth, I think Shang Tsung is actually a great character by MK11 standards and I appreciate the fanservice they did by bringing back Cary Tagawa as his face/voice. But outside of that... where are the rest? Ermac, Smoke and Reptile may not be the faces of the franchise but they're characters you not only expect but welcome with open arms in MK much like how Street Fighter has guys like Balrog and Vega that help give its identity. Instead they're discarded for the corniest characters like Cassie and Jacqui and the new characters are 3D era levels of forgettable shit.

So yeah, outside of the facial expression technology and Shang Tsung, MK11 is weak. Now it's not unplayable garbage by any means and you can scrounge some enjoyment from it, but it isn't the direction I want MK to go in and there's not enough from gameplay depth to roster that makes me excited to play or make me lose count of the hours like MK9/MKX were capable of doing. Unless there's some big SFxTekken 2013 patch levels of changes heading this way and DLC characters that won't be dropped after a week by NRS tourists then I think I'm ready for MK12.
I love you. Pretty much everything you said is SPOT ON.

As I always say with these, my biggest disappointment is that it seems that most of the interesting moves have been banished to non comp play or nerfed from playstyle defining to barely important. There's nothing inherently wrong with the system but the decision to lock basically all the trap/setup moves out of the game and balance towards the basics is baffling.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
Statements like these just make you want to question whether people are just set out to hate the game.

Let's take them one by one:

Breakaway: In what universe is this mechanic inferior to a Combo Breaker? A MK combo breaker has no counterplay, gets you completely out of whatever situation in in a braindead fashion. There isn't much to think about when you time it, and there's usually no thinking at all on your opponent's side either. Breakaway requires thinking and a bit of planning from both players, and it also has some counterplay and still has a disadvantage (it leaves one player in a knowndown state). The gameplay surrounding breakaway is much deeper, and that's what you want in a fighting game.

Flawless Block dead online: This can't be serious. Two of the players who flawless block the most, Grr and Biohazard, have been playing primarily online, even before the Coronavirus epidemic ever happened. It's not just the absolute best players either.. Kitana Prime flawless blocks a ton, lots of good players do. Saying that this mechanic is dead online is like saying that you've never watched a high-level online tournament.

These are just two examples, but stuff like this makes you question whether people really understand the game before they bash it.
Both breakaways and breakers had their issues, but I prefer breakers overall. While yes, breakers were “braindead” to use, knowing when to use them properly took some level of skill. Did the opponent already spend a bar? Did they not start with an optimal combo path? Does this particular character combo lead to a restand or setup? Not only that, but breakers costed two bars of meter. As crucial as meter is in NRS games, spending meter on a breaker could easily cost you the match if used unwisely. The negative point would be, yes, zoners gained meter faster and could break out of rushdown character’s combos. This is something that has always needed fixed.

Edit: Hell, I even forgot to mention unbreakable options if the aggressor saw how much meter you had. Good thing breakers took no thought on either side.

Fast forward to MK11. Combo paths in an already limited system become even more limited because, fearing the breakaway, people simply uppercut to get as much damage as possible. There is a mind game, yes, but it’s generally always advisable to break away unless you read the opponent’s Fatal Blow setup. Luckily, your meter will quickly charge back up for you, leaving you with little to no consequence for breaking out of the combo in the first place. Add to that the multiple delayed wakeup options and... it’s not like the downed person is completely out of options, and actually have a chance to punish the aggressor FROM COMBO’D STATE (something that I personally find ridiculous.

And where does that leave characters like Jade? Or Kahn? Raiden? These characters finally get their combo, or even worse, a one-time use Krushing Blow, and immediately lose that resource or damage to an automatically regenerating mechanic. Now, I understand that there is a meta of waiting for your opponent to not have meter to deal out a max combo, but again, with how fast the regeneration rate is, the stars rarely, if ever, align for you to maximize your options to the fullest extent.

Now, to sit there behind your keyboard and claim that breakers required no skill or thought process compared to MK11 is completely and utterly false. You provided no reasoning as to such and are doing nothing but, again, praising MK11 and discrediting everything else. I honestly feel that outside of MK11, you’ve really never put much time into another NRS title.

Zviko

Noob
In what universe are you playing where you have consistently tight connections that this mechanic isn't anything but either a gamble or happy accident? I get you're really looking to get hired by NRS but please use your brain a little and realize between the janky netcode and wifi warriors if you're telling me Flawless Block is something anyone online can consistently rely on then you are lost and not found. I can guarantee you that in all of your games maybe less than 5% of them have ever come down to a win due to you doing a smart Flawless Block and that's because online it's a total shitshow.
Your internet must be trash.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I think it's funny how polarizing this game is. People either think it's the best FG out there or complete dogshit.
Sensible people think neither. They find themselves somewhere in the middle of the "best fighting game out there" and the "dog shit" spectrum. Considering Crimson's research on Mortal Kombat 11 off-line tournaments and player participation before the pandemic, the vast majority of people seem to belong to this category. The game is also currently doing very well in online tournaments, largely thanks to Mr. Aquaman.

Certain criticisms of Mortal Kombat 11 such as the continuation of the variation system and the decision to prioritize balance over well-defined character archetypes are authentic and constructive. On the other hand, the people who constantly complain about fatal blows, krushing blows, and throws, as can be seen in this thread, are sometimes also the people who praise Mortal Kombat 9 and Mortal Kombat X. The hypocrisy and ignorance are astounding to me. While NRS did as good of a job as they could salvaging Mortal Kombat X in its last patch, Mortal Kombat 9 has remained one of the most broken competitive fighting games released in the last ten years.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
There are definitely flawless blocking superstars on the internet.

I think it's a great high level mechanic. You don't need it at all to play at low, mid, or even strong levels. And by the time someone is using it frequently against you, you are either good enough to know how to deal with it, or you are playing the wrong people. The skill level required to use it and minor payout helps prevents the game from needing a counter mechanic.

Games that have similar mechanics but have made them hyper accessible generally turns the basement skill level into players just doing the equivalent non stop to anybody and everybody that will let them. Crawling out of the minors ends up being you employing whatever the necessary counter mechanic is repeatedly to delete them before you even get to find people that know anything else.

All and all, I think Flawless blocking is the coolest and most interesting part of the game.

On the other hand, the people who constantly complain about fatal blows, krushing blows, and throws, as can be seen in this thread, are sometimes also the people who praise Mortal Kombat 9 and Mortal Kombat X. The hypocrisy and ignorance are astounding to me. While NRS did as good of a job as they could salvaging Mortal Kombat X in its last patch, Mortal Kombat 9 has remained one of the most broken competitive fighting games released in the last ten years.
M2Dave, I actually (along with many others) listen to your podcasts with REO and Tom Brady and the others, I respect alot of what you have to say. yet I fail to see how all of those things seem astounding to you. I praise some aspects of this game, however I will not praise things like the throw meta in MK11 - even as a longtime MKX fan. You should not turn a strike/throw 50/50 meta into an even further mix up game with 2 tech buttons, and furthermore, you should definitely not attach KBs to throws. Eating 30%+ on a wrong guess removes skill from the player and faults the receiver - especially, as I mentioned in my last post, when you can actually get grabbed out of a D2 READ and eat the KB FOR STILL MAKING THE RIGHT READ.

Fatal Blows are absolutely worth complaining about. They are a 2 button get-out-of-jail free card with 0 consequence. Yes, they nerfed the start-up on FB's, but the concept of having a constant threat (as you know Tom Brady has mentioned) that recharges at 0 cost is not the right way to have a comeback mechanic. Especially when you can clearly out-skill someone, and eat an armoured 30%+ reversal for 2 buttons that they can mash through almost any gap, and potentially lose a round or match because of it. There's no risk on the side with the FB - it recharges for free. I have no problem with comeback mechanics, but there needs to be more cost surrounding them (X-Rays in MKX wasted all 3 bars for example).

Krushing blows are probably my most favourite of the newly introduced mechanics, almost solely due to the fact that they introduce bigger and better combo routes. I actually just listened to the podcast yesterday where you and REO etc all stated that this is a shallow game; this is one mechanic that adds more depth and strategy. HOWEVER, there are certain KB's that remove depth, exist on already safe strings (e.g., Jade), and an overall discrepancy between characters - Johnny has KB's you'll never hit in a serious game. Same with Kollector. Geras and Jax on the other hand can delete your entire health bar on the flip of a coin. There needs to be en element of fairness and skill to these KBs. Mashing D2 in the hopes of landing that KB is dumb as hell, but you see it almost every game.

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
This is a good one. I've been playing video games for almost forty years now, and I've played a lot of absolutely fantastic games, I've played a lot of bad games, and I've been disappointed by a lot of games for a whole host of reasons.

Off the top of my head, the three most disappointing games I've ever played, in no particular order, are: Half-Life 2, Gears of War 3, and Grand Theft Auto IV. I'm sure there's others that may even surpass these, though again, this is only off the top.

Damn, sir! I'm 46 years old. My first memories of gaming come from going to my grandmother's house in 1978 and watching my cousins gather around an old black and white tv to play pong with those controllers that had rotating dials on them to move the block around to hit the dot. They would not give me or my older brother a turn to play lol!

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
There are definitely flawless blocking superstars on the internet.

I think it's a great high level mechanic. You don't need it at all to play at low, mid, or even strong levels. And by the time someone is using it frequently against you, you are either good enough to know how to deal with it, or you are playing the wrong people. The skill level required to use it and minor payout helps prevents the game from needing a counter mechanic.

Games that have similar mechanics but have made them hyper accessible generally turns the basement skill level into players just doing the equivalent non stop to anybody and everybody that will let them. Crawling out of the minors ends up being you employing whatever the necessary counter mechanic is repeatedly to delete them before you even get to find people that know anything else.

All and all, I think Flawless blocking is the coolest and most interesting part of the game.
Even +200ping connections you can flawless block so anyone saying non existant online is wrong.

Plop

Noob
I've been on TYM since MK9, but I rarely post anything. I think, compared to the MK9/X days, these forums are now baron and desolate and I think that's just down to how basic and boring MK11 is.
Actually, I shouldn't say "Boring", because i DO like the game and I still play it. I just don't think it's got as much to keep us occupied as the last two games did. Labbing was always one of my favourite things about MK games and this site had new tech videos being uploaded constantly.
I went back and played MKX recently and I'd forgotten how much bullshit was in it, with the 50/50's and wotnot. They went from one extreme to the other though. I think this time around NRS were just so terrified about making an unbalanced game, that they took out most of the fun that came with the last two and left us with a really limited and bland (but balanced) game. It IS fun though, to an extent. I just don't think this game will keep my attention as long as the other two did unless they spice it up a bit.

Blewdew

PSN: MaxKayX3
any halfway decent player can flawless block reversal after a slightly minus string, out of plusframes, jump attacks etc. and you can even os it. it really isn't that hard even online.