What's new

General/Other - Sub-Zero 3 Variations of Sub-Zero discussion

ShArp

Dedicated Broly main
Im still not sure which variation I would like to main. Grandmaster or Unbreakable ;/

ShArp

Dedicated Broly main
What's your playstyle like?
Im used to aggresive style. I loved pressuring opponent in MK9 and instantly leaving my ice-clones infront of them to keep then on their toes. So I guess Grandmaster will be my main variation in MKX, but at the same time im interested to see how Unbreakable really works.

What do you think Unbreakable will play like?

Imperium

Noob
I think Unbreakable is going to be hard to judge until we know the full effect of that ice aura. In my opinion, it all comes down to that. I think all 3 forms will be useful, but HOW useful comes down to Cryomancer's damage, Grandmaster's clone utility, and Unbreakable's damage negation. One of those three will show itself to be more useful, but we just have no way of knowing which one it will be yet. But I bet someone who is good at using that ice aura and ice parry in Unbreakable is going to dominate matchmaking harder than the other 2 variations for a while.

SH0CKWAVE

Follow me to Glory
Variation 1. Ice Weapons
Variation 2. Parry and Ice Armor causing SZ to take less damage (not sure if its on hit, chip, or both)
Variation 3. Clone

Universal specials are Ice Blast and Slide. EX slide still has armor.
Does slide go under all mid to high projectiles or only some again?

Ryu Hayabusa

Filthy Casual
All 3 variations of Sub are looking good, it would have been better if he had grappler variation.

Conjuring ice spike from ground and impaling your opponent.

Cold suplex which leaves opponent frozen upside down.

Fireman's carry slam on ice spiked floor.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Very excited to use the improved slide. Is anyone else slightly bothered that Sub's Ice Ball is df2 now instead of df3?
Fucking hate that they switched it... but left characters like raiden with all his special moves being the same input. Like wtf is that about?!

Desperdicio

Tell me, do you bleed?
Really don't care about the input. I learned df3 and db1, and I'm going to learn df2 and db2 just as easily.

R.I.P Ground Freeze. Jan 1994 - Apr 2015. On a serious note Unbreakable looks like the strongest variation to me, so I think thats what im rolling with. Clones will always be great in certain match ups tho. Inb4 tom blows me up and says its the weakest after release.

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
I really want to learn more about his ice armor. I feel like that might actually be the make-or-break feature of Unbreakable. Weirdly enough, Grandmaster with Ice Clone seems to not be his most defensive option. Curious to see how those two play out.

loogie

Noob
I really want to learn more about his ice armor. I feel like that might actually be the make-or-break feature of Unbreakable. Weirdly enough, Grandmaster with Ice Clone seems to not be his most defensive option. Curious to see how those two play out.
regular ice aura negates chip damage
ex ice aura lowers overall damage taken
0 frame startup on both

ice parry/shield works against all types of hits, overhead/mid/low

This is the most defensive variation I believe... Cryo will have weak defense (nothing else outside of the ground burst) but higher damage and some additional strings

few days left anyway :) so let's wait and see.

xXstealthflameXx

Finding a Main
Cryomancer will mostly only be necessary against zoners most likely, but that depends on just how good his footsies are in cryo. Maybe he can actually be kick ass rush down character for once

Imperium

Noob
Cryo is going to be really, really good because of that overhead hammer. That's a huge tool that isn't available elsewhere with sub. Yeah the clone gives a ton of utility, but between the overhead hammer, the great uppercut, the air hammer, and that devastating dagger ender, I'm not sure Grandmaster will actually be the default choice for sub. Once I heard Unbreakable needed bar to get that sweet damage reduction, I lost interest in it for the most part. It may still be good, but I'll have to see it to believe it.

xXstealthflameXx

Finding a Main
Cryo is going to be really, really good because of that overhead hammer. That's a huge tool that isn't available elsewhere with sub. Yeah the clone gives a ton of utility, but between the overhead hammer, the great uppercut, the air hammer, and that devastating dagger ender, I'm not sure Grandmaster will actually be the default choice for sub. Once I heard Unbreakable needed bar to get that sweet damage reduction, I lost interest in it for the most part. It may still be good, but I'll have to see it to believe it.
Do we know if that restanding dagger ender is plus or neutral?