What's new

25 full roster with the added TYM most voted returning characters

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
The 25 years of fighting games all being about tournaments, apparently.
Just don't want them to go back to that premise.
So just to clarify, what you mean when you say you're tired of "tournament stories" is you're tired of seeing a three sentence blurb about a tournament in some character's BIO or ladder ending, like MK2 and SF2 and Tekken 2 would have had back in the day?

I hope you can appreciate why I would disagree with calling any of that a "story" and why I think a properly done one, today, would be a breath of fresh air.

Atriox

Here... I am a god!
I would also really welcome the return of the tournament, but seeing as it's a time travel story, there are chances we'll see a tournament at least somewhere in the story.

Which brings me to what I don't anymore. Fucking time travel. It's cool that this way we'll get to see dead characters return but that's about it. We've had a form of time travel in MK9 and now it's back in MK11. I'd just like to have an ongoing timeline for once, without any time altering bs.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
I would also really welcome the return of the tournament, but seeing as it's a time travel story, there are chances we'll see a tournament at least somewhere in the story.

Which brings me to what I don't anymore. Fucking time travel. It's cool that this way we'll get to see dead characters return but that's about it. We've had a form of time travel in MK9 and now it's back in MK11. I'd just like to have an ongoing timeline for once, without any time altering bs.
I'm really scared of two tropes rearing their ugly heads.

The first and biggest fear is that at the end of the story, a bunch of present day characters will be permanently replaced by their younger time-traveling selves, e.g. Liu Kang/Kung Lao/Kitana.

That would be a monumentally huge "fuck you" to the time we've already spent loving and hating these characters in MK9 and MKX, and watching what they went through. It would piss me right off. And on a side note, having Johnny/Sonya/Jax be in their 50s, while Liu and Lao are in their 20s... in every game going forward... would just be fucking weird.

But let's say that doesn't happen, the younger guys don't replace the older guys, instead at the end of the story they just shimmer out of existence. Great, right? Well not really, because it means all the time we spent playing as, or fighting against, time-traveling assholes in this game will go to waste. So instead of using precious story time to build up characters who will stick around forever, we'll waste it on characters who mean nothing and whose relationships with other characters mean nothing.

Either way, it sucks. All we can do is hope that the good stuff we get as a result of time travel makes up for the crappy tropes it sticks us with.

Atriox

Here... I am a god!
I'm really scared of two tropes rearing their ugly heads.

The first and biggest fear is that at the end of the story, a bunch of present day characters will be permanently replaced by their younger time-traveling selves, e.g. Liu Kang/Kung Lao/Kitana.

That would be a monumentally huge "fuck you" to the time we've already spent loving and hating these characters in MK9 and MKX, and watching what they went through. It would piss me right off. And on a side note, having Johnny/Sonya/Jax be in their 50s, while Liu and Lao are in their 20s... in every game going forward... would just be fucking weird.

But let's say that doesn't happen, the younger guys don't replace the older guys, instead at the end of the story they just shimmer out of existence. Great, right? Well not really, because it means all the time we spent playing as, or fighting against, time-traveling assholes in this game will go to waste. So instead of using precious story time to build up characters who will stick around forever, we'll waste it on characters who mean nothing and whose relationships with other characters mean nothing.

Either way, it sucks. All we can do is hope that the good stuff we get as a result of time travel makes up for the crappy tropes it sticks us with.
Exactly. Time travel is just a huge copout and will always result in someone getting fucked over. I already didn't like Injustice and its multiverse character swapping, and it's basically just that.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
We still good right? With Kano confirmation he was already on this roster and i think its safe to say that we can put the Kronika playable discussion to rest?

Lets see who else gets confirmed. Anyone not in this list but confirmed will remove a top 10 unconfirmed character

Sadly i think jax is gonna be in the roster, a new character and takeda. Removik havik, nightwolf and sareena maybe

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
lol Nightwolf
He was just on the top 10 most voted TYM returning characters, place which before 2 late votes was ocuppied by Skarlet.
Ironcally Skarlet was revealed to be on the base roster next day and she was top 11, so any non revealed top 10 character will snatch a place from the top 10 from this point on.

So far most of these characters are confirmed already, so we shall see, Kabal its probably today, and Kano was confirmed last week.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist

Roster Upated, with D'vorah's reveal she occupies one of the top 10 spots left, with this Nightwolf its out for now unless revealed later otherwise.

mattteo

Noob
The TYM roster actually looks pretty good IN THIS MOMENT. For the rest 9 unrevealed roster places (cause it's pretty certain Kitana, Kung Lao, Johnny and Cassie are in) we'd have Rain, Noob, Jade, Fujin, Havik, Sareena, Smoke, Shang Tsung and Mileena.

I think we'd all be happy with that roster. But you know that in those 9 we're gonna get the other kombat kids and 2-3 new characters, perhaps Kotal Kahn too. So it will suck (except for Kotal Kahn).

Even if we are very optimistic and we count 2 big packs of 6 DLC each (where I expect there will be 3 guest characters and 3 MK characters in each) that will make just 6 more MK character spots, which I expect to be occupied by more MK characters like Kabal (Nightwolf, Sindel, Reptile, Jax, 1 cyborg).

That will mean of the above voted Rain, Noob, Jade, Fujin, Havik, Sareena, Smoke, Shang Tsung and Mileena only 3-5 will make it, the rest will stay out, needless to talk about Reiko or Tanya or Frost or Ashrah.

That's why I say the 25 roster is just horrible and characters like Kano and Sonya would have better been left out.

Last edited:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Another one, we don't need to alter the roster until the next reveal Jade revealed and she was the highest female voted character on this roster.