What's new

General/Other 1.06 Shazam Patch Notes

Will you still use Shazam?

• Total voters

zoofs

bless
changes are awful, so far only looks like b23 can be linked into f223 and b23 f223 hm does 26%.. also looks like a sort of tight link

they nerfed his trait pretty heavily.. he was doing below 50 for a starter then 112 112 112 achilles clutch

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
changes are awful, so far only looks like b23 can be linked into f223 and b23 f223 hm does 26%.. also looks like a sort of tight link

they nerfed his trait pretty heavily.. he was doing below 50 for a starter then 112 112 112 achilles clutch
Yeah that's not ideal meterless damage, but it's still a decent over head started into a 1 meter combo.

What? Beginning of the round HM is amazing. It forces the opponent to give up space to Shazam or poke out early allowing a whiff punish. How can you say changes are awful? We don't even know the new AC range yet and he sounds great.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
they mentioned that its still "risky" so im guessing b23 will still be super unsafe
We'll just have to see what we can do, I never get punished too bad on B23, just bloc after, then attempt to back dash.
but at least we have more than F3 and F12 or whatever to overhead now.

zoofs

bless
What? Beginning of the round HM is amazing. It forces the opponent to give up space to Shazam or poke out early allowing a whiff punish. How can you say changes are awful? We don't even know the new AC range yet and he sounds great.
the range buffs are the only good things, damage buff is helpful but not that necessary

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
Because spite all the good the buffs bring it doesn't help Shazam at all in any of his bad MU's because those are all based on zoning.
His teleport/AT two of the moves that could have been buffed to get through zoning didn't get buffed.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
Do you want to play a character with no bad matchups? Is it wrong to have character weakness in certain aspects? If you want perfection so much why were you here instead of the Superman forums for the past 5 months? So what if he still has a problem with zoning?
I'm just saying, you can't trade when it comes to projectiles that well with shazam, and it's tough getting in, it's not the worst thing and I deal with it or play my secondary.

Chill dude.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Do you want to play a character with no bad matchups? Is it wrong to have character weakness in certain aspects? If you want perfection so much why were you here instead of the Superman forums for the past 5 months? So what if he still has a problem with zoning?
Thank fucking God a Shazam main says this. It's ridiculous to see people wanting their character's weaknesses completely removed. That's honestly been a major complaint among most low tiers, I've noticed.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Thank fucking God a Shazam main says this. It's ridiculous to see people wanting their character's weaknesses completely removed. That's honestly been a major complaint among most low tiers, I've noticed.
We don't want all weaknesses removed, but a characters weaknesses shouldn't come from a debilitating lack of a tool, it should come from not having a good tool.

Like "Shazam can't beat Superman because Shazam has zero safe footsies tools" is not balance.

But "The Superman matchup is tough because Superman has better footsies tools so you need to play well" is balance.

For instance, since everyone seems to love SFIV, no character in that game has NO footsies. A character's weakness can be that he doesn't have great footsies, but nobody has a complete lack of tools in the area like Shazam does.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
We don't want all weaknesses removed, but a characters weaknesses shouldn't come from a debilitating lack of a tool, it should come from not having a good tool.

Like "Shazam can't beat Superman because Shazam has zero safe footsies tools" is not balance.

But "The Superman matchup is tough because Superman has better footsies tools so you need to play well" is balance.

For instance, since everyone seems to love SFIV, no character in that game has NO footsies. A character's weakness can be that he doesn't have great footsies, but nobody has a complete lack of tools in the area like Shazam does.
Ibuki has no footsies, but she has vortex...hey wait...that sounds familiar???

Mortal Komhat

Worst Well-Established Goro Player Ever
Normally, you're given something to compensate that weakness. In this particular case, it'd be either ability to stay in or enough damage output to make the damage taken coming in not matter.

I personally believe that Shazam has both, but not enough of one or the other and that's why a lot of complaints arise. And yes, this is a complaint about low tiers because generally what they are given to compensate for their weakness just isn't enough.

Is the patch up yet?

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
That grab range looked pretty big to me but I dont play Shazam. Does he look like he may have better chances at starting offense off of longer ranged grabs now to you folks with experience? Also is bolt of zeus his thrown lightning projectile?

Redk9

Noob
Ibuki has no footsies, but she has vortex...hey wait...that sounds familiar???

Do not compare Ibuki's safe vortex in any situation, only escapable by ridiculously unsafe, or meter dependent wake ups to Shazams piss poor risky, and escapable by everyone vortex. Ibuki also has footsies they are just some of the worst in the game, made up for her numerous mobility options. Don't try to use an argument like that if you don't fully comprehend something in SF. Ibuki is a top 10 character, shazam is a bottom 5 character that comparison is clearly flawed.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Do not compare Ibuki's safe vortex in any situation, only escapable by ridiculously unsafe, or meter dependent wake ups to Shazams piss poor risky, and escapable by everyone vortex. Ibuki also has footsies they are just some of the worst in the game, made up for her numerous mobility options. Don't try to use an argument like that if you don't fully comprehend something in SF. Ibuki is a top 10 character, shazam is a bottom 5 character that comparison is clearly flawed.
Ibuki is a top ten character and her footsies are honestly garbage. Her best footsie tool is her crouching forward which I don't even know if that's cancellable or not. She is top ten because of vortex, pretty much. Also, shazam's vortex is great if you don't just go in mashing command grab on every knockdown you get.

SaJa

FH_FenriR
That grab range looked pretty big to me but I dont play Shazam. Does he look like he may have better chances at starting offense off of longer ranged grabs now to you folks with experience? Also is bolt of zeus his thrown lightning projectile?

They didn't show how long is the range ... It was already working from a start game distance before the patch so..

Redk9

Noob
Ibuki is a top ten character and her footsies are honestly garbage. Her best footsie tool is her crouching forward which I don't even know if that's cancellable or not. She is top ten because of vortex, pretty much. Also, shazam's vortex is great if you don't just go in mashing command grab on every knockdown you get.

Its not the same at all. Ibuki's is a meter less 50/50 that you cannot escape unless your willing to burn meter or do an extremely unsafe move. Shazams is a meter dependent 50/50 that everyone in the game can escape, some can escape safely, and without burning meter. Stop

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
They didn't show how long is the range ... It was already working from a start game distance before the patch so..
Oh okay. I thought I saw him use it for a combo before they started talking. If its a significant change do you think it could be a decent starter?

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
Oh okay. I thought I saw him use it for a combo before they started talking. If its a significant change do you think it could be a decent starter?
I'm hoping you can jump straight into HM and grab them straight up for first hit with the new range, but that would be insane.
And it would only take a back dash to punish, but still that sort of range would be awesome.

P.S I'm reply #200 I'll take my reward in pennies.