What's new

General/Other 1.06 Shazam Patch Notes

Will you still use Shazam?

• Total voters

SaJa

FH_FenriR
Oh okay. I thought I saw him use it for a combo before they started talking. If its a significant change do you think it could be a decent starter?

Absolutly because Shazam's forward dash are godlike. Now if we can run to them and catch them from a "safe distance" with that unblockable grab, it looks great. :)

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Its not the same at all. Ibuki's is a meter less 50/50 that you cannot escape unless your willing to burn meter or do an extremely unsafe move. Shazams is a meter dependent 50/50 that everyone in the game can escape, some can escape safely, and without burning meter. Stop
DP'ing in Ibuki's vortex is only unsafe if she reads the dp or tries to bait it and does a safe jump setup specifically for baiting out dp's. So because Shazam actually has limited use of his vortex and has to use it sparingly it isn't good? Unlike Ibuki who is about to lose hers because it was so broken. I'm not comparing the vortexes themselves, more so just the general idea. Just because you can't use the vortex for free doesn't mean it isn't great.

Sneak

Noob
Ibuki is a top ten character and her footsies are honestly garbage. Her best footsie tool is her crouching forward which I don't even know if that's cancellable or not. She is top ten because of vortex, pretty much. Also, shazam's vortex is great if you don't just go in mashing command grab on every knockdown you get.
To bad aquaman doesn't give a shit about Shazam's vortex and just shields every option possible. Also, its hard to compare a wake-up vortex in this game with one in street fighter. You are normally only baiting out one type of move in SF like an unsafe dp. This game has characters with like 3 or 4 options to choose from on wake up that could lead to full combos at times.

SaJa

FH_FenriR
Its not the same at all. Ibuki's is a meter less 50/50 that you cannot escape unless your willing to burn meter or do an extremely unsafe move. Shazams is a meter dependent 50/50 that everyone in the game can escape, some can escape safely, and without burning meter. Stop

Well, the only way to escape shazam's vortex is to wakeup actually, so if they don't you grab, if they do you can punish them, this is also a kind of 50/50. His issue was to not making good damage with 1 meter, and doing nothing meterless so the risk/reward was actually not good enough to try the 50/50 over and over. Now it looks legit. :)

Redk9

Noob
DP'ing in Ibuki's vortex is only unsafe if she reads the dp or tries to bait it and does a safe jump setup specifically for baiting out dp's. So because Shazam actually has limited use of his vortex and has to use it sparingly it isn't good? Unlike Ibuki who is about to lose hers because it was so broken. I'm not comparing the vortexes themselves, more so just the general idea. Just because you can't use the vortex for free doesn't mean it isn't great.

Wrong, if she properly times it off a knockdown you will get hit doing any type of dp wake up. My roomate uses ibuki, has the pdf guide, and has constantly tested opponents to reversal out of it. Its what sako does against everyone of his opponents. The argument here is Ibuki's vortex is the shit, and Shazams is shit. So if they can't buff his bad tools to make him a little more well rounded, then they at least have to buff his vortex(his primary tool) in some way.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
To bad aquaman doesn't give a shit about Shazam's vortex and just shields every option possible. Also, its hard to compare a wake-up vortex in this game with one in street fighter. You are normally only baiting out one type of move in SF like an unsafe dp. This game has characters with like 3 or 4 options to choose from on wake up that could lead to full combos at times.
Fair point, and also Aquaman doesn't give a shit about anything ever lol.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Wrong, if she properly times it off a knockdown you will get hit doing any type of dp wake up. My roomate uses ibuki, has the pdf guide, and has constantly tested opponents to reversal out of it. Its what sako does against everyone of his opponents. The argument here is Ibuki's vortex is the shit, and Shazams is shit. So if they can't buff his bad tools to make him a little more well rounded, then they at least have to buff his vortex(his primary tool) in some way.
As for the vortex, good luck timing that right, and if you do you're better than me. (Not saying much tbh though I don't really play that game that much yet lol) I'm going to be going in circles here so we can agree to disagree. I understand you're points, but he really doesn't need any better footsie tools. If you were to give him anything of the sort I would say make 22 positive on block. It would get rid of the tick he has on block, but it would open up more options and you would be able to make people respect your pressure enough to delay tick throws.

Sneak

Noob
Fair point, and also Aquaman doesn't give a shit about anything ever lol.
It just feels like the character was built around the vortex but the other characters wake-ups are so strong that the core of his game becomes irrelevant. What else does he really have? His normals really aren't that great since they don't have much range and a command grab that only hits standing or only hits crouching will only get you so far. 2, 2 HM is okay until people know that they can backdash and all you get is a situation they get out of your pressure free, take about 10% from psycho crusher (don't quote me on percentage) or use a meter to keep your pressure going. Everything seems extremely high risk with a pretty small reward and everything costs a meter. Hopefully the patch makes the rewards for smart play better with the extra damage.

Redk9

Noob
Well, the only way to escape shazam's vortex is to wakeup actually, so if they don't you grab, if they do you can punish them, this is also a kind of 50/50. His issue was to not making good damage with 1 meter, and doing nothing meterless so the risk/reward was actually not good enough to try the 50/50 over and over. Now it looks legit. :)

How do you punish Green arrows arrow back dash? How do you punish superman breath. What if he mixes up using his breath and his superman punch? What if he does his superman punch everytime? What if shazam does atlas torpedo and mixes that up with back teleport? Now the mix up between him doing nothing and waking up and doing two options? 33/33/33? Its not as linear as you think

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
That isn't true, you can't DP out of her vortex at all.

Also her footsies are significantly better and safer than Shazam's footsies, plus her vortex is significantly better ans safer than Shazam's.

Your comparison is not good at all. Ibuki has cr.MK, cr.MP, Sweep, slide, etc. Take those all away and make her play footsies with just her standing medium punch and neck breaker, and you pretty much get Shazam footsies. She also has WAY better reward for knocking down.

SaJa

FH_FenriR
22 gives a 50/50 (torpedo MB or hm) + vortex situation again. It's fine how it is. Imo, Shazam looks great now since he does more damages.

I also think the armored b3 +50% will help him to do even more damage with 2 bars (one for hm the other one for the b3).

SaJa

FH_FenriR
How do you punish Green arrows arrow back dash? How do you punish superman breath. What if he mixes up using his breath and his superman punch? What if he does his superman punch everytime? What if shazam does atlas torpedo and mixes that up with back teleport? Now the mix up between him doing nothing and waking up and doing two options? 33/33/33? Its not as linear as you think

Back dash doesn't work on wakeup against HM, if you are talking about his wakeup I think jump in punish him (Flash jump in 2 does, and yet it sucks). About Superman, he isn't good char for nothing but is it the only example you've got ? ;)
Ji2 crossup is also an option.

http://www.testyourmight.com/threads/wake-up-punish-guide.34499/

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
That isn't true, you can't DP out of her vortex at all.

Also her footsies are significantly better and safer than Shazam's footsies, plus her vortex is significantly better ans safer than Shazam's.

Your comparison is not good at all. Ibuki has cr.MK, cr.MP, Sweep, slide, etc. Take those all away and make her play footsies with just her standing medium punch and neck breaker, and you pretty much get Shazam footsies. She also has WAY better reward for knocking down.
Read previous post.

Sneak

Noob
22 gives a 50/50 (torpedo MB or hm) + vortex situation again. It's fine how it is. Imo, Shazam looks great now since he does more damages.

I also think the armored b3 +50% will help him to do even more damage with 2 bars (one for hm the other one for the b3).
This 50/50 is still high risk / low reward once they know what Shazam can do. You still have to pay to have that situation again and nothing guaranteed comes from it other than having the situation. If you guess wrong you with atlas torpedo you take a full combo from the punish, if you guess right you get like 10% and a 50/50 on wake up vs characters with like 3 wake up options that you have to read to get damage. So many reads for so little.

SaJa

FH_FenriR
This 50/50 is still high risk / low reward once they know what Shazam can do. You still have to pay to have that situation again and nothing guaranteed comes from it other than having the situation. If you guess wrong you with atlas torpedo you take a full combo from the punish, if you guess right you get like 10% and a 50/50 on wake up vs characters with like 3 wake up options that you have to read to get damage. So many reads for so little.

Atlas torpedo is safe at the closest distance am I wrong ? Shazam does now much more damage on his BnB so it's worth.

About vortex : Hm MB or f3 MB (+50%) is a real 50/50 even against Superman.

Sneak

Noob
Atlas torpedo is safe at the closest distance am I wrong ? Shazam does now much more damage on his BnB so it's worth.

About vortex : Hm MB or f3 MB (+50%) is a real 50/50 even against Superman.
It depends who you are fighting against. There are some characters that can still punish. And do we know yet how much damage his bnb does? Also that 50/50 vs superman doesn't work if he does his upward grab move on wake up (I don't know the name). It escapes both options and he recovers to fast afterwards.

SaJa

FH_FenriR
It depends who you are fighting against. There are some characters that can still punish. And do we know yet how much damage his bnb does? Also that 50/50 vs superman doesn't work if he does his upward grab move on wake up (I don't know the name). It escapes both options and he recovers to fast afterwards.

His BnB does around +7% I believe.

Are you sure Superman can do upward grab wakeup through f3 armored ? Are you sure I can't empty hm or d2 before he recovery after it ?
And at worse, you block, if he does charge or breath it's not like the end of all time, if he does his grab you punish him for doing it. I mean, it's not that a bad situation and again you just mentionning Superman.

"there are some char that can still punish". Ok, I want names.

imo, I'll stay positive about his futur buffs/metagame. And at worse, he will be as good as his rival xD

Xanru

Noob
They did a combo off of raw HM that went HM mb, b3, j2, f223xxhm and that did 37%, so I'd guess replacing that j2 with a j3 would net him ~40%. The b23 one went b23, f223xxhm mb, j2, d3 = 35%, just b23, f223xxhm was like 26% I believe.

Sneak

Noob

Are you sure Superman can do upward grab wakeup through f3 armored ? Are you sure I can't empty hm or d2 before he recovery after it ? And at worse, you block, if it does charge or breath it's not like the end of all time, if he does his grab you punish him for doing it. I mean, it's not that a bad situation and again you just mentionning Superman.

"there are some char that can still punish". Ok, I want names.

imo, I'll stay positive about his futur buffs/metagame. And at worse, he will be as good as his rival xD
I mentioned superman because you said it worked vs superman. You can check the recovery of the move. A naked HM or d2 isn't fast enough if you attempt to do MB F3 or HM on wake up. I was directly replying to the 50/50 scenario you described.

SaJa

FH_FenriR
I mentioned superman because you said it worked vs superman. You can check the recovery of the move. A naked HM or d2 isn't fast enough if you attempt to do MB F3 or HM on wake up. I was directly replying to the 50/50 scenario you described.

You replied with only 1 counter example which is weak. And again, are you sure the upward grab don't get hit by f3 MB ?

Except superman, who has 3 good options on wakeup to kill shazam's anti wakeup mindgame.

Also, I didn't mentionned that shazam also have dirty crossup doing even more damage after the patch that can surprise the opponent to extend his vortex (like hm MB, dash in, Ji2 crossup or not).

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Considerably less I think.

On stream they did:

MB HM > B3 > J2 > F223 xx HM and it did 37%, which is only 3% more than the current build. I expect the optimal combo (that but with j3) will do 40%

SaJa

FH_FenriR
Considerably less I think.

On stream they did:

MB HM > B3 > J2 > F223 xx HM and it did 37%, which is only 3% more than the current build. I expect the optimal combo (that but with j3) will do 40%

If it's only 3% it sucks indeed since they nerfed his trait shazam can be even worse. We have no information about his grabs new range. I'll wait and see.

Redk9

Noob
Back dash doesn't work on wakeup against HM, if you are talking about his wakeup I think jump in punish him (Flash jump in 2 does, and yet it sucks). About Superman, he isn't good char for nothing but is it the only example you've got ? ;)
Ji2 crossup is also an option.

http://www.testyourmight.com/threads/wake-up-punish-guide.34499/

But Ji2 isn't the 50/50 mix up. You haven't actually answered anything I asked. That wake up punish guide doesn't use an option to keep the 50/50 a real option, and has different methods of punishing different things when they can all be interchangable. Its not simply don't wake up get grabbed, wake up get punished. The punish varys not only for character to character but wake up to wake up.
You would have to try to cover 4 different options and then the 50/50 has been divided into a point where its not even effective anymore. Do you really not see that?