What's new

Yu-Gi-Oh (Dueling Network/DevPro)

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
OJuggernautO has Yu Gi Oh progressed far since like 2003-2004, as that was the last time i really played and i can barely remember how to play.

Also would it still be viable to run a micro-stall deck, i remember having a really awkward deck full of giant germ, nimble momonga, blast spheres, reflect bounder, cyber stein and then some trap/magic cards to keep your life points above 5000 to cyber stein special summon something up and then wipe the board once you are sure they cant counter it from their current hand/face downs.

Used to work pretty well but if nothing goes your way you can end up with a hand full of semi useless cards and no way to special summon any of your greater monsters...

Wish i remembered how to play though, i'll have to give someone a game soon!
It's progressed very far. I never really played the game seriously back then, just liked collecting/trading/selling the cards. But back then it was a lot simpler and slower. It was hard to bring out high atk monsters and when you did they were usually non-effect monsters. People who are just now starting back think that since the duels are shorter, there's no more strategy. That's definitely false. There is a lot of auto-pilot decks and what not, but honestly, Yugioh has never been known as a game that requires a lot of skill. Sure, you have to have a lot of knowledge and experience. But luck is a very big factor in the game, so you can outplay your opponent and make all the right decisions and plays, and still end up losing because your opponent drew the exact and only card he needed to win.

The main advice I have is don't take the game too seriously. It's very fun to play casually and competitively, but it's not a serious competitive game to me because luck is a bigger factor than skill.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
It's progressed very far. I never really played the game seriously back then, just liked collecting/trading/selling the cards. But back then it was a lot simpler and slower. It was hard to bring out high atk monsters and when you did they were usually non-effect monsters. People who are just now starting back think that since the duels are shorter, there's no more strategy. That's definitely false. There is a lot of auto-pilot decks and what not, but honestly, Yugioh has never been known as a game that requires a lot of skill. Sure, you have to have a lot of knowledge and experience. But luck is a very big factor in the game, so you can outplay your opponent and make all the right decisions and plays, and still end up losing because your opponent drew the exact and only card he needed to win.

The main advice I have is don't take the game too seriously. It's very fun to play casually and competitively, but it's not a serious competitive game to me because luck is a bigger factor than skill.
I remember it playing alot slower before because decks were built to accomodate checks for counters and common picks (everyone and their aunt wanted a BEWD deck no?), and still going for themed decks or staying as close to a win condition as possible with your deck so you dont just spend an hour pulling out "alright" cards but with no real way to wrap it up.

God i remember the amount of exodia loop decks though, one of my friends had a faceplant "butterfly dagger - elm" deck which let him pretty much pull out the entire exodia set if he could get 2 monsters on the field that meant he can continually summon, destroy, resummon, and draw exodia piece by piece until he wins...

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
There's still some retarded Exodia decks. I don't understand why people play them. The decks are built so that you're basically playing by yourself. Just drawing cards almost infinitely until you have Exodia. I don't understand how that's fun not letting your opponent do anything and just going through the entire deck in 1-2 turns then winning.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
There's still some retarded Exodia decks. I don't understand why people play them. The decks are built so that you're basically playing by yourself. Just drawing cards almost infinitely until you have Exodia. I don't understand how that's fun not letting your opponent do anything and just going through the entire deck in 1-2 turns then winning.
winning is winning, if you take it in 2 turns or 50 you win, just when theres SO MUCH luck at hand, i would hate to see grand finals exodia deck though if i was into competetive yu-gi-oh, especially if they win through a clutch draw of their last piece, its not a good mechanic.

Similar thing with the "destiny board-i-n-a-l " type decks, made me wonder if they actually thought they had some talent for yugioh, or if there just wasnt the cards to deal with that sort of strategy back then...

Thats one reason for me having Card Destruction <3. I lose to some Exodia decks still ,but it does work.

Gruff757

The Gruff
Eh I have to stick with my YGO WC 2007 and 2008 ds games lol. In 07 I have this boss ass deck I named Wrath of Red-Eyes that revolves around Red-Eyes and all of his forms (Darkness, Metal, Black Skull, Meteor Black) and wrecking shit. I gotta find the damn game first though, cause now i feel like playing again (stopped after people stopped playing over wifi) :(

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
Most people's decks are very similar, but yesterday I just faced somebody with a really really good deck that was not like any other deck I have encountered before. This dude had a card called Angry Colosseum or something like that, that forces all monsters in attack position to attack everyturn. And all face up cards that didn't attack are destroyed at the end phase. But the catch, was that he had a whole bunch of face down super high defense cards and meta slime things with 3000 defense, and he had a trap card that makes his monsters defense double. So I was forced to attack his 6000 def point monster with every monster on my field. Than he just had a whole bunch of staunch defenders and things and alot of other trap cards. It was a pretty interesting deck, but he basically makes you scared to attack at all or even flip a monster face up the whole entire duel lol.

EDIT: Oh yeah and I also forgot to mention he had ojama trio, which puts 3 ojama tokens on my side of the field with 0 attack and he forced them into attack mode with a trap card. Than I had 3 ojama tokens with 0 attack forced to attack 3000 def point monsters lol. It was ridiculous

ForeverKing

Lol idky u hate them so much. They loose to card like other cards do like bottomless trap hole, dimensional prison, fiendish chain, COMPULSORY EVACUATION DEVICE, and etc
XYZ cards suck to fight against because they are basically high attack point and def point monsters with good effects that you can special summon at any time.

The things thats stupid to me about the xyz/synchro monsters are that they are in your extra deck, meaning you don't have to draw them you can almost just pull them out very easily any time during the duel

Hitoshura

Head Cage
XYZ cards suck to fight against because they are basically high attack point and def point monsters with good effects that you can special summon at any time.

The things thats stupid to me about the xyz/synchro monsters are that they are in your extra deck, meaning you don't have to draw them you can almost just pull them out very easily any time during the duel
So are fusions. Without XYZ/Syncro monsters this game would be slow as balls like it was around its release and would probably suck to.

ForeverKing

So are fusions. Without XYZ/Syncro monsters this game would be slow as balls like it was around its release and would probably suck to.
Nah, everyone liked it back than and I think everyone would still like it now. Longer games call for more strategies and plans compared to shorter games with powerful monsters you can easily call out. Idk everyone has different opinions I guess

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Nah, everyone liked it back than and I think everyone would still like it now. Longer games call for more strategies and plans compared to shorter games with powerful monsters you can easily call out. Idk everyone has different opinions I guess
Slow games were good, you got to add a few different strategies into your deck and hope you can pull one off to win, but now it seems people will be going all out obliteration and if their draws dont go the way they planned them to, they lose hard!

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
It's not necessarily long duels being the problem. There's plenty of times long duels happen nowadays. The problem with long duels back then, is that they were long because it required a lot to win and a lot to summon decent monsters. Meaning, they were long because they really couldn't be quick unless you got a perfect hand and perfect draws. Long duels that happen today are long because certain stall strategies or neither player can do anything due to the situation. If a long duel happens in the current meta than it can either be boring or really good.

Trust me, REO and I have built decks with only older cards. The duels are so boring and drawn out, it's annoying and a waste of time. I used to be the same way as you guys, saying the old Yugioh was better with no Syncrho's or XYZ's. But it isn't, there wasn't enough options. That's the thing. FOREVER KING keeps saying there were more strategies, that isn't true. There's waaay more strategy today than there ever was. Longer duels doesn't automatically mean more strategy. And in the specific case of back in the day, it meant less strategy because you had less options.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
It's not necessarily long duels being the problem. There's plenty of times long duels happen nowadays. The problem with long duels back then, is that they were long because it required a lot to win and a lot to summon decent monsters. Meaning, they were long because they really couldn't be quick unless you got a perfect hand and perfect draws. Long duels that happen today are long because certain stall strategies or neither player can do anything due to the situation. If a long duel happens in the current meta than it can either be boring or really good.

Trust me, REO and I have built decks with only older cards. The duels are so boring and drawn out, it's annoying and a waste of time. I used to be the same way as you guys, saying the old Yugioh was better with no Syncrho's or XYZ's. But it isn't, there wasn't enough options. That's the thing. FOREVER KING keeps saying there were more strategies, that isn't true. There's waaay more strategy today than there ever was. Longer duels doesn't automatically mean more strategy. And in the specific case of back in the day, it meant less strategy because you had less options.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
It's not necessarily long duels being the problem. There's plenty of times long duels happen nowadays. The problem with long duels back then, is that they were long because it required a lot to win and a lot to summon decent monsters.
-snip-
I disagree that it required alot to win, the win conditions for your deck were what you made them, be it summoning your most powerful monster, drawing the right magic card for a sweeping setup, revealing the right set of traps to put a strain on the opponents strategy, it really depended on how you build the deck.

I can understand that when people are stalling an exodia deck or playing with a huge deck full of 1-4 star and just filling the field with shit so you cant attack them, or using awkward effects to harrass you for ages, but really it just came down to putting certain combinations of cards in your deck that you can aim for, and try and win from there.

Im guessing with the synch amd XYZ decks theres a sense of complete obliteration right off the bat, depending on how fast you draw the cards you needed, and focussing the whole deck around that "style" or call it "condition" for you to win, as its not really the first time ive heard people saying about "new" yu gi oh losing the strategy.

For the record i loved playing stall, and by the sounds of the metagame i probably still would, im just guessing theres more favourable playstyles...

ForeverKing

Thats one reason for me having Card Destruction <3. I lose to some Exodia decks still ,but it does work.
Card destruction wont save you. You would have to draw it in the first 2 turns lol. I played some exodia decks already and this one guy beat me before i could even make my first move. Literally at the start of the match I picked rock and he picked paper so he went first, and he drew his whole entire deck in the first turn of the duel and won so that i couldnt even play. It was retarded lol.
Plus sometimes when your playing a guy with an exodia deck that makes him draw alot, they keep drawing cards really really fast and sometimes you cant even tell if they drew too many. I know those guys sneak a card here and there because the game is manual so they just keep playing their magic over and over and drawing over and over, its hard to keep track of how many they were actually suppose to draw. Its stupid

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Note, Ive been only playing with my friend on this 'cause he likes to use OP cards and I like the challenge.Also a memory refresh is pretty nice too.

Whenever any of you feel like it just add me as friend. Same as here(I'm so happy the space is there now big shoutouts to STORMS)

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Note, Ive been only playing with my friend on this 'cause he likes to use OP cards and I like the challenge.Also a memory refresh is pretty nice too.

Whenever any of you feel like it just add me as friend. Same as here(I'm so happy the space is there now big shoutouts to STORMS)
look at the pic more carefully.