What's new

"You're Fired!" -- Joker General Discussion Thread

Jack White

The Clown Prince of Crime
Not yet, but these buffs don't seem THAT great (unlike Catwoman's) but man, this is a start. At least they are going in a proper direction.

Ren21

Noob
Patch is out on XBl atleast and looks like you can combo 2 1 into RLG (cancel 3rd hit) Works on big characters too. Fixing his strings so there true mids (212) would be PERFECT.

This is certainly a step in the right direction though very cool NRS put these fixes in this quickly. At the very least this will give us something to work with.

Cat

laudanum09

Darling
Cool. 2,1 into RLG working universally. Really happy about that. 2,1 is already such a great string. Pretty much a go to for jump ins and meaties since it hits 'mid'. Has last nearly 10 seconds now and actually feels like a decent amount of game time. Still needs a lot of work to get the actual parry part to be useful regardless of changes to Ha buffs but we're gettin there.

Next up is to make 212 AND f.2,3,2 hit mid. 232 has the potential to be really nice to follow up a frame trap if the risk of whiffing 3 in their face wasn't so high. Do a little bit more with the parry and we'll be good to go.

Cat

This guy looks kind of tuff...
Patch is out on XBl atleast and looks like you can combo 2 1 into RLG (cancel 3rd hit) Works on big characters too. Fixing his strings so there true mids (212) would be PERFECT.

This is certainly a step in the right direction though very cool NRS put these fixes in this quickly. At the very least this will give us something to work with.

Cat
So 21 combos into low tank? Tested?
This is what I was hoping for the most. It's a start. Trait is still pretty useless but the 21 gas tank was much needed.

Do you wait for the 3rd hit of 21? Or the 2nd hit?

so who else experiences lately that people are starting to run away when they aint even a zoner to begin with? it cracks me up they get scared of low tier joker..

SquirtMcGirt

Purple balls covering the screen
What about b1? I'm at work till eight eastern time and don't get to play till then. Can you b1 into rolling gas for a combo? I hope lol.

What about b1? I'm at work till eight eastern time and don't get to play till then. Can you b1 into rolling gas for a combo? I hope lol.
yes you can insert a bomb after b1 but they can block it or jump over aswell. also you can combo it now after 3,2. can also do a rolling gas after a F +3 now

I've been trying to level up my Joker for the last week or so and these are the issues I've been running into:

1. Anti-Air - Due to D2's slow start up, it's getting beaten or traded with nearly every time I throw it out. J3 seems to work if I scout early enough. Anything better than these two?

2. Parry - I read the mid-string parry guide and to learn some gaps (GL's B1,2 gap in particular), but MAN, it seems like the timing is SUPER strict. Way too strict to risk timing the parry. Am I missing something here, or is it really this damn hard to parry mid string?

3. Acid Flower Follow ups - Move-list says that Acid is +4 on hit, but the distance it puts the enemy at is too far mid screen. What are you guys using post acid? Gunshot? Teeth?

4. Input Shortcuts leading to accidental LG or RLG - This is killing me. LG is SO BAD. If I Db in order to quickly D2 or D1 about 1/4 times I get a LG, and then my opponent destroys me, lol. My street fighter instincts say to go to Db but it seems like Injustice reads that as a shortcut. Anybody else running into this issue? If so, what'd you do to get around it?

5. The Mid-Range Game - Against bad players I can J2 and J3 all day, but against experienced players it's a little more difficult. I'm finding that the range on Joker's normals make mid-range play difficult. I pretty much D3 all day right now. Any advice?

SunLord5

Dualshock 2 User
They buffed his parry. Low parry does 11% high parry does 13% and the Ha's last much longer and only increase movement speed. They seem to last about 8 seconds then go away all at once.

It looks like they changed 212 also, it used to whiff the 4th hit on crouching opponents.

32 (2nd hit) RLG
21 (2nd hit) RLG

It's good that he can now hit confirm off of jump ins.

Also his strings combo big characters now! That's a huge buff. He has 4 to choose from.

laudanum09

Darling
I think Joker needs to get a jump in to set anything up. Mid-screen he has ass options other than a RIDICULOUS sweep. Does anyone else have such an insane d2? thing hits from start of round spacing which is like 2 and a half character distances. I think it's not a bad option to set up jump ins.

after that, frame trap them and hit confirm them. 2,1 is very plus on block and 2,1 (first hit) xx teeth is safe on block, 2,1 (2nd hit) xx teeth is safe on block, 3,2 is safe on block etc.

laudanum09

Darling
Anyone think a frame trap/non teeth setup thread would be a good idea? A compendium of all stuff not teeth related like cross up setups, meaties vs. char specific wakeups, viable universal and char specific frame traps, etc?

I've been trying to level up my Joker for the last week or so and these are the issues I've been running into:

1. Anti-Air - Due to D2's slow start up, it's getting beaten or traded with nearly every time I throw it out. J3 seems to work if I scout early enough. Anything better than these two?

2. Parry - I read the mid-string parry guide and to learn some gaps (GL's B1,2 gap in particular), but MAN, it seems like the timing is SUPER strict. Way too strict to risk timing the parry. Am I missing something here, or is it really this damn hard to parry mid string?

3. Acid Flower Follow ups - Move-list says that Acid is +4 on hit, but the distance it puts the enemy at is too far mid screen. What are you guys using post acid? Gunshot? Teeth?

4. Input Shortcuts leading to accidental LG or RLG - This is killing me. LG is SO BAD. If I Db in order to quickly D2 or D1 about 1/4 times I get a LG, and then my opponent destroys me, lol. My street fighter instincts say to go to Db but it seems like Injustice reads that as a shortcut. Anybody else running into this issue? If so, what'd you do to get around it?

5. The Mid-Range Game - Against bad players I can J2 and J3 all day, but against experienced players it's a little more difficult. I'm finding that the range on Joker's normals make mid-range play difficult. I pretty much D3 all day right now. Any advice?
1. No idea.

2. Yeah, the parry is strict. It'll take practice, but once we figure out which strings the other characters like for pressure, it should be easier to narrow down the ones to practice.

3. Acid flower I believe does best damage. It's also a restand, so no tech rolling away. Gunshot does less and pushes them away, which is bad. If you do teeth, they can tech-roll. EX crowbar (the special) does the most, but it pushes away, and it usually doesn't do much more.

4. Using Alternate Inputs removes the shortcuts.

5. Gunshot and gun-dash cancelling seem important. Just laying random teeth too.

Anyone think a frame trap/non teeth setup thread would be a good idea? A compendium of all stuff not teeth related like cross up setups, meaties vs. char specific wakeups, viable universal and char specific frame traps, etc?
Could be cool. Not sure it needs to be non-teeth only, though. Joker's best set ups usually use teeth, after all. If you wanted to split it, though, might be smart.

laudanum09

Darling
Could be cool. Not sure it needs to be non-teeth only, though. Joker's best set ups usually use teeth, after all. If you wanted to split it, though, might be smart.
I think it might be useful since we already have a dedicated teeth setup thread. Making another universal setup one might be unnecessary and adding frame trap and crossup stuff to the teeth one might clutter it. I'll wait till I get at least one or two more people into the idea before I make it though.

Gilbagz

Joker here~
2,1 COMBOS INTO RLG?!
MY JOKER IS COMPLETE! (Ish lol)

Biggest and best change for Joker. Has hit confirmable string that leads to frame traps and safe teeth set ups.
Man Joker going to be nasty now.
2,1,2 going to be one of the best strings in the game now for sure.

Gilbagz

Joker here~
Guys was experimenting a bit more with SonicFox's otg off a crowbar in the corner.
Standing 3 also otgs. This kinda cool because 3,2 flower leaves you spaced where b1 connects but most peoples d1's will whiff. Also flower leaves you at +4 so this would be a frame trap. Need to experiment more but found it kinda cool.

Bane specific, but because of his hitbox, after this set up, you are still in range to do 2,1. So you can go straight back into 2,1,2 teeth stuff or just 2,1 pressure in general. (Dunno if this is completely true, but was in range when I was testing)

Guys how are you ending corner combos? Before I was just dropping teeth and doing random ji2's and ji3's. Confirming into 2,1,2 and then dropping more teeth. Seemed to work for the most part, but it should get blown up by some wake up attacks. Thinking we're going to have use the OTG stuff for characters with wake ups that escape the teeth stuff (otherwise we would have to make the read on wake up attacks to punish them. Which isn't completely bad I guess.) But yeah crowbar knockdowns into 3,2 flower grants the +4 which gives a free b1. Once they respect that, you can come in with other strings.

Or is better to just take the crazy damage from Cat's new corner Bnb?

Just ideas right now with the OTG right now.

JaredL

Aww shit <REDACTED DUE TO FEELINGS> its Shapzam
They seriously need to make his parry the best in the game. Like, look at how overpowerd some peoples traits are. Black Adam, Aquaman, Superman and of course, Batman have game changing traits and Joker has shit.

Make it have more active frames than batmans parry, less recovery frames and make it 1 frame start up. Also make his HAs! last for more/full round.

And make his goddamn 212 hit mid like it fucking says.

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
I've played with Joker since day one, but I haven't seriously gotten into the character until the past week after learning the others I wanted to. With that said, what is the textbook way you guys are playing Joker?

I have a few combos with him but I feel like I'm not taking advantage of the teeth. I usually throw them down after a sweep or hard knowckdown. I'm seeing people use teeth inside of a combo as well. So, when are the best times to use the teeth?

I'm also using the J3 a whole lot, but when one of them hits I have no follow ups. Is there anything you can do after a connected J3?

JaredL

Aww shit <REDACTED DUE TO FEELINGS> its Shapzam
I've played with Joker since day one, but I haven't seriously gotten into the character until the past week after learning the others I wanted to. With that said, what is the textbook way you guys are playing Joker?

I have a few combos with him but I feel like I'm not taking advantage of the teeth. I usually throw them down after a sweep or hard knowckdown. I'm seeing people use teeth inside of a combo as well. So, when are the best times to use the teeth?

I'm also using the J3 a whole lot, but when one of them hits I have no follow ups. Is there anything you can do after a connected J3?
I use J3 to anti air people mostly since it works really well with priority.

I tend to do a cross up after a sweep, though you ought to be careful in some match ups and then 21 into hit confirmed low gas or 212 into teeth.

Basically, try to do block strings and lead into cannister on hit, or teeth on block.

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
I use J3 to anti air people mostly since it works really well with priority.

I tend to do a cross up after a sweep, though you ought to be careful in some match ups and then 21 into hit confirmed low gas or 212 into teeth.

Basically, try to do block strings and lead into cannister on hit, or teeth on block.
Do you follow up the J3 with anything? I notice that on grounded characters the small bounce might have a window to follow up with something.

I like the 212 string for a hit confirm now. It seems like getting into a low gas combo is much easier.

But still, what's the best way to use the teeth?

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
j3 follow ups:
-b1,3,
-crossup j3, d2, mb LG (db1), b3, j2, 3,2 flower
That's awesome. Thank you.

I've looked around the forum for some posts that explain the teeth setups, but I haven't really found anything. I might be looking in the wrong place though.

laudanum09

Darling
There's an entire thread for teeth setups, look for it, read through it though, lots of stuff brought up and then found to be irrelevant/escapable etc.

I pmed you a write up though on teeth. I think you'll find it useful.