What's new

Match-up Discussion Wonder Woman Match-Up Discussion

Filipino Man

Retirement my ass
Don't get me wrong, I agree with you.

Without trait it's still a guaranteed 50/50 on his wake-up though. If he does have trait available then yeah, he can just activate it and block high which sucks. I've seen people advocate the cross-up f3/b2 mix-up but I think it's pretty gimmicky since you can react to f3 pretty easily since it's 30 frames.
I think Aquaman is her absolute worst match up.

Even if she gets a commanding lead his jumpins are better than hers and it's free damage for him to attempt the comeback while Wonder Woman has only one range where she beats aqua. You have to pester him with bash or else you will lose and you are always negative with bash so you can just mindlessly do it and you have to stay defensive which is counterintuitive to what Wonder Woman players know how to do.

Akromaniac27

Ready to lose your head?

Even if she gets a commanding lead his jumpins are better than hers and it's free damage for him to attempt the comeback while Wonder Woman has only one range where she beats aqua. You have to pester him with bash or else you will lose and you are always negative with bash so you can just mindlessly do it and you have to stay defensive which is counterintuitive to what Wonder Woman players know how to do.
If she could use her bracelets the way she ACTUALLY could do so, she'd body everyone. Or even a side step move. Meh, she just could've been taken SO much further than the b2, 33, b1, d1 nonsense

Akromaniac27

Ready to lose your head?
Don't get me wrong, I agree with you.

Without trait it's still a guaranteed 50/50 on his wake-up though. If he does have trait available then yeah, he can just activate it and block high which sucks. I've seen people advocate the cross-up f3/b2 mix-up but I think it's pretty gimmicky since you can react to f3 pretty easily since it's 30 frames.
Yeah its gimmicky but still dumb because it seems like d2 is still always an option for him. All in all its just aggravating that because DC failed to make him more interesting than meets the eye(it really wouldn't have been hard), they had to design him I'm such a brain dead way(not discrediting the mains necessarily, but c'mon.... massive range and chip, damage, dumb af trait, all in the click of a few inputs)

Last edited:

Akromaniac27

Ready to lose your head?

Yeah. Literally the only thing that stops her altogether in that MU is that she can't zone. He negates just about everything else that she does and that part that she's missing hurts her the most. No safe way of getting in chip or getting in in general. IADG isn't even that helpful cuz of his speed and range and low starters that she can't parry just make it a gamble

Filipino Man

Retirement my ass
Yeah. Literally the only thing that stops her altogether in that MU is that she can't zone. He negates just about everything else that she does and that part that she's missing hurts her the most. No safe way of getting in chip or getting in in general. IADG isn't even that helpful cuz of his speed and range and low starters that she can't parry just make it a gamble
And his wakeups aren't even an issue for him because he has a toolkit that's ridiculous and makes him not a fighting game character tbh.

Bracelets work funky. Honestly it would've been better if they used it like a water shield sort of move.

Akromaniac27

Ready to lose your head?
And his wakeups aren't even an issue for him because he has a toolkit that's ridiculous and makes him not a fighting game character tbh.

Bracelets work funky. Honestly it would've been better if they used it like a water shield sort of move.
I wanted bracelets to work like Fox's reflector move from SSB. Can be held, air cancelable, and should've been allowed an additional input to block low moves. Some may say its too much, but tbh its what the character can do anyways and she is KNOWN for the bracelets too. Why can SM get to use his mainstream lasers and icebreath with ease and the likes of AM have an improbable move like From The Derp that makes no sense at all character wise but WW doesn't even get her iconic move? All the characters but MMH, AM, SM, Zod and even BG excel in a specific area, be it zoning, rushdown, whiff punishing, command grabbing, etc. whereas those others excel in practically every single one but the command grabbing

gpmoney

CORN | gpmoney. Saltier than a bag of chips.
Sup WoWo community. Im picking up WW and wana know how dose the GL MU work? does and donts, how she deals with his b13 ext.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Sup WoWo community. Im picking up WW and wana know how dose the GL MU work? does and donts, how she deals with his b13 ext.
Parry. That is all.

Nah seriously, Wonder Woman can parry most if not all of GLs zoning (rocket power, oas rocket but not minigun) and she can parry the 3 in b13 and get a full combo. Lanterns might is of course punishable for a full combo too and watch out for the f2d1 combo as the second hit is overhead. Keep in mind also that wakeup Lasso Spin is a good tool but dont abuse it. If I've missed anything im sure the rest of the thread can fill in the gaps :)

gpmoney

CORN | gpmoney. Saltier than a bag of chips.
Parry. That is all.

Nah seriously, Wonder Woman can parry most if not all of GLs zoning (rocket power, oas rocket but not minigun) and she can parry the 3 in b13 and get a full combo. Lanterns might is of course punishable for a full combo too and watch out for the f2d1 combo as the second hit is overhead. Keep in mind also that wakeup Lasso Spin is a good tool but dont abuse it. If I've missed anything im sure the rest of the thread can fill in the gaps :)
You had me at 'she can parry the 3 in b13 and get a full combo' <3 lol WW still feels weird to me. Im not used to her jump arc and IA dashes

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
You had me at 'she can parry the 3 in b13 and get a full combo' <3 lol WW still feels weird to me. Im not used to her jump arc and IA dashes
Aw QT

IA dashes are important for crossup setups and movement so make sure you practice them, her jump arc is a bit weird but you'll get used to it :)

Drizzle

Jump and shoot.
As long as you walk forward and react to GL's projectiles they shouldn't give you too much trouble. Duck/parry vs ground rockets, punish high air rockets with demigoddess and parry rocket power. If WoWo blocks b13~minigun, she can check with b1 unless he backdashes or jumps; those get beat by b2. She can SS parry b12, b13, b1~minigun and b1~rocket depending on the spacing. SS parry also punishes b1 on block and if he does b1~lift, you'll block in time to punish. In LS if she backdashes b13, she can punish with 23. WoWo can also safe jump GL by ending combos with j3, sweep then dashing forward and doing nj3. Wake-up lift whiffs, both of his dashes get caught, and the j3 has enough advantage that 33 can't be interrupted. Once that's respected, you can start going for the 50/50 with 33/b2 off of the j3. If you have a big life lead you can sit around in SS and let him hang himself. He can't chip you or jump, his primary footsie tool gets punished by parry and dashes can be checked with shield bash. You can pester him with well-spaced normal shield bashes too since he can't punish them when done correctly. IMO, this match can easily go to time-over.

derOeler

Death comes to all!
I think Aquaman is her absolute worst match up.[..]
I really doubt that.
A great Zod, MMH, Sinestro, GL or Lex is giving her more trouble than AM.

Given that he is pretty free on WU, outranges Diana just by a little bit (b2 & b1 are both pretty good punisher for most things he might attempt) and loses the meter AND cornergame, I really doubt that it is worse than maybe 5.5/4.5 his favour.

I know your a way better WoWoplayer than me and i dont have the high level AM experience you might have, but your opinion seems to depend too much on the altered matchplan one has to execute vs AM (like you said: more of a defensive deliberate WoWo, instead of rushing with airdashes and fast but easily punishable attempts).

I may be wrong, but how do you feel about the MMH mu?
IMO he is not half as free as AM on WU, has all the tools in the world to keep her out or get in and is a hard 6:4 on any stage against her.

How is AM worse?

Filipino Man

Retirement my ass
I really doubt that.
A great Zod, MMH, Sinestro, GL or Lex is giving her more trouble than AM.

Given that he is pretty free on WU, outranges Diana just by a little bit (b2 & b1 are both pretty good punisher for most things he might attempt) and loses the meter AND cornergame, I really doubt that it is worse than maybe 5.5/4.5 his favour.

I know your a way better WoWoplayer than me and i dont have the high level AM experience you might have, but your opinion seems to depend too much on the altered matchplan one has to execute vs AM (like you said: more of a defensive deliberate WoWo, instead of rushing with airdashes and fast but easily punishable attempts).

I may be wrong, but how do you feel about the MMH mu?
IMO he is not half as free as AM on WU, has all the tools in the world to keep her out or get in and is a hard 6:4 on any stage against her.

How is AM worse?
I doubt I'm a better WoWo than you first of all, I'm just starting and learning myself lol.

And it's just that when I play people like Theo, Aquaman just ruins WoWo's gameplan at all ranges except if wonderwoman gets her knockdown which isn't an easy thing to do in the first place.

Aquaman at neutral is scary because as Diana you're trying to score a hit to start your vortex. Aquaman not only has better normals than WoWo but his trait allows him to make more mistakes than Wonder Woman does which by design gives Aquaman the advantage on the ground.

Aquaman does NOT have to respect your + frames at all. He can just d1 after your 33 or b1 because if you don't go for the frame trap, he wins and gets a trident rush, but if you go for the frame trap, he will just trait out and you don't even get a combo, you get a 4% d12.

Also his trait makes it so that you lose your 50/50. 33 and b2 both won't work anymore because he can just block high and both lose.

His d2 makes you lose any hope of air control.

But yeah like any other character he loses in the corner against WoWo. Gotta get him there first!

I'm a weirdo and I think WoWo does really well against Martian but that's just me.

KDZ

It's amore, BABY.
Other than you d3 beating a couple of MMH wakeup options, youre gonna have to elaborate on the MMH matchip, because that is a losing matchup on paper.

Also, she beats Aquaman.

KDZ

It's amore, BABY.
But she doesnt. As a primarily rushdown character, the fact that he has a meterless move which forces you to stop your rushdown at any time puts a huge burden on you.

It stops being about footsies and spacing at that point, and turns into "how can I hit him before he does move a".

Reactions: RIF

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
AM and MMH can both suck on my sword and lick my lasso. They are very annoying.

Nothing constructive to add, just voicing my annoyance with the King and Martian, to Hades with them both.

DarkPage

Noob
I mean lex is undoubtedly a bad match up right cause I feel pretty helpless against a good lex.
Mmh on the other hand is super annoying and I'll lose more often than not to a good one but it doesn't really feel all that bad as long your playing smart

derOeler

Death comes to all!
I mean lex is undoubtedly a bad match up right cause I feel pretty helpless against a good lex.
Mmh on the other hand is super annoying and I'll lose more often than not to a good one but it doesn't really feel all that bad as long your playing smart
Against Lex, as soon as you find yourself outside of b2/one dash in- range you want to hit trait (canceled into shield throw. Or bash for a punish.)
With reduced chip -work your way back in and dont get impatient, he relies on that.
But dont just stand there either (lol) waiting for his shit to come out.
Dont let him install all his zoning stuff.
If you use shield smartly he will not get anything going for the most part.

Close range:
Punish any big swings he takes with either nj1, d12Tiara or b1 into combo.
Have an eye on his trait to know when to aproach and when to sit back for a moment.

Against Martian its all about the other Players habits.
Does he like to MB b3 after blocked OH-tele, then dont b2 his backdash. Instead you can backdash yourself and Airdash rightback in for a fullcombopunish.
Learn to punish his lowgrab. Dont let him try that shit for free.

Martian, in my eyes, is a problem - not only for Diana. He is prepatch Superman but worse. The only difference is that hes not THAT EASY to excel with..

derOeler

Death comes to all!
snip - burden
I agree.

I never said she beats him. I think it's a 5-5 and not a losing match tho. She does well playing the basic WoWo game is basically it.
People thought that about KL vs Cyrax/Kabal MU for a loooong time until they realized how powerful and broken their stuff really is.:p
Maybe the martian is no kabal, but hes close imo.

imo AM and MMH are both tough, but those are both mus I have limited exp in
What makes it a 6:4 mmh and a potential 5:5 vs AM imo is the fact, that you can utilize SS vs AM, whereas vs mmh it is death - except for the times you got a really big lifelead and would have won anyway.
But man oh man, you really dont wanna get knockdowned in SS...

I would love to read or hear you three topplayers go into an in depth analysis of Dianas MUs.
Let F0xy join in and the WoWo-forums couldnt ask for more.