What's new

Why do you prefer MKX to Injustice?

WATCHD0G

Noob
I love it cus i can actually block those FUCKING interactables.....and every character uses them in the same way. AND IT'S FUCKING MORTAL KOMBAT.

Afk Skinny

3D Krusader
Unlike other people, I actually liked the size of the stages in Injustice. In MK X some of them feel compressed. I feel about equal on variations and traits. Some variations seem like afterthoughts, I feel like 2 would've been perfect. I love Injustice because KF felt like a mix between my 2 fave MK characters, but screw them for not putting in Dr. Fate. In the long run, I enjoy MK X more though, but right now, MK9 is still on the top for me

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
A lot of people are going to disagree with me, but I find comic book characters to be completely cheesy and lame. Not having cross ups is a biggie, plus I can block interactables for a change.

Injustice just feels like a game designed to appeal to children, where MK accommodates a slightly more adult crowd (in theory).

- none of that 'back to block' bullshit
- interactables that don't give a free 15-20% and can be blocked
- no awkward end of match getting up just to get back down animation
- no Batman
- no ambiguous cross-ups (as far as I know of)

WayoftheFist

Cold day in hell...
I could write an essay about this topic and I'll try not to bash igau too hard... however, let me get this out of the way, I absolutely hated that game.

1. Movement. I felt like I was moving in sand for 2 years with that game. Some characters literally could not cross the footsie range of say gl or aquaman without dashing in.

2. Igau interactables were bullshit. From some characters having infinites off of some of them to the annoyance of eating a full combo into an inescapable otg interactable I was sick of them almost immediately and it only got worse.

3. Batgirl. Fuck this character. People bitch about mkx 50 50s but you don't hit a 1 bar 70 percent combo off any mkx 50 50.

4. Aquaman. Fuck this character too. You blocked? Well eat around 15 percent in damage anyway for a bar he almost builds back and if he spaces it right it's safe if not oh well "just press 4 and enjoy yourself." Are you one of those characters that needs to zone? Fuck that get ftd'd. Do you need to play footsies? Fuck that his are better. Did you manage to get a solid hit in on him? Hope it was a 1 or 2 hit launcher. I could go on but that's enough.

4. Ambiguous crossups. Some of which were + into another mixup. I'll take turnaround jump punches into slight plus frames any day.

5. The round system. Losing a round is just losing a round in mkx. I prefer the best of 3 rounds so much more than 2 life bars.

6. Poke based footsies and the neutral game. Yes mkx has a strong setplay aspect but it also has a poke based footsie aspect you have to win before that goes down. I also like that pokes don't link into launching specials.

7. Here's the majorly subjective one. Characters. I love the variation system. You get to keep the core of your character intact and change aspects of them to suit what you need. It's very well done.

mercureXI

Punching bag that throws fans !
MK after so many iterations is barely better than Injustice.

Injustice 2 with blockable interactables and a few tweaks to balance the roster, is gonna shit all over MKX imo.

Just get rid of those terrible 50/50 40% restand combos in MKX, and now we're talking. Along with "anywhere on the planet" corner carry.

Fucking love Brutalities though. Never ever get rid of these ! :)

I didn't play Injustice or video games in general around that time really, so my opinion doesn't mean shit, but I don't think I'd ever be drawn to injustice as much as I am with MK.

I grew up playing MK and MK9 made me fall in love with the series all over again so I'm very biased towards it. Although I will say Injustice probably does have a better roster than MKX. I'm not really feeling the next generation approach MKX took, especially when it came at the expense some of my favorite characters, but other than that I think the game is great.

I just hope this thread doesn't become an Injustice crowd vs MK crowd because that would be pretty stupid tbh.

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
Clash is definitely not a deep interesting mechanic and if it's in injustice 2 the way it was in injustice I'll already be turned off, and character traits are cool but not in respect to differences in interactables because all it is likely to create unless handled well(and we're talking NRS handling it) are balance issues and stage advantages which is something I can live without. Not going to nitpick but it annoys me people are drawn to gimmick mechanics like interactables. MKX is better in the respect that they toned it down to what they should be, cute things for casuals and not overbearing huge hitbox unblockable 20% projectile for certain sets of characters. Otherwise up the movement speed and I'm mostly okay.

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
Personally, I love the interactibles in Injustice, but Injustice is the fighting game where I learned to play fighting games. I honestly feel like people who played MK for 10 years just couldn't get used to them. Yes, some are unblockable, but that should be taken into account when playing and if you can manipulate things to use them instead if your opponent, you have an advantage.
There where interactibles in MK before injustice. Just they weren't overpowered and favor certain characters more like Injustice.

Shark Tank

Why do you not consider clash to be a deep interesting mechanic? It adds a potential additional cost to using your meter, and can turn the entire match around.

Personally, I love the interactibles in Injustice, but Injustice is the fighting game where I learned to play fighting games. I honestly feel like people who played MK for 10 years just couldn't get used to them. Yes, some are unblockable, but that should be taken into account when playing and if you can manipulate things to use them instead if your opponent, you have an advantage.

They are very powerfull, and I think it adds a very interesting element of strategy to the game.
I think intractables make a game more linear that make it deeper especially if they're overbearing. This isn't me hating them as a MK player for 10 years, it me hating them as a fg player primarily not mk for 10 years(I think all old mk games and the 3d ones are generally mdeiocre to shit at a high level, so I'm not bashing this off of going in a direction not mk). They're better ways to create character differences. My two cents.

Clash is very prolonged breaker that since it's tied to the same meter you use for specials it already creates imbalances for characters who don't rely on meter as much as other characters. First and foremost it violates my number one rule in that it breaks the flow of the game severely. You essentially have to sit through to cheesey superhero zinger lines for like 10 seconds and then the situation gets completely reset. The number on thing fgc players tend to hate are long cinematic cutscenes that break the flow of the match and slow it down, and clashes due that to the extreme. I can't think of many things in fgs today that do that as much as clashes except certain ultras in sf4 which are also hated. Ideally I'd want a burst system like animu games but breaker in MK I can live with since the exchange isn't that long.

QUAN-FUSION

Crotch-puncher

Oh, wow, I did not know that. I played MK9, but only the story and didn't really like it so stuck with Injustice. I guess I completely forgot about there being any interactibles in that game.

I just assumed it was a not being used to it kind of thing, because I've seen so many players (some I knew were SF players) who were clearly more skilled than me, but never, ever used an itneractible when it would have made the most sense to do so, and never seemed to be able to dodge a projectile, when it was clearly obvious that is what I was about to do.

Could you elaborate on why you think some favor certain characters? I know that many people think power users have an advantage over gadget and acrobatic users, but I don't really see it that way. Being able to throw a statue at me isn't better than being able to set a bomb on it and do damage, just different.​
Power Chars def have the advantage..
Throwing tracks.
Placing a bomb does not.

And there were no interactables in mk9.

QUAN-FUSION

Crotch-puncher
That's a great answer and I have a better understanding of why people dislike those aspects of the game now, thank you.

I don't understand how some characters would rely on meter more than others though....every character has the same opportunity to meter burn their moves, so how can some rely on meter more than others?

I still need to learn more about combo breakers, but can they redistribute health? That was one of the most appealing aspects of the clash system for me.
Some chats rely on metre to get big damage, or pressure others do not.
Ie. Wonder Woman. She doesn't need metre so she can hold it for clashes.
But metre is vital for doomsday to get momentum.

Shark Tank

That's a great answer and I have a better understanding of why people dislike those aspects of the game now, thank you.

I don't understand how some characters would rely on meter more than others though....every character has the same opportunity to meter burn their moves, so how can some rely on meter more than others?

I still need to learn more about combo breakers, but can they redistribute health? That was one of the most appealing aspects of the clash system for me.

Some characters don't need meter as much as other characters, depends on the game but sometimes the amount a character relies on meter is extreme to have a hope of winning(quan chi mk9). If you're going to have universal options they should be their own meter or simply a one off thing. If you have a character who didn't need ex moves to be good you'd end up in a situation where clashes would favorite that character most of the time because they can stockpile their meter.

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword

Oh, wow, I did not know that. I played MK9, but only the story and didn't really like it so stuck with Injustice. I guess I completely forgot about there being any interactibles in that game.

I just assumed it was a not being used to it kind of thing, because I've seen so many players (some I knew were SF players) who were clearly more skilled than me, but never, ever used an itneractible when it would have made the most sense to do so, and never seemed to be able to dodge a projectile, when it was clearly obvious that is what I was about to do.

Could you elaborate on why you think some favor certain characters? I know that many people think power users have an advantage over gadget and acrobatic users, but I don't really see it that way. Being able to throw a statue at me isn't better than being able to set a bomb on it and do damage, just different.​
MK4 had the interactables. And there was stage transitions in MK3/UMK3 along with the 3D MK games. Really injustice borrowed all of those feature from MK but on steroids.

-narshkajke-

klone enthusiast
mkx got bigger character models, this is the thing that bugs me about injustice, the camera placement is really far, so we can't really see the details in the character's model.

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
MKX is Injustice with faster mobility, better graphics and more safe 50/50s. A lot of people don't want to admit that because it's MKX, the game they've been waiting for for years. LBSH, variations are essentially a character having 3 chances at being good. Most characters have 1 main, another that's MU-specific, and then one awful variation. Maybe this'll change after balance patches but it's gonna be tough for them to balance so many characters.

IMO, Injustice was a great game that was a step in the right direction for NRS. It accompanied many different fighting styles, it was definitely a step in the right direction in terms of balancing (minus a few hiccups), and there was a good balance between offense and defense. If the stages were shorter and walkspeeds were faster it'd be even better but hopefully NRS will incorporate that if they ever make a sequel (which I imagine they will).

The offense in IGAU was crazy due to B2B, but it was balanced by invincible wakeups and good backdashes. In MKX, the setplay is obviously not as wild as IGAU due to the block button, but it's far more intimidating due to shitty defensive options so it's a lot more polarised towards the rushdown side. Zoning is nowhere near as effective as IGAU/MK9 due to the run button which makes matches more linear and boring imo.

I don't like the direction they've taken in terms of pressure. I thought that a Block Button was supposed to take away any crossup shenanigans and add heavy chip damage in it's place - like MK9. Instead they've toned down the chip damage meaning that the only effective way of getting significant damage is with a 50/50 mixup, which, by now, I think we've all noticed are extremely prevalent.

Don't get me wrong, I really like MKX - it's a fun game. The competitive side of it is booming all over the world, which is fucking amazing. But I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little disappointed in the game itself.

Last edited:

Sulfur

Winning feels better when you take a little damage
I like it better because injustice felt way more clunky and heavy as well as the camera was pulled WAY too far back.

Shaazzyam

undefeated online evo champion
A lot of people are going to disagree with me, but I find comic book characters to be completely cheesy and lame. Not having cross ups is a biggie, plus I can block interactables for a change.

Injustice just feels like a game designed to appeal to children, where MK accommodates a slightly more adult crowd (in theory).
ah, yes. the deep and rich history of mk:

bro do you know what franchise this is, it's only selling point is nostalgia and cheese. the game is fun on compertitive level, but call a spade a spade. don't even get me started on story mode for this game.

PROKTOR

Noob
Because It's much more than just supermoves and traits, but still I do love that game...of course the creative gore, quickness, history and tons more content and secrets still being discovered.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
1. Its Mortal Kombat

2. The gameplay feels smoother and superior in just about every way, IMO.

3. Its Mortal Kombat.

kevkopdx

Noob
i prefer injustice.. it had plenty of problems but the combo system felt way more dynamic... some mkx character movesets feel pared down to make room for variations...
the variation system just seems all over the place.
plus i miss proper zoning- not a deal breaker, but i do miss zatanna :(