What's new

Why do you prefer MKX to Injustice?

The only thing I liked about injustice was the superheroes! I hated the input timing on wake up, cross ups and bat girl Aqua man black Adam fuckn mmh safe shit...

Shaazzyam

undefeated online evo champion
Oh so that's why superman just arrived in some city on Earth and destroyed the shit outta it in an attempt to just get rid of a few bad guys in that recent superman movie. :DOGE
superman and zod destroyed maybe 6 buildings, could've been way worse for an untrained supes

the movie wasn't that bad

MK Led

Umbasa
superman and zod destroyed maybe 6 buildings, could've been way worse

the movie wasn't that bad
As I said, I haven't seen the movie and have no opinion on it really. It wasn't a jab at the movie, just a joke at America's expense. :p haha.

(which I've realised might not go down so well on a forum with a mostly American userbase, but oh well :rolleyes:)

Last edited:

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
What's with the people bursting in here screaming, "THE BLOCK BUTTON!!!"?

I've been playing and loving MK for years, but it NEVER felt as natural as back to block.
I actually have no problem with switching from a block button or back to block. Probably all the years playing MK, KI, and SF back in the 90's. To me is similar to driving an auto to then driving a stick. Both are natural.

Protectobot

More Displacer Raiden, please! ;P
I think for now, I'm more interested in MKX just cos I haven't played MK games for forever so this one seems refreshing to me, and the characters are starting to appeal to me. I like the idea of being able to play as 'god' characters like Raiden, but I love being able to play as superhumans like Raven or MMH (I love MMH but I know ppl hated him in Injustice so I didn't want to feel cheap and use him a lot lol, but when it comes to top tiers, that's a whole other conversation!).

I definitely feel like I want to get attached to characters in order to like them. I'm not saying I'd play a crappy game just cos it had DC characters in it lol, but a game could have really good play mechanics, yet I won't necessarily care about giving it a try. Hopefully this analogy works, but some movies might be considered good despite having no characters to care about, such as that movie 'No Country for Old Men', which I think won the Oscar for best movie of the year at the time, but I heard all the characters were pricks, so I didn't care about them surviving throughout the whole movie, and never saw it lols.

Maybe I'm just closed-minded but even for fighting games, I like a wee bit of character background to make me them seem interesting and make me care about the characters. I guess that's why I like the idea of comics (I don't really read them but I like the idea of games based on comic characters). I'm not saying I have to be able to relate to them, but it's easier to get my attention with a game based on Bats or Supes than a game with generic-looking ninjas in differently-colored costumes, though I know MK characters look a lot different now, since the days of the first few MK games lol.

I guess I'm a kid at heart, but I often like to imagine that I'm playing a role in a comic or movie, etc. while playing even a fighting game. The more I read about the fantasy world of MKX and its predecessors, however, the more it seems like a comic and the more I want to play it: cheesy or not. I guess I want escapism lol.

I'm not sure which game I prefer in terms of mechanics, though. I liked a lot of the features of IJ such as interactables to an extent, the clash system for variety's sake and less predictable match outcomes, and traits, and ALL the super powers :D, and I overall do prefer back to block over a button so I can move back and forth while blocking (though the block button helps against ambiguous cross-ups, which maybe should bother me more than it did), and I wish combo breakers in MKX used less bar, but maybe I'll change my mind about that, but I LOVE the variation system for MKX. I just hope the game doesn't come to counter-picking all the time, which might be a prob in most fighters (I mostly played SF3 years back, and that game was simply about the top tiers dominating instead of counter-picking, so pick your poison and good luck finding a balanced game...).

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
There is an important detail that people are forgetting when they're talking about Injustice's movement.

It's true that walk speeds could have been better. It's true that dashes were longer.

However, The Injustice system rewarded good spacing. I would argue that besides stuffing wake up attacks, spacing was the number one skill in Injustice.

Because if you dashed in recklessly, you were punished for it. If your opponent was sitting at that magic distance at the max range of your dash and you moved in carelessly, he could blow you up.

Compare this to MK X, where half of the cast can run up to you for free, as you can cancel your run at anytime with block, an advancing string with priority(which about half the cast has), or advancing armor.

It is infinitely easier and involves less risk to get in with this game than Injustice. That's a fact.

As much as people belly ached about vortexes in Injustice, there were very few true safe, looping 50/50s. That little gem of misinformation has been spreading like a plague. Most of the vortexes in the game required the corner, meter, or were unsafe. Now a lot of the 50/50s didn't share all of these qualities. Some were unsafe but could only be done in the corner, some were safe but required meter, and others only occurred once and did not loop.

Superman and WoWo, had corner resets but if you guessed right you were rewarded with a combo. Others like Killer Frost were safe but required meter to loop.

I find anti airing to be easier and more rewarding in Injustice. In MK X, a lot of characters do not have good anti air options and anti cross up defense. Their best option is to walk back and try to trip guard or to perform an on reaction NJP. Otherwise, characters can jump all over these particular cast members.

The setplay is stronger in MK X than Injustice and while i will fully admit that a poking/counterpoking game exists, i feel like the game's footsie play isn't focused as tightly on that meta as say, MK9.

Yesterday in Louisiana we had a local called The Monthly Godlike. We had about 27 people for it. I was fortunate to commentate some very good matches with players like 3PiecesofBread, GOL Eklectic, Gametime, GOL Guyingreen among others.

This is what i saw: Characters would dance in the nuetral. Eventually, someone would run in and initiate offense. Whoever won the footsie game/nuetral game carried their opponent to the corner from midscreen. After which, they would apply 50/50s and mix ups until the opponent eithet spent meter to wake up or guessed right.

Roughly 90% of the matches ended in the corner and most of the matches were spent fighting in or around the corner.

Injustice was a momentum based game. MK X is as well, but to 1,000. I really like MK X. It is fun, but i liked Injustice better. Defensive and zoning play are nearly non existant in MK X.

These are just my thoughts on it.

I only say that because MK lacks things like distinct character traits, a large character roster, the clash system etc. It is those things that make Injustice a deeper, more complex game to me.
To a large extent MKX does have the trait system; a lot of variations function very similarly to how Injustice traits do. And even if you completely ignore variations, the cast in MKX really isn't that much smaller than Injustice...

At any rate, whilst I definitely liked Injustice a lot, I'd say I prefer MKX for the moment. Granted, this is primarily because Mortal Kombat is a series with a long-standing history, and which has had the chance to get over its teething issues and balance things out. Injustice hasn't had that chance yet, so of course it's going to be a lot less refined. Injustice has too many defensive options that, when combined together, are just a little bit too strong. Long backdashes with invincibility that are difficult for many characters to punish? Arenas twice the size of those in MK? One-bar pushblock? None of those things in and of themselves are bad - but combined? It makes the whole thing a little over-defensive.

Oh, and another reason MKX is better? Its chip damage system actually makes sense. 0.5-2% for each normal, and 1-3% for most specials? That's a great balance, IMO - the chip damage certainly isn't a level that could be considered low, but it avoids being too overbearing (*glares at Mortal Kombat 9*).

Compare that to Injustice, where an entire string on block is lucky to do 0.5% damage, yet every hit of a special move apparently has to do at least 1% block damage, making moves like Trident Rush utterly absurd in comparison to the chip you get from normal strings. They should really go for a more Street Fighter-esque chip damage system where a blocked special move does a straight 25% of the damage it would have dealt on hit.

All that said though, Injustice's throw tech system makes orders of magnitude more sense than MKX's.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Brah, remember this?
Ill take raidens chip and 50/50s any day

And I'm talking only about aquaman on the chip and meter build. Shit was ridiculous and everyone hated it.

I enjoyed injustice more. No block button that kills crossovers
4 (1). Hellfire scorpion anyone? Raiden? Complaining about injustice chip damage and meter build seems rather short sighted considering MK X chip damage and meter build.

Honestly, this thread is jumping the gun on too many things.

(and yes, I did find a picture of a glowing hat instead of a buzzsaw-rimmed one on purpose)

Last edited:

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
A lot of people hate MK X's throw system.

My question is: Didn't MK9 employ the same system? Why didn't more people voice complaint with that?

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
A lot of people hate MK X's throw system.

My question is: Didn't MK9 employ the same system? Why didn't more people voice complaint with that?
I did, I'm sure a lot of other people did too. The difference is, throws for the most part, were not a very rewarding option in MK9, (and it's a good thing that they are in MKX IMO.)

Espio

Kokomo
I don't prefer either game, really. Hawkgirl, Martian Manhunter, Raven and Doomsday made Injustice fun for me. Goro, Johnny Cage (and hopefully Tanya) will/do make MKX fun for me. All these games have their share of flaws and qualities I really like.

If NRS could strike a middle ground between defensive options in Injustice and offensive options in Mortal Kombat X, they would be golden.

Everyone saying they preferred Injustice over MKX should not have abandoned it merely because a new NRS game was coming out. This is the same story for MK9 and the same story for Injustice and will probably be the same story for MKX too down the line. After the game weakens immensely and a new game is out, everyone's nostalgic for the old games and forgets or doesn't mind the qualities that turned them off to the previous titles in the first place.

Decay

King of the Bill
I'll be honest: MKX is a more solid game. To me it feels more balanced, and spacing and anti-airs work for the most part. I do like some of the characters and NRS did a phenomenal job with the art/design as well as sound.
That being said, I feel like it's easy to lose to 50/50s no matter how patient and spacing-minded you are. It's extremely upsetting when you feel like you played better but the character you choose to use is not as well equipped with the guessing games as the other player. Either way it's a great game.

Do I like it more than Injustice? Ehhh.. I don't know. Believe it or not, I find Injustice matches to be more hype than MKX at least when I'm watching a tournament. And since Injustice has all kinds of set-up possibilities with interactables and crossups, I find that Injustice caters to the more creative minded people. Since MKX has a block button, there's very few gimmick set ups (which is good or bad depending on how you look it) and not much room for creativity in my opinion. There's something awesome about seeing a new overhead, crossup, or unclashablelike set up: the Arma special, Gross Green Lantern tech, Pig's Zod meterburn air zod ball/laser set ups, or something Deg would create with Zat for example. Hell, even a pretty honest character like Lobo I was able to be creative with. At higher level play, we ended up adapting to the shennanigans and looking out for these things.

So both games are fun as fuck and I still play both, and stream IGAU once a week #ThrowbackWheneverDay. No reason to abandon either one, especially if you want people to play with, def stick with MKX :coffee: