What's new

Who is the most defensive character in MKX?

I have the BEST defensive options in MKX

• Lao

Votes: 32 16.9%
  • Tanya

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Kano

Votes: 16 8.5%
  • Kotal

Votes: 18 9.5%
  • Cassie

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • Devorah

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Ermac

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Goro

• Erin Black

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Ferra Torr

• Cage

• Jax

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Jason

• Jacqui

• Kenshi

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • Kitana

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • Kung Jin

• Kang

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Mileena

• Predator

Votes: 10 5.3%
  • Quan

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • Raiden

• Reptile

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Scorpion

• Shinnok

Votes: 17 9.0%
  • Sonya

• Takeda

• Tremor

Votes: 17 9.0%

• Total voters
You tag makes me discredit the things you say off the bat. Also, the questions are the same...the poll question justifies the thread title
Well no actually. They're worded differently and the wording changes the meaning of the question. There's a difference between a specific move or normal being a great defensive option and a characters design being defensive. Sorry if my tag offends you though.

Flurry22

BFGC | Station
Quan Chi. All 3 variations. Quan in general has B2 a super long range normal for space control, Runes to keep opponents out, 6f D1 to poke out of pressure leading to 50/50, and jump back Skull all good for keeping opponents away. Onto variation specifics, Summoner easily the best zoning in the game. Keeps opponents out and is very difficult to get in on. Sorcerer, armour portal allows Quan to zone without fear of the opponent running up. Warlock gives Quan a legitimate armour move that leads to a full combo. Quan is undeniable best defense even "without an armour move."

xxFalcon Loverxx

Ignorant slaves, how quickly you forget.
Erin Black :DOGE
Actually you're trolling in both ways.You're correcting the spelling mistake and not only that you're also saying that erro....Erin Black has good defense options.....In gunslinger and marksman his defense options are shitty af.
I voted for Kotal.

Blood God, man. That Obsidian Totem = sex.
Ummmm uh....So we just recieved news that Eldriken is sexually attracted to to...totems that are made out of....*vomits*...Obsidian.....Eldriken totem rapist konfirmed

Last edited:

ryublaze

Noob
Grandmaster Sub should be up there.

- Ice clone that stops opponent from advancing forward
- Clone stops projectiles and EX Iceball/Slide are great counter-zoning tools
- EX Shatter is a godlike anti-air
- EX Shatter being a relatively safe armor move to get out of pressure
- EX Clone acting like a parry and is pretty safe
- Has one of the best backdashes in the game

edit: whoops didn't read the OP lol. Then I guess Tanya/Tremor

The Celebrity

Professional Googler
Why do people say Tanya? Honest question.

If she was pre-patch like back in CEO with invulnerable teleport then yes, defintely... But really the only thing she has defensive imo is EX Rekka, which suck ass when whiffed. Outside of that she has solid options I suppose. Good armor, decent NJP, decent S1 AA, decent D4, but none of that says "best defensive character in the game".

Also, people are talking about how everyone is jumping on the Lao train when he doesn't have good options (which in my opinion is wrong). For most characters, you can't jump on Lao, you can't run at Lao and you can't zone Lao. Remind me again how a character can stop those 3 methods of aggression without having solid options? EX Spin is unsafe, but people are bringing it up because of its insane anti-air properties... You can't block in the air. Not to mention his high priority divekick, a literal shield in orbiting hat that leads to full combo, teleport thats useful under pressure and more.. Must I go on? Something to note by the way, I already answered this question and said Kano, so I don't think Lao is the best defensive character in the game, but I do think its ridiculous to say Lao isn't an option for this.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
Wow, my internet's down so I missed this thread. I play a purely defensive game. It's my playstyle and it works for me, MKX or not I do better playing this way.

Here's my candidates for best defensive characters.

Blood God, has great space control with B1 and excellent footsies / poke game in general, great backdash, punishes with really high damage, and has multiple defensive set-ups. Quite simply possibly the best, most well rounded defensive character in the game.

Hellfire, possibly the character with the most comeback potential in the game, has a legit 6f poke unlike Quan, one combo + one correct read on the guessing game wins you the round, you can literally get 100% off doing only that with a few bars. His footsies are also super legit with 3 great pokes and D4 / Flame Aura, 14% throws with the Aura up, and a badass uppercut, and the ability to meterburn them + NjK for 9% restands with OTG exHellfire.

And of course, Quan, the character I decided to main. The other two variations have excellent defensive tools but no armor thus struggle to deal with pressure, Warlock has all those tools + some of the best armor (defensively) in the game at the cost of a bit of damage. B2 is one of the best space control tools in the entire game outside of Ninjutsu (which is similar but breaks armor), his backdash is top 3, he has a 6f poke for breaking pressure, hes just nice, more +frames on the D1 would be nice but meh can't have it all. You can use his dope projectile game and just zone/backdash all day while mixing pressure when its your turn, and then get big reversal damage of his armour if you end up cornering yourself as well as switching position.

Characters like Sub + Lao, nah son. They might have good defensive options, but they are offensive characters at the core and suffer for being played passive/reactively.

Instant air guns are whack imo. They don't make you respect anything.
Wait you think they aren't good? They are fast and they also recover pretty fast and like other iafb you don't really have the risk of people jumping over it either. You don't get a full combo if you hit the opponent airborne, but it's still not something you need to be careful of when you try to get in on her and her ground game is already really strong.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I'd have to place multiple characters.
Blood God Kotal and that obsidian totem are just too good. Especially if you can convert into the crystal totem in combos. Really capitalize off of the meter gain. That plus all his good pokes, MB disk is really good when used sparingly, multiple breaks and if you can somehow get the blood totem to work then healing along with sun ray.

Base Cassie Cage can be really good defensively. Great pokes and B1 covers everything she needs. Great anti airs with S1 and flip. Midscreen ex flip is safe. None of her variations "need" to spend meter. Now that I think about it Spec Ops might be great defensively if you can figure out how to use missiles in neutral. Plus ex Missile is almost guaranteed mixup.

I'd give an honorable mention to Displacer Raiden. Great AAs in f1, d2, and 4 armored moves. Ex teleport away means he just gets out of the corner. Great damage and will convert off of any punish into superman to the corner. Really only thing holding him back is he is free to low pokes.

Characters I just fight against.
Lui Kang, he seems great defensively. Great walk speed. DF has like, the guile of fireballs in MKx. Plus he always has meter because of blockstrings. FF has the parry plus a great fireball game and still good chip blockstrings.
Shinnok d4, hell sparks, amulet fireball, armored should and scoop all make his opponents play cautiously.

I think Jax could also do pretty good from a defensive standpoint. I just don't know if has a variation he could play staying away from you maybe. I guess either "Pumped Up" or "Heavy Weapons". He has decent buttons. On wakeup, he can either armor and stay relatively safe with dash punch or go for Gotcha grab and if you picked "Wrestler" then there is also the threat of command grab on wakeup. (Is ex wrestler grab armored?) Just seems like he has the tools to stay in the game when getting pressured or Oki'd .

I was going to mention Goro but you beat me to it. Goro's defensive game is amplified in Tigrar Fury. As you have the overwhelming Punchwalk of course (2 hits of armor on EX), waves of fire balls with good recovery, solid anti airs, a flame breath that's really plus, and of course F3 and multiple OTG set ups that are disgusting. All these tools force your opponent on the ground, and not to mention you have low fireballs to play with.

You can also swing to Kuatan Warrior if you want to control space. BF2 catches a lot of bad jumps, and it's a quick advancing punish. Ground pounds as we know give the full screen presence. These in combination with stomp, and Punchwalk brings a good defensive character to the table.

Even Dragons Fang can be considered a defensive monster, with the increased range of your pokes bringing back Doomsday memories from injustice. You get a better anti air, and more options due to dragon spin. Bonus to more juicy chip and damage punishing the opponents mistakes.

Goro in all 3 variations can be considered a great defensive character.
This and some other posts made me feel like picking up a Goro.

Instant air guns are whack imo. They don't make you respect anything.
Can you explain what you mean?

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
I think instant air guns suck because all instant air projectiles in this game suck, except kitanas, and even then if you're close enough to her you can full combo whiff punish her for it.

So for cassie to do 7% air guns (as a Lao player why not just trade a hat?) seems like a lot of execution for little to no real reward.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I think instant air guns suck because all instant air projectiles in this game suck, except kitanas, and even then if you're close enough to her you can full combo whiff punish her for it.

So for cassie to do 7% air guns (as a Lao player why not just trade a hat?) seems like a lot of execution for little to no real reward.
I thought the point of getting an instant air projectile was that your opponent HAD to to block. Is that incorrect? You can still dodge them with enough recovery to punish?

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
Tremor and Blood God are my votes.

Crystal Tremor has the risk of two armored launchers which makes you think twice about pressuring him or ignoring his wake ups. At the same time a proper armor up on a read means you're losing a third of your health into setup into it's Tremor's turn to press buttons.

Blood God because obsidon totem and ex sunray is sex against most characters. And that parry on a read means you might be eating up to 60% of your health bar depending on the situation. Kotal doesn't have armor like tremor but no less dangerous.