What's new

Who is the most defensive character in MKX?

I have the BEST defensive options in MKX

• Lao

Votes: 32 16.9%
  • Tanya

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Kano

Votes: 16 8.5%
  • Kotal

Votes: 18 9.5%
  • Cassie

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • Devorah

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Ermac

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Goro

• Erin Black

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Ferra Torr

• Cage

• Jax

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Jason

• Jacqui

• Kenshi

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • Kitana

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • Kung Jin

• Kang

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Mileena

• Predator

Votes: 10 5.3%
  • Quan

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • Raiden

• Reptile

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Scorpion

• Shinnok

Votes: 17 9.0%
  • Sonya

• Takeda

• Tremor

Votes: 17 9.0%

• Total voters

Israel

Noob
Well I don't agree with him being up there for "most defensive", but your first statements definitely sum up the thinking of everyone who voted for him.

Who is this Kung Lao who counterpoked D4 with spin? I'm assuming you mean EX spin? Either way, we're talking about a move that's extremely negative. You can counterpoke with basically any other armored launcher in the game, just like Lao's do with EX spin. Acting like it's some kind of special perk that Lao has, is nonsense.

This is almost as ridiculous as a status I read one time, that claimed that Lao cannot be pressured or damaged. Is there any point in making threads like these, if everyone is just gonna go after Kung Lao, regardless of the topic? The character is clearly not a top "defensive" character. There are many moves in the game that are much more unbalanced than spin, by itself, and most of those characters also have better pokes.

EX rekkas, multiple hits, can be staggered, is safe. Tanya also has a 7 frame poke, Lao does not.

EX punchwalk. multiple hits, multiple hits of armor, is safe. Goro has 6 frame pokes that aren't that minus, Lao does not.

EX shatter, plus on block armored launcher.

EX flipkick, a frame faster than spin, safe on block, Casse has 7 frame pokes, Lao does not.

Lets not forget that Cassie also has a jump back 2 that's almost as good as Lao's, and a 6 frame jump 1 to save her in close AA encounters, that Lao doesn't have. That, her pokes, flipkick being undeniably superior to spin, etc, makes her a better defensive character.

But again, Kung Lao is Kung Lao. If he gets nerfed to bottom tier, he'd still be the best on TYM.
I understand what you mean... but to say "The character is clearly not a top 'Defensive' character," ... i disagree. Hes all around good. Theres nothing hes not 'Good' in. He may not EXCELL in certain areas...but he is definitely GOOD in all areas. Meaning..hes obviously going to be an option in a thread like this. He may not be number one...but hes clearly TOP in the subject.

Oh, the KL player i played doesnt play any more. But i know what u mean...most times i jus punished his wiff spin for trying to beat out my d4. But i applaud him for thinking outside the box

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Serious question: Couldn't you throw her poke?

No, really. This has happened in my matches, and I remember there being a thread about this. If timed correctly, a throw can beat a poke.

Could you use that?
im curious about throws beating beating pokes too. is there a thread about it somewhere? Im just wondering how the properties work with poke vs throw because i do it all the time.
It seems like throws have priority over normals. You can grab the extended hurtbox of a limb and I don't think they even trade. Plenty of times I've stuck out a button that should hit but I get thrown instead. There is a thread about it somewhere.

I'm actually quite infamous for playing "that keepaway Jax." Pumped Up offers some unique zoning tools that work very well in conjunction with one another in Energy Wave, Ground Pound, and Air Ground Pound. Dash Punch works very well on people attempting to run in without blocking, while Downward Dash Punch catches people trying to duck my Dash Punch and Energy Wave.

I have mined a lot of salt out of people who feel that "you aren't supposed to play Jax that way."

It's not Quan Chi quality zoning, but when combined with Jax's other tools, it is nice to have.

And yes, he has a plethora of awesome wakeups, almost all of which are either safe or at the very low end of punishable.

That said, his defensive options pale in comparison to most of the other characters mentioned in this thread.
Thanks for the confirmation. I'm sure there a few defensive options better than Jax's but having safe wakeups is always great. It's just MKx goes beyond fighting game great and gets into ridiculous territory.

Wigy

There it is...
Well I don't agree with him being up there for "most defensive", but your first statements definitely sum up the thinking of everyone who voted for him.

Who is this Kung Lao who counterpoked D4 with spin? I'm assuming you mean EX spin? Either way, we're talking about a move that's extremely negative. You can counterpoke with basically any other armored launcher in the game, just like Lao's do with EX spin. Acting like it's some kind of special perk that Lao has, is nonsense.

This is almost as ridiculous as a status I read one time, that claimed that Lao cannot be pressured or damaged. Is there any point in making threads like these, if everyone is just gonna go after Kung Lao, regardless of the topic? The character is clearly not a top "defensive" character. There are many moves in the game that are much more unbalanced than spin, by itself, and most of those characters also have better pokes.

EX rekkas, multiple hits, can be staggered, is safe. Tanya also has a 7 frame poke, Lao does not.

EX punchwalk. multiple hits, multiple hits of armor, is safe. Goro has 6 frame pokes that aren't that minus, Lao does not.

EX shatter, plus on block armored launcher.

EX flipkick, a frame faster than spin, safe on block, Casse has 7 frame pokes, Lao does not.

Lets not forget that Cassie also has a jump back 2 that's almost as good as Lao's, and a 6 frame jump 1 to save her in close AA encounters, that Lao doesn't have. That, her pokes, flipkick being undeniably superior to spin, etc, makes her a better defensive character.

But again, Kung Lao is Kung Lao. If he gets nerfed to bottom tier, he'd still be the best on TYM.
Hahahahahhahah no

Also although he doesnt have a lot of good armor takeda is good at running away I used to think takeda sucked when I played liu but after I switched to goro i realized boy can he run

Undeadjim

Green Lantern Corps.
Suprised there are only 3 Jax votes. Pumped up has a 7 frame 22% AA or reversal. 6 frame S1 and 7 frame D1. Good uppercut, and really consistent anti crossup in stand 1 and great space control with pokes/mids and his dumb J1.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
Im surprised no one mentioned cassie's Ex nutpuch is invincible. That should also gain her a few points, or is that not as relevant?

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
As of Dec 26 this is the top 5 defensive characters more or less

Lao - 28
Kotal - 17
Shinnok - 17
Tremor - 17
Kano - 14

Cassie kang reptile goro and Tanya votes surprise me.

Continue

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
As of Dec 26 this is the top 5 defensive characters more or less

Lao - 28
Kotal - 17
Shinnok - 17
Tremor - 17
Kano - 14

Cassie kang reptile goro and Tanya votes surprise me.

Continue
Lao being top surprises me cause even though he has great normals his defensive aren't as safe as say cassie who also has great normals. I really don't see why you'd vote for him and not cassie.

Kotal is pretty defensive but I wouldn't vote him the best unless he came out on top compared to the other characters being called "defensive". Even though he has great defensive tools I feel without an armor move besides xray he's also designed to get hit a lot in MKx's offense heavy game.

Shinnok and Kano makes sense great reversals that make you think twice. Get hit by one of those and your back to square one. Especially with Kano's safe upball.

Tremor actually surprises me, cause he is another character with subpar armor.

Reptile and Tanya are surprising to. Thought tanya keep away was dead and I guess you could stay away with reptile but I feel like you miss out on too much potential.

Im surprised no one mentioned cassie's Ex nutpuch is invincible. That should also gain her a few points, or is that not as relevant?
I play cassie, though not hollywood and I always forget this. Man I should get on with learning that variation.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
Lao being top surprises me cause even though he has great normals his defensive aren't as safe as say cassie who also has great normals. I really don't see why you'd vote for him and not cassie.
He has the best armor in the game for stopping bullshit Jump Ins and random Teleports/Run in 50/50ss and it also converts for a shitton of damage. I can see why the scrubs on this site voted for him tbqh