What's new

General/Other - Liu Kang What's Liu Kang missing to be top tier?

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
FAAAART

How is giving them a gap better than not giving anything?

Yeah I get that's why FF is good but there is no way in frost bitten hell your convincing anyone it's better than DF. By your logic Dualist is OP.
Then you don't understand my logic because dualist doesn't have pressure like either of the two don't focus on one part of my statement, try to find the main idea like In grade school! FF is far scarier to deal with.
lol. flame fist has a gap on ex wp. u can interrupt for free. only 5 characters in the game can't punish ex wp.
Are you going to risk armoring through ex wp knowing I can Cancel into parry though? And its not free you need armor and the gap is like 1-2 frames so unless you have an armored low Goodluck

C88 Zombieekiler

Up and coming sub zero
The F213 dash cancel block infinite only workd in the corner against characters without a poke under 8 frames and no meter, I don't think there's a single Liu Kang player who would cry about it being gone considering that it is pretty stupid.

Stuff that people aren't really using include the 113, 112 FBRC, and 11 FBRC F44 guessing game; the F44 FBRC loops; and playing footsies with him in general. Once people start learning his other tools as well then he's gonna be a very strong character.
xarakamaka does most of this

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Then you don't understand my logic because dualist doesn't have pressure like either of the two don't focus on one part of my statement, try to find the main idea like In grade school! FF is far scarier to deal with.

Are you going to risk armoring through ex wp knowing I can Cancel into parry though? And its not free you need armor and the gap is like 1-2 frames so unless you have an armored low Goodluck
Giving them a hole is far greater than giving them none? I don't get it. Your still giving them a chance to get out. FF is just 1000 times easier to use and that's why he may be more effective this early on

Hes very very close to being top tier status.

This shouldn't be a factor, but he takes a lot of work to play.

He doesn't have easy 50/50 vortex options. To make up for that he has really good block pressure but its not as safe as kung laos or tanyas nor is it as easy to do.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Giving them a hole is far greater than giving them none? I don't get it. Your still giving them a chance to get out. FF is just 1000 times easier to use and that's why he may be more effective this early on
A fair warning to you, actually everyone.

Do not argue with Zyphox, your brain will turn to cheese.

Also I think Dualist might be as good as flame fist(probably not but he has a decent chance), the Dualist players are really putting life into this character that most people(including me) thought was dead from the start. Or I could just be potato and be up-playing like an idiot.

Last edited:

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Dragons fire fly kicks safe and can be MB'ed for +2 and to get in immediately , he has what are practically block infinites against any1 without a 7f move, his D3 goes under pretty much everything in this game, converts stamina to meter and vice versa.

He's the most fucked up character in the game IMO.

His d3 is +2 cause you have to block it crouching, so hold that extra frame and his B1 becomes a 7f mid, which he can then cancel back into ex bike kick and put himself back at +2 again.
+2 for Liu Kang isn't as good as it is for the top tiers in this game because he doesn't have fast pokes... 7 frame D1's kan low profile the start up of B1 and F2 a lot of times so it doesn't necessarily win the trade. Also 6 frame pokes do exist in this game.

His D3 ducking under stuff isn't abnormal for a poke and it isn't that fast. Also, you kan duck bicycle kick..

Liu Kang is really good but I think you're up-playing him because you use the other Shaolin. I mean, what really makes him more "fucked up" than Lao?

PS: I thought he was cheap too at first but kompared to other characters in this game he isn't that fucked up.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Sonic Fox was saying Batgirl is the best character in Injustice shortly before his one year win streak. Meanwhile, everyone else was complaining about Martian and Aquaman. Unpopular opinions don't automatically make them untrue.
Martian is still better..

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
can someone tell me what the "IAFB" is? cuz i am not a liu kang player at all. it would help my reading alot...thanks

is whats worse is i probably do it...lol

is it in here?

can someone tell me what the "IAFB" is? cuz i am not a liu kang player at all. it would help my reading alot...thanks
An "IAFB" (also spelled "iafb" and "iaFB") is an instant-air fireball. It is to perform KangaLiu's aerial fireball as soon as he leaves the ground, which allows Liu to recover faster than a grounded high fireball. That trick generally applies to all characters.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!

He's not talking about the gap between EX WP into another special, EX WP itself is straight up interruptible on block by most characters before the last hit. In training mode, do EX WP on block on Cassie with her set to do reversal flipkick and you'll see what I mean.

A fair warning to you, actually everyone.

Do not argue with Zyphox, your brain will turn to cheese.

Also I think Dualist might be as good as flame fist(probably not but he has a decent chance), the Dualist players are really putting life into this character that most people(including me) thought was dead from the start. Or I could just be potato and be up-playing like an idiot.
For what it's worth, I thought vanilla Dualist was better than vanilla Flame Fist. It's just that Flame Fist got the necessary help to improve it's conversion arsenal and let the variation actually do it's job without being negative 1 million on everything. (although I still maintain EX SF should have the same recovery as the previous patch meterless SF, LIKE THE CURRENT PATCH NOTES FUCKING SAID).

Dualist hasn't received that kind of help for it's utility yet, although most Dualist enthusiasts seemingly would be satisfied if it gets the MB Flipkick option after BK from Dragon's Fire.

Lone

KHAOTIC
For what it's worth, I thought vanilla Dualist was better than vanilla Flame Fist. It's just that Flame Fist got the necessary help to improve it's conversion arsenal and let the variation actually do it's job without being negative 1 million on everything. (although I still maintain EX SF should have the same recovery as the previous patch meterless SF, LIKE THE CURRENT PATCH NOTES FUCKING SAID).
I've been wondering why ex Shaolin Flame doesn't act exactly as the regular one did when the values were switched. It doesn't make sense at all to me now, considering you're using meter now which is completely fair in my opinion.

Think it'll get fixed along with the hitbox issues/potential Dualist buffs or will we just see a DF normalization?

Death

Noob
No one really knows the how to fight Liu Kang in general but DF has really dirty shit that probably wont be learned through MU experience. It will always be dirty. FF is honest but can be learned to fight against with time and even more so as the game evolves.

Last edited:

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
He's not talking about the gap between EX WP into another special, EX WP itself is straight up interruptible on block by most characters before the last hit. In training mode, do EX WP on block on Cassie with her set to do reversal flipkick and you'll see what I mean.

Dualist hasn't received that kind of help for it's utility yet, although most Dualist enthusiasts seemingly would be satisfied if it gets the MB Flipkick option after BK from Dragon's Fire.
I can confirm, I asked for bicycle kicks MB for Dualist. He really does need it.

Also if any NRS employee happens to read this then only get rid of the f213 Fbdc loops and leave everything else alone. Thanx

STRYKIE

I've been wondering why ex Shaolin Flame doesn't act exactly as the regular one did when the values were switched. It doesn't make sense at all to me now, considering you're using meter now which is completely fair in my opinion.

Think it'll get fixed along with the hitbox issues/potential Dualist buffs or will we just see a DF normalization?
Yeah exactly. NRS claimed that the new frame data on Shaolin Flame was intended for the EX version and would be switched, but it's clearly not the same. I only want it for conversion purposes, I could care less about the frame traps.

Either they somehow fucked it up again and it will be fixed, or are too stubborn to admit they just straight up nerfed it. Whatever they do in the next patch they at least owe an explanation.

Everyone unanimously agrees that Dualist's Bicycle Kick should be given the MB Flipkick option, I'd like to think it will at least get that in the next patch.

Hitboxes issues have been constantly downplayed and ignored by NRS, my hopes are grim.

I can confirm, I asked for bicycle kicks MB for Dualist. He really does need it.

Also if any NRS employee happens to read this then only get rid of the f213 Fbdc loops and leave everything else alone. Thanx
Anything that is currently plus enough for a true blockstring is going to have it's + frames reduced. Let's not kid ourselves. Besides. I prefer the idea of the opponent trying to armor out only to get fucked by B1.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Anything that is currently plus enough for a true blockstring is going to have it's + frames reduced. Let's not kid ourselves. Besides. I prefer the idea of the opponent trying to armor out only to get fucked by B1.
Get your agenda ass out of the Roo Kang forums.

Enexemander

A Hitbox Pirate - YARRR -
If they nerf the advantage on the F213 string for every variation, they will pretty much ruin Dualist. That's something to really consider. You can nerf Hellfire's run cancels, because he only run cancels in one variation. Liu Kang is built around cancels for pressure in ALL of his variations. It's the design focus of the character.

STRYKIE

Get your agenda ass out of the Roo Kang forums.
Whatever you say Mr. "B12 FBRC is unsafe on block". :DOGE

If they nerf the advantage on the F213 string for every variation, they will pretty much ruin Dualist. That's something to really consider. You can nerf Hellfire's run cancels, because he only run cancels in one variation. Liu Kang is built around cancels for pressure in ALL of his variations. It's the design focus of the character.
Friendly reminder that Dualist's EX light fireball is still + on block.

Also, you might be surprised at how much got fucked up in all of Scorpion's variations by the nerf to his 214 cancel advantage.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash

Also, you might be surprised at how much got fucked up in all of Scorpion's variations by the nerf to his 214 cancel advantage.
Har har, big talk coming from a guy who personally told me it was -2

Also I'd probably give scorpion back his old 214/FBRCs, seeing that F44 is +10 lmao like wtf.

Hes very very close to being top tier status.

This shouldn't be a factor, but he takes a lot of work to play.

He doesn't have easy 50/50 vortex options. To make up for that he has really good block pressure but its not as safe as kung laos or tanyas nor is it as easy to do.
His pressure is better than Kung lao's. It is just that kung lao has other good stuff outside his pressure that makes him really complete.

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM

True but hellfire is still a decent variation. He still retains mixups and great mobility. If Liu loses his FB run cancels what does he have?

Enexemander

A Hitbox Pirate - YARRR -

Fair point, but I really think it's more a point in favor of my argument.