What's new

General/Other - Liu Kang What's Liu Kang missing to be top tier?

Zabru

My blade is broken damn right better than yours!
How many ppl do iafb on pad? I struggle so much on the ps4 pad I wish it wasn't one big button and were individual buttons like on a hitbox so I don't have to push them in the direction of the button I'm pressing if ya know what I mean. Like if I press up and then left I have to wait for the pad to actually move in that direction so I have to dedicate some much movement in that direction so by the time I hit right it's too slow.

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
Hitbox issues, not so great anti-air and bad overhead
he has anti airs just like the rest of the cast, just use standing normal to poke after crossover and go into full combo punish.

same goes for JIP's

he has an:
8 frame S1
6 SUframe F1

you can even use thos to poke them out of the sky then follow with combo...

go to the lab and figure this out with computer on record to crossover into combo at least 3 different ones!

timing is strict but 100% do-able

How many ppl do iafb on pad? I struggle so much on the ps4 pad I wish it wasn't one big button and were individual buttons like on a hitbox so I don't have to push them in the direction of the button I'm pressing if ya know what I mean. Like if I press up and then left I have to wait for the pad to actually move in that direction so I have to dedicate some much movement in that direction so by the time I hit right it's too slow.
I just decided one day to go into the lab and learn them and now i can do them pretty consistently on a good connection using PS4 controller right out of the standard ps4 box.

I think NRS should return to Liu Kang his DB4 special move from MKvsDCU for all variations. The one that he can cancel into 1, 2, 3 or 4, where 3 was low, 2 launched for juggles, 1 and 4 had a nice pushback and cheap. That would be something for him to become even stronger. I'm sure they can add an entire special move through patch, cause why not?
Cause they already gave that flip kick to Cunt Lao instead

wish he had it too tho

Zabru

I just decided one day to go into the lab and learn them and now i can do them pretty consistently on a good connection using PS4 controller right out of the standard ps4 box.
Well fuck you! :(

On a serious note could you explain how you position your thumb what part of your thumb you use, how hard you press, how close to the center you push them, how you distribute the weight of your thumb, how you hold the controller, how you slide your thumb, how you learnt how to do it, how you learnt how to do it on the other side of the screen, make a gif and right a book that I will buy. Thx in advance lol

I'm probably gonna get the ps2 pad converter that ppl are talking about in the other thread and that might be easier too. Anyway... could you maybe give me a bit of help? :(

Well fuck you! :(

On a serious note could you explain how you position your thumb what part of your thumb you use, how hard you press, how close to the center you push them, how you distribute the weight of your thumb, how you hold the controller, how you slide your thumb, how you learnt how to do it, how you learnt how to do it on the other side of the screen, make a gif and right a book that I will buy. Thx in advance lol

I'm probably gonna get the ps2 pad converter that ppl are talking about in the other thread and that might be easier too. Anyway... could you maybe give me a bit of help? :(
Hahahahahhaa.

I'll get right on it but for now,

I press veeeery lightly from up to forward just barely touching back as quickly as I can. There is a rhythm to it

Zabru

Hahahahahhaa.

I'll get right on it but for now,

I press veeeery lightly from up to forward just barely touching back as quickly as I can. There is a rhythm to it
Got my weekend cut out for me- I heard iafb is harder with DF, is this true?

The Farmer

Gunslinger since pre ptch -Shout out 2 Youphs 2015
I prefer his damage and chip and being able to force players into a few options and even if DF can do that too I love parry way too much and 11% fireballs
People underestimate the value of a good parry. It's a great mind game tool that really helps condition people. I miss my zod parry :-(

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
on a serious note Kang is lacking in the air department the most. most of the time i don't even jump because his jump normals have shit hitboxes and his jump arc is slightly too floaty. characters like kotal and sonya can jump at him all the time and it makes those MU's slightly difficult. before he got nerfed again after CEO he had meterless damage in FF but now i need to use meter for midscreen damage. lets just say this the CEO version of FF Liu Kang was a top 10 character for sure.

Also on my match versus Sonic i never actually played the Erron Black MU before, i didn't even know i was playing sonic until we got on stage since mostly everyone was telling me i was playing milky in top 8 i practiced on that MU the most. i discovered that WP whiffs on EB if he crouches and it leaves me at +5 which sonic already knew since i played his Kitana when i landed on friday and used the tech on him. idk maybe it was the stage but i just made the wrong read and he made the right ones almost everytime. like once i ended the block string in db2 in the corner and went for an ex WP, EB's only options are to jump or block unless he wanted to eat 51% one bar. the 2nd time i did it i went to NJP because i read he would jump again, had he jumped i would have hit him with 57% meterless combo that i can do in my sleep. these are the tide turners in matches that you see a lot, it comes down to one read and it could have turned the tide of the match, but instead i made the wrong one and got punished. also i think FF is better than DF for a few reason, but if you disagree then go out and prove me wrong guys.

also can Kang get a DP? like he has every dragon special, it would be so sick if in MK11 he got a Dragon Punch, that would make him possibly top 5 in this game if he had it.
Can you please share the 51% and 57% combos? I had no idea that was possible with flame fist post patch and am really curious.

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
Liu Kang absolutely bodies certain cast members, dumb character as xarakamaka has proved to me on many occasions. Why is he at ridiculous frame advantage after a regular dash cancel from f214? 6/7 reps of that then into mb flying kick and if you guess wrong after that you're eating another shit load of guaranteed chip if your character has a poor reversal.

Low profiling normals, good zoning which can be very frustrating, fast multi hitting normals, and frame advantage out the ass. What this character needs is better representation (in regards to dragons fire).

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Liu Kang absolutely bodies certain cast members, dumb character as xarakamaka has proved to me on many occasions. Why is he at ridiculous frame advantage after a regular dash cancel from f214? 6/7 reps of that then into mb flying kick and if you guess wrong after that you're eating another shit load of guaranteed chip if your character has a poor reversal.

Low profiling normals, good zoning which can be very frustrating, fast multi hitting normals, and frame advantage out the ass. What this character needs is better representation (in regards to dragons fire).
The F213 dash cancel block infinite only workd in the corner against characters without a poke under 8 frames and no meter, I don't think there's a single Liu Kang player who would cry about it being gone considering that it is pretty stupid.

Stuff that people aren't really using include the 113, 112 FBRC, and 11 FBRC F44 guessing game; the F44 FBRC loops; and playing footsies with him in general. Once people start learning his other tools as well then he's gonna be a very strong character.

Last edited:

Marvaz

come at me
Flame Fist officially Rebeloed...we get it.

Flame Fist is the only one with results...we get it @YOMI Zyphox

Dualist is shit tier...we get it @AK L0rdoftheFLY (oh shit thats me)

Dragon's Fire is the best one on paper 3 months into the games life....we get it @Derptile

ATL Red made Top 8 with Kang year one MK at EVO 2011 and Kang was as mid tier as mid tier came. Lets get real here folks. Lets not assume one variation is better than the other because of one tournament placing and lets not pretend like everyone has the execution 100% to make DF viable yet. DF is on paper by far the best variation but with a very high learning curve.

God damnit people lets relax and let the game evolve.
I was jk about top 5 but honestly he could be top 10-15. Once ppl learn how to blow up lk, which they currently aren't ff will be almost irrelevant and df will still be the variation if choice. I don't think a single player knew how to play vs lk prior to evo. Ff is fun and i been using ff for about a week now and hes fun but i think i might take up df eventually, on paper df seems extremely good.

TotallyNotKotalKahn

Low Tier Addict
In my opinion, a fast overhead starter that can lead into a combo. Some other stuff would be nice like better njp or better aa options but really a good overhead starter would do wonders. As it is the best overhead takes 2 highs to get to and can easily be poked out of by pretty much the whole cast. Just give him an axe kick man. Axe kicks are sick as hell, and if it bounces up where he can run cancel into f44 or b21 bam easy 30% off of early mixups. It wouldnt even make him broker, eb has fast overhead lows and low overheads.

In my opinion, a fast overhead starter that can lead into a combo. Some other stuff would be nice like better njp or better aa options but really a good overhead starter would do wonders. As it is the best overhead takes 2 highs to get to and can easily be poked out of by pretty much the whole cast. Just give him an axe kick man. Axe kicks are sick as hell, and if it bounces up where he can run cancel into f44 or b21 bam easy 30% off of early mixups. It wouldnt even make him broker, eb has fast overhead lows and low overheads.
I used to think he needed an overhead but his pressure is so crazy good that i have no trouble opening ppl up

TotallyNotKotalKahn

Low Tier Addict
well the guy was asking for top tier and this would honestly push him into top 7 at least. He has strong multi hitting armored attacks already, meaning he can stuff almost every wakeup in the game on a good read, give him a good overhead and every windmill punch or bicycle kick that leaves you standing puts you into a 50 50. His pressure is exactly what he does now, this would put him into godlike levels.

skater11

The saltiest
If any of you are ever fighting Liu kang and his health bar is at 7% or less. Just forward jump kick at him and you win. Worst case scenario, you trade with him.:DOGE

Last edited:

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
I was jk about top 5 but honestly he could be top 10-15. Once ppl learn how to blow up lk, which they currently aren't ff will be almost irrelevant and df will still be the variation if choice. I don't think a single player knew how to play vs lk prior to evo. Ff is fun and i been using ff for about a week now and hes fun but i think i might take up df eventually, on paper df seems extremely good.
Again all the yomi players know how to deal and blow up FF and I still win, on paper DF sounds broke but FF makes you scared to hit a button on block, you don't even know how many times I had to make a crazy comeback because I conditioned my opponent to hit buttons after wp and then I started to counter them with my option and rode the momentum. FF will kill you if you impatient while DF has more guaranteed pressure that works better against a smarter opponent. What people don't realize is the mindset of having something that has a gap. Giving false confidence then showing them the option counters theirs, the mind games are way scarier in FF especially in the corner.

skater11

The saltiest
Again all the yomi players know how to deal and blow up FF and I still win, on paper DF sounds broke but FF makes you scared to hit a button on block, you don't even know how many times I had to make a crazy comeback because I conditioned my opponent to hit buttons after wp and then I started to counter them with my option and rode the momentum. FF will kill you if you impatient while DF has more guaranteed pressure that works better against a smarter opponent. What people don't realize is the mindset of having something that has a gap. Giving false confidence then showing them the option counters theirs, the mind games are way scarier in FF especially in the corner.
Dragon fire is basically the same...oh you want to armor out of f213fbdc? Let me run cancel into another guaranteed f213.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
FAAAART

How is giving them a gap better than not giving anything?

Yeah I get that's why FF is good but there is no way in frost bitten hell your convincing anyone it's better than DF. By your logic Dualist is OP.