What's new

General/Other - Liu Kang What's Liu Kang missing to be top tier?

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
Working hitboxes, a better NJP, EX Spin, and better crossups. He has a very good neutral if you use Low Fireballs like fullscreen pokes, and great pressure. I'm referring to Dragon's Fire btw.

I don't know his MUs well enough to say if he's not top tier, but this is what he's missing IMO.

PlatypusVortex

15 time Evo champion
Honestly hes pretty damn good as is. Ive been playing him awhile and hes definitely got the tools to succeed just nothing too crazy. I do think he may need a slight buff or two (maybe a better poke?) to really round him out but honestly id be fine if they never touchef him again.

... At least in Dragons Fire.

You poor dualist motherfuckers:(

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
on a serious note Kang is lacking in the air department the most. most of the time i don't even jump because his jump normals have shit hitboxes and his jump arc is slightly too floaty. characters like kotal and sonya can jump at him all the time and it makes those MU's slightly difficult. before he got nerfed again after CEO he had meterless damage in FF but now i need to use meter for midscreen damage. lets just say this the CEO version of FF Liu Kang was a top 10 character for sure.

Also on my match versus Sonic i never actually played the Erron Black MU before, i didn't even know i was playing sonic until we got on stage since mostly everyone was telling me i was playing milky in top 8 i practiced on that MU the most. i discovered that WP whiffs on EB if he crouches and it leaves me at +5 which sonic already knew since i played his Kitana when i landed on friday and used the tech on him. idk maybe it was the stage but i just made the wrong read and he made the right ones almost everytime. like once i ended the block string in db2 in the corner and went for an ex WP, EB's only options are to jump or block unless he wanted to eat 51% one bar. the 2nd time i did it i went to NJP because i read he would jump again, had he jumped i would have hit him with 57% meterless combo that i can do in my sleep. these are the tide turners in matches that you see a lot, it comes down to one read and it could have turned the tide of the match, but instead i made the wrong one and got punished. also i think FF is better than DF for a few reason, but if you disagree then go out and prove me wrong guys.

also can Kang get a DP? like he has every dragon special, it would be so sick if in MK11 he got a Dragon Punch, that would make him possibly top 5 in this game if he had it.

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
I don't think people are aware of just how big that gap is after the windmill fist cancel is lol
if they were aware then i would just do ex WP on block everytime, i still build a bar back lmfao. can you explain how i manage to do well against yomi players even though they know all the gaps in my pressure? its because kang is a read based offensive character, i have a counter to ever counter you have, i just have to make the right read, people don't realize this and think i'm getting away with murder lmfao, even if you know the MU and the holes i will probably still do really well against you.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
if they were aware then i would just do ex WP on block everytime, i still build a bar back lmfao. can you explain how i manage to do well against yomi players even though they know all the gaps in my pressure? its because kang is a read based offensive character, i have a counter to ever counter you have, i just have to make the right read, people don't realize this and think i'm getting away with murder lmfao, even if you know the MU and the holes i will probably still do really well against you.
Woah man, chill out, I'm not trying discredit you no need for the defensiveness lol. Uh, pretty much every character is read based... You need to make reads with every character. Liu Kang is just a character that lives and dies from his reads, wins or loses based on fewer reads - from what you're telling me.

And no he can't have DP hahahaha :p

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Liu Kang is top tier man
Pick dragonsfire and pseudo block infinite people to death :DOGE
Don't forget the special mid Fly kick at -8, the low fire ball zoning, the sweet B2, or the safe DB2 with the option to MB afterwards and send you full screen.

What about all the totally safe strings to add to the endless shit stream of always safe stuff that he can do?

He's fine.

Anyone that plays Liu Kang should know that unless you take a risk by doing a stupid random fly kick or decide to throw one too many low fire balls, there is absolutely nothing that he can be punished for.

Last edited:

protools27

Rebel without a scene
Honestly hes pretty damn good as is. Ive been playing him awhile and hes definitely got the tools to succeed just nothing too crazy. I do think he may need a slight buff or two (maybe a better poke?) to really round him out but honestly id be fine if they never touchef him again.

... At least in Dragons Fire.

You poor dualist motherfuckers:(
He has a d3 that's +1 on block, and a 9 frame d1. His pokes are fine

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
I also forgot that you don't need to hit confirm from a D3, considering its +1 on block with his follow up B12 at 9 frames, which becomes 8 and it's -3 on block.

He requires no hit confirming, B12 will beat out most of most opponents options when they are -3 form this string, most of the cast can't stop him from just doing it again.

Last edited:

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Don't forget the special mid Fly kick at -8, the low fire ball zoning, the sweet B2, or the safe DB2 with the option to MB afterwards and send you full screen.

What about all the totally safe strings to add to the endless shit stream of always safe stuff that he can do?

He's fine.

Anyone that plays Liu Kang should know that unless you take a risk by doing a stupid random fly kick or decide to throw one too many low fire balls, there is absolutely nothing that he can be punished for.
Dragons fire fly kicks safe and can be MB'ed for +2 and to get in immediately , he has what are practically block infinites against any1 without a 7f move, his D3 goes under pretty much everything in this game, converts stamina to meter and vice versa.

He's the most fucked up character in the game IMO.

His d3 is +2 cause you have to block it crouching, so hold that extra frame and his B1 becomes a 7f mid, which he can then cancel back into ex bike kick and put himself back at +2 again.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Dragons fire fly kicks safe and can be MB'ed for +2 and to get in immediately , he has what are practically block infinites against any1 without a 7f move, his D3 goes under pretty much everything in this game, converts stamina to meter and vice versa.

He's the most fucked up character in the game IMO.

His d3 is +2 cause you have to block it crouching, so hold that extra frame and his B1 becomes a 7f mid, which he can then cancel back into ex bike kick and put himself back at +2 again.
Daaaaaaaamn