What's new

What is the legacy that Injustice: GAU leaves behind?

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Well first off, props must always be given to NRS for trying to implement new mechanics into their fighting games and learning from their mistakes. Injustice was fun as hell. We all know that NRS is known for a slightly more chaotic nuetral game than SF and what not but I think that Injustice was much better than MK9 in those regards. However I'm really looking forward to the more traditional footsie game that MKX looks like it will have with all these good pokes and normals and no more dash cancelling. Overall I would say that SF is deep but not that fun, Injustice was fun but not as deep, but MKX will be our saving grace and be deep and fun. God I'm so hype

It requires a bar you have to commit too so if you it whiffs bar gone
It depends on what the chars options are, i cant imagine all chars have unfuzzyable mix ups options after it
If they do it takes 2 guesses during a combo, 1 guess left or right throw, 2 then guess the OH/Low mix up

So overal Situational 1 bar to commit, and 2 guesses
If Op gets all that right i will happily take guessing wrong as in Theory it wont be constant guessing without Commitment and Risks (Hopefully) we'll see

yeah well see. Topic has been discussed enough, no point to continue until further info. unlike you, i am still not a believer though.

Espio

Kokomo
I will remember Injustice for it rekindling my love for my two favorite DC comics characters (Hawkgirl and Martian Manhunter) introduction of legit grapplers to NRS games and awesome character variety.

There is not a single game in existence where everyone likes every mechanic or trait of a game and Injustice is no exception to this. I enjoyed the game, my only gripes with the game were interactables being so damaging while simultaneously being unblockable and I feel like walk speed could have been better as that would make it more conducive to a better footsie/spacing game. This is not to say that footsies and spacing cannot be played, it's just a bit less fluid and enjoyable.

Pushblock, down 1's comboing into specials and the dash/backdash meta were all interesting to me.

I have my grievances about MK9, but the one thing I loved about MK9 was the walk speeds, baiting out a move like Kitana's forward 2,1 and full combo punishing is a super satisfying feeling.

I also felt like I could play people across various tier positions in Injustice and felt like I could be successful at majors, while I never felt that way with MK9 playing people in the low tier or lower mid tier and as the game went on even the mid tier.

I didn't play a 50/50 mix up character as a main and when I fought players using 50/50 mix up characters, there was never a time where beyond salt I could objectively say a player is inferior and is merely winning because their character has looping 50/50 mix ups. We don't need to like all these tools, but in my view, to discredit a player over it is just absurd.

It seems like Mortal Kombat 9 and Injustice when grouped together as a whole have been stepping stones and seeing NRS learn from their mistakes over each game is really exciting and I cannot wait to play MKX.

TL;DR Every game has issues and high points.

Last edited:

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
yeah well see. Topic has been discussed enough, no point to continue until further info. unlike you, i am still not a believer though.
Not completely sold either, but so far it looks not to be the case, mix ups are fine, FG's wouldnt work without them, its about they are executed that makes them bad

StevoSuprem0

I'm gonna make this skill gap... disappear.
Well said. Just to add my piece...
The thing that always drives me insane in Injustice are the extremely disjointed hit/hurtboxes of some moves/characters and interactables. We all saw GamerBlake jump at Honeybee after he threw that dumpster and it had come to a complete stop, and many of us immediately started rolling our eyes and shaking our heads because we've been there, and knew exactly what was about to happen- magical forces launch out of the dumpster and shoot him back into the corner.
Overall, Injustice was a step in the right direction in terms of balance and stability (IMO, at least), but there were still glaring flaws and some very unbalanced/broken mechanics, and I hope NRS continues to learn from these mistakes moving forward.

Last edited:

Crusty

Retired forever; don’t ask for games.
Injustice was the very first fighting game I got my hands on. I'll be honest, I'm not really a fan of MK but more of a fan of DC. I don't know much about MK so please bear with me.

Playing as your favorite heroes or villains is fun in of itself. I love this game to death, that being said I didn't find it very beginner friendly in the sense that some characters are easier than others to even use (though I assume the same thing is in MK). Because of the mechanics (again I don't know how the mechanics of MK work) players must do some annoyed grinding on their matchups frame data (especially if your character is low tier). You have to literally check where to block what at all times with no holes and if you screw up it's hell. Also, don't get me started on the interactable advantages/disadvantages.

This may be redundant but I particularly dislike the game because of too many 50/50s. Especially with vortex characters like Batgirl and Sinestro, I dislike it in the sense that I hate anything that requires luck NOT skill, especially if you guess wrong twice. I'm not detracting from any strong players but man it is full of BS in that department. I kinda hate the idea of how they made a batman wannabee top tier and more prominent characters like GA (the nerfs killed anything he had) and Lobo (he still has problems despite his buffs) low tier (though that's just me being biased).It kinda bummed me that my boy Red Hood wasn't including in DLC. I don't have issues with zoning though (either pre-patch or post-patch) which is a surprise, the key was to play VERY patient there.

While I do hate the game for including all of that, I also like that aspect in the sense that iit forces you to play smart as you adapt to your opponent's patterns. That being said, stay away from the online environment at all times as some of the people online can be very dirty and cheap it sometimes makes it hard to play this game for fun.

Being that this was my first fighting game, I look forward to a sequel (with less BS) which hopefully Jason is in the game (especially since he's in Arkham Knight, if he isn't NRS will be making a huge mistake). This game seemed like an experiment for NRS in some sense and hopefully they learn from their mistakes in the future of all their games.

Till then I'll continue playing it even though it is might as well be dead in the tournament scene.

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
The problem with this argument is that there are other fighting games out there, good ones at that, that also have alot of this. The Street Fighter IV series and the Guilty Gear series come to mind. Now while there has been some pushback against it in the former (hence DWU in Ultra), the latter is basically all about set play/oki, to the point where it's a series trademark.

The question now is which one serves Injustice's identity as a game/franchise better.
Dave touched on this and hit the nail on the head about SFIV. Capcom invented a whole new mechanic just to get rid of the vortex's in that game. Guilty Gear also has multiple mechanics to get out of looping 50/50's with Burst and dead angles and some characters have invincible wakeup attacks as well. These games wouldn't be considered 'good' if these issues didn't get addressed by their developers.

haketh

Noob
Until the guy stops teabagging opponents mid match, he can't be considered mature.

have some respect for your opponents even if you are far superior, hell ESPECIALLY when you're the far superior player.

Dudes amazing, but gotta cut out the nonsense.
Except he does it to have fun with people he knows, he doesn't do it to people he doesn't know. Chill.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
I don't think Injustice ever had a chance with the community.

Between the, "Injustice has no footsies" crowd...
The top players with podcasts who pushed personal agendas under the guise of concern for the community...
"Deathstroke Rules Injustice"
"If Scorpion is in Injustice, I'm Going To Quit"
The Great Scorpion Scare(The character needed adjustments, but he didn't need to be stomped into the ground)
The calling for Paulo's job because of Martian Manhunter...
And the general venom that people who were successful in MK9, but struggled in Injustice had toward the game simply because they were too stubborn to realize they couldn't just pick up the game and be instantly good at it....

Injustice never had a chance. Too many personal agendas were pushed and listened to by the community, too many minorities with bigger voices than the majority being "trusted" instead of the community thinking/exploring/figuring out shit for themselves....

Let's just hope the community isn't so emotional and reactionary when MKX comes out.

Ecodus

I ain't got time to bleed.

The top players with podcasts who pushed personal agendas under the guise of concern for the community...
The Great Scorpion Scare(The character needed adjustments, but he didn't need to be stomped into the ground)
And the general venom that people who were successful in MK9, but struggled in Injustice had toward the game simply because they were too stubborn to realize they couldn't just pick up the game and be instantly good at it....

Injustice never had a chance. Too many personal agendas were pushed and listened to by the community, too many minorities with bigger voices than the majority being "trusted" instead of the community thinking/exploring/figuring out shit for themselves....

Let's just hope the community isn't so emotional and reactionary when MKX comes out.
6-4 HG.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy

THIS

haketh

Noob

Yup

tatterbug4

Bug of tater's
There were to many 50/50s I do like some 50/50 aspect in the game. I feel if a character has a vortex like Batgirls. They should have a really bad everything else. But even though I don't play a vortex character. It feels good guessing right and looping them again. I say just nerf the character so they have to rely on the vortex only

Crathen

Death is my business
Injustice demonstrated that NRS is capable of putting out a solid game with various mechanics in it to have varied character designs , back in the MK9 days a lot of players i know made fun how NRS couldn't make a game with different jump animations / attacks , characters played similarly and lack of pushback on projectiles / no true grapplers.

It showed that NRS is not afraid to move forward and try new things out and actually make something good.

Balance aside ( wich is still way better than MK9 ) the game is good and actually fun if you didn't come in expecting to be MK9 with DC characters , it showed me that a bunch of the community likes to slam Injustice trying to pump up MK9 and with MKX on the horizon this is not a good mentality to grow ( injustice players show them how to be classy ).

Without Injustice , MKX might have been the same old soup mk9 was.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
It's the game that introduced me to DC characters that are not Batman/Superman/Teen Titans related.. I didn't know who half these asshats were before playing injustice lol. I remember our local injustice day 1 session and how "What's a Sinestro?" became an inside joke that we're still using now coz no one knew what/who that was..

I genuienly enjoyed the game and played it heavily, it had a lot of quesionable mechanics and design aspects (MB trident rush building back most of the bar back, interactables, walkspeed being useless, Batgirl's everything etc), but the reason I stopped was when the DLC started to come out and MMH/Batgirl/Zod made the game not fun.

Here's to MKX and hoping NRS learned from all the nonsense in injustice ^^