What's new

Wake-Up tier list

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
Wake up escrima maybe invincible but sooooo risky. Flip kick is usually out desperation by a nw player imo.. If im in escrima its very situational and mu dependent, ill either wu back dash, forward dash or doing nothing and defend.. Staff has good wakeups imo. staff spin is invincible << Yes i know it can be neutral jumped, and fg will get you out of cross up situations like ww for example, or after grundy's throw into neutral jump. Or again, wu and do nothing, defend and D1 my way out of dodge :) B tier sounds about right
Umm, staff spin doesn't seem invincible, Harley can d2, and TS ~1 him out of it(granted it has to be frame perfect) she also can d2 him at anytime during flying grayson.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
So GL is trash tier because he get's punished? How can he be in trash tier when he gets so much of his wake-up yet Cyborg and Lex are in the tier above him and they get far less for they're equally as punishable wake-ups?

HoneyBee

Flash God Lord
I can see deathstroke as a B tier but how is he higher than that? Sword flip is mad punishable and all you get is like 8% or something on hit. Sword spin is safe on block but neutral jump can punish it easily and on hit you're not getting much from it. I could be wrong, I'm no deathstroke main. Just saying what I gather from the ones I face.
What the fuck is Doomsday doing in a tier higher than C for someone's wake up tier list?

Not referring to OP's, mind you. @HoneyBee, mind explaining why Doomsday's wake ups are considered A-tier to you?
As long as he has meter, can't DD use the wake up MB charge and get you right back in his game again? I don't think there's much that can be done about it besides blocking.. correct me if I'm wrong. I'm open to suggestions. I could see DD as a B tier but not a C tier.

Either way, I didn't start this thread lol. I just saw how ridiculous the actual list was so I made my own. I didn't actually research anything lol.

Yoaks

A spaceman
You can D1 and D2 Flying Dick, and Staff spin gets full punished in many ways.

Top wake ups are

Batgirl
Shazam
Zatanna
MMH(when dont they ever wake up?
Grundy
Supes
DD
Lobo

the last 4 I listed, I know you can blow up those wake ups, but they still be catching people off guard for a lot of dammy.
DD wakeups are ass. And Lobo's HC can get stuffed, baited or neutral jumped.

Yoaks

A spaceman
deathstroke wakeups are really good. idk what you guys are smoking who say it isnt. even though the flip is mad punishable it beats literally everything but block. you cant jump, backdash, push buttons or armor through it. maybe some parries will beat it but if it did all those things and was safe tht would be pretty dumb
Not to mention the GDLK chip it does!

Yoaks

A spaceman
I can see deathstroke as a B tier but how is he higher than that? Sword flip is mad punishable and all you get is like 8% or something on hit. Sword spin is safe on block but neutral jump can punish it easily and on hit you're not getting much from it. I could be wrong, I'm no deathstroke main. Just saying what I gather from the ones I face.

As long as he has meter, can't DD use the wake up MB charge and get you right back in his game again? I don't think there's much that can be done about it besides blocking.. correct me if I'm wrong. I'm open to suggestions. I could see DD as a B tier but not a C tier.

Either way, I didn't start this thread lol. I just saw how ridiculous the actual list was so I made my own. I didn't actually research anything lol.
All of Doomsday's wakeup's can get stuffed except Up Venom, which is invincible but really punishable. Whenever I play Doomsday I hardly ever wakeup.

Vagrant

Noob
I can see deathstroke as a B tier but how is he higher than that? Sword flip is mad punishable and all you get is like 8% or something on hit. Sword spin is safe on block but neutral jump can punish it easily and on hit you're not getting much from it. I could be wrong, I'm no deathstroke main. Just saying what I gather from the ones I face..

Good question and I can see why initially you might be skeptical. However fully invincible moves are not as common as you think in this game and DS is the only character with 2 invincible wake ups that auto correct into each other. This blows up so many crossover attempts and completely nullifies reverse wake up setups. If I land a sword flip yes I only get 8% but I also get a hard knockdown. Which is an invaluable trait in fighting games and immediately reverses momentum in deathstrokes favor.

For instance if I wake up flip against say catwoman. I can dash up and time my 50/50 to stuff her wake up so she has to guess in order to get up, if she's right I'm still safe, if she's wrong she's eating more damage into the same scenario. Even if they have wake ups that can't be stuffed sword flip immediately lets me reset spacing, start zoning if I wish, bait one of their unsafe wake ups, go for a crossover etc. It's 8% damage but the momentum shift is huge, especially for a character like Deathstroke who can threaten his opponent from basically all ranges.

Sword spin can be neutral jumped yes, but that just puts me at the second phase of the meta and if I read neutral jump I can respond with a d2, backdash into whiff punish, sword flip, etc. Sword spin being multihitting and having a lengthy number of active frames is also huge because it allows me to hit confirm into MB Sword spin. If I see spin hit a Mb it-- dash -- sword flip, for somewhere around 20%, a hard knockdown, and a huge momentum shift.

So let's say you don't want to deal with the wake up threats and decide to just let me get up? Well that means that the threat alone of my wake ups has caused my opponent to let me get up for free, which is a huge advantage and really all you can possibly ask for in a wake up attack.

He has the best wake up tandem in the game imo.

Last edited:
E

Eldriken

All of Doomsday's wakeup's can get stuffed except Up Venom, which is invincible but really punishable. Whenever I play Doomsday I hardly ever wakeup.
I generally pay attention to the player's habits before determining whether or not I will do a wake-up.

But more often than not, it's best to just block.

HoneyBee

Flash God Lord
Good question and I can see why initially you might be skeptical. However fully invincible moves are not as common as you think in this game and DS is the only character with 2 invincible wake ups that auto correct into each other. This blows up so many crossover attempts and completely nullifies reverse wake up setups. If I land a sword flip yes I only get 8% but I also get a hard knockdown. Which is an invaluable trait in fighting games and immediately reverses momentum in deathstrokes favor.

For instance if I wake up flip against say catwoman. I can dash up and time my 50/50 to stuff her wake up so she has to guess in order to get up, if she's right I'm still safe, if she's wrong she's eating more damage into the same scenario. Even if they have wake ups that can't be stuffed sword flip immediately lets me reset spacing, start zoning if I wish, bait one of their unsafe wake ups, go for a crossover etc. It's 8% damage but the momentum shift is huge, especially for a character like Deathstroke who can threaten his opponent from basically all ranges.

Sword spin can be neutral jumped yes, but that just puts me at the second phase of the meta and if I read neutral jump I can respond with a d2, backdash into whiff punish, sword flip, etc. Sword flip being multihitting and having a lengthy number of active frames is also huge because it allows me to hit confirm into MB Sword spin. If I see spin hit a Mb it-- dash -- sword flip, for somewhere around 20%, a hard knockdown, and a huge momentum shift.

So let's say you don't want to deal with the wake up threats and decide to just let me get up? Well that means that the threat alone of my wake ups has caused my opponent to let me get up for free, which is a huge advantage and really all you can possibly ask for in a wake up attack.

Alright that makes a lot of sense. I guess part of this whole 'wake up tier list' is kind of hard to judge because you don't really know how good it is unless you play the character and know everything that follows said wake up attack. I refrain from commenting on any other character wake ups lol.

BunLantern

Long live b13 minigun
I'd move GL up one spot. His wakeups are super punishable and pretty bad but if he does land the wakeup lift he gets a full combo into a 50/50, unlike batman where if he lands his wakeup he gets 12% damage and still has to block because of the shit recovery.

Catwoman should be on the list twice, with trait her wakeup is one of the best without trait it's one of the worst. Same deal with Raven.

I'd move Flash down just one tier, his are punishable but he has a lot of options and some of the moves can be hard to punish.

Honestly any character with a "get me the fuck out of here" teleport should be at the highest tier. Shazam, Zatanna, Raven (trait), Ares and whoever else I might have left out.

Matix218

Get over here!

Sword spin can be neutral jumped yes, but that just puts me at the second phase of the meta and if I read neutral jump I can respond with a d2, backdash into whiff punish, sword flip, etc. Sword spin being multihitting and having a lengthy number of active frames is also huge because it allows me to hit confirm into MB Sword spin. If I see spin hit a Mb it-- dash -- sword flip, for somewhere around 20%, a hard knockdown, and a huge momentum shift.

I completely agree with this

@MylesWright_

I'll be back 3ing
Who even cares, what a pointless thread. It's just another attempt to put Killer Frost at a high rank in something, they'll be a tier list for parries next and she'll be high on that

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Should really be based on characters you shouldnt get near when they need to wake up.

Grundy, Bane, Batgirl, KF,

Followed by escape artists:

Shazam, Zatanna, Ares

Followed by great wakeups:

Deathstroke, Zod, MMH, Black Adam, Hawkgirl

so on and so forth...Aquaman's sucks and I'm salty about it.

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
S-Tier: Safe teleport: (Eg: Zatanna)
A -Tier: Fully invincible and Safe or Multi-hitting (Eg: MMH)
B- Tier: Fully Invincible but Un-safe and either multi-hitting or leads to great damage (Eg., GL)
C- Tier: Fully Invincible, but Un-safe and single hitting (Eg., Cyborg)
D- Tier: Stuff-able, but Safe or multihitting (Eg., Zod, Aquaman)
F- Stuff-able and Unsafe and single hitting

Now go look up Glass Swords thread on "Wakeups and You" and plug and chug.

The biggest problem with wake-ups is whether they can be stuffed or not.

Next comes safety? Can it be punished?

Then how many hits does it have? This protects against MB B3

Then comes risk/reward. Do you get a combo after it, a knockdown?

Last edited:

JDM

Noob
i had Ares in A tier but switched him at the last minute because idk how safe his teleports are

GL has one useable wakeup attack and its -20something
Actually, Turbine isn't horrible sometimes. When people do meaty command grab setups. or things that force you to be hit on the ground, a turbine could trade or flat out beat the move.

dat jdm tech yo