What's new

General/Other - Mileena The Mileena General Discussion Thread (All Variations)

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
Don't use ia sai it has horrible recovery.It's not Kitana air fan. You can be punished from half the screen away when whiffing 1 air sai. Use ground sai is better. If you're within their jump range try to anti air or move back

Damaja325

Stylin' & Low Profilin'
what do you guys think about the F12B4 / F12,Ex Roll mix-up? i used to have alot of success with it but lately it's proven to be unsuccessful. is it reactable? i seem to be able to condition most opponents with the low at the end but when i try to throw out the ex roll randomly it gets blocked. i'm thinking of dropping this mix-up completely since it's really risky and just doesn't seem to catch good players off guard.

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
what do you guys think about the F12B4 / F12,Ex Roll mix-up? i used to have alot of success with it but lately it's proven to be unsuccessful. is it reactable? i seem to be able to condition most opponents with the low at the end but when i try to throw out the ex roll randomly it gets blocked. i'm thinking of dropping this mix-up completely since it's really risky and just doesn't seem to catch good players off guard.
Some people claim it is reactable/fuzzy guarded due to the huge flash of pink from Ex Roll, otherwise Im not sure. Unless you confirm the low into big damage (ie Roll) there is not much to fear from being hit by the low except a low sai afterwards or a telekick. But hit confirming that isnt easy to do.

I would say if you are not a fan of it maybe save the mixup and use it as a potential matchwinner, round closer. Or change the main mixup to be 2 xx Ex Roll/21

Damaja325

Stylin' & Low Profilin'
maybe they fuzzy guarded because you cancel f12 into EXroll after 3rd hit, not 4th?
idk.. perhaps. i try to delay it as far as possible but sometimes ex roll doesn't come out. might be an input error on my part. i'll see about that. good idea.

darklightjg1

Lost Street Fighter Player
I have a question cross-posted from the frame advantage thread I was wondering if anyone knew the answer to since the example is Ethereal Mileena (but relevant to more characters I think):

Is there a formula to calculate the advantage of a move cancelled into a special that doesn't hit (is either dash/run cancelled or something like Mileena's EX Fade), but obviously leaves the character at more frame advantage afterward? For example: Mileena's F3 is 33f startup, 4f active and 25f recovery, +2 on block and is cancellable on frame 44.

But if I cancel that F3 into EX DD2 (Ethereal), then I can actually get it to be about +15 on block and use F2 afterward for a true blockstring. The thing I'm confused about is how does this work mathematically?

Plugging her F3 move into the formula I've been seeing is: 33 + 4 + 25 + 2 - 44 = 20f cancel advantage

... but then the special move (EX DD2) is 12f startup, 2f active and 0f recovery, so that's 14f used.

20 - 14 is not 15 frames, so how am I able to do this blockstring? Am I missing something?
...I tried to figure it out with her F4 gaining enough advantage to combo into almost all of her starters on hit as well, but I'm just not seeing how the numbers really work out.

Skedar70

Noob
I don't use it, its too risky. I think it can be fuzzied depending on when you cancel into ex roll. I mean you can cancel into ex roll at different times of the 2 animation. If you are using ethereal its better to go for en ex fade or regular fade instead of the roll.

Basically what Gab said. You HAVE to use the low first. And often.
If you try to mix up too early, people just don't give a shit about the low ender.

For example: Mileena's F3 is 33f startup, 4f active and 25f recovery, +2 on block and is cancellable on frame 44.

But if I cancel that F3 into EX DD2 (Ethereal), then I can actually get it to be about +15 on block and use F2 afterward for a true blockstring. The thing I'm confused about is how does this work mathematically?

Plugging her F3 move into the formula I've been seeing is: 33 + 4 + 25 + 2 - 44 = 20f cancel advantage

... but then the special move (EX DD2) is 12f startup, 2f active and 0f recovery, so that's 14f used.

20 - 14 is not 15 frames, so how am I able to do this blockstring? Am I missing something?
I'm not 100% sure on how the calculations are made, but I know the math here is wrong. First, +2 on block is just that; block advantage. That means, if you do no followups on block at all, Mileena will recover from the impact in 25 frames and her opponent recovers in 27 frames. So you don't add the +2. (Give or take. If the kick makes contact on the last active frame, you could be at +3 or so since Mileena is that much closer to recovery.)

The whole move, according to those numbers you put, takes 58f to complete. 33f startup + 25f recovery = 58f. The 4 active frames aren't added to this, they are included already. On frame 33 the kick hits, and stays active until frame 36. (4f active. 33, 34, 35, 36).

The main thing I'm not sure of is whether or not the cancel is on frame 44, or if EX Fade has 12f startup. I thought EX Fade was faster than that.
Maybe @Akromaniac27 can answer that question.

Akromaniac27

Ready to lose your head?
I'm not 100% sure on how the calculations are made, but I know the math here is wrong. First, +2 on block is just that; block advantage. That means, if you do no followups on block at all, Mileena will recover from the impact in 25 frames and her opponent recovers in 27 frames. So you don't add the +2. (Give or take. If the kick makes contact on the last active frame, you could be at +3 or so since Mileena is that much closer to recovery.)

The whole move, according to those numbers you put, takes 58f to complete. 33f startup + 25f recovery = 58f. The 4 active frames aren't added to this, they are included already. On frame 33 the kick hits, and stays active until frame 36. (4f active. 33, 34, 35, 36).

The main thing I'm not sure of is whether or not the cancel is on frame 44, or if EX Fade has 12f startup. I thought EX Fade was faster than that.
Maybe @Akromaniac27 can answer that question.
^In a general response to this for anyone wondering:

Truthfully, I gave up trying to figure out recovery frames because this game is insanely inconsistent with it. The animations alter between on block and on hit and change as well on whiff, and there's no solid formula to check active frames or recovery frames. Each move varies, including it's hitbox, and to check the true frame data for recovery, you'd have to be frame perfect in countless trials and errors to SOMEWHAT find an answer.

That aside, MOST of the cancels kinda have to happen as the move hits. The only "true" exceptions are with F1/F12 and B1. 4 "gains" an extra frame of cancel advantage when you use it on it's tip, the last active frame, hence why I'm sure many of you have seen the combo video where they connect 4~f3. In a real match, that's near impossible to do because the standard cancel advantage after 4~EXfade is +32, not 33. You not only have to be distance specific, but you have to be frame perfect after as well.

The link below is her true frame data on what CAN be reliably checked. I've triple checked this several times with reversals just to be sure, so it is accurate. I broke down footage frame by frame to check this, so just follow all the pointers I have in the thread. I even have an ethereal "guide" on checking cancel advantage there too:

http://testyourmight.com/threads/mileena-frame-data-chart.56314/

Last edited:

Akromaniac27

Ready to lose your head?
I have a question cross-posted from the frame advantage thread I was wondering if anyone knew the answer to since the example is Ethereal Mileena (but relevant to more characters I think):

...I tried to figure it out with her F4 gaining enough advantage to combo into almost all of her starters on hit as well, but I'm just not seeing how the numbers really work out.
To directly answer this, don't rely on in game frame data. Trust me, you'll find many more errors, than accuracy. Also, you only really add a frame or two at best, if you have the final move hit at it's very tip, in which for many moves, that's the only hitbox it will have regardless and for some moves too, it makes no difference.

F3 in Ethereal cancel advantage on block is +14 if you EXFade forward | or +15 if you EXFade in place.

F4 cancel advantage on hit in Ethereal is +18 if you EXFade forward | or +19 if you EXFade in place.

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
Oh yeah I forgot to reply to that lol. It's kinda meh, when you have f1 that is safe all the way as opposed to committing to our lovely unsafe AF roll lol...
No it's the same setup with meaty B1, if they don't wake up B1 won't touch and roll won't come out. That's why i need you to explore more about that.

Akromaniac27

Ready to lose your head?
No it's the same setup with meaty B1, if they don't wake up B1 won't touch and roll won't come out. That's why i need you to explore more about that.
Ahhh ok, I see what you're saying. I'm testing it out and yes, it does do that, but F12b4 is able to break as quick as 7f armored wakeups and you can hit confirm into a combo from it for more damage than B1. It's an interesting setup, but F1 does all of that on its own and is +1/+2 if blocked.

Akromaniac27

Ready to lose your head?
What would you recommend against crossups in general and against subzero's crossups in particular?
Depending on the height of their jump, you can tele or roll on reaction. Roll will usually beat it out every time despite the height, but if they're altering their timing, then EXRoll on reaction works too lol. That and, whiffing a d3 will cause the jump in to whiff, and you'll recover quicker. Maybe not in time to punish, but enough to gain your own pace again.

And the classic d2 lol

darklightjg1

Lost Street Fighter Player
^In a general response to this for anyone wondering:

Truthfully, I gave up trying to figure out recovery frames because this game is insanely inconsistent with it. The animations alter between on block and on hit and change as well on whiff, and there's no solid formula to check active frames or recovery frames. Each move varies, including it's hitbox, and to check the true frame data for recovery, you'd have to be frame perfect in countless trials and errors to SOMEWHAT find an answer.

That aside, MOST of the cancels kinda have to happen as the move hits. The only "true" exceptions are with F1/F12 and B1. 4 "gains" an extra frame of cancel advantage when you use it on it's tip, the last active frame, hence why I'm sure many of you have seen the combo video where they connect 4~f3. In a real match, that's near impossible to do because the standard cancel advantage after 4~EXfade is +32, not 33. You not only have to be distance specific, but you have to be frame perfect after as well.

The link below is her true frame data on what CAN be reliably checked. I've triple checked this several times with reversals just to be sure, so it is accurate. I broke down footage frame by frame to check this, so just follow all the pointers I have in the thread. I even have an ethereal "guide" on checking cancel advantage there too:

http://testyourmight.com/threads/mileena-frame-data-chart.56314/
Thank you for this.
In the charts, how did you actually determine the the cancel advantage on hit/block? Combining those with the EX fade value matches the advantages I've been getting. What's been bugging me is how do you get that (cancel advantage at the end of a move/string), because the formula people came up with in the frame data thread doesn't get that kind of advantage and that's what was throwing me off.

Akromaniac27

Ready to lose your head?
Thank you for this.
In the charts, how did you actually determine the the cancel advantage on hit/block? Combining those with the EX fade value matches the advantages I've been getting. What's been bugging me is how do you get that (cancel advantage at the end of a move/string), because the formula people came up with in the frame data thread doesn't get that kind of advantage and that's what was throwing me off.
No problem. On the charts, I recorded the moves and played them out at 60 frames per second to get the accurate numbers. There wasn't a "Real" formula to it other than having to count it frame by frame. For the Fade formula though, it's based on the total duration of it. EXFade Forward is 15f total duration and the other two are 14F total duration.

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
Ahhh ok, I see what you're saying. I'm testing it out and yes, it does do that, but F12b4 is able to break as quick as 7f armored wakeups and you can hit confirm into a combo from it for more damage than B1. It's an interesting setup, but F1 does all of that on its own and is +1/+2 if blocked.
If I use B1 roll I can react to wake up back dash, chase people down and punish. If I only press F1 I'll lose a combo opportunity if people wake up, however F12B4 is minus if they don't. It's still based on read though, but sometimes I just need to make my setups less predictable. Everything can be blown up easily if repeated too many times