What's new

General/Other - Tanya Tanya Pre-Release General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
that was bugging me for a long time. why would a game as politically correct as MKX whitewash a character? to make matters even more confusing NRS is an american company the fact they even risked such a thing in this time of racial tension is beyond me. i know why Japan does it, but for NRS i cant think of any logical reasoning.
As a black man I think only people unfamiliar with the series would see it as "white-washing". They made a race of people with vastly varying skin tones, that have never been shown to have labels and races like "black" or "white" tied to skin color.

As far as I'm concerned she went from dark Edenian to high-tan Edian, back to dark Edenian. She was never black, she was never white, and she never will be.

Honestly I don't think any of the Edenians have every been portrayed as the same skin tone as each other, and besides Sindel they've all varied.

Calling Jade or Tanya black because they have dark skin would be like calling this 100% Indian woman black:

That's not how race works.

If they pulled a Michael Jackson with Jax however, i'd be more than a little confused and pissed.

----

I like that Tanya has gone back to her more traditional roots, but I kind of liked her a bit more with those pupils.

zydrate101

XBL: zydrate101
As a black man I think only people unfamiliar with the series would see it as "white-washing". They made a race of people with vastly varying skin tones, that have never been shown to have labels and races like "black" or "white" tied to skin color.

As far as I'm concerned she went from dark Edenian to high-tan Edian, back to dark Edenian. She was never black, she was never white, and she never will be.

Honestly I don't think any of the Edenians have every been portrayed as the same skin tone as each other, and besides Sindel they've all varied.

Calling Jade or Tanya black because they have dark skin would be like calling this 100% Indian woman black:

If they pulled a Michael Jackson with Jax however, i'd be more than a little confused and pissed.

----
I like that Tanya has gone back to her more traditional roots, but I kind of liked her a bit more with those pupils.
how is that fair you would be upset about jax but not tanya? that just isn't right. We should never EVER be sticking up for this kind of behaviour and try to make it look like less of a thing.

Reactions: cfw

AcCooper20

Chilled to the Core
how is that fair you would be upset about jax but not tanya? that just isn't right. We should never EVER be sticking up for this kind of behaviour and try to make it look like less of a thing.
What he means is you could never factually say that Tanya is or was a "black" or "african american" character because she isnt. She is a dark skin Edenian. Edenians are a made up race of people that NRS can change and edit however they want. If they decide for continuity purposes that they want all Edenians to have a similar skintone then thats their right, if they decide that they want all Edenians to be blue then they can do that too. However with Jax and Jacqui they are both in fact African american characters so they are technically in a different boat than Tanya is.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Because Edenians aren't black people. They aren't even a real race of people at all. They come in an array of colors and those aren't even consistent between games.

This is an Edenian woman:

This is also an Edenian woman:

There is no set or correct skin tone for Edenians.

What are you going to say next, D'Vorah is a "yellow person" because her skin is yellow? Are you going to be mad if they make D'Vorah more of a bronze-gold in the next game instead of canary yellow?

Skin color does not denote race, especially when said character already has a set race, and that race is Edenian, and Edenians have a surplus of skin tones.

zydrate101

Because Edenians aren't black people. They aren't even a real race of people at all. They come in an array of colors and those aren't even consistent between games.

What are you going to say next, D'Vorah is a "yellow person" because her skin is yellow? Are you going to be mad if they make D'Vorah more of a bronze-gold in the next game instead of canary yellow?

Skin color does not denote race, especially when said character already has a set race, and that race is Edenian, and Edenians have a surplus of skin tones.
yes actually i would !! it doesn't matter if it's a real race or not it has repercussions . You my friend can try to denounce this all you want but she's a dark skinned character and that is a FACT.

Reactions: cfw

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I'm not arguing on wether or not she's a dark skinned character or not. I'm telling you it doesn't matter what skin color she is because Edenians don't have a set skin tone because they are a fictional race of people, who have been shown to not only range from pale white to mahogany, but the characters themselves aren't always consistently the same color from game to game.

Sometimes Jade is lighter, some times she is darker, some times Kitana is a vague tan, sometimes she looks pale.

As far as we know, since they are entirely fabricated, Edenians could change colors like freaking chameleons or something.

Anybody seen her updated design in the Main Menu? She has all white eyes, her hair seems straighter and less puffy and her skin tone seems a little darker.

zydrate101

I'm not arguing on wether or not she's a dark skinned character or not. I'm telling you it doesn't matter what skin color she is because Edenians don't have a set skin tone because they are a fictional race of people, who have been shown to not only range from pale white to mahogany, but the characters themselves aren't always consistently the same color from game to game.

Sometimes Jade is lighter, some times she is darker, some times Kitana is a vague tan, sometimes she looks pale.

As far as we know, since they are entirely fabricated, Edenians could change colors like freaking chameleons or something.
why do you care so much to fight against representation ? i don't see the point it doesn't affect you. why not let the people be happy they got what they should of at the start.

----

Bro where do you think people with dark skin get that dark skin? The answer is Africa, African people are the first people on the planet.

This is an Edenian woman:

This is also an Edenian woman:

There is no set or correct skin tone for Edenians.

Edenians are same as being an African or American. Their are black Edenians same as their are Black americans and White africans.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
why do you care so much to fight against representation ? i don't see the point it doesn't affect you. why not let the people be happy they got what they should of at the start.
The only way i'm fighting "representation" is if one of you is an Edenian. If you aren't, i'm doing nothing more than stating facts about the game and its canon.

You can live in your fairy tale where you assign false labels to nonexistent things, but don't get upset at me when I tell you you're wrong.

Bro where do you think people with dark skin get that dark skin? The answer is Africa, African people are the first people on the planet.
Dark skin was an evolution, high melanin concentration as a way to protect the skin from the harsh sun, having a lot of pigmentation doesn't make you black. "Black" is a cultural thing, not just the way a person looks. A dark skinned person isn't automatically black, even if billions of years ago the first man was.

Also, Edenia isn't front Africa or earth, Edenia is from a completely different realm of existence, so I don't even see your point.

Last edited:
Youre absolutely correct. Now tell me which continent EDENIANS come from genius?
Being an edenian is a not a race, it's the place they live
The only way i'm fighting "representation" is if one of you is an Edenian. If you aren't, i'm doing nothing more than stating facts about the game and its canon.

You can live in your fairy tale where you assign false labels to nonexistent things, but don't get upset at me when I tell you you're wrong.

Dark skin was an evolution, high melanin concentration as a way to protect the skin from the harsh sun, having a lot of pigmentation doesn't make you black. "Black" is a cultural thing, not just the way a person looks. A dark skinned person isn't automatically black, even if billions of years ago the first man was.

Also, Edenia isn't front Africa or earth, Edian is from a completely different realm of existence, so I don't even see your point.
Dark skin came from the first people on the planet. A dark skinned person automatically have African DNA.

Brutal Chimney

vaporus punching bag

you are completely missing the point.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Edenians are same as being an African or American. Their are black Edenians same as their are Black americans and White africans.
Edenians are not the same as anything from Earth because they are not from Earth.

Edenia never had a system of labels to denote race because they only have one "race". No Edenian in an MK game has ever said "look at that white Edenian" or "Man she sure is a black Edenian" they only address each other by name or as Edenians. They don't abide by Earth labels because they don't originate from Earthrealm and they have an entirely different culture and social structure than we do.

Calling them black or white is you projecting your values and your beliefs on fictional people, and it is not in fact what they are made to be.

you are completely missing the point.
This is a meaningless statement if you don't reiterate what your "point" is.

zydrate101

Edenians are not the same as anything from Earth because they are not from Earth.

Edenia never had a system of labels to denote race because they only have one "race". No Edenian in an MK game has ever said "look at that white Edenian" or "Man she sure is a black Edenian" they only address each other by name or as Edenians. They don't abide by Earth labels because they don't originate from Earthrealm and they have an entirely different culture and social structure than we do.

Calling them black or white is you projecting your values and your beliefs on fictional people, and it is not in fact what they are made to be.

Also, Edenia isn't front Africa or earth, Edenia is from a completely different realm of existence, so I don't even see your point.
This is a meaningless statement if you don't reiterate what your "point" is.
the only person who sounds upset here is you! and yo fighting words. I'm take my peace cause you really ain't worth none of my breath cause you just don't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.