What's new

Guide - Cryomancer Sub-Zero CRYOMANCER Guide

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
I think I seen somebody downplay unbreakable? Lmao. Also there is nothing wrong with cryo. After hitting f42 1+3, you have to make the read on how they want to get away from you. If they want to jump back after being hit them you can run up and b2 them out of the air for another restand. If the opponent wants to armor then you can use your armor to blow it up or just block. Its all about those reads after f42 grab string hits. If you make the read on the player, their health bar can go fast.

I think I seen somebody downplay unbreakable? Lmao. Also there is nothing wrong with cryo. After hitting f42 1+3, you have to make the read on how they want to get away from you. If they want to jump back after being hit them you can run up and b2 them out of the air for another restand. If the opponent wants to armor then you can use your armor to blow it up or just block. Its all about those reads after f42 grab string hits. If you make the read on the player, their health bar can go fast.
is that good tho? sorta like saying the best cryomancer can do is put it back to a even fight rather then have an advantage.

this is just off the cuff reaction to what you said, im sure there is more.. the problem is after the restand sub doesnt have a lot of reach with fast moves, i fear many characters will just be able to stuff you on whatever you try unless you use armor...at wich point they can bait and just escape.

Mutton

Noob
Wait, Air Hammer restand puts you at plus frames? Is it enough to land an actual mixup (as in, they can't armor through it) or just a bit of frame advantage? Since I'm trying to use Cryomancer for the Kenshi matchup (since Grandmaster and Unbreakable seem to do fuckall against his Kenjustsu variant), and having an ender that lets you do a true mixup would be a godsend.

I'll test it in the lab, see what I can find.

Endeavor

I'll live a villain, before I die a hero.
is that good tho? sorta like saying the best cryomancer can do is put it back to a even fight rather then have an advantage.

this is just off the cuff reaction to what you said, im sure there is more.. the problem is after the restand sub doesnt have a lot of reach with fast moves, i fear many characters will just be able to stuff you on whatever you try unless you use armor...at wich point they can bait and just escape.
What he said, again my major problem with Cryomancer. Again I HIT YOU, why am I in a mix up

Mutton

Noob
Okay, I'm having trouble getting the Air Hammer reset to work constantly. I've only made it work off catching a neutral jump in the corner, and even then it's iffy.

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion

I think it is pretty good because they are forced to guess what you want to do next. The variation isn't for everybody tho. Some players don't like to make constant reads.

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
Pretty much a read is a guess but more educated because of what you seen your opponent react with. Some players don't want to play like that.

Pretty much a read is a guess but more educated because of what you seen your opponent react with. Some players don't want to play like that.
because its not a real way to play. or well, a sub optimal way to play i should say.

god, everytime i see a redeeming quality to cryomancer 2 more negatives show there head.

whatever, ill keep on trying.

perhaps i dont understand read either, to me a read is you see it happening and have enough time to react to it.

the more i keep looking at it the more i think there is at least a couple buffs needed for cryomancer. all he has going for him is some reach, ability to ignore a wakeupgame, and better damage. The damage is on par with most average damage cahracters from what ive seen.

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
There is no Webster dictionary definition for it. But we are pretty much saying the same thing in different ways.

I think cryomancer will be about punishing hard from anywhere on the string. And predicting guessing reading or reacting how the player wants to get away from you.

I don't think it needs buffs. It needs time like any other variation.

So much labbing to be done. Have you tried using air hammer for blowing up armored wakeups? It works pretty good but I need to test it more. Have you ever tried doing an instant air hammer after like a d3 on block? Pretty good mixup but still there is a lot to be learned about this variation

There is no Webster dictionary definition for it. But we are pretty much saying the same thing in different ways.

I think cryomancer will be about punishing hard from anywhere on the string. And predicting guessing reading or reacting how the player wants to get away from you.

I don't think it needs buffs. It needs time like any other variation.

So much labbing to be done. Have you tried using air hammer for blowing up armored wakeups? It works pretty good but I need to test it more. Have you ever tried doing an instant air hammer after like a d3 on block? Pretty good mixup but still there is a lot to be learned about this variation
fundamentally its different, my definition was was the ability to react based on visual data

your definition involved guessing/reading the future.

every character revolves around guessing, reading, and reacting....wich means cryomancer has nothing that everyone doesnt already have.

what he does have is the ability for equally strong midfield and corner game, high meterless damage. and unusual range on a couple unique combos. If we want to talk about what he has outside of base subzero. more overhead options, tho they really need a meter to be good. and the ability to avoid the wakeup guessing game in exchange for a standing guessing game....im not sure if thats better since hes not at any sort of advantage, and the oopponent can do ANYTHING but when they are knocked down they have fewer options.

there is a lot to learn in general, so im hopeful. plus there will be buffs/nerfs/adjustments more then once from NRS im sure.

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
fundamentally its different, my definition was was the ability to react based on visual data

your definition involved guessing/reading the future.

every character revolves around guessing, reading, and reacting....wich means cryomancer has nothing that everyone doesnt already have.

what he does have is the ability for equally strong midfield and corner game, high meterless damage. and unusual range on a couple unique combos. If we want to talk about what he has outside of base subzero. more overhead options, tho they really need a meter to be good. and the ability to avoid the wakeup guessing game in exchange for a standing guessing game....im not sure if thats better since hes not at any sort of advantage, and the oopponent can do ANYTHING but when they are knocked down they have fewer options.

there is a lot to learn in general, so im hopeful. plus there will be buffs/nerfs/adjustments more then once from NRS im sure.
I don't know if every character can get around 40 midscreen. Restand seems like a strong tool tho even if it isn't a lot of plus frames and there is not a lot of restand chars in this game. I think his f12 string could become a good tool in the future. We all have to keep grinding sub zero.

I don't know if every character can get around 40 midscreen. Restand seems like a strong tool tho even if it isn't a lot of plus frames and there is not a lot of restand chars in this game. I think his f12 string could become a good tool in the future. We all have to keep grinding sub zero.
im just not sure if restand is nice if you dont have any plus frames. the wakeup game is more predictable then.

but i agree, grind grind grind

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
Ive sorta been trying to incorporate air hammer into my game but i haven't quite found it yet. Although, cryo is the variation I have spent the least time on

Where do you guys reccomend newer players start? Just focus on like 2-3 combos till you get them down in your sleep? Doing a combo into an iceball seems impossible to me.

Lokheit

Noob
Where do you guys reccomend newer players start? Just focus on like 2-3 combos till you get them down in your sleep? Doing a combo into an iceball seems impossible to me.
Very few combos connect to the regular iceball (1,1 and b1,2) and in the corner (or against females in general) b3,3 works too. This SZ traded MK9 ability to connect iceball from anything for some good mixup tools.

Gilbagz

Joker here~
Hey guys haven't posted much in the last year or so
Been maining Cryo
Variation seems the most honest. No real crazy mix ups, just plays off conditioning and gets high damage for when you make the right reads.
I've started using f1,2,2 alot more off of jump ins
String is only -1 and you have FOREVER to hitconfirm the final 2. As in you can press 2 well after the first 2 has hit and it'll still string into the launcher part. Useful for meterless confirms and when you dont want to give up pressure cuz 1,1, and b1,2 are both really negative on block.
The string lets you play pressure or end in the mostly safe ice burst (not all characs can punish it due to pushback) to catch people trying to poke after blocking f1,2.

Though still trying to decide whether its good to go into the 5050 off of jump ins or use f1,2,2
With b2 being punishable, i'm leaning more towards f1,2,2 to gauge reactions before committing to 50/50s now
Still going to be labbing a lot, but yeah this variation seems to only have damage on the other variations
No real set ups

If f4,2,1+3 actually knocked down it would be nice. Oki is so much stronger in this game, so getting the knockdown would be super beneficial. Ending with slide seems redundant because you give up damage, so if you were going to end in slide it would be better to just use gmaster or unbreakable. Most of the damage comes from the 1+3 ender anyway.

Maybe the restand could be good to avoid the delayed wake up mix up, but even then im not too sure.
Honestly think f4,2,1+3 should be able to knockdown on choice, say add a down input during the animation or something; that or be slightly positive on hit. And normal hammer needs to be sped up cuz in its current state holy crap its useless. Only time I use it is when i misjudge my meter and hitconfirm into normal hammer, which is then blocked...

@Gilbagz

i did notice those properties on F1,2,2 i just hadnt messed with it enough. also, i thought 1,1 and the other was safe on block? its not?

i think if we were just at a slight advantage on hit for F4,2,grab it would be good enough. but thats me.