What's new

Guide - Cryomancer Sub-Zero CRYOMANCER Guide

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Did any of you guys find a good use for his f1,2,2 string ?
no

use 242

24 is -8 and safe and you can confirm it
You would never do 242 if you're not sure the opponent hasn't blocked. Makes 0 sense to jump-in and do 242 or off of neutral.

F122 is used for the F12 which is 0/+1 on block, causing any character who doesn't have 6f moves to be pressured by you, with EX hammer as a threat.

Your go-to string after jump ins is B12/B33 if you're fishing, F4 if you're in the corner and know they'll block.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
You would never do 242 if you're not sure the opponent hasn't blocked. Makes 0 sense to jump-in and do 242 or off of neutral.

F122 is used for the F12 which is 0/+1 on block, causing any character who doesn't have 6f moves to be pressured by you, with EX hammer as a threat.

Your go-to string after jump ins is B12/B33 if you're fishing, F4 if you're in the corner and know they'll block.
my reference wasn't in the manner of using off a jump in

rather, anything f12 can do... other strings do better. Especially mid juggle... where 242 is much better.

Granted, i have used f12 off jump ins to fish for the people pushing buttons after it with b12, so I can't say it is totally bad.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
my reference wasn't in the manner of using off a jump in

rather, anything f12 can do... other strings do better. Especially mid juggle... where 242 is much better.

Granted, i have used f12 off jump ins to fish for the people pushing buttons after it with b12, so I can't say it is totally bad.
The "you can confirm it" part didn't make that obvious.

F12 is your only 0 on block string, it's useful vs some characters, there's a reason he has it.

jharris

I'm not surprised, motherfuckers
hi guys new to the forum, loving sub zero. heres what ive found the best so far.

Cyromancer,

b12 - df2 - f122 - f42 1+3 (28% mid screen, meterless)

corner, b12 - db2(ex) - nj2 - f42 1+3 (40% 1 bar)

b12 -db2(ex) - nj2 - f42 1+3 (35% mid screen, 1 bar)

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
hi guys new to the forum, loving sub zero. heres what ive found the best so far.

Cyromancer,

b12 - df2 - f122 - f42 1+3 (28% mid screen, meterless)

corner, b12 - db2(ex) - nj2 - f42 1+3 (40% 1 bar)

b12 -db2(ex) - nj2 - f42 1+3 (35% mid screen, 1 bar)
Check the actual thread, we already know all this

Derckey

Noob
Hey guys, not sure if this is posted anywhere but in the OP the strongest meterless open space combo is 32%. I've been using one that's 33% :
Back + 1,2 ~ Ice Ball > Jump in 1 or 2 ~ Forward + 1,2,2 > Back + 3 > Run up 4,2,1+3
The timing was tricky to get down on female characters, but it is possible.

Lokheit

Noob
Did any of you guys find a good use for his f1,2,2 string ?
I'm currently practicing a lot with Cryomancer to find tricks that may give it some positives that the other variations are lacking. I'm having some success "whiffing" the first hit of F1,2,2 to connect from a very long distance. The string is safe, the last hit is a bit less safe but if you're using it to reach from long distance it's much harder to exploit.

Something interesting is how fast you can connect the slide after the last hit of the string even after block, and you need super human reflexes to see that torpedo comming (do not abuse it though or opponents will block by prediction), in theory if the opponent starts respecting the possible slide, you could end up being able to connect some overheads instead.

So far it's looking like a safe string with long reach (that unlike other "sliding" punches leaves you at some distance of the opponent as here the reach is from the sword) that could have some potential for mixups from a longer distance.

Still need to test it a lot and play Cryomancer more, I'm not sold yet on the tools of this variation being enough to compensate the lack of clone or UB being able to deal with both zoners and rushdown players, but it's starting to look like there is potential. I'm just not sure yet if the potential is real or just me WANTING to see this variation as competitive lol.

Last edited:

ShArp

Dedicated Broly main
Wait B33 (low starter) + DF2 (Ice ball) is working? I mean I tried practice with Auto-block on, and after B33 there's enough recovery for opponent to block ur upcoming iceball. Or did i missed something?

Killey

Noob
B3,3 xx Ice Ball works in the corner but I think some people were mentioning that it'll work midscreen on female characters. In my experiences if you do it point blank it will combo midscreen but anything outside of close range and they'll be able to block. In those cases you need to used the enhanced version of ice ball for the combo.

From a match up perspective is there any reason to use Cryomancer? I'm not very familiar with NRS games to begin with but outside of the higher damage output I don't see the advantages of using this variation over Grandmaster. The standing resets can be nice but the corner lock down you get with grandmaster seems way better. I can understand using Unbreakable variant for match ups against zoning characters but not really seeing the benefits of Cryomancer.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
B3,3 xx Ice Ball works in the corner but I think some people were mentioning that it'll work midscreen on female characters. In my experiences if you do it point blank it will combo midscreen but anything outside of close range and they'll be able to block. In those cases you need to used the enhanced version of ice ball for the combo.

From a match up perspective is there any reason to use Cryomancer? I'm not very familiar with NRS games to begin with but outside of the higher damage output I don't see the advantages of using this variation over Grandmaster. The standing resets can be nice but the corner lock down you get with grandmaster seems way better. I can understand using Unbreakable variant for match ups against zoning characters but not really seeing the benefits of Cryomancer.
The move is effectively -7 on block vs normals with great pushback, some characters can do absolutely nothing to punish it or eliminate it as a constant threat.

Sage-Of-Light

Student of Nature
I'm currently practicing a lot with Cryomancer to find tricks that may give it some positives that the other variations are lacking. I'm having some success "whiffing" the first hit of F1,2,2 to connect from a very long distance. The string is safe, the last hit is a bit less safe but if you're using it to reach from long distance it's much harder to exploit.

Something interesting is how fast you can connect the slide after the last hit of the string even after block, and you need super human reflexes to see that torpedo comming (do not abuse it though or opponents will block by prediction), in theory if the opponent starts respecting the possible slide, you could end up being able to connect some overheads instead.

So far it's looking like a safe string with long reach (that unlike other "sliding" punches leaves you at some distance of the opponent as here the reach is from the sword) that could have some potential for mixups from a longer distance.

Still need to test it a lot and play Cryomancer more, I'm not sold yet on the tools of this variation being enough to compensate the lack of clone or UB being able to deal with both zoners and rushdown players, but it's starting to look like there is potential. I'm just not sure yet if the potential is real or just me WANTING to see this variation as competitive lol.
hopefully this helps http://testyourmight.com/threads/all-variations-sub-zero-mix-up-reset-combos.50258/page-2#post-1664898

Lokheit

Noob
To be honest when I watched it in the other thread it made me feel the gap between Cryomancer and the other variations was bigger than I though lol. Given how the setup for the reset doesn't use anything exclusive to Cryomancer, the video made me feel much better about Unbreakable. Cryomancer is looking like it can do more damage but has no strategy advantage over the other 2 to get into the situation where you can deliver the combo :S Yeah, I love that F4,2,1+3 leaves them standing in adition to the extra damage as wakeups really harm me, but the problem is all the tools the others have to dominate your opponent that this one doesn't have. I'm still trying hard and not giving up until I feel completly comfortable with it though.

On a more positive note, someone was asking about uses for f1,2,2 and while I can't play until Monday, I'm thinking it could start some good stuff after blocking a jumping special that probably 2,4,2 can't but I have to wait until I can play again to confirm.

Last edited:
Random and off topic but before i dive into this cryomancer tech with you guys am I the only person that has this Classic Sub Skin? I've heard or seen nothing about it

Edit: Klassic Sub was added in the patch.

Last edited:

Repulsar

Noob
To be honest when I watched it in the other thread it made me feel the gap between Cryomancer and the other variations was bigger than I though lol. Given how the setup for the reset doesn't use anything exclusive to Cryomancer, the video made me feel much better about Unbreakable. Cryomancer is looking like it can do more damage but has no strategy advantage over the other 2 to get into the situation where you can deliver the combo :S Yeah, I love that F4,2,1+3 leaves them standing in adition to the extra damage as wakeups really harm me, but the problem is all the tools the others have to dominate your opponent that this one doesn't have. I'm still trying hard and not giving up until I feel completly comfortable with it though.

On a more positive note, someone was asking about uses for f1,2,2 and while I can't play until Monday, I'm thinking it could start some good stuff after blocking a jumping special that probably 2,4,2 can't but I have to wait until I can play again to confirm.

That was me asking about the f1,2,2 string. Call me a fluff guy but the reason that i was asking to begin with was that i really like the animations with his ice swords :p But apart from that i wanted to know if there are some properties of the string that can be useful in cryo's playstyle and tactics. Cryo variation tools are the extra strings and damage so im trying to find something that makes this variation kinda useful comparing to the other two...especially Grandmaster.

Also, thanks for the input :)