What's new

So it has been brought to my attention...

Do you think we are fair in regulating people like children?

• Yes!

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • God no...I mean yes!

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
You made an excellent post.

My only thing is, what happens when you have guys that *aren't* going to go to the next tournament. Or the one after that. Instead, they'd rather just drag down every player who manages to accomplish something, to the point of insulting them personally. And then once that drama dies down, then they insult someone else; or just insult the same player again without bothering to show up and play them.

I thought the stuff going into Anaheim was fun, and well put, because it was all about "what was going to happen at Anaheim". Rather then sitting at home and insulting guys who are working hard to level up and aren't afraid to show up and put their rep on the line, win or lose.

Likewise if you have a beef with someone, you should be able to show up and talk that out in person.. Not just run around dropping bomb after bomb from behind their back or across the internet.

I'm not for rampant thread closings. But if people are going to ask the mods to hold back, they also need to draw a line where competitive spirit stops. Otherwise the boards become a cesspool of negativity and hate. Rather than about leveling up as a community.

The people that talk shit and don't show up for tournaments get put on blast when they don't go. They bury themselves. Mods don't need to do anyhing to them. If some Scorp player says I'm trash and he's gonna show me how its done and hen he NEVER goes to a tournament, he's the one that looks bad. Not me. Just make sure they aren't going all over the forums wherever they go flooding multiple threads with their shit talk. PL hardly ever posts on TYM. He hardly ever makes threads. He had beef with CDjr cause CDjr always talked shit about him and he made a thread that posted nothing but facts and it got closed.

People have a tendancy to make themselves look dumb over time. Time always tells who is legit and who is bogus. We don't need mods acting like George W. Bush making pre-emptive attacks deleting posts and closing threads cause a poster 'might' cross the line. Let them cross it, and then you have evidence and just cause for your actions.

Pros should not be receiving special treatment just because they are good at the game. The rules should be uniform, nobody should be banned or unbanned based on their name...
I think to a certain degree personally, if someone is arguing saying some nonviable tactic is "good" when an seasoned tournament player says it's not, well, you can be the judge on who's more reliable.

ChrisJG

Noob
I think to a certain degree personally, if someone is arguing saying some nonviable tactic is "good" when an seasoned tournament player says it's not, well, you can be the judge on who's more reliable.
Dont get me wrong, pros are more credible when it comes to stuff purely in the game but, nobody is getting banned based on their opinion of a strategy.

Dont get me wrong, pros are more credible when it comes to stuff purely in the game but, nobody is getting banned based on their opinion of a strategy.
I'm not taking about banning, just knowledge. I was referring to the "special treatment" part, as their opinions should be a little bit more valued than some guy using or arguing sub-optimal tactic that really doesn't work just for the sake of argument w/o any evidence or validity.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I will say this much guys.

I'm aware of how shitty this thread makes not only myself look, but how shitty it makes our staff looks. And I can't say time and time again how much I don't want you to look at them any worse for this. This was my decision and my decision alone...it is 100% my views. Do not give these other guys any backlash for my wrongdoings, because they don't deserve it. They work their ASSES off to provide an awesome site for you guys to come to and enjoy yourselves, discussing Mortal Kombat, other fighting games, as well as to promote tournaments to attend in your region, or even just to discuss random things you want to talk about in our off-topic discussions. I've been around a lot of our staff since as early as 2006, and I've seen TYM grind its way to the top, and in no way do I want my thread to jeopardize that by grouping my thoughts with theirs.

HOWEVER.

I think I speak for more than enough people that the drama that takes over this site often is absolutely ridiculous. It's childish shit. I don't care if you get excited by it, this is shit that high schoolers do. A lot of us aren't in high school anymore. Some of the instigators have been out of high school for 10+ years. I don't care if you do this shit on Twitter or Facebook or Myspace or Tumblr or...you get the point. That's fine. But to do it on this site that people come to, so that they can learn some cool stuff about MK, such as combos, strategies, who is the best characters, etc, and have it overshadow that shit...unh unh. No. Just...no. We are not having that.

What we also aren't having is people coming on TYM to undermine this, and bash our staff for keeping the bullshit out of here. No, this wasn't the proper way for a mod to handle it. I will agree 1000% with anyone of you that tells me this. But you know what? Here's why I did this.

If you're going to go off and say that you want us to stop treating you all like children, then stop acting like one. Yeah, this thread is childish. Guess what? This is exactly what you are doing when you make those threads to just blow up someone. Think about that for a second. No, think about that for a good hour. Then get back to me.

We will stop "treating you like children" when you stop "ACTING like children". That's all I gotta say.

CAN I GET AN AMEN?!?!
A Fucking Men

LesMore

Top 8 Injustice Frosty Faustings VII
Why not a sub-forum entitled BLOWUPS

That is regulated like /B/ on 4chan... no mods, anonymous posting the whole nine yards...
I mean this is the freaking internet, freedom for all voices, even the anonymous, the vile and the sweet....

Sometimes the thread closing seems like power-trips...

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
What amazes me is how people complain that moderators can close threads just because they are mods.

Well no shit, do you people even get what a moderator is?

P.S. If you guys want to see bad mods, go to the Assassins creed forums. Here are the following words you cannot say and will probably get you banned:
Pussycat
Shit-Tzu
Cockatoo
Mishit
Shitake
Penis
Balls
Piss-poor
Pee
Anything bad about moderators

Like seriously, the only thing TYM ban for is usually multi-accounting. Anything else is a rare exception.

Can we please stop calling them "pro's"?
Please?

They're just really good MK players. Not a single one lives off of their success.... has an agent..... gets a salary.
They're simply good video game players.
nah, they're pros dude. thats like saying pro football players arent really pros, they are just good at playing football

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Why not a sub-forum entitled BLOWUPS

That is regulated like /B/ on 4chan... no mods, anonymous posting the whole nine yards...
I mean this is the freaking internet, freedom for all voices, even the anonymous, the vile and the sweet....

Sometimes the thread closing seems like power-trips...
This has been tried in the past. It doesn't exist anymore because it didn't stop people from hopping on the rest of the forums to shit.

Gruff757

The Gruff
I will say this much guys.

I'm aware of how shitty this thread makes not only myself look, but how shitty it makes our staff looks. And I can't say time and time again how much I don't want you to look at them any worse for this. This was my decision and my decision alone...it is 100% my views. Do not give these other guys any backlash for my wrongdoings, because they don't deserve it. They work their ASSES off to provide an awesome site for you guys to come to and enjoy yourselves, discussing Mortal Kombat, other fighting games, as well as to promote tournaments to attend in your region, or even just to discuss random things you want to talk about in our off-topic discussions. I've been around a lot of our staff since as early as 2006, and I've seen TYM grind its way to the top, and in no way do I want my thread to jeopardize that by grouping my thoughts with theirs.

HOWEVER.

I think I speak for more than enough people that the drama that takes over this site often is absolutely ridiculous. It's childish shit. I don't care if you get excited by it, this is shit that high schoolers do. A lot of us aren't in high school anymore. Some of the instigators have been out of high school for 10+ years. I don't care if you do this shit on Twitter or Facebook or Myspace or Tumblr or...you get the point. That's fine. But to do it on this site that people come to, so that they can learn some cool stuff about MK, such as combos, strategies, who is the best characters, etc, and have it overshadow that shit...unh unh. No. Just...no. We are not having that.

What we also aren't having is people coming on TYM to undermine this, and bash our staff for keeping the bullshit out of here. No, this wasn't the proper way for a mod to handle it. I will agree 1000% with anyone of you that tells me this. But you know what? Here's why I did this.

If you're going to go off and say that you want us to stop treating you all like children, then stop acting like one. Yeah, this thread is childish. Guess what? This is exactly what you are doing when you make those threads to just blow up someone. Think about that for a second. No, think about that for a good hour. Then get back to me.

We will stop "treating you like children" when you stop "ACTING like children". That's all I gotta say.

CAN I GET AN AMEN?!?!

Vocket

Day 1 Phenomenal Teth-Adam Player
1. Top player writes lengthy post blowing player, TO, or stream.
2. Gets spammed with popcorn.gif and random images with very little discussion.
3. Mod randomly closes thread in between with no/poor explanation
4. Mod randomly opens thread with no/poor explanation
5. Additional thread pops up confessing crime, writing apologies, or complaining about the thread if it was closed or spammed.
6. Someone leaves and the cycle begins anew

I think we're missing a rare attempt at discussint the threshold itself by whining about too much or too little modding. that's what i'm going to do with this post:

Many people know i push for more totalitarian mods, but here are the concessions that i am willing to make:

What should be moderated, deleted, closed, etc:
1) Anything that explicitly breaks the rules. This one's obvious.
2) Anything that seeks to put anyone down in a non-competitive way. This is the wrong forum for that shit.
3) Anything that intentionally shits on a universally good cause for arbitrary reasons (generally called trolling, used in the proper sense, not the stupidass idea people have of trolling on this site). One example is if someone were to say on 9.95 's "Fat Kombat" thread "oh hey look at me i'm losing weight too, give me likes" or something. Alternatively, x5iVE_STAR 's posts on this thread http://testyourmight.com/threads/please-help-jamessmk-quit-smoking.28033/
4) Anything directly against the community (not bold for a reason). Now this one;s interesting because there's a blurry distinction between people like AU_IM_DIGIMON who bitch and moan about legitimate issues the game has, and people who come just to talk trash. I think the former is fine, but the latter is not.
5) Any attempt to derail legitimate game discussion. The recent example is with the D1~Spear thread, but there are countless other examples.

What should be left alone:
1) Game discussion, things that people come here for, obvious stuff (procedurally posted).
2) Call outs. These should be careful not to be personally insulting (if they are they should be met with a warning or whatever point system... thing the rules mention), but be explicit in that they're calling someone out for game-based reasons. This is what creates hype. The distinction here is Perfect Legend 's recent thread calls out gross, that's fine, Pig Of The Hut 's thread before Dallas last year calling REO cancer should have been met with a warning because the content of the thread raised a legitimate issue, but was still an over the top personal insult, The swarms of people calling for GGA 16 Bit to be fired, lynched, banned, etc should have been heavily modderated (if not banned) because of the personal attack.
3) Obvious humor. personal opinion, but i dont think anyone will disagree. That being said a lot of different people have different senses of humor. members should attempt to show courtesy to those who may be offended. sortof an honor system thing if you ask me.

i think that's it so far, if anyone else has any thought on this ...

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
^you see, that ideology that somehow you know things better than "most other people" is what starts arguments. Also, Digi totally didn't just trash the game, he trashed US.

Edit: I'm so against totalitarian modding. If I wanted more of that I know which forum to go back to.

^you see, that ideology that somehow you know things better than "most other people" is what starts arguments. Also, Digi totally didn't just trash the game, he trashed US.

Edit: I'm so against totalitarian modding. If I wanted more of that I know which forum to go back to.
what are you talking about on the "most other people" thing?
Most people on the site are just bickering aimlessly, so yeah, by setting bright-lines i am doing more than most. If people dont like that my arguments are grounded and clear then oh well.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
what are you talking about on the "most other people" thing?
Most people on the site are just bickering aimlessly, so yeah, by setting bright-lines i am doing more than most. If people dont like that my arguments are grounded and clear then oh well.
You know, the whole "community downplaying" thing. When people read "considering most people here don't understand frame data" and other similar things, its kind of a turn off. I would guess that if you come here you don't really want to see stuff like that. It places the person saying it on some imaginary pedestal that needs to be held up by insulting others(indirectly or not). In your case, your definition of trolling differs from what others here say(I guess?). I see your argument, but I don't have to agree with it. How about we leave it at that?

You know, the whole "community downplaying" thing. When people read "considering most people here don't understand frame data" and other similar things, its kind of a turn off. I would guess that if you come here you don't really want to see stuff like that. It places the person saying it on some imaginary pedestal that needs to be held up by insulting others(indirectly or not). In your case, your definition of trolling differs from what others here say(I guess?). I see your argument, but I don't have to agree with it. How about we leave it at that?
oh, on the trolling thing. yeah most people on here thing trolling means to insult. that simply is not true:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

It's not about making money or getting paid or stupid deals or agents, can't believe some of are lashing out because you feel "offended" in a sense and are just degrading gaming to make it seem worthless just because you're not at the said level, yet.

REO and other high level elite players, not "Pros" are on par with any high level individual in any activity or sport because they've achieved mastery in their domain, so obviously they know what they're doing, and their knowledge should be valued because of the time and dedication they've put in and proven.

As opposed to some Average Joe off the street or some random player that decides to throw a football around or go play online casually against people he/she runs into Player or Ranked matches, or get drunk on the couch and mash some buttons.

The person that has taken their sport, activity, etc, above and beyond should be more reputable.