What's new

So it has been brought to my attention...

Do you think we are fair in regulating people like children?

• Yes!

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • God no...I mean yes!

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You're simply wrong though. as @zoidberg said, a professional by definition must do something as their PROFESSION. I can be the best sleeper in the world but if i dont do it for cash then i'm not a professional. Furthermore, if the best MK player makes at most 55K then he may be a professional, but that would mean that he is the only one. there are ZERO players other than REO who are even close to being anywhere in consideration of what it means to be a pro. But even REO probably doesnt make enough for that consideration once expenses, taxes, etc are factored in. You should stop arguing this because you are wrong on all counts. I have given you two counterexamples that fit your constantly changing criteria and you still refuse to understand that a professional is more than someone who is good at something. Any further argument is now unnecessary and will only prove to show that you are unreasonable and someone whose input is not worth entertaining at all. good day
oh my god. yes i know. if they dont make money they arent a pro bla bla bla. i dont give a fuck about how much money anyone makes. when i say pro, im calling them that based on their skills not their money. call it whatever you want but that is what i mean. pro may be the wrong word but whatever, u knew what i meant from the beginning

Noob
THTB This thread was obviously made out of frustration, but it gives us the opportunity to have an open dialogue with the members about how moderating is done and what is going on.

MK9 is definitely in it's waning months. The game is 2 years old, almost everything is known about it. Players are definitely getting a little anty and stir crazy. It's not surprising. I saw this same exact cycle happen when UMK3 began to have less people playing it on XBL. Then again with MKDC...as the players left the game, the remaining players got bored. Now, it's happening with MK9.

Here's what happens. Players get bored...they don't want to give up being on the forum, but at the same time, there is less and less to talk about game-wise. Instead, they have to talk about other things. Many times this means resorting to calling out, putting on blast, trash talk, off topic discussions, creating drama, creating hype, flaming, name calling... so on and so forth. It's a pretty natural cycle actually.

I honestly expect that it will begin again with the release of Injustice.

The thing is, some of the "secondary discussion" categories are fine... and some are not. Calling out for the sake of creating a little hype or some rivalry is ok. Calling out so that you can name call, be insulting, or otherwise denigrate another member is COMPLETELY out of line and those people should expect to get infracted/warned/banned...and they should expect their threads to be closed as well.

Drama is another problem our community faces when players get bored. It's one thing to have an open discussion or debate with someone or with multiple people. It's another thing entirely to create your own personal version of a Jerry Springer show just so that you can cause unrest in the community, piss people off, give yourself reason to otherwise argue/defame/cause problems with other people. If you're bored, then don't bother creating unnecessary drama, just join a debate forum and go have fun. Sometimes, as a moderator, it even feels as if members have created threads to purposely get closed so that they can immediately create another thread to call out the "illuminati". How ridiculous is that? But it's happened!

We have even had members "leave" our community because they claim that without the drama, the forum is boring! But the forum WASN'T boring when the game still had things to learn.

Are things over-moderated? Maybe... but it's the natural cycle. When Injustice comes out then there will be less to moderate because people will be engaged in tech talk, legit questions, learning the game, and game discussion as opposed to the current state of MK9 where it's all about drama.

So yeah, maybe the level of moderation has risen due to the content that the site is producing at the moment...but it's necessary when the focus of conversation shifts from game related to topics created out of boredom that stray outside the context of the game.

Momentum

Proud owner of the briefcase hitbox
THTB This thread was obviously made out of frustration, but it gives us the opportunity to have an open dialogue with the members about how moderating is done and what is going on.

MK9 is definitely in it's waning months. The game is 2 years old, almost everything is known about it. Players are definitely getting a little anty and stir crazy. It's not surprising. I saw this same exact cycle happen when UMK3 began to have less people playing it on XBL. Then again with MKDC...as the players left the game, the remaining players got bored. Now, it's happening with MK9.

Here's what happens. Players get bored...they don't want to give up being on the forum, but at the same time, there is less and less to talk about game-wise. Instead, they have to talk about other things. Many times this means resorting to calling out, putting on blast, trash talk, off topic discussions, creating drama, creating hype, flaming, name calling... so on and so forth. It's a pretty natural cycle actually.

The thing is, some of the "secondary discussion" categories are fine... and some are not. Calling out for the sake of creating a little hype or some rivalry is ok. Calling out so that you can name call, be insulting, or otherwise denigrate another member is COMPLETELY out of line and those people should expect to get infracted/warned/banned...and they should expect their threads to be closed as well.

Drama is another problem our community faces when players get bored. It's one thing to have an open discussion or debate with someone or with multiple people. It's another thing entirely to create your own personal version of a Jerry Springer show just so that you can cause unrest in the community, piss people off, give yourself reason to otherwise argue/defame/cause problems with other people. If you're bored, then don't bother creating unnecessary drama, just join a debate forum and go have fun. Sometimes, as a moderator, it even feels as if members have created threads to purposely get closed so that they can immediately create another thread to call out the "illuminati". How ridiculous is that? But it's happened!

We have even had members "leave" our community because they claim that without the drama, the forum is boring! But the forum WASN'T boring when the game still had things to learn.

Are things over-moderated? Maybe... but it's the natural cycle. When Injustice comes out then there will be less to moderate because people will be engaged in tech talk, legit questions, learning the game, and game discussion as opposed to the current state of MK9 where it's all about drama.

So yeah, maybe the level of moderation has risen due to the content that the site is producing at the moment...but it's necessary when the focus of conversation shifts from game related to topics created out of boredom that stray outside the context of the game.
Jesus that got me so hype for injustice

Phil, i agree with everything except for the text i show in red. Some players like myself have been finding tech but arent willing to put it on here because either people shit on it or noone cares (an example is when i posted a new max damage easy to do corner combo with kenshi and everyone complained that it built under 4% of a single bar of meter less than the current combo that was frustratingly difficult to do). So instead there's an incentive to save tech for tournament (like i'm doing for vxg with tech that puts lao back at #1 in my opinion) or for flashy combo videos that take more time to compile. Generally speaking though i dont think this game had been tapped more than 20% (yeah, bold claim, i know, but if you want further explanation on this i can give it).
Otherwise, again, i agree with what you're saying on the whole and would like to further discuss this topic.

Furthermore, i had a rather lengthy post on the issue above as well. I sorta feel like the topic of how moderation is done and how it should be done should be its own thread since this one has been heavily derailed with the "pro" discussion (i apologize for my input on that, it seems only to have been a waste of space and time) and other things. Such a thread should be carefully moderated so that discussion on this highly important issue is not derailed. that's just my opinion though, idk if you would agree to such a discussion.

Noob
Phil, i agree with everything except for the text i show in red. Some players like myself have been finding tech but arent willing to put it on here because either people shit on it or noone cares (an example is when i posted a new max damage easy to do corner combo with kenshi and everyone complained that it built under 4% of a single bar of meter less than the current combo that was frustratingly difficult to do). So instead there's an incentive to save tech for tournament (like i'm doing for vxg with tech that puts lao back at #1 in my opinion) or for flashy combo videos that take more time to compile. Generally speaking though i dont think this game had been tapped more than 20% (yeah, bold claim, i know, but if you want further explanation on this i can give it).
Otherwise, again, i agree with what you're saying on the whole and would like to further discuss this topic.

Furthermore, i had a rather lengthy post on the issue above as well. I sorta feel like the topic of how moderation is done and how it should be done should be its own thread since this one has been heavily derailed with the "pro" discussion (i apologize for my input on that, it seems only to have been a waste of space and time) and other things. Such a thread should be carefully moderated so that discussion on this highly important issue is not derailed. that's just my opinion though, idk if you would agree to such a discussion.

Players have been saving "tech" for tournament forever... and when they use it effectively it's accepted... but your point is well taken. I can't stand when people respond with "Lawl" or "GTFO noob" when new tech is posted rather than take the time to explain that it's not new tech or why it isn't useful tech and then the ensuing discussion about it so that the rest of the forum can learn from a constructive discussion.

With regards to the "pro" thing... not the thread for it, but all threads go through a level of tangential discussion.

Tim Static

Adminerator
I still just can't believe anyone who posts new tech, or ideas, or combo vids, etc etc etc would be upset by forum trolls that for the most part, have never been to a tourney in their whole lives.

If people are that fragile, I don't even understand how they could perform at an actual tourney, elbow to elbow with their opponents, with people watching, sometime streamed to hundred to thousands of people. I mean, really?

Noob
I still just can't believe anyone who posts new tech, or ideas, or combo vids, etc etc etc would be upset by forum trolls that for the most part, have never been to a tourney in their whole lives.

If people are that fragile, I don't even understand how they could perform at an actual tourney, elbow to elbow with their opponents, with people watching, sometime streamed to hundred to thousands of people. I mean, really?

Lack of arcade experience. Jockeying for position on a cabinet builds nerves if you learn how to do it. LOL

Tim IS right however. When you post on a forum, you have to do so with the knowledge that you're opening yourself up to criticism. In this situation, the old saying holds true, "If you're afraid of the answer, don't ask the question."

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart

I think whats mainly being referred to is top players shooting other's tech down. That being said people need to grow some balls. If you think something may work dont worry about others opinion on it, use it in tourney/casuals yourself and if it works it works. There may be some things I do with Baraka that other Baraka players may think unwise, but it works for me so why should I stop doing it? FGs are all about adaptation, and the key to adaptation is to know when you need it and when you don't.

I dont care about trolls, but when the character mod and other known players shit on your tech because its not what they already had up or they're not used to that's waq. Again the example i'm citing is a confirmed max damage combo whos ease is optimal and there's no chance of negative edge inputting the wrong special as opposed to an already posted combo that does 1% less, is easily droppable in 3 points and negative edge makes the end which is where the damage comes from fail 99% of the time. that's pretty substantial if you ask me.

Actually a "PRO" anything gets a paycheck no matter what. Whether he sits the bench or is out on the field playing. To my knowledge there are zero pro-players at MK presently. Top players are no different than pool hustlers as they currently play
lol yes. read the above post. we already had this arguement

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Actually a "PRO" anything gets a paycheck no matter what. Whether he sits the bench or is out on the field playing. To my knowledge there are zero pro-players at MK presently. Top players are no different than pool hustlers as they currently play
Wow James, when I saw you responded to this thread, I feared the worst. Thought you were about to put TYM on blast. Was about to be sad.

Tim Static

Adminerator
I dont care about trolls, but when the character mod and other known players shit on your tech because its not what they already had up or they're not used to that's waq. Again the example i'm citing is a confirmed max damage combo whos ease is optimal and there's no chance of negative edge inputting the wrong special as opposed to an already posted combo that does 1% less, is easily droppable in 3 points and negative edge makes the end which is where the damage comes from fail 99% of the time. that's pretty substantial if you ask me.
The part of this that screams out to me is what you said about the character mod. Please let me know about this kind of stuff, please. that isnt' cool.

aj1701

Noob
If you're going to go off and say that you want us to stop treating you all like children, then stop acting like one. Yeah, this thread is childish. Guess what? This is exactly what you are doing when you make those threads to just blow up someone. Think about that for a second. No, think about that for a good hour. Then get back to me.
You don't get the right to scold others for being childish then turn around and do it yourself. If you really want things to stop, then you need to NEVER have a mod acting childish on this site. You guys set the tone, and if people come here and see mods acting childish, even once, it completely removes the legitimacy of the staff saying no more childish behavior.

I haven't had run-ins with the mods here, nor have I been infracted or anything. I'm just posting this as a neutral observer; I don't like the drama BS either.

I just want to add too, that I think part of the purpose of this is to get people to offline tournaments. If it is, I just want to throw out that twice I was set to go and book a hotel, flight, everything, and twice it was a lead mod posting something on this site shitting on online players that instantly changed my mind.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
You don't get the right to scold others for being childish then turn around and do it yourself. If you really want things to stop, then you need to NEVER have a mod acting childish on this site. You guys set the tone, and if people come here and see mods acting childish, even once, it completely removes the legitimacy of the staff saying no more childish behavior.
The point of acting childish was to get a point across...it looks stupid. I sure as hell looked stupid doing it, right?

aj1701

Noob
The point of acting childish was to get a point across...it looks stupid. I sure as hell looked stupid doing it, right?
Let me put it to you this way; if you were an employee in an office where there was inappropriate behavior going on, do you think your manager should be inappropriate to get the point across about inappropriate behavior? Or do you think they'd act like an adult and reasonably discuss the issue and clarify the rules?

Let me put it to you this way; if you were an employee in an office where there was inappropriate behavior going on, do you think your manager should be inappropriate to get the point across about inappropriate behavior? Or do you think they'd act like an adult and reasonably discuss the issue and clarify the rules?
we dont get paid to be on tym. In a job they want productivity to be maximized and time wasting to be minimized. it's a different natured relationship

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
They should, but there's been times, I've honestly seen, where it just doesn't work that way lol. But no, I agree with what you're saying.

The problem is, though, no one here will legitimately care about it if I be reasonable since the internet is involved and this is simply a forum about video games.

aj1701

Noob
we dont get paid to be on tym. In a job they want productivity to be maximized and time wasting to be minimized. it's a different natured relationship
Being paid is irrelevant; I'm talking about effectively managing groups of people, the same psychology applies whether the mods are paid or not. Its about human tendencies and authority figures.

They should, but there's been times, I've honestly seen, where it just doesn't work that way lol. But no, I agree with what you're saying.

The problem is, though, no one here will legitimately care about it if I be reasonable since the internet is involved and this is simply a forum about video games.
Not being childish won't make everyone fall in line, but being childish will cause things to be worse, I think. This is just my opinion, just saying think about it. Like I said, I personally don't have a problem with how the site is run. If it starts being run a way I don't like, I can just leave.