What's new

Match-up Discussion Sinestro Matchup Discussion

JaredL

Aww shit <REDACTED DUE TO FEELINGS> its Shapzam
i think this might be a pretty big deal. if you can charge trait full screen and have a punish to her only full screen option then we have a way to get trait then safely attack/punish her
She doesn't need full screen options. She needs to block one rock or one fireball, then she dashes forward, and shes in slide range.

LEGEND

YES!
She doesn't need full screen options. She needs to block one rock or one fireball, then she dashes forward, and shes in slide range.
well neither do you exactly, the idea here would be to build trait so you can deal with her. And full screen is out of range of the slide and gives you time to react to anything she might try to do. So that leaves here one option if she wants to hit you out of trait asap and that option is now punishable

Not trying to make a case that the MU isn't terrible, just trying to find ways to win

I was messing around in the Lab with Frost's slide on playback.

Turns you, you can stuff her slide on reaction from a little less than max distance with a simple 3. Depending on the distance, one of three things will happen:

1) She'll eat the full 9% from the 3 and get pushed back out to mid-screen. I've tried linking the 3 to shackles but I can't get it down. That may be something other people can pull off though. If we can get 3-shackles down, then a Frost player has to take into account that 7% damage and getting up close to Sinestro may not be worth the 9% damage from 3 and whatever combo you want from shackles.

2) She'll trade. You will take 7% and get knocked down but she'll take 9% and get pushed back to mid-screen. You'll also be the first to your feet, so consider a J2 or shackles as she wakes up.

3) You'll actually flipkick right over the slide and avoid all damage what so ever. You'll both be at pretty much neutral ground following the move.

So now we have a Frost that is free to trait charge from full-screen, can be punished with shackles following ground ice for more trait charge. Her projectiles aren't anything to fear and once they get into range for the slide, you can be ready to knock them back out of range with 3. Worst case scenario you block and grab, or block and try the D1 mix up. The match up is getting better.

Fromundaman

I write too much.
I was going to mention the Axe of terror as well. That being said thanks for sharing the standing 3 thing! That will help a lot!

Maybe I won't need to pick up a new character for her after all...

Fromundaman

I write too much.
Quick question: Does anyone have any advice on punishing Nightwing?

His staff stance seems ridiculously safe, and if I ever get pushed to the corner it's hell getting back out since he seems to get back in free when I pushblock.

Also can I punish his ground staff projectile at all? I was having trouble doing it even with trait out yesterday. Granted it was online but yeah, playing a good Nightwing I got blown up and wasn't really sure how to deal with it.

JaredL

Aww shit <REDACTED DUE TO FEELINGS> its Shapzam
Quick question: Does anyone have any advice on punishing Nightwing?

His staff stance seems ridiculously safe, and if I ever get pushed to the corner it's hell getting back out since he seems to get back in free when I pushblock.

Also can I punish his ground staff projectile at all? I was having trouble doing it even with trait out yesterday. Granted it was online but yeah, playing a good Nightwing I got blown up and wasn't really sure how to deal with it.
Trade with it. His does 5% yours does 6%

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
well neither do you exactly, the idea here would be to build trait so you can deal with her. And full screen is out of range of the slide and gives you time to react to anything she might try to do. So that leaves here one option if she wants to hit you out of trait asap and that option is now punishable

Not trying to make a case that the MU isn't terrible, just trying to find ways to win
I was messing around in the Lab with Frost's slide on playback.

Turns you, you can stuff her slide on reaction from a little less than max distance with a simple 3. Depending on the distance, one of three things will happen:

1) She'll eat the full 9% from the 3 and get pushed back out to mid-screen. I've tried linking the 3 to shackles but I can't get it down. That may be something other people can pull off though. If we can get 3-shackles down, then a Frost player has to take into account that 7% damage and getting up close to Sinestro may not be worth the 9% damage from 3 and whatever combo you want from shackles.

2) She'll trade. You will take 7% and get knocked down but she'll take 9% and get pushed back to mid-screen. You'll also be the first to your feet, so consider a J2 or shackles as she wakes up.

3) You'll actually flipkick right over the slide and avoid all damage what so ever. You'll both be at pretty much neutral ground following the move.

So now we have a Frost that is free to trait charge from full-screen, can be punished with shackles following ground ice for more trait charge. Her projectiles aren't anything to fear and once they get into range for the slide, you can be ready to knock them back out of range with 3. Worst case scenario you block and grab, or block and try the D1 mix up. The match up is getting better.
you guys combined is exactly how i think and approach this

great stuff

I learned a lot about the "3" thing today

Pig Of The Hut

Is there a worse match up in the game than Sinestro Killer frost? Its like 9-1 to KF.

Her slide goes around all of sinestros zoning, her ground spike stops any attempt at ring charging very abruptly. And her projectiles trade for much greater damage.

Sinestro has nothing on her. His slow unsafe strings don't exactly work against a blocked slide. His zoning doesn't work against a slide which goes under all his fireballs at any range and goes past the rock.

This is so one sided it hurts.
i actually played this MU last night and i was confused as hell also. All i could really do was the usual go for grabs on blocked slides and MB B3 it on reaction if i could. I did manage to get trait off by making the frost player respect trait cancels, and that helped a little until the trait ran out

The first time i played this MU i got rocked though, had to learn the hard way that you can't use any of sinestro's specials at neutral without risking a huge chunk of your life. I'm still not sure what the best course of action is, right now my gameplan would be to just get in and go for D1's and through mix-ups and build trait whenever you can

Pig Of The Hut
WoundCowboy
Have either of you played this MU much?
for ufgt ive focused on NOTHING last 2 days but his worst MUs (percieved ) Frost, Batman, Aquaman, Black Adam

I have hella news on this FROST MU

FIRST OF ALL

1. CHARGE ALL DAMN DAY
2. Charging makes her want to ICE SPIKE YOU (thats what you want bad)
3. Block ice spike and punish w Shackles (4-5) frame window. Punish with either
- Boulder MB Fear Blast charge
- Boulder MB Fear Blast MB
- Boulder
- Fear Blast
- Trait FB MB
- TRait FB mb Trait FB mb trait fear blast mb

ALWAYS CHARGE TRAIT TO BAIT DASHES AND ICE SPIKES

Blocked Slide:
Either throw
Arachnid MB trait
Jumpover 3 axe
Trait b13 arachnid mb trait
b2 throw
b213

***If you have Trait then frost can do NOTHING after a slide and you have free will. Itll stop her parry

AA her air dash cross ups w "3"

ALWAYS STAY in max slide range and whiff punish with Sinestro 33%-37% BNB

Also Another trick you can do against frosts that think they are cute by dodging interactbales is TRAIT SHOT after you are in the air and about to throw an interactable. I even got a shackle once after hitting them :)

Use your tools of whiff b213 and let 3 hit them or 2 on hit and use the +

Pig Of The Hut

i'm having serious trouble with black adam. Got any pointers Pig Of The Hut WoundCowboy
Adam smokes u = shackles like I wrote above for frost

Dive kick = d1 shackles

Empty jump back 3 to bit DK to hit him out of

Always build trait and cancel to block lighting. When trait is out rush him down and remember his AA is pure shit

Never block low unless he does a string ok block other than b 23 cuse he might end w lightning
This MU is tough but always go for trait

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
i'm having serious trouble with black adam. Got any pointers Pig Of The Hut WoundCowboy
So far my strategies against him are similar to what Pig has mentioned for Frost. Bait his divekicks with trait charge and MB3 him as he is sailing through the air. If you block the divekick you can go for a throw or F2D1, and sometimes even punish with d1 shackles. Black magic is punished by shackles. FB can also aa him sometimes but it is riskier.

ErrantElement

There's no stopping what can't be stopped
I could use some helpful tips in regards to the Superman and Flash match ups.

Anything any fellow Sinestro Corpsmen can share in regards to how they deal with these two characters when pitted against skilled players would be greatly appreciated.

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
Btw never boulder without trait vs frost unless she's in air

After the BnB how do you feel about the Doomsday MU?

I ran a couple sets against a buddy of mine and it seemed that it was pretty even if Sinestro can keep DD out and make him work for his damage and if you can avoid him while his trait is up and running.

To me this is a very, "I have to make every move count and not screw up anything or I'm screwed" type of MU.

Against ransoms online I can outzone them and they freeze up but against someone competent it is a bitch.

So do you guys feel there are any stages whose interactables noticeably affect match ups negatively or positively? It seems like some stages like the Hall of Justice's constantly reappearing mini tanks(no idea what they're called) could give characters who might have trouble getting in a useful projectiles, while other's like Atlantis have object's like the tablet they could bounce off of. Are there any stages you think Sinestro should avoid or try to fight on atm?

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
So do you guys feel there are any stages whose interactables noticeably affect match ups negatively or positively? It seems like some stages like the Hall of Justice's constantly reappearing mini tanks(no idea what they're called) could give characters who might have trouble getting in a useful projectiles, while other's like Atlantis have object's like the tablet they could bounce off of. Are there any stages you think Sinestro should avoid or try to fight on atm?

If I'm going up against a gadget character I am going heavy object ridden stages all day long. Every time I get close to an interactable I throw them like no tomorrow. You can easily do 60-80% damage just off interactables.

I also like to have my back to the corner if there is an interactable just to have a safety net.

Now, if I am playing against another power character I try to get levels that have 50/50 interactables.