What's new

Match-up Discussion Sinestro Matchup Discussion

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Yeah I've seen your posts and read the Cyborg threads a lot.

most pad players on here i guess.

I'm thinking of posting a vid of me doing the IAF so people can here how fast im inputing the command.

btw do you have XBL?
Ill make a vid tonight to try to help

Tyram

Noob
Ill make a vid tonight to try to help
bro thank you so much for the help.

Do you have XBL as well? can you play as sinestro and help me with the match up?

I have a Square gate stick btw. do you as well? or octo?

Also both of you. my XBL tag is: Tyram SRK but my friend list is full so just send me a message on XBL and i will friend request you when i get home.

we can run matches

Pig Of The Hut

bro thank you so much for the help.

Do you have XBL as well? can you play as sinestro and help me with the match up?

I have a Square gate stick btw. do you as well? or octo?

Also both of you. my XBL tag is: Tyram SRK but my friend list is full so just send me a message on XBL and i will friend request you when i get home.

we can run matches
Sounds good ill add u tonight

I notice when I play against people and I zone em to death, almost 80% of the time they pick Deathstroke on the rematch and try to 'spam' me back. Does that happen a lot?
I used to get beat in a zone war but the shackles is a good way to thwart that, and if I can get the trait charged up its easier to close in and get a combo in to have the upper hand in the zone war. I still consider myself a beginner for sure since I don't think I've played against a really good Deathstroke player but I hope the tip helps.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
First off, ggs Pig Of The Hut! You really helped me level up my Deathstroke. While my initial statements were proven wrong (which makes sense, because I was practicing against ai reversals), I did discover a ton of insight into the MU.

First off, if I could ever get my low-shots to count as a reversal after blocking a boulder, they would always connect. I started saving my meter for blocked boulders because I knew that would be a free 11% damage. I would say Sinestro just should never use boulder in this MU, but without it you have nothing to prevent me from getting into optimal range, which brings me to my next discovery...

Sinestro's Fear Blast can be ducked from around midscreen and closer. As long as you didn't have meter, I knew I could dash/jump my way into that distance and unload low-shots freely. They seemed to beat out the start-up on boulder, so I could literally just spam them without fear of repercussion.

I also discovered that MB Fear Blast was kind of a frame trap, which is why I always continued to block whether it connected or not. You seemed to catch on and stopped burning all your meter on back-to-back MB Fear Blasts, mixing up standard and MB versions to keep me out. I knew if you didn't have meter, I could get into that optimal range mentioned above.

One thing I didn't really get to explore extensively was backdashing your attacks. I believe I managed to backdash a few boulders, but now that I know a blocked boulder is a free hit, I'm not sure it's worth it. I can backdash Cyborg's shots, so I'm sure it's possible to backdash Fear Blast, though I'm also sure it would be incredibly inconsistent.

Long story short, the Deathstroke/Sinestro MU seems to come down to who can take the life lead. Once one of them has to work their way in, the match is basically over, save for a lucky break or two. They seem to be roughly equally matched when it comes to zoning, with Sinestro maybe having a noticeable advantage. Overall, I've got to say this MU is a 5/5.

That's about all I've got for now. I'm really looking forward to getting in some more games with you. I'd yet to fight a Nightwing who even kind of knew what they were doing, so I had no idea what to do against yours. I look forward to learning that MU.

Pig Of The Hut

First off, ggs Pig Of The Hut! You really helped me level up my Deathstroke. While my initial statements were proven wrong (which makes sense, because I was practicing against ai reversals), I did discover a ton of insight into the MU.

First off, if I could ever get my low-shots to count as a reversal after blocking a boulder, they would always connect. I started saving my meter for blocked boulders because I knew that would be a free 11% damage. I would say Sinestro just should never use boulder in this MU, but without it you have nothing to prevent me from getting into optimal range, which brings me to my next discovery...

Sinestro's Fear Blast can be ducked from around midscreen and closer. As long as you didn't have meter, I knew I could dash/jump my way into that distance and unload low-shots freely. They seemed to beat out the start-up on boulder, so I could literally just spam them without fear of repercussion.

I also discovered that MB Fear Blast was kind of a frame trap, which is why I always continued to block whether it connected or not. You seemed to catch on and stopped burning all your meter on back-to-back MB Fear Blasts, mixing up standard and MB versions to keep me out. I knew if you didn't have meter, I could get into that optimal range mentioned above.

One thing I didn't really get to explore extensively was backdashing your attacks. I believe I managed to backdash a few boulders, but now that I know a blocked boulder is a free hit, I'm not sure it's worth it. I can backdash Cyborg's shots, so I'm sure it's possible to backdash Fear Blast, though I'm also sure it would be incredibly inconsistent.

Long story short, the Deathstroke/Sinestro MU seems to come down to who can take the life lead. Once one of them has to work their way in, the match is basically over, save for a lucky break or two. They seem to be roughly equally matched when it comes to zoning, with Sinestro maybe having a noticeable advantage. Overall, I've got to say this MU is a 5/5.

That's about all I've got for now. I'm really looking forward to getting in some more games with you. I'd yet to fight a Nightwing who even kind of knew what they were doing, so I had no idea what to do against yours. I look forward to learning that MU.

I cant really say this any better, you took almost every word and thought out of my mouth. I think there is a slight zonign adv for sinestro here but a rush down adv for right now w deathstroke. Your rush down was tight. Im not sure how sinestro is truly suppose to play footsies in sweep yet in this mu. First thing i need to explore is punishing your df3, that is first priority lol. I can w lex and others but sinestro feels chunky punishing it but ill figure out what to do.

Your definitely the best ds ive played man, look forward to many more series in the future. I had to take a break after 2 hours lol

EVB SomeCubanGuy

*Hissssssssssss*
I cant really say this any better, you took almost every word and thought out of my mouth. I think there is a slight zonign adv for sinestro here but a rush down adv for right now w deathstroke. Your rush down was tight. Im not sure how sinestro is truly suppose to play footsies in sweep yet in this mu. First thing i need to explore is punishing your df3, that is first priority lol. I can w lex and others but sinestro feels chunky punishing it but ill figure out what to do.

Your definitely the best ds ive played man, look forward to many more series in the future. I had to take a break after 2 hours lol
His DF3 gets full combo punished by B13 everytime. Timing is kinda strict though. An easier punish is 111~Shackles too.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
karaokelove i actually did record us but man its honestly a bunch of rocks and shells lol
Ha, that sounds about right. Still, that's basically what the MU comes down to. Maybe you could upload one of the later MU's where I started to learn how to get into optimal range, and you were learning how to counter my attempts. Overall, I think that's what high-level Deathstroke/Sinestro matches will come down to.

One last thing I forgot to mention is that no matter what, I couldn't get my counterattack after a Fear Blast to count as a true reversal. Even in practice mode under optimal conditions, it just doesn't seem to work. I'm curious as to if this would make a difference in the zoning war, seeing as true reversals to boulder are guaranteed to connect.

On a related note, I see this fight as a nightmare for anyone playing on stick or pad. I play on a Hitbox, so going from back-to-block to the bd1 motion for low-shots really isn't that big of a deal. For stick and pad players, though, I can't imagine having to hold back, go to neutral, and then bd1 every time they block a boulder or FB, especially fast enough for it to count as a reversal.

EVB SomeCubanGuy

*Hissssssssssss*
Ha, that sounds about right. Still, that's basically what the MU comes down to. Maybe you could upload one of the later MU's where I started to learn how to get into optimal range, and you were learning how to counter my attempts. Overall, I think that's what high-level Deathstroke/Sinestro matches will come down to.

One last thing I forgot to mention is that no matter what, I couldn't get my counterattack after a Fear Blast to count as a true reversal. Even in practice mode under optimal conditions, it just doesn't seem to work. I'm curious as to if this would make a difference in the zoning war, seeing as true reversals to boulder are guaranteed to connect.

On a related note, I see this fight as a nightmare for anyone playing on stick or pad. I play on a Hitbox, so going from back-to-block to the bd1 motion for low-shots really isn't that big of a deal. For stick and pad players, though, I can't imagine having to hold back, go to neutral, and then bd1 every time they block a boulder or FB, especially fast enough for it to count as a reversal.
Reversals in this game really only come down to the timing more than the inputs. There's literally only about a 2-3f window to get the Reversal timing correctly. At certain ranges Sinestro can punish Straight guns and MB Machine Gun with Reversal Fear Blasts.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Reversals in this game really only come down to the timing more than the inputs. There's literally only about a 2-3f window to get the Reversal timing correctly. At certain ranges Sinestro can punish Straight guns and MB Machine Gun with Reversal Fear Blasts.
Yeah, I've got reversals down for boulders 100%. Literally every blocked boulder leads to an unavoidable low or high shot on Sinestro. Just for some reason I can't seem to get the timing down to do a reversal after a blocked FB. I can block and counter, but no matter how early I input the counter, it doesn't actually count as a true reversal, where the little "reversal" text pops up.

EVB SomeCubanGuy

*Hissssssssssss*
Yeah, I've got reversals down for boulders 100%. Literally every blocked boulder leads to an unavoidable low or high shot on Sinestro. Just for some reason I can't seem to get the timing down to do a reversal after a blocked FB. I can block and counter, but no matter how early I input the counter, it doesn't actually count as a true reversal, where the little "reversal" text pops up.
What you can also try doing instead of Gunshots as a reversal for Boulder is activating your trait, since it's basically free. Sinestro has a difficult time avoiding Unblockable Machine Guns, and you get more damage and setups.

RoboCop

Administrator
Premium Supporter
What you can also try doing instead of Gunshots as a reversal for Boulder is activating your trait, since it's basically free. Sinestro has a difficult time avoiding Unblockable Machine Guns, and you get more damage and setups.
I'll give it a shot, though I really have my doubts about its effectiveness. I pretty much don't use Deathstroke's trait at all, for a large number of reasons. Right now we already hit-trade most of our projectiles, so the unblockable aspect wouldn't make a huge difference. Assault Rifle is also too slow. It can typically get off a single bullet before I get hit out of it. And once the trait wore off, Sinestro would be free to throw everything he's got at me for the duration of my cooldown.

EVB SomeCubanGuy

*Hissssssssssss*
I'll give it a shot, though I really have my doubts about its effectiveness. I pretty much don't use Deathstroke's trait at all, for a large number of reasons. Right now we already hit-trade most of our projectiles, so the unblockable aspect wouldn't make a huge difference. Assault Rifle is also too slow. It can typically get off a single bullet before I get hit out of it. And once the trait wore off, Sinestro would be free to throw everything he's got at me for the duration of my cooldown.
Well at full screen, activating the trait is guaranteed. The only thing you have to fear (pardon the pun) is Fear Blast, but your trait still gets activated. And if you have the Sinestro player trained to worry about Reversal Gunshots after blocked Boulder, it's very unlikely they'll be going for follow up Fear Blasts. Once DS has his trait up, any blocked Sinestro special get's punished by Machine Guns for a free 14%.

Pig Of The Hut

I've never pressed Df1 motion so much in my life ever

Boodendorf

Bird woman!
Can I have insight on the Hawkgirl sinestro mu as you said it's 6-4? I also think it's in hawkgirl's advantage, but the fact that sinestro can shut fullscreen flight with boulders (I never tried airdashing under the boulders to avoid them, then in that case I'd definitely consider it a 6-4) makes me believe it's more 5.5-4.5 than 6-4.

edit: oh right I just remembered that air MB mace toss beats both boulders and fear fireball thing lol.

JaredL

Aww shit <REDACTED DUE TO FEELINGS> its Shapzam
Is there a worse match up in the game than Sinestro Killer frost? Its like 9-1 to KF.

Her slide goes around all of sinestros zoning, her ground spike stops any attempt at ring charging very abruptly. And her projectiles trade for much greater damage.

Sinestro has nothing on her. His slow unsafe strings don't exactly work against a blocked slide. His zoning doesn't work against a slide which goes under all his fireballs at any range and goes past the rock.

This is so one sided it hurts.

LEGEND

YES!
Is there a worse match up in the game than Sinestro Killer frost? Its like 9-1 to KF.

Her slide goes around all of sinestros zoning, her ground spike stops any attempt at ring charging very abruptly. And her projectiles trade for much greater damage.

Sinestro has nothing on her. His slow unsafe strings don't exactly work against a blocked slide. His zoning doesn't work against a slide which goes under all his fireballs at any range and goes past the rock.

This is so one sided it hurts.
i actually played this MU last night and i was confused as hell also. All i could really do was the usual go for grabs on blocked slides and MB B3 it on reaction if i could. I did manage to get trait off by making the frost player respect trait cancels, and that helped a little until the trait ran out

The first time i played this MU i got rocked though, had to learn the hard way that you can't use any of sinestro's specials at neutral without risking a huge chunk of your life. I'm still not sure what the best course of action is, right now my gameplan would be to just get in and go for D1's and through mix-ups and build trait whenever you can

Pig Of The Hut
WoundCowboy
Have either of you played this MU much?

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
i actually played this MU last night and i was confused as hell also. All i could really do was the usual go for grabs on blocked slides and MB B3 it on reaction if i could. I did manage to get trait off by making the frost player respect trait cancels, and that helped a little until the trait ran out

The first time i played this MU i got rocked though, had to learn the hard way that you can't use any of sinestro's specials at neutral without risking a huge chunk of your life. I'm still not sure what the best course of action is, right now my gameplan would be to just get in and go for D1's and through mix-ups and build trait whenever you can

Pig Of The Hut
WoundCowboy
Have either of you played this MU much?
I haven't played it much but it is really tough. You pretty much got the slide guessing game down. lol the only bright spot is that you can punish her ground ice move with shackles.