What's new

General/Other - Shinnok Shinnok General Discussion Thread

wow 18 pages... still getting notifications for this thread, gave up on shinnock couple of days ago and I thought most of you guys would too... he is simply a low tiered character

or at least the other options out there are far superior, why would you possibly pick shinnock over say kung jin, mash a few buttons and churn out a 40% midscreen no problem... and you can do that with a ton of mix ups and safe strings

was really looking forward to maining shinnock but I'm not gonna force something to work

CG Nino

Noob
wow 18 pages... still getting notifications for this thread, gave up on shinnock couple of days ago and I thought most of you guys would too... he is simply a low tiered character

or at least the other options out there are far superior, why would you possibly pick shinnock over say kung jin, mash a few buttons and churn out a 40% midscreen no problem... and you can do that with a ton of mix ups and safe strings

was really looking forward to maining shinnock but I'm not gonna force something to work
Well look at it this way. I picked him because he has the least shenanigans and unsafe on block stuff. I basically am focing myself to play fundamentally and improve myself as a player.

Some of the other chars are auti pilot, which is fun ya, but i dont think that makes you better as a player in long run. :)

Hes gotta take some bs ill give you that lol

Ps hell get over buffed and be fotm haha

TeknoOdin

DR. GreenBaneFateArrCrow
I am sure this has been covered.... alot.

Was messing around with more of the cast last night... uh... Why does shinnok have 5 strings when other characters have like 20?

He seems like he's not finished.
i know right? ..im gunna gues they will patch in some strings for imposter and necro sooner or later , hell the patched in a new move for takeda so it isnt beyond them

regulas

Your Emporer

Kung Jin is like Batman, who was dominant early due to being easy to use but will fall off when people learn how to deal with him (though still strong). While he has easy mix-ups and combo's he lacks anything outright broken mechanically.

Shinnok clearly requires some buffs, but also the entire footsies/zoney type playstyle is a completely different ball-game that requires better knowledge of every match-up to work to begin with. Furthermore while he has bad frame data he has strong theoretical mechancis so any changes to him could be explosive.

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
If they patch him, all I want is more string damage. If they can fix the Enhanced shoulder charge collision problems, that would be great, but that may be harder than it sounds.

It would be a bonus for a faster recovering fireball in boneshaper and a faster startup amulet strike, but I doubt that will happen. But if I don't get more damage, this guy is dropped... I can't believe I moved from Ferra Torr to someone FAR worse.

Kung Jin is like Batman, who was dominant early due to being easy to use but will fall off when people learn how to deal with him (though still strong). While he has easy mix-ups and combo's he lacks anything outright broken mechanically.

Shinnok clearly requires some buffs, but also the entire footsies/zoney type playstyle is a completely different ball-game that requires better knowledge of every match-up to work to begin with. Furthermore while he has bad frame data he has strong theoretical mechancis so any changes to him could be explosive.
Hes not mechanically broken, he just posseses and excels at all of the things that make a character good.

He's always going to be good.

Hey guys i had a few questions I was playing my friend who using shinnok impostor he kept doing the air teleport into NJ kick the when he land he would do instantly DB2 the crazy thing is i can't punish him after the nj kick.also it says mimicry is-17 but your in hitstun for so long you can't punish it.Is this shenanigans or real tech?

Hey guys i had a few questions I was playing my friend who using shinnok impostor he kept doing the air teleport into NJ kick the when he land he would do instantly DB2 the crazy thing is i can't punish him after the nj kick.also it says mimicry is-17 but your in hitstun for so long you can't punish it.Is this shenanigans or real tech?
You're confusing the hit advantage and block advantage numbers, I think (you said hitstun, but you might have meant blockstun?). Regardless, mimicry is -17 on block and can be punished, but it's +104 on hit. The nj kick is a bit plus on block if done late enough (the adv value given in game for jump attacks is kinda meaningless) and DB2 has ~12 frame startup, so you probably won't be able to stuff that without armor if at all depending on what height he's doing it at and how fast he's falling, though DB2 is very unsafe on block, so just block it and punish.

I'm on pc, so numbers might be off by a frame.

EDIT: And make sure you aren't confusing mimicry with the amulet strike, which is only -9 on block, so can be pretty hard/impossible to punish.

Malec

Noob
still hope he gets buffed asap. Shinnok feels so rushed :/
for starters:
-hell sparks should be safe on block if all 3 hits are blocked
-and the juggle damage should be way higher, if I have to spend a bar for every single juggle. 37-38-39-40% should be his damage without an jump in punsh. spending one bar for 30% or like 35% with an jump in punsh, like it is right now is just pathetic

Last edited:
njK, done low enough to the ground, will actually give a true blockstring into b3, so it's at least +8/9 done right.

Helter Skelter

CHIPPINGxTRAPPINGxZONING
PROPOSED SHINNOK CHANGES:

ALL VARIATIONS:
-1,1,2,3 string (Dark Magic) to launch on the final hit similarly to Liu Kang's 113 string (Dragon Seek Path). Reduce damage if needed.

-2,2 string (Nexus) to hit Overhead, Mid. Adjust frame data to make it slower and more unsafe if needed. This move currently has no purpose.

-F+2,2 (Divine Power) to be safer on block (-4/5).

-3,1,2 string (Immense Power) to be 0 or +1/2 on block. This move has no purpose currently.

-B,F+3+BLK (Krushing Shoulder) to have it's hit box adjusted to consistently hit. The fireball after the move hitting to become a launcher.

-D,B+2 & D,B+2+BLK (Hell Sparks and Hell Blast) to be safe if the opponent is made to all three sparks. Should also be able to enhance this move while the opponent is blocking for minor frame advantage (+4/5 maybe).

BONE SHAPER:
-B+3,1,D+2,U+2 & F+3,1,D+2,U+2 (Konquer All & Brute Strength) to be become launcher (upwards) on the last hit.

NECROMANCER:
All special moves exclusive to this variation to have a major revision to their frame data and hit boxes. Opponents can currently walk/run through his zoning attempts even though this is meant to be a zoning specific variation.

IMPOSTER:
All stolen move to be the EX versions.

What do you guys think?

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan

ALL VARIATIONS:
-1,1,2,3 string (Dark Magic) to launch on the final hit similarly to Liu Kang's 113 string (Dragon Seek Path). Reduce damage if needed.

-2,2 string (Nexus) to hit Overhead, Mid. Adjust frame data to make it slower and more unsafe if needed. This move currently has no purpose.

-3,1,2 string (Immense Power) to be 0 or +1/2 on block. This move has no purpose currently.

-B,F+3+BLK (Krushing Shoulder) to have it's hit box adjusted to consistently hit. The fireball after the move hitting to become a launcher.

-D,B+2 & D,B+2+BLK (Hell Sparks and Hell Blast) to be safe if the opponent is made to all three sparks. Should also be able to enhance this move while the opponent is blocking for minor frame advantage (+4/5 maybe).

BONE SHAPER:
-B+3,1,D+2,U+2 & F+3,1,D+2,U+2 (Konquer All & Brute Strength) to be become launcher (upwards) on the last hit.

NECROMANCER:
All special moves exclusive to this variation to have a major revision to their frame data and hit boxes. Opponents can currently walk/run through his zoning attempts even though this is meant to be a zoning specific variation.

IMPOSTER:

What do you guys think?
Can't really comment on suggestions, but I find it odd you left Bone Shaper out.

So... I'm praying to the dark one for buffs right now because this character is trash. I can see no reason to play him over my other 2 mains in any match up.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)

ALL VARIATIONS:

BONE SHAPER:

NECROMANCER:

IMPOSTER:

What do you guys think?
Jesus christ, I mean he needs buffs but not a redesign lol.

1123 being a safe meterless overhead launcher? As good as that would be I don't think it should be a thing lol. He can't even mix it up with a low so other than as a punisher it wouldn't really make a difference. He would also still need meter for a good enough conversion too so I dunno about this one, probably not worth it.

I agree on 22 and F22.

312 having no purpose won't change if you make it neutral or plus, it needs a hitbox adjustment. Possibly so does 22.

I agree that BF3EX needs its hitbox fixed and since you're spending the meter it should launch. Yes it would be armoured, 11f and a launcher but he wouldn't get much more damage off of it and it's still unsafe so I think that's fair.

I wouldn't see the point in enhancing Hell Sparks to make it safe if all three Sparks hitting is already safe.

I dunno about that B3/F31D2U2...

Necromancer's tracking needs a bit of an adjustment, yeah.

As for Impostor, the stolen specials being EX all the time won't help for everyone. For example he steals Jacqui's BF2 which is a meterless launcher, if he stole the EX it would just be a knockdown. So maybe some moves could be different but EX isn't necessary for them all.

Helter Skelter

CHIPPINGxTRAPPINGxZONING
@Youphemism.

Personally I do think he needs a redesign. We can't keep looking at this character in a vacuum. He isn't just a bad character because he has terrible hitboxes and frame data, he's bad because of his comparative tools.

Why shouldn't 1123 be a launcher when Liu Kang a character who can currently zone better than Shinnok has 113 which is -4 and a slow start STRING which can be made safe? That is actually a suggestion to bring his meterless damage in line with most other characters.

312 should have a Hitbox adjustment as well as the things I suggested because this character has like 4-5 full strings and this is one of them and the other few are normal better option in every situation anyway.

The Hell Spark/Blasts on block enhancement isn't to make the move safe it's suggested so that he can make it advantage. There are so few zoning/space control specific characters and Shinnok is getting the raw deal. Why shouldn't he be able to sustain his screen control if he pays for it with meter?

B3/F31D2U2 launching will up his variety among his variations and also buff his meterless damage.

The character dishes out terrible damage and actually doesn't have a safe wakeup, can I do some damage without having to use my meter that should be used for contingency like Breakers or Block Breakers?

I agree with what you were saying about the EX imposter moves, and you are right..

TeknoOdin

DR. GreenBaneFateArrCrow
Jesus christ, I mean he needs buffs but not a redesign lol.

As for Impostor, the stolen specials being EX all the time won't help for everyone. For example he steals Jacqui's BF2 which is a meterless launcher, if he stole the EX it would just be a knockdown. So maybe some moves could be different but EX isn't necessary for them all.
i would rather he have a few moves become the ex version for brutality purposes (seriously how can this guy only steal a brutality from like 5 members of the entire roster is beyond me ) or even better make it so all moves are the normal versions then add an ex feature to the stolen move itself

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
Right now, his strings and safety are very suspect. Things like EX Shoulder, Amulet Strike, EX Scepter Scoop, Dark Beam (-12 ON HIT. ON FUCKING HIT UP CLOSE), F2,2 and 3,1 not universally mid hitting strings which i've seen D'Vorah and Cassie's hitboxes go under and can punish cleanly.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
@Youphemism.

Personally I do think he needs a redesign. We can't keep looking at this character in a vacuum. He isn't just a bad character because he has terrible hitboxes and frame data, he's bad because of his comparative tools.

Why shouldn't 1123 be a launcher when Liu Kang a character who can currently zone better than Shinnok has 113 which is -4 and a slow start STRING which can be made safe? That is actually a suggestion to bring his meterless damage in line with most other characters.

312 should have a Hitbox adjustment as well as the things I suggested because this character has like 4-5 full strings and this is one of them and the other few are normal better option in every situation anyway.

The Hell Spark/Blasts on block enhancement isn't to make the move safe it's suggested so that he can make it advantage. There are so few zoning/space control specific characters and Shinnok is getting the raw deal. Why shouldn't he be able to sustain his screen control if he pays for it with meter?

B3/F31D2U2 launching will up his variety among his variations and also buff his meterless damage.

The character dishes out terrible damage and actually doesn't have a safe wakeup, can I do some damage without having to use my meter that should be used for contingency like Breakers or Block Breakers?

I agree with what you were saying about the EX imposter moves, and you are right..
No no no no no. He does not need a redesign. He needs better frame data in general and better tracking on his Necromancer moves. His tools as they are are fine and would do their intended job had they received better frame data/tracking from the beginning but what NRS have done is created the character with the intention of making him mediocre on purpose. It is better to buff the low tiers than nerf the top tiers, that way instead of everyone sucking everyone is good but the matches are still competitive.
What Shinnok is right now is a mediocre version of what he could be. If you look at his tools on paper, without the frame data, they are good tools. They just haven't come together properly yet but they will if he gets buffed (which lbsh, he will since he needs it).

So your logic for making 1123 a launcher is that one other character has it and that's apparently not fair? I don't think that's a good enough reason. 1123 being a launcher would be nice but I don't think it's necessary. He's not meant to be an in-your-face combo character, he doesn't have the frames for that. He's a zoner, a whiff punisher, a meter builder and an anti-airer (which is useless for a game with shitty jump arcs, ie noone jumps). You keep them out with Hell Sparks, Amulet Strike, even Shoulders to push them full screen. Then keep them there. But because Hell Sparks are so unsafe it makes it hard for Shinnok to do this which is why we feel he needs buffs.

312 is his most damaging combo starter so no not every other string is better. It only needs a hitbox adjustment. You don't have to use every tool the character has you know.

But what's the point in making it advantage? You're already safe with normal Hell Sparks by your request and you need meter to combo and breaker so you're doing nothing of use by enhancing it for advantage unless it's so plus that they can't move for 20 seconds and you get to whiff a bunch of moves for free and build meter in the process. If it's safe as it is and the other character is full screen you can keep using your newly safe non-EXd Hell Sparks to hold them full screen just fine.

"B3/F31D2U2 launching will up his variety among his variations" How? How does making one string ender in one variation "up his variety in all variations"? That doesn't make sense. And he arguably already gets the most meterless damage in Bone Shaper as it is so again, useless/unnecessary.

Yes his damage isn't the greatest, in fact Green Arrow is probably laughing at him, but he's not a damage character by design. He's a keepaway character. Do you know what you get when you put 40% damage with good keepaway? Zod.

Having a safe wakeup is stupid, you shouldn't just be getting up for free. That's why they took away wakeup invincibility too. You should be making good reads on knockdown and getting punished for making a bad one. It's risk/reward and albeit Shinnok doesn't have the greatest risk/reward but that doesn't mean he should be an exception to the rest of the cast. I agree that having to use meter all the time in combos is a pain especially if we need them for breakers or block breakers but that's where your keepaway game and zoning game has to excel. If he had great keepaway and meterless combos there would be complaints about how characters can't get in but when they do they're sent back to the start again. Look at the complaints about Jacqui right now for example, good meterless damage and good keepaway.

Ojpaxton

Noob
Shinnok needs one buff and thats 3 hitting onblock hell sparks being neutral if it was advantage that would be op as fuck, shinnok is good you just gotta know how to use him correctly, oh and shoulder needs to be hot fixed asap.

Edit. 3 hell sparks on block no matter what is not safe vs anyone with a fast long to medium range reaching special(etc teleport,superman, kano knives and more)

Last edited:
No no no no no. He does not need a redesign. He needs better frame data in general and better tracking on his Necromancer moves. His tools as they are are fine and would do their intended job had they received better frame data/tracking from the beginning but what NRS have done is created the character with the intention of making him mediocre on purpose. It is better to buff the low tiers than nerf the top tiers, that way instead of everyone sucking everyone is good but the matches are still competitive.
What Shinnok is right now is a mediocre version of what he could be. If you look at his tools on paper, without the frame data, they are good tools. They just haven't come together properly yet but they will if he gets buffed (which lbsh, he will since he needs it).

So your logic for making 1123 a launcher is that one other character has it and that's apparently not fair? I don't think that's a good enough reason. 1123 being a launcher would be nice but I don't think it's necessary. He's not meant to be an in-your-face combo character, he doesn't have the frames for that. He's a zoner, a whiff punisher, a meter builder and an anti-airer (which is useless for a game with shitty jump arcs, ie noone jumps). You keep them out with Hell Sparks, Amulet Strike, even Shoulders to push them full screen. Then keep them there. But because Hell Sparks are so unsafe it makes it hard for Shinnok to do this which is why we feel he needs buffs.

312 is his most damaging combo starter so no not every other string is better. It only needs a hitbox adjustment. You don't have to use every tool the character has you know.

But what's the point in making it advantage? You're already safe with normal Hell Sparks by your request and you need meter to combo and breaker so you're doing nothing of use by enhancing it for advantage unless it's so plus that they can't move for 20 seconds and you get to whiff a bunch of moves for free and build meter in the process. If it's safe as it is and the other character is full screen you can keep using your newly safe non-EXd Hell Sparks to hold them full screen just fine.

"B3/F31D2U2 launching will up his variety among his variations" How? How does making one string ender in one variation "up his variety in all variations"? That doesn't make sense. And he arguably already gets the most meterless damage in Bone Shaper as it is so again, useless/unnecessary.

Yes his damage isn't the greatest, in fact Green Arrow is probably laughing at him, but he's not a damage character by design. He's a keepaway character. Do you know what you get when you put 40% damage with good keepaway? Zod.

Having a safe wakeup is stupid, you shouldn't just be getting up for free. That's why they took away wakeup invincibility too. You should be making good reads on knockdown and getting punished for making a bad one. It's risk/reward and albeit Shinnok doesn't have the greatest risk/reward but that doesn't mean he should be an exception to the rest of the cast. I agree that having to use meter all the time in combos is a pain especially if we need them for breakers or block breakers but that's where your keepaway game and zoning game has to excel. If he had great keepaway and meterless combos there would be complaints about how characters can't get in but when they do they're sent back to the start again. Look at the complaints about Jacqui right now for example, good meterless damage and good keepaway.
I agree with him being a whiff punisher, but a keep away character or a zoner????? This he certainly doesn't have the frames for! I mean he has frames neither for zoning nor for rushdown right now. Quan chi is a zoner... And a mix up/vortex character... With great pressure....and meterless 40+% combos.....he Exs his runes for +15 on block, its non-ex version is basically safe from half a screen away... But he still gets to ex it for + frames. Shinnok has none of his tools.... None, and you are saying he is a zoner, and being able to ex Hell Sparks on block for + frames is asking for too much????
My second point is that people can armor through 2nd or 3rd spark no matter how safe the third one is, so being able to ex the first spark that actually gets blocked to make it safe or advantage(it costs a bar-come on) will become crucial when armor comes into play. It is better to have Hell sparks as unsafe as it is right now but being able to Ex it on block.

Helter Skelter

CHIPPINGxTRAPPINGxZONING
Tbh, even if 1223 and Bone Shaper's Axes strings weren't launchers, I still believe that this character deserves to have better design and thought out tools.

EX Hell Sparks is pointless. It would be more useful and interesting if it worked like Shang's EX Down Skull..

That's mostly the point that I should be making. Regardless of NRS planning to make the character mediocre and improve him. His native tools are not innovative or particularly interesting.

I think we can all agree that this character was meant to fill Shang Tsung's role in this game. The thing is that throughout THREE whole variations this attempt at making a Shang type character has not been realised.

FIXING his frame data is always going to be a start, but I personally like the character and don't want to be relegated to standing there and flicking people to death when interesting design choices could be implemented very easily.

There aren't enough space control/zoning specific characters in this game and having one that has specific variations that allow for have even stronger mixups, zoning or footsie a isn't a bad thing.

We will agree to disagree, but this is what I hoped Shinnok would offer at the very least:

Shang Tsung and Sinestro and examples of good design choices that allow for a player to have options and be expressive and not make a character OP.

I think Wound Cowboy is using Sub at the moment. Do you think the people who enjoyed Shang and Sinestro would be choosing Kano, Sub or Jaqcui if this character was actually properly designed?

Last edited: