What's new

General/Other - Shinnok Shinnok General Discussion Thread

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
Uh no it isn't, you can armour through almost everything that you can cancel into it. And since you can armour through it you could backdash it too, into forward dash or run then you're getting pressured and the point of the move disappears :(
in the case of flick you need to mix up when exactly you use the flick in the string. you don't always have to do f22 flick, you can mix it up to force your opponent to respect you. i mean i agree tht he is overrating it to a degree but it really isn't bad at all, but could be better

True Grave

Giving The Gift Of Graves
This is entirely useless, but I found that his EX shoulder will go through some armor wake-ups as if they weren't there. He passes through the opponent as if they're not there.

Ninequads93

Beware your Fears
I'm really enjoying Shinnok he is by far not a cheap get easy wins go auto pilot type of character he rewards fundamentals and conditioning which is really satisfying when you get hits or win matches overall

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
...until you realize how unsafe he is. Right now he's getting away with murder with many people not knowing what to do.
Exactly. Once people figure out how punishable he is, the little hope he has is diminished.

people keep talking about how he is unsafe. what can punish 112? im in the training room right now and i cant punish it with 5 frame moves.

True Grave

people keep talking about how he is unsafe. what can punish 112? im in the training room right now and i cant punish it with 5 frame moves.
It's the Hell Sparks that concerns us the most. Aside from some normals, pokes, and singular strings, EVERYTHING we do can be punished by armor...or no armor. Depending on who you play.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I don't know if I said it before, but I'm gonna stick with Shinnok. He's not great, but oh well. I'll just lose a lot, not like I have the time or ability to be one of the best players anyway. After the Yomi tournament tomorrow, I'll just lab rat it up until the next offline tournament/gathering. Online is garbage, especially when you have AT&T UVerse.

True Grave

I'll still play him as I'm currently waiting for Tanya. I'm going to learn Jason for shits and giggles because he's Jason.

CG Nino

Noob
I dropped liu for shinnok, apparently im a masochist w my chars haha. Ill post some stuff when i get home for you guys.

True Grave

everyone should play around with this. definitely think it makes shinnok a lot better since he has a hard time being safe
I'll watch in a minute, buy what I've been doing is after mimicry, I'll use a standing 2 then follow up with a b3 since S2 is neutral on block. Also when I use his teleport, I'll use his 3 kick on them and mix up with a grab or b3 because of the pushback on his kick.

Edit: I do this to condition my opponent so that when they DO punish, I've already set myself up to block and then bam, free combo.

Last edited:
everyone should play around with this. definitely think it makes shinnok a lot better since he has a hard time being safe
The most useful ones I've found so far:

anything xx DB2~(B or F) = DB2 on hit, nothing on block
anything xx BF3~(B or F) = BF3 on hit, nothing on block
(NECROMANCER) anything xx DB2~F = DB2 on hit, BF2 on block (can't input the DB2 too early or the B2 doesn't stay in the buffer long enough for BF2)
(IMPOSTOR) anything xx DB1~F = DB1 on hit, BF1 on block (can't input the DB1 too early or the B1 doesn't stay in the buffer long enough for BF1)
(IMPOSTOR) anything xx DB1+block~F = DB1 on hit, EX BF1 on block (can't input the DB1 too early or the B1 doesn't stay in the buffer long enough for BF1)

~B and ~F have to be input after the hit-cancel window, but before the block-cancel window. I believe they work with any cancellable normal, but I'm not sure. B3 works for sure, which is the most useful one.

EDIT: Corrected last OS. Block has to be input at same time as 1, not after 1.

EDIT 2: For the first two OSs, if the button for the special is the next hit in the string, you get the next hit on block. If you want to do the next hit in the string on block and the next attack is a different button than the special, you can input the attack button anytime after inputting the special and it will come out on block if you time the ~B/F correctly. The first OS also does not work with DB2~F on Necromancer unless the DB2 is input far in advance (so B2 leaves the buffer); otherwise you get BF2 on block. Also, obviously the last 3 OSs don't work on alternate controls as is; you have to input the full half-circle instead of just hitting ~F.

Last edited:

CG Nino

Noob
I'll watch in a minute, buy what I've been doing is after mimicry, I'll use a standing 2 then follow up with a b3 since S2 is neutral on block. Also when I use his teleport, I'll use his 3 kick than them mix up with a grab or b3 because of the pushback on his kick.

My fav combo in corner is 2 bars atm. I do b3 examulet. Safe if blk confirmable if hit. Then 1,1,2 db1 mb fbs 2 mimic.

This gives you the buff, the move, 30 percent-34 dmg roughly. And you still have the vorner for 5050. The follow up throw is 16 percent. So think of the combo w that added add its near 50 w a knockdown and corner pressure. You should have almost another bar to do again at this point.

Pending the char this is super good. Kung jins move gives you his ex flipkick w no armor. So double overhead thats plus 3 on block. Jax gives you unblockable 30 percent in corner for the reset. His corner games good if you got meter for ex amulet. Otherwise your kinda risky.

Ojpaxton

Noob
Hey just a little knowledge, if you get a sketchy jump in punch that's out of range to convert off 112 or b3 1 just use f3 1 it'll convert everytime. I'm sure a lot of you knew this but just incase:)

True Grave

Hey just a little knowledge, if you get a sketchy jump in punch that's out of range to convert off 112 or b3 1 just use f3 1 it'll convert everytime. I'm sure a lot of you knew this but just incase:)
You can also d1 hell spark after a F224~bf3 in the corner.

CG Nino

Noob
Honestly if his 2,2 was a overhead starter and his fbs 3rd hit was safe on block i think wed be in there. Still not top tier but viable. I like his fundamental play. Thats why im gonna main.

His 6f uppercuts nothibg to scoff at btw. Jumps are powerful in this game and he essentially has two great anti airs.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
One of my biggest issues is F2,2 and 3,1 (yes even that useless string) which are supposed to be mids are whiffing on some crouching characters mainly D'Vorah and Cassie from my experience so far. So salt inducing when it happens.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
You can also d1 hell spark after a F224~bf3 in the corner.
You can 112~Hell Spark too :p that was actually one of the first things I found playing Shinnok lol
Honestly if his 2,2 was a overhead starter and his fbs 3rd hit was safe on block i think wed be in there. Still not top tier but viable. I like his fundamental play. Thats why im gonna main.

His 6f uppercuts nothibg to scoff at btw. Jumps are powerful in this game and he essentially has two great anti airs.
Yessssssssssssssssss. I'm still waiting for buffs though.

His uppercuts are good but jumps are not powerful in this game. Pretty much all jump arcs are now a LOT floatier and a lot higher so it's easier to react to them and anti-air. I mean it's good that he has arguably the best set of anti-air normals/moves in the game but that doesn't mean shit since opponents shouldn't/won't be jumping anyway. The one thing he could excel at got nerfed this game round, goddamnit...

Ojpaxton

Noob
112 sparks on block is sketch af lol sometimes though 3 will connect I've yet to figure out how or why but it happens

True Grave

You can 112~Hell Spark too :p that was actually one of the first things I found playing Shinnok lol

Yessssssssssssssssss. I'm still waiting for buffs though.

His uppercuts are good but jumps are not powerful in this game. Pretty much all jump arcs are now a LOT floatier and a lot higher so it's easier to react to them and anti-air. I mean it's good that he has arguably the best set of anti-air normals/moves in the game but that doesn't mean shit since opponents shouldn't/won't be jumping anyway. The one thing he could excel at got nerfed this game round, goddamnit...
The first thing I found out was that you can b3,1 after 312 in the corner. You can also hit them with the full b3/f3 string, midcreec in Bone shaper after his df2ex, but you need to be perfect with the farmes.

True Grave

What?! Making It safe?
Man auto correct has been against me the past few days. No its a combo. You can JIP 312 then b3, 1, d2 in the corner. The d2 won't hit unless you're perfect to the frame.

The midscreen one can only be done after an ex df2. You can't land the the d2 part after a neutral punch, but you can do both full strings without the NJP. Still strict on the timing.

They're basically flashy combos.

Edit: I just had an idea. Maybe we could Find a way to utilize the late OH in the b3/f3, 1, d2 string and possibly use it as a singular move to initiate damage some way. My thought was doing a MB on the 2nd or 3rd Hell Spark and then go into that string as the opponent falls. Hopefully that move hits as they are on the ground or something to that nature.