What's new

General/Other - Shinnok Shinnok General Discussion Thread

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
Just in case yall didn't see, this is a thing.

Turns out we do get something out of 312xxshoulder from midscreen. Damage isn't great, but its something.
Saw that searching youtube today. Now we just need a reason to even use that string mid-screen.

Can anybody think of one?

Saw that searching youtube today. Now we just need a reason to even use that string mid-screen.

Basically if you read a projectile and get the jump in punch it's a good way to punish, but that's about it. It's ok on block as well which is nice, but...yeah.

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan

Aside from @Eji1700 had mentioned, nope. I wish it had a slightly larger hitbox on the 1 after the 3, it seems to whiff hella often in neutral.

I hope like hell they fix the shoulder/ex shoulder hitbox. It seems like 3,1,2 into EX shoulder in either mid screen or corner scenarios could lead to him having another way to convert and possible damage options, but right now it's a joke.

guys i main jax,and trained him pretty much so i decided to pick shinnok as my second character,could you tell me some tips what should i now...i want to play necromancer...i know he dont have any overhead starter

RM_NINfan101

guys i main jax,and trained him pretty much so i decided to pick shinnok as my second character,could you tell me some tips what should i now...i want to play necromancer...i know he dont have any overhead starter
If you're going to play Necromancer I highly recommend going through this thread and reading about how his F2,2,4 string works and what you can use with it like Flick or Hellsparks. Also just try to play him extremely pokey, get a knockdown a get some distance to toss meaty flicks or if they're content to stand still. His Grab with hand when EXed pops up and us better in the corner to use. EX Amulet is the only way he can make anything safe.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
So I found this in Bone Shaper, don't know if it'll be of much use though.

After B31D2, D1 you can land 2 Hell Sparks before MBing rather than 1 but it seems to scale more...

RM_NINfan101

For all variants:

1. The random fucking hitbox shit needs to go. I get that sometimes having a move work on some characters and not others adds depth, but this whole shoulder working on normal but not on EX is dumb as hell. It doesn't help that EX shoulder, despite looking like it may be a combo move, is mostly just a getup tool. In short, if it hits midscreen with normal shoulder, it should hit anywhere, and EX should never be WORSE than the normal move(at least when it looks fucking identical).

2. Give him something that's safe on block besides EX amulet cancels (Which as discussed elsewhere is risky). Most of the cast can punish him on block from any special cancel. This is nuts when his only decent low option requires you to buffer the special in (can't hit confirm for shit off his lows).

3. Give 3,1,2 a fucking point. There's so little he can do after it that it's almost always 100% worse than 2,2, f2,2 or 1,1,2. The only time i use it is vs people that think mimic combos, and then I do the 3,1,2 X ray combo. That should not be the only purpose of a string. ESPECIALLY on someone with only 4 strings.

4. Seriously look at his normal frame data and consider giving him something that's actually positive on block. 3,1,2 could be great here as the spacing is nice.

5. Maybe give him a real overhead. I don't think anyone thinks he needs one, and I'd like him better if he was viable without a simple one, but a solution is a solution.

6. Why are EX sparks a thing? All they seem to do is more damage in a manner that's extremely wasteful of meter since you get much more damage if you burn the last hit and combo. The fact that this character has 2 specials that do NOTHING on block when EX'd is disgusting (shoulder and sparks have identical frame data).

Necro stuff:

Dear god fix the tracking. Let us do actual combos. Every other character has a few viable ways to progress their strings, even mid screen (ok most of them). Shinnok literally has almost everything start with 1,1,2 into EX. Again 3,1,2 would be a lot better if anything fucking tracked, and f2,2,4 wouldn't suck nearly as much if shoulder worked and ANYTHING TRACKED. Maybe actually give him unblockable hand setups that don't require meter.

Bonshaper stuff:
This one feels the closest to being viable. I just think he should have something he can do after the standing reset that's a real threat. Right now if they block low they only need to worry about the throw mixup, and shinnoks throw game sucks (seriously maybe change his throw data while we're at it, he gets nothing from that thing).

Imposter stuff:

In the shinnok mirror please let mimic steal something. It's awkward and weird and makes this unquestionably the worst style for the mirror match.

Can i just ask for a grounded teleport with the same startup and teleport spot as if you did a frame perfect IA teleport? Or do I need to keep fucking up my fingers?

Honestly this style feels the weaknesses of his standard moveset the most. Mimic is NOT a move that brings much to the table outside of combos and teleport is mostly the same way. I'm fine with the mimic thing staying as a mixup rather than a combo extender, but please give him something in his frame data to compete. I find it especially funny that this one is actually worse at zoning than bone shaper as he has no full screen projectile.
I posted this here as I feel @Eji1700 does bring up some very solid points and it is a nice collection of things to talk about, even if some of it does seem to be filled with emotion haha.

Ojpaxton

Noob
Shinnok is a beta char I swear Nrs did a slopjob on him, his shoulder going threw dvorah when she's in the air needs to be hot fixed along with the shoulder not connecting vs everyone in the fucking game, the fact that they made him a meter dependent char then make his meter building tools unsafe is absolutely ridiculous if you ask me, someone at the office must have got rekt by someone playing shinnok, got super salty then nerfed him to hell lol.

Shinnok is a beta char I swear Nrs did a slopjob on him, his shoulder going threw dvorah when she's in the air needs to be hot fixed along with the shoulder not connecting vs everyone in the fucking game, the fact that they made him a meter dependent char then make his meter building tools unsafe is absolutely ridiculous if you ask me, someone at the office must have got rekt by someone playing shinnok, got super salty then nerfed him to hell lol.
Well, necro shinnok has one of the best and safest specials in the game; it's an amazing meter builder. I'd agreed that he's not very strong, but i think that a hell sparks safety buff is the main thing he needs. It's true that he's meter dependent for damage, but that's not exactly what this character is about. He's about great footsies first and foremost. I see necro to be the most footsie/poke centric variation, bone shaper as the more mixup based, and imposter gains much better setups/vortex

Ojpaxton

Noob
crophonic, post: 1688519, member: 35352"]Well, necro shinnok has one of the best and safest specials in the game; it's an amazing meter builder. I'd agreed that he's not very strong, but i think that a hell sparks safety buff is the main thing he needs. It's true that he's meter dependent for damage, but that's not exactly what this character is about. He's about great footsies first and foremost. I see necro to be the most footsie/poke centric variation, bone shaper as the more mixup based, and imposter gains much better setups/vortex[/QUOTE]
Litterally his footsies is the only thing going for him, his mixup potential is slowly becoming a joke. By the time people know the matchup ( lucky enough there's not many shinnok players) we are fucked.

Youphemism

Well, necro shinnok has one of the best and safest specials in the game; it's an amazing meter builder. I'd agreed that he's not very strong, but i think that a hell sparks safety buff is the main thing he needs. It's true that he's meter dependent for damage, but that's not exactly what this character is about. He's about great footsies first and foremost. I see necro to be the most footsie/poke centric variation, bone shaper as the more mixup based, and imposter gains much better setups/vortex
Sorry, what does Necromancer have that's one of the best specials in the game? Flick? That thing that half the cast can WALK past?

Sorry, what does Necromancer have that's one of the best specials in the game? Flick? That thing that half the cast can WALK past?
Its a godawful projectile, but a wonderful tool to cancel into. Ive been messing around quite a bit with setups around it, and i really think its great

Youphemism

Its a godawful projectile, but a wonderful tool to cancel into. Ive been messing around quite a bit with setups around it, and i really think its great
Uh no it isn't, you can armour through almost everything that you can cancel into it. And since you can armour through it you could backdash it too, into forward dash or run then you're getting pressured and the point of the move disappears :(