What's new

Rising Thunder (Alpha) Discussion & Matchmaking Thread

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
I think if a developer is going spend resources to make a OSx/linux ver of a game they damn well better be goin out of their way to promote it. Honestly though AAA have a hard enough time making a game without crazy bugs for just 1 version.

I can't imagine smaller devs having the resources to do all that in a timely manner that is it worth it to them in the long run.

It's not necessarily more effort to port for OSX and Linux. Really it's a matter of not using something that forces you to port in the first place.

Games written in Ogre, SDL or any OpenGL wrapper will naturally run anywhere without any added effort. A line of Lua I write on top of SDL is just going to run anywhere.

For desktop applications this dream is pretty much already a reality thanks to projects like Electron (http://electron.atom.io/). I can write a GUI and it will work anywhere. I'm now at the point where it takes more effort to make it NOT work somewhere :)

But yeah, it's generally the underlying technology that limits porting. The fact that any AAA game exists for Linux at all given the very low install base is really just a sign of graphics libraries having better cross platform support, and there needing to be no effort to port it in the first place.

Vulkan will very likely replace both OpenGL and DirectX in the future (because they are both shit), the same way HTML5 replaced Microsoft Silverlight.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Considering STEAMbox is about to launch and it is basically a PC running a custom linux kernel I expect that pretty much every major game studio is going to start making linux games, as if they want to tap into SteamBox which is sure to be a huge thing, then they need to be linux compatible.

On another note... not sure what I think of this. I'll give it a go for sure, FeeToPlay is a great model for fighting games, proven with Killer Instinct recently. I think a free game and then paid characters is what all games should be.

Still, I am just not sold on those GFX. I mean the game may be fun.. but it just looks lame to me. I do not like the robot designs, the cartoonish feel... I dunno. If this was NOT robots then I would probably be more interested.. but the fact that it will all be robots and they all have this kind of look.... meh.

The gameplay better be fantastic, that is all I am saying!

this video really turned me off this game.

1) It looks terrible. The Robot idea is just wack.. I felt that from the moment I saw it at Evo, but if the gameplay was good.. I could live with that.. but

2) This idea about simplified controls for is such a stupid idea. This is completely the WRONG direction for fighting games. Just sounds terrible in every way.

Pass. No longer interested.

Definitely going to sign up for some robot battles! I hope thewhole varient thing will be what everyone originally thought SFxT was going to do with gems. I actually like that they're implementing simplified controls as it is less of a barrier for people to seriously learn fighters and also I feel that is one of the main attractions for smash.

Colares

Noob
The visuals are a turn off but so were the Smite original models so I feel it's going to improve.
I don't like the supers like sfiv camera angles
But good online and possible a good amount of players and the customization might be nice for my gimmicks

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Alright we're about to roll any time now.

Post your IDs here for matchmaking and maybe post your region (hopefully GGPO3 will kick butts of any sort of distance issues.)

I'll get it rolling with my ID: Braindead

Also no need to remind TYM users, but they tweeted this earlier:

Let the games begin!

Braindead

According to their Twitter account, they already have sent some codes 4 hours ago, so check your emails you might have received it already.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Didn't get an invite, but looks interesting.

Braindead

GGPO

GG NRS
Yeah GGPO3. The game is designed mainly around the online experience. So much that even what you see on your own screen isn't the same as what the other player sees on their screen.

I wonder what that means for offline 1v1.

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
Been messing around in training mode a bit with Crow, game seems interesting, some odd fps issues at times though. Still not quite sure how to make use of lights for combos, seems like you need a heavy move to actually cancel into things to start stuff or use a special of some sort to launch. I also can't imagine ever using the Kinetic Deflect over Kinetic Advance. Which is basically either a fadc or a breaker. KA makes the characters combos and pressure so much more interesting. Maybe you can use both in a real game, not sure, in training you have to pick between the two.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
It reminds me too much of street fighter 4, plus it looks like a fight between humans and not between machines.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.