What's new

Question - Reptile Reptile: what's good, what's bad?

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
The only cool thing about Reptile is his alternate costume. He's nearly the same as he was in MK9. They just swapped out that overhead ball-slam thing with something that actually looks like an overhead.

The stinky cloud trait would be nice if it actually did some damage in it's lowest form.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Things I NEED to know:
1. Does his MB force balls stack? Meaning can he have 3 on screen at once by spending 3 bars? :confused:
2. Do his force balls soak up/ trade with any projectiles?
3. Could a cornered opponent under the acid pool and "stink cloud" be a trident rush 2.0?
4. Does the acid pool prevent jumping while inside it?
5. Does blocking Noxious Reptile reduce his "stink cloud" chip?

So much pondering in my mind today, and we still have 2 months. :0

1. Can he trap you in the corner by stopping a force similar for sub, and either acid puddle, or mixup, or invis mixup???

2. Can he throw a fastball stop it, the a slow all, then hold down for invis and follow it for a mixup???

3. Can he make his slide/dash/leap safe with stopped balls ?/ ex balls?

4. Mb throw setups into acid invis or more practical mixups??

5. If he jumps the force ball can he stop it behind them?..
6. How much chip does noxious do?

DarksydeDash

1. Can he trap you in the corner by stopping a force similar for sub, and either acid puddle, or mixup, or invis mixup???

2. Can he throw a fastball stop it, the a slow all, then hold down for invis and follow it for a mixup???

3. Can he make his slide/dash/leap safe with stopped balls ?/ ex balls?

4. Mb throw setups into acid invis or more practical mixups??

5. If he jumps the force ball can he stop it behind them?..
6. How much chip does noxious do?
So its not just me going crazy? :p Seriously the hate to reptile is so stupid, this character's mixup potential is insane!

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
I don't get how so many people can commit to a character so far before release. I can't pick a main until I've played a lot of a bunch of characters and pick the most fun one
I can't and might not, but for now I am in this present time, purely because he was my previously main and I still think his general kit is fun and plays to my style, however I did start to enjoy many others over Reptile in MK9 (none of which made it into MKX yet)

But when it came to Injustice I said FLASH FLASH! but then played a pre build at I48 festival and played Superman, loved him then on release I played Shazam and from then on Shazam was pretty much all I played.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
What's fun for people is subjective, so I cannot argue that. However, there will likely be more to the Nimble variation than just a single, massive combo. This could provide depth to his pressure or zoning. We'll have to see how much it really affects the opposition's frames, but I'm optimistic it will have much depth.
The cool down on the move will be interesting as well. Hopefully in the final version you can throw it out more than once a round.
I have to see it or experience it, I know nimble probably has more to it than it appears, but it doesn't look that fun.
I really don't see Noxious having very much to it. Get in stay in. that's all I can see.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
Gameplay wise he looks great.
missed this, he looks fine yeah he looks great infact!
His variations are a bit lack luster though when compared to the rest of the cast, sure don't know it all yet as people argue fair enough.
but meh, I'll be happy with his main variation though and will be pretty happy with it.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
I can't and might not, but for now I am in this present time, purely because he was my previously main and I still think his general kit is fun and plays to my style, however I did start to enjoy many others over Reptile in MK9 (none of which made it into MKX yet)

But when it came to Injustice I said FLASH FLASH! but then played a pre build at I48 festival and played Superman, loved him then on release I played Shazam and from then on Shazam was pretty much all I played.
For me i couldn't pick a main before Igau because i love all of the dc universe so I wanted to main like 22 of the 24 characters

for mk now i just don't know, i don't have that kind of feel for any of the mk characters as characters like i do for the dc cast, so i'll definitely have to play with a bunch and just see who fits me

So its not just me going crazy? :p Seriously the hate to reptile is so stupid, this character's mixup potential is insane!
Well I see a lot of charcter potential, being able to stop the balls is nuts, it'll make you scared to jump them, and s good zoner will abuse it.... But I think the variations are underwhelming in terms of creativity even if they promote ideas. But with all the universal tools he probably shouldn't have crazy variations

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
For me i couldn't pick a main before Igau because i love all of the dc universe so I wanted to main like 22 of the 24 characters

for mk now i just don't know, i don't have that kind of feel for any of the mk characters as characters like i do for the dc cast, so i'll definitely have to play with a bunch and just see who fits me
I was upset that reptile got in because I knew instantly my character loyalty and familiarity would drag me back to him where as I was hype to play Kotal Kahn and possible other newbies to the franchise.
but now his variations suck I wouldn't feel so guilty leaving him if I don't get along with him, but I know I will and being upset about them now I may end up using one of them more anyway XD Fuck that flash trait though, I hated the slow mo stuff.

I was upset that reptile got in because I knew instantly my character loyalty and familiarity would drag me back to him where as I was hype to play Kotal Kahn and possible other newbies to the franchise.
but now his variations suck I wouldn't feel so guilty leaving him if I don't get along with him, but I know I will and being upset about them now I may end up using one of them more anyway XD Fuck that flash trait though, I hated the slow mo stuff.
His variations depend on utility and ability to activate... Both invis and flash trait could be huge buffs to a charcter with Already a diverse set of tools allowing him to dominate space, or they could be underwhelming. Noxious is almost sure to be annoying and viable.

JDM

Noob
His invisibility variation is a little meh imo, but if he's got decent mixups I will use that variation at least a little. I'm going to be screwing around with all of them when I get the game.

As a day 1 main, I think reptile is looking pretty fucking awesome. Maybe his variations are slightly underwhelming but I'm sure they will be good. He looks better in MKX right now than in MK9 so that's a plus.

DarksydeDash

Well I see a lot of charcter potential, being able to stop the balls is nuts, it'll make you scared to jump them, and s good zoner will abuse it.... But I think the variations are underwhelming in terms of creativity even if they promote ideas. But with all the universal tools he probably shouldn't have crazy variations
Honestly it seems like that's how they are making reptile unique. He may be the only if not one of the few where he has more universal moves that carry over across variations. Even so, his variations will still change how he will be played although not as much as others.

Honestly it seems like that's how they are making reptile unique. He may be the only if not one of the few where he has more universal moves that carry over across variations. Even so, his variations will still change how he will be played although not as much as others.
Yes, but I'm not sure how much I enjoy that because it makes him more of a recreation of mk9 reptile which means their isn't as much originality in his design and it means @dribirut isn't going to have to adapt whatsoever...

Reptile is a super cool charcter and it feels they could have done a bit more

DarksydeDash

Yes, but I'm not sure how much I enjoy that because it makes him more of a recreation of mk9 reptile which means their isn't as much originality in his design and it means @dribirut isn't going to have to adapt whatsoever...

On that, we can agree on.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends

It's going to be different mechanics and new normals. There's going to be quite a bit to adjust to, even if his specials are mostly the same.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
I dont get the hate, they balanced out all of his common moves with his lack of variation exclusives and he still looks beast to me

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
I know i'm being a jackass but how about Deceptive full invisibility should be immune to projectiles. Now that's a reason to use it.

Also, did anyone notice Reptile's strings whiffing their mid hit on kitana in the stream? I hope we won't see Sektor's T-rex reach problem in reptile's normals.

Edit: yeap, 49:36 on the youtube stream. second hit whiffed because of T-rex reach. Goddamit :(

Last edited:

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
His invisibility variation is a little meh imo, but if he's got decent mixups I will use that variation at least a little. I'm going to be screwing around with all of them when I get the game.

As a day 1 main, I think reptile is looking pretty fucking awesome. Maybe his variations are slightly underwhelming but I'm sure they will be good. He looks better in MKX right now than in MK9 so that's a plus.
His regular variation seems to have great mix ups as well as i'm sure his invis will.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
People think invisibility is bad even with his new overhead move? I think the game plan with each variation is going to be use your very solid base moves to abuse whatever the new move to the variation is. Mix ups and mind games with stationary force balls in invisibility, mb acid spit for extra damage over time in the corner and oki for stinky version, and 100% screen control with extra combos and set ups in slo mo.

I think Reptile's base specials make him one of the most unique playstyles in any fighting game I don't think they wanted to stray from that too much, Reptile is already a niche character no need to completely change him I guess. I dunno, I still really like him and think all three variations will be completely viable. Elbow dash gon' be scary with no dash cancelling