What's new

Question - Reptile Reptile: what's good, what's bad?

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
I like that they are trying to make the variations mean different things for dif characters. On some they will act like 3 different characters, on reptile its more like 1 with a choice of added tool. It shows they arent afraid to break the mold a bit. I never played injustice so imagine how dumbfounded I am to see the time stop thingy and the persistant cloud dmg. Never dreamed things like that would be in the game. It makes me even more excited to see the many other chars we have yet to see. Who knows what gimmicks, inj assets or new tools they will have or how the variations will alter them?
The slowing down time gimmick fades fast, it's no fun to have it used against you, it can sometimes be OTT in terms of what a character should be able to do in one combo and it's also pretty boring to use after a while. :p but as a first time thing I bet it looks pretty cool, it did to me when flash was out.

jbthrash

Nut Breaker
I'm actually fine with his variations. The invisibility is the only one I'm not confident with. I'm guessing that's the more balanced variation you would go with if your unsure of your opponents strengths and weaknesses.

I think nimble will be a great anti-zoner variation, and I think noxious will be a great ant-rushdown/grappler variation. With these variations he seems to have a good set of tools for any situation.

Of course these are just my assumptions.

I was a little disappointed with the lack of individuality on his variations
at first tbh, it did seem like he was a under done in comparison to some of the other reveals but now it's had time to sink in I'm pretty hype.
I mained him in MK9 and that was enough for me, he seems to have more tools this time around so I'm pumped.

ShArp

Dedicated Broly main
Reptile looks lame as fcuk I agree.

@ZigZag I disagree about Raiden's x-ray. It looks Godly-good IMO. He's a God afterall xD

NurzBenny

Old Member
Not getting the variation hate at all. For one I think it's cool as hell he retains all his base tools. I'm personally jealous of Reptile mains from MK9, your learning curve is going to be lower from a basics perspective. You got your guy back in full, and better.

The mix up potential of full invisibility is clear (get it, sorry, I'll see myself out)
Reptile's variations are fine.

Look, you're missing the forest for the trees, here.

Has it occurred to anyone, anyone at all, that because of the core design of Reptile, that he doesn't need a bunch of fancy variations? That all he might need are a simple, passive buff, the ability to go FULL invisible for FREE, and a way to extend his combos?

If you are of the school of thought that he is a copy/paste from MK9(and I don't necessarily think this is 100% true), then you know that the following things were true:

Reptile's zoning was good. Not great, not amazing, not Kenshi or Freddy, but good. Solid.
Reptile's pressure was good. Not great, not amazing, not Sonya or Johnny Cage, but good. Solid.

So already, you have a character that can do a little bit of everything. Maybe not as well as the guys that specialize in either or, but he has tools for different situations. So if your base character already has these tools, why would you fuck around with the design with a bunch of unnecessary, elaborate, gimmicky stuff?

You have his Deceptive variation. I wrote a pile of stuff about this in UsedForGlue's other thread. Go read it. I really don't want to re-write it, here.

You have his Noxious variation. Does anyone here remember how god damn annoying/heart-breaking it was to fight a Black Adam player to a very close life situation, only to have him fucking walk at you and kill you? Or Black Adams that got a big lead, walked back, and threw shit at you, knowing that when you tried to hit them you would take damage? The same applies here, only it NEVER GOES AWAY, AND YOU CAN BUFF IT TO DO MORE DAMAGE. Why on earth is that considered bad? That's fucking good. You don't NEED to be constantly in that ass like someone in this lame thread already said. You go in. You get a decent lead. You back off and do some zoning and make them come to you. Then you punish their approach attempt with a downpoke, or elbow dash, or anti-air, or something like that. Even if they DO get in, you are dealing damage to them while blocking.

You are doing damage to them while you're BLOCKING. Do you realize that this essentially makes Reptile amazing at winning The Clutch moment? On top of that, you still take damage while you're hitting him. You could be doing the game-winning combo when his enhanced chip just fucking kills you. Just fucking kills you, like that. Wow. What a nightmare. I would hate having to deal with that. Did I mention that the base version is free, and never goes away? It's free, and never goes away. Holy hell.

You have his nimble variation. Can we talk about how absolutely terrifying this variation could be? The Flash never had projectiles. He especially never had projectiles that went across the screen at different speeds, and could be enhanced to go faster/slower, and could be stopped at any point on their travel. Now imagine all of that, but you now slow down time. You MIGHT(notice the word choice) start a combo, go into Nimble, put out an enhanced Fast ball, continue your combo and have them LAND on your fast ball by the time the nimble is finished. This is only a hypothetical. I don't know that it's true. Even if you can't do that, do you realize how amazing your screen control could be if you could put out a slowball, go Nimble, and then just react to whatever they try to do? Try to jump? Get anti-aired. Stand and block? Thanks bro, I'm going to run in and start pressure. Oh, by the way? My slowball is still behind me and when this slow-mo bullshit is over, you're still going to have to deal with that. What if, with proper spacing, you could use Reptile's throw while in nimble to throw people ONTO your forceball? How awesome does that sound?

The TL;DR version: Reptile's variations aren't meant to be three different dudes. They're meant to enhance the shit he's already good at and compliment his existing tools. I don't have to re-learn my character three god damn times? Fucking right.

How on earth could that even remotely be considered bad?
Couldn't have said it any better myself. If I was a reptile main (and who's to say I won't be) I'd be ecstatic at all the stuff he's gotten. Not getting the variation hate. Reptile vs. Kitana was the first time I actually got a feel for what the game might actually play like, they seem beyond complete. Fun times are to come

ShArp

Dedicated Broly main
Well I dont care, it's way better than the old one and atleast this one fits his God character. So yeah...

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
invisibility when you have health bar advantage, when you are winning the round and have full screen distance advantage, and when close distance, to confuse if next attack will come high or low, seems good if well used .... this Reptile, overall, looks much more reliable as character than his MK9 version ....

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
As someone already posted Reptiles specials could be there own variations kinda.

They could of just gave him spit, normal force ball and slide (3 universals like most of the other cast) and then spread out his other specials as their own variations. especially with that shit he can do with Force ball Slow, Fast, super Slow, super Fast, MB and stop it anywhere on the screen, the MB acid Spit, Elbow dash, OH, and the hop move etc...

But his fatality was lack luster why is so evenly split down the middle they could of at least made it look like he he ripped the head in 2, or even better squashed it in on itself

For now, I see Reptile's projectiles like ex force ball as a more useful tool for spacing/setups than pure zoning. I'm sure nimble variation isn't a zoning variation lol.
Space control not Freddy projectile death. Reptile has godlike space control tools

Black Shroud

Formless Like Water
As someone already posted Reptiles specials could be there own variations kinda.

They could of just gave him spit, normal force ball and slide (3 universals like most of the other cast) and then spread out his other specials as their own variations. especially with that shit he can do with Force ball Slow, Fast, super Slow, super Fast, MB and stop it anywhere on the screen, the MB acid Spit, Elbow dash, OH, and the hop move etc...
This would make MUCH more sense:
-Spit
-Forceballs
-Slide
-Elbow
-Standing claw

Deceptive
+Overhead flip claw
+Invisibility

Noxious
+Acid Puddle
+Acid Cloud

Nimble
+Forceball speed control
+Speed buff

I don't play reptile but I'm tired of him getting the "short end of the stick" when it comes to his design...pure laziness and stupid to take his ability to go invisible (something he has had since the beginning) and make it into its variation, I would have rather him have a special acid variation

Also nimble??? Omg...they might as well throw a DC character in the mix if they gonna be pulling recycled material out of their ass from injustice..sorry that's just what it is, I'm sure they have better creativity then this...honestly there was nothing they could come up with for that long ass tongue of his? Or those sharp ass teeth?

Noxious Variation will be the go to variation for reptile, I personally think its his best variation, and the only one that makes sense for the character...

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
I was expecting Flash's geneijin to return because it was rad as shit, wasn't expecting Reptile to be the one to get it though.

Overall I think he looks great, a lot better then his reveal trailer led me to believe.
Force balls still look lame though.
I kinda figured that Johnny Cage would get something like it, and that variation would be called "Showtime"

G4S MinotaurLord

Wielder of Toxins
I'm eating up all of this "underwhelming Reptile" hate with a mighty grimace because the actual Reptile mains know what the fuck is up. The rest of y'all aren't ready. His movepool is insane. They were very forward about dash still being dash, and despite the "worse animation" on the forceballs, the move itself actually looks better. If you don't see the merit of free full invis, passive PERMANENT DoTs (even when you're getting hit), or flash trait fo free, you're in for a rude awakening when this game comes out. Reptile mains in UMK3 and MK9 had some of the most creative set-ups in MK history, and our tools just multiplied. Your move. Chomp chomp hiss, motherfuckers.

Batman2000

4/14/15 Baby!!!!!
To be honest, this stream killed half of my hype for this game due to the following reasons:

- reptile variations are bland as hell
- is this the best gameplay you can present to ptomote a huge fighting game like mk?
- couldnt they get pro players to demonstrate combos and variations instead of punishing an unsafe move with a fucking throw!
- game seems clunky and boring as fuck
- reptile fatality, so uninspired and boring
- why cant they shut up when an intro dialoge plays?

Seriously im disappointed and i hate it coz i love mk and i want it to shine in the way it deserves.

fuck im out
How about being grateful that we are getting a quality product with tons of hard work being poured into the game, instead of acting like a stingy 6 year old who hasn't gotten their own way and nit-picking every little thing?

NurzBenny

Old Member
random, but is it it out of the realm of possibility that for a fighter who shoots and sprays acid that ya know, when it's not of the corrosive 7 and below on the PH scale variety, it's also a pretty bitchin hallucinogen that can cause time to appear to, get this, SLOW DOWN, which would make an opponent appear to SPEED UP. Now granted, I know Reptile isn't actively spraying opponents with liquid LSD (what a game that would be) but I think it's a pretty nifty, funny design, and I doubt anyone would have a major problem with it had they not seen the Flash first.
"It's lazy" yeah well they brought interactables back to. Who says if you make something you don't have license to run it back? Was it lazy the first time?

G4S MinotaurLord

Wielder of Toxins
Their move: *character cursor: blip blip blip blip *announcer: KUNG LAO
That's fine, I actually really like that match-up in MK9.

On topic: I really want to go in the lab with his normals more than anything, which really do make or break a character. I want to get over the fact that his D4 will likely not be as good and find what works in his new moveset. Speculation is no match for frame data, application, and the meta game as it develops. Some of the biggest factors in MK9's character viability were hit box size, whiffing high(mid) attacks, mobility, and the necessity of armored good moves, which all set MK apart from other FG franchises. IGAU had some of the same factors. It'll be interesting to see how many of these are still largely important in the game. What do you guys think? And from what we've seen of Reptile's movement and normals compared to other characters, does it stack up?

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
I'm shitting bricks here because on the stream one of his 3-hit strings has a very short t-rex arm hit that whiffs mid string. It got used twice or thrice and it missed every time.

However that 2 hit advancing fist string looks promising. But I am not sure there is going to be a safe special to cancel into,as we had the reptile hand in mk9.

As for the Kung Lao matchup, I fear the removal of his crouching frames on acid ball is going to have us eating Teleport 3 all day. Which I hate.

Other normal-related stuff (from
) :

48:22 - weird back-moving overhead? seems very short ranged, hope it's a godlike anti air
48:40 - his D4, looks almost the same as mk9
49:02 - sweep seems fast
49:04 - hell string that misses the mid hit - NOOOOOOOOOO
49:32 - misses again, NO why GOD NO
50:58 - weird fake spit /tongue move - wtf is this
52:39 - overhead move doesn't seem safe at all, bleah
52:51 - two fist move, advancing, crouching, safe, like it

That's all I got.

Last edited:

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
The thing I like best about Reptile in this game is how he is very similar throughout his variations. It unique among the cast. Most characters variations almost makes them a whole new character. Not really the case with Reptile. However, it's still to early to tell.

As for the Kung Lao matchup, I fear the removal of his crouching frames on acid ball is going to have us eating Teleport 3 all day. Which I hate.
t3 has been redesigned as it looks. hope its a true high now (he will get in anyway with all his hat stuff though)

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
I don't play reptile but I'm tired of him getting the "short end of the stick" when it comes to his design...pure laziness and stupid to take his ability to go invisible (something he has had since the beginning) and make it into its variation, I would have rather him have a special acid variation

Also nimble??? Omg...they might as well throw a DC character in the mix if they gonna be pulling recycled material out of their ass from injustice..sorry that's just what it is, I'm sure they have better creativity then this...honestly there was nothing they could come up with for that long ass tongue of his? Or those sharp ass teeth?

Noxious Variation will be the go to variation for reptile, I personally think its his best variation, and the only one that makes sense for the character...
Oh my god.

How? How do you think it is his best variation? You, and everyone else in this retina-aids inducing thread, have not yet played the game. Do we know how often you can acivate Nimble in a round? No. Do we know how much more damage you get from your combos from Nimble? No. Do we know what kind of set-ups having extra-slow, MB Forceballs that you can stop anywhere in the middle of the screen, while time is slowed down will grant you? No.

Again, there is this dumb-ass argument someone made(not you, Scar), "Deerrr, why would I use Deceptive if I can spend meter and get full invis anyway? Deerrrr!"

Hmm...let's think. Spend a meter for a thing....or get that thing for FREE just by holding down a button.

I wonder...I wonder...what good could this variation be for? I mean...the bar I'd normally spend on this MB Invis I could now spend on acid balls, armor on slide, dash, acid spit, interactables, breaker, I dunno...pretty much anything. Wow. How can people not see its value.

Its not lazy design to make a straight-forward, simple character with solid tools. When has Reptile gotten the, "short end of the stick?" He was absolutely fine in MK9. Do Reptile mains really not understand the value of having a character with tools that DON'T need to be overly fucked with and modded in order to be successful? Or how good it is that you will have a character that you don't need to re-learn three times over, which some character mains will?

Christ, you had DOOMBAWKZ in another thread saying that Reptile has mobility problems in MKX, and HE HASN'T EVEN PLAYED THE FINAL GAME. If you watched the stream, Reptile can use the run button like everyone else. If we can walk back and forth, if he can run, if he can cancel that run into specials...like...Oh, I don't know....elbow dash...how the hell does he have problems with MOBILITY?

It's like this site takes a handful of crazy pills everytime they watch a new NRS live stream. It is mind-numbing. Baffling.

ColdSpine

"I wore those colors before you"
How about being grateful that we are getting a quality product with tons of hard work being poured into the game, instead of acting like a stingy 6 year old who hasn't gotten their own way and nit-picking every little thing?

im sorry did i shove my opinion down your throat?

i have the right to express, critiuqe the game i love, u dont agree?

you can express your opinion in a respectful way and we can discuss it like gentlemen.

Still you dont agree?
you can pass its alright

thank you for your cooperation, next plz!