What's new

Question - Reptile Reptile: what's good, what's bad?

HoneyBee

Flash God Lord
I find it exciting that so many people are disappointed with Reptile. It means potentially less people will use him which means it might be something of a rarity to face a high level Reptile. That can be an automatic edge in tournament play. I can already envision a TON of things that his Nimble variation might be capable of. Can't wait to take him to the lab.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
MK9 is not MKX. There was no mention of a damage buff.
There isn't a reason to assume that one of the core functions of a move that returned was taken out when none of the other returning moves lost their functionalities. Of all the moves that have returned with Reptile that we've seen they've only added to them or improved them.

The dash is still the dash from MK9, the spit is still the spit from MK9(with an improved EX), the force ball is still the force ball from MK9(with an improved EX), and slide is still slide from MK9.

Why would invisibility work different given the state of the other moves?

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
If you really think full invisibility from charging it is pointless, you have likely never paid attention to classic MK in competitive play. That is a godsend.

I wish more of his stuff got spread out among the variations, but I get the idea and it makes a lot of sense. And even though none of the variations seem like they'd change a matchup, you have to look beyond the obvious. Having that DOT vs a character that keeps you away well makes for a great reward for getting in. Invisibility would be great vs a character who has better footsies. Nimble is probably his best by far, though.

When you look at how his variations operate, everything is really strong as a whole.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I'm glad there is a character that doesn't have radical differences with each variation and instead has a lot of shared moves in each.

This makes him a more solid character overall.

When a character's variations all make hard rights or hard lefts the player will have to go through hell with seriously skewed match-ups because they lose certain situational abilities to gain other situational abilities.

Reptile is just solid with your choice of a passive buff.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
If the Nimble variation leads to 60% combos off a down 1 people will change their tone.
I personally wont, it's fucking boring and lazy everyone else has this seemingly great mix up on their variations to change the play style of the character where as reptiles are lazy and don't change his style much at all really, I don't care if he can get huge damage from one combo, I care that it kills my fun.

Unlike the TYM community (or it as an extent) i'm not looking for what will be and easy way for me to win, but what's going to be fun to play?
I enjoy the serious competitive side but there's the casual inside of me that says... well that looks boring.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I personally wont, it's fucking boring and lazy everyone else has this seemingly great mix up on their variations to change the play style of the character where as reptiles are lazy and don't change his style much at all really, I don't care if he can get huge damage from one combo, I care that it kills my fun.

Unlike the TYM community (or it as an extent) i'm not looking for what will be and easy way for me to win, but what's going to be fun to play?
I enjoy the serious competitive side but there's the casual inside of me that says... well that looks boring.
They're subtle, but trust me, they change a ton how you approach matchups. I have quite a few ideas running through my head as far as each variation goes.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
They're subtle, but trust me, they change a ton how you approach matchups. I have quite a few ideas running through my head as far as each variation goes.
I'll level with you i'm not saying it's not going to change gameplay at all, but there's nothing really too interesting there for us to play with, everyone else gets some cool new gadgets which will for sure change their matchups, we remain the same in terms of our kit with a different gimmick, I think i'll just stick with his regular variation but I'm still going to have to explore how much these other variations can amount to in terms of being enjoyable.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
All of these variations just give him a ton of potential damage, and I love it.

-Stupid 50/50's due to you opponent not being able to actually see you to block accordingly + a (almost certain) damage buff to all attacks.
-The ability to have three DOTs popping off at the same time as well as being able to add damage to combos without actually doing extra attacks.
-Extended combos and juggles due to time slowing.

Reptile is definitely a "In the right hands" type of character.

RiverHB

Noob
What's fun for people is subjective, so I cannot argue that. However, there will likely be more to the Nimble variation than just a single, massive combo. This could provide depth to his pressure or zoning. We'll have to see how much it really affects the opposition's frames, but I'm optimistic it will have much depth.
The cool down on the move will be interesting as well. Hopefully in the final version you can throw it out more than once a round.

Sorta underwhelming. He's cool, but I really think that as far as variations go his are super uninteresting?

Stink cloud- interesting potential. His coolest one.
Flash mode- It's flash. We all know this.
Invis- This move has NEVER been good enough to justify an entire variation, especially compared to how strong these other two will be. What are they thinking?

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
Also i'm betting the majority of commenters in this thread are 100% not maining reptile.
I don't get how so many people can commit to a character so far before release. I can't pick a main until I've played a lot of a bunch of characters and pick the most fun one

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Sorta underwhelming. He's cool, but I really think that as far as variations go his are super uninteresting?

Stink cloud- interesting potential. His coolest one.
Flash mode- It's flash. We all know this.
Invis- This move has NEVER been good enough to justify an entire variation, especially compared to how strong these other two will be. What are they thinking?
Like I said before, last time it came with a damage buff.

Seeing as how all his other signature moves are the same as they were in MK9, there's no reason to assume this move still doesn't have one of it's main functions.

Like I said before, last time it came with a damage buff.

Seeing as how all his other signature moves are the same as they were in MK9, there's no reason to assume this move still doesn't have one of it's main functions.
I know, but I still don't think it's good enough.

All 3 of his variation moves require what seems to be the same amount of space to activate, with exception to the stink which requires space to improve.

The stink will likely have to be toned down. It seems you can get passive damage while being combo'd, which is just disgusting, and it's inherently hellish for a melee player. Especially since reptile players give up nothing to choose it.

The flash force is obviously going to lead to some disgusting setups, and by extension, higher damage.

So in short, we've already got 2 moves that give more damage. One passively and in a VERY powerful way, and one that can possibly be done mid combo, and will enhance it tremendously.

The idea that a damage boost and the invis is going to compete with that is something i'm having trouble with. Maybe it'll be best if he's going to want to zone heavily? Get a kd, go invis, throw balls+acid with dash threat? I dunno. I'm just not feeling it.