What's new

Question - Reptile Reptile: what's good, what's bad?

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
So not only did I want to make a post about his variations now we have had a look at them but I want to talk about the kind of character he will be to players both casual and professional.
(There's a tl;dr at the bottom)

First off he's this weird mix of what reptile was and this thrown in extra of how the flash player was in Injustice.
At first it seemed flash might require some effort to play to which eventually he was actually pretty easy... they said Reptile is the easy guy to play and that I don't mind so much but the fact he's also got a variation which directly rips off the flashes trait just puts it more and more in my head that alot of the flash mentality will be put into reptile in MKX, however saying this he's clearly got alot more than flash and different styles.

His variations don't look all that much different really do they?
there's MK9 Reptile, his main one which is basically exactly how he was previously (wooo) with the added addition of his EX spit being (IMO) better as with the force balls being able to be stopped wherever you like adding setups and pressure and his already apparent rush down get in your face style means this will be a problem when used correctly!
He now has an overhead which can be EX'd into a combo starter/extender, this is wonderful news before I would blindly dash around doing Ji2 to hit my crouching opponents but now I don't even have to leave the ground.

His force balls as I mentioned can be halted anywhere during their time of flight across the screen and they will stay there for all of time from what it seems (until your opponent collides with it).
The amount of setups possible from this is amazing before our biggest setup to cause pressure with those balls was to run with our slow ball but now we could run with our slow ball halt it before it gets there and bait them into it, we can use it on knocked down opponents in corners to really keep them trapped there, all these great things!(Forceball halted in front of knocked down opponent in the corner would force them to block, therefore we'd get a great chance at a 50/50 with our new over head or hitting low with slide or any combo starter if possible)

However his Noxious variation looks pretty over the top and that life drain is just a little too crazy, especially the fact we can kill opponents as they kill us, i'm not so sure how long it will be before some of the damage gets tweaked on this, i'm looking mainly at when you buff it up, it doesn't seem to OTT without being buffed up however, this variation seems all about being close to your opponent at all times so would be perfect against those who struggle at full screen or struggle with characters that have high pressure in the first place.

Did someone say Nimble?
This looks like GARBAGE, okay that's not being 100% fair as my opinion is definitely thrown in here, the variation itself looks pretty strong as it's like having Flashes trait from injustice on hand every time you need it, heck this variation looks so strong if you get the right launches and timing you could annihilate your opponents in one or two combos pretty convincingly.
BUT BOY DO I HATE IT! It just screams laziness to me, it's like taking one thing you already did in another game (that wasn't MK) and just throwing it on reptile because it kiiinddaa makes sense...
I'm not pleased with this one at all and was hoping for a variation which changed him up quite alot, however across all 3 variations he remains remotely the same.

So overall he 3 variations has most of the move set that his MK9 version had, this is great in one aspect as each variation will allow you to do something slightly different whether you like being in peoples faces but are too terrible to open someone up you can just get free damage for being in, or whether you liked the Flash in Injustice or perhaps you just wanted to Reptile how he should be it's your choice without sacrificing what Reptiles moveset really is, it's still all there so he'll be very easy to pick up entirely as I can see it.

He looks pretty great overall and like he's only got more options now which is fantastic as he was already fairly decent as he was in MK9, however I still feel he could have had more creativity employed into his variations as we see other characters getting.

Thanks for reading!

EDITED THINGS I FORGOT:
He no longer looks like a green pigeon.
His alt costume actually looks pretty sick!

tl;dr = Reptile will be one of the easier characters to pick up and wont take alot of practice to learn all 3 variations, some laziness or lack of creativity obviously happened somewhere in his design but overall he looks improved from his previous MK9 self.

Last edited:
E

Eldriken

His variations all seem lackluster, but the worst one by far is probably his Noxious variation. His seemingly "best" variation looks like it will be Nimble, however. But the other two, not so much.

His fatality was lacking as well. They could have done a lot more with it.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
Reptile seems very half-assed at the moment compared to the other characters. Hopefully they change that come release.

Did they even show his xray?
I don't even think they did, they forgot to show the EX version of Kitana's neck slice to even mentioned it but never bothered lol oh well.
but still it kinda sucks that even though there's been some clear work on his character that's really great and by the quips before rounds he even might have a bigger story role... his variations are a complete let down.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
They showed his x-ray on his first video trailer reveal where he's fighting kung lao. You don't remember it?
AAHH Yes lots of shit to do with the eyes or something? he really liked getting in there right?

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
Not gonna lie his X-ray is pretty good not gonna knock that one, the jaw breaking and eye plunging had me cringing!
A good X-ray always has me like AWWWH DAMN THAT LOOKS PAINFUL, not like that rework shit they did on Raiden... looks tooooo.. superheroish (Shazam) to be a viscous attack.

But yeah Reptiles is fine.

RiverHB

Noob
The good:
-He can hold his balls at any time for mind games
-Retains a lot of moves across variations for consistent performance
-Has armor day 1 in his slide
-Dash looks as if it has good whiff recovery
-EX spit looks to have good synergy with the Noxious variation

The bad:
-Some may argue each variation only provides a simple buff, and not enough variety to swing poor match ups into his favor (Obviously only time will tell)
-If you don't value invisibility, one variation appears 100% useless
-His profile is no longer lowered when emptying his balls on screen.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
Honestly, Reptile's invisibility variation is the stupidest concept I've seen. Like "Oh if you hold down the button, you can do mb invisibility without wasting meter!" smh
Yep Kitana really stole this stream for me, she looks so good now without losing too much of what she was and he assassin variation looks really fun, I was watching this to get my reptile dose of action but ended up being more hyped for Kitana honestly.
If they had not shown the other two variations I would still be waay more excited for reptile than I'm feeling now.

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
Lets just hope some things change from now until release in regards to his invisibility variation. Hopefully they add something else to it.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
Honestly they should scrap that Nimble one and just have had it revolve around it being quick and speedy, maybe throw in a parry as if he has super quick reactions, do something with his dash, maybe increase his run speed over others, or MAYBE have one that includes his toungue as more of a weapon make him about spacing.

That noxious shit perhaps only apply that on hit that drains their health for a period of time and not constantly when close to them.
I mean jesus NRS come on... I want reptile to be diverse.

Last edited:

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
I kind of like his Noxious variation and his Fatality was awesome, but Reptile looks so underwhelming compared to the rest of the cast. Both design (visually) and gameplay-wise.

Kevin 7

The bad boy scout
Reptile seems very half-assed at the moment compared to the other characters. Hopefully they change that come release.

Did they even show his xray?
We have to realize that these guys aren't going to be very thorough as we or other hardcore players. So I imagine that their summary of what everything does was half assed. I can't imagine that they would have only 1 thing different about each variation since variations is the one of the biggest features in MKX.

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
Honestly they should scrap that Nimble one and just have had it revolve around it being quick and speedy, maybe throw in it's parry as if he has super quick reactions, do something with his dash, maybe increase he run speed over others, or MAYBE have one that includes his toungue as more of a weapon make him about spacing.

That noxious shit perhaps only apply that on hit that drains their health for a period of time and not constantly when close to them.
I mean jesus NRS come on... I want reptile to be diverse.
Noxious does damage if they are close to him period.

E

Eldriken

We have to realize that these guys aren't going to be very thorough as we or other hardcore players. So I imagine that their summary of what everything does was half assed. I can't imagine that they would have only 1 thing different about each variation since variations is the one of the biggest features in MKX.
But they showed all the different stuff that other characters had in their different variations. It would make zero sense for them to not do the same for Reptile.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
Noxious does damage if they are close to him period.
I know... but whyyy?
Like you can buff it up and get in and just have tonnes of damage, even when you're being juggled you're doing even a little damage back to them just whyy? it's not even good in a casual players perspective it's just lazy.