What's new

Match-up Discussion Reptile Matchup Discussion Thread

Temjiin

www.mkxframedata.com
I've played Pig's Kenshi many times, the fact I saw fit to mention it here is because for our first 3 or 4 fights I was hitting him with it every time I could get it out, he adjusted quickly after realising it wasn't a glitch but then I started doing a whiffed dash at full screen and fast forceball just outside of rising karma range. Pig's Kenshi is the best I've played by a mile and he did beat me probably 60% of the time we played this matchup, however his is the only Kenshi that has given me any kinds of problems really.

The cancel is not guaranteed against Kenshi, he can recover to block the ex fast fb, however Nightwolf is popped up every time if he tries to reflect, and Lordofthefly found this out against me too for a few matches before he too adjusted. You can't use this on Smoke, he can shake from cancel to a full charge.

I think this matchup is essentially a chess game. Reptile has alot of ways to get in and Kenshi has alot of ways to keep him out. Reptile is actually quite safe at fullscreen from Kenshi. A dash will bypass most of what he can use against you, Kenshi is more dangerous from halfscreen. I find from fullscreen dash-fast fb or dash-ex slide will get you in.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I want to know what you guys think about reptile vs stryker. That match up is 10 - 0 to me due to elbow dash. You guys put it at 6-4 im curious to know why
If Reptile can start up any pressure or zoning stryker is hurting unless he burns meter for the armored roll, but if rep can't get anything started stryker has a shot.

Seapeople

This one's for you
Nah I don't think that will work because d4~sfb doesn't combo. What about d4~slide for a safe option though?

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
If Reptile can start up any pressure or zoning stryker is hurting unless he burns meter for the armored roll, but if rep can't get anything started stryker has a shot.
What exactly do you guys struggle with against Stryker?...well besides getting out-zoned. Hey Reptile_8417, you should add me on PSN REKYRTS_

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Nah I don't think that will work because d4~sfb doesn't combo. What about d4~slide for a safe option though?
Nah we are talking about about if an sfb is already on screen and then you d4 and the sfb hit right after, and d4 slide is a good mix up but isn't safe.

Temjiin

www.mkxframedata.com
Why would d4 slide be safe? That's asking for a full combo punish? I use 4, slide for anti air but it's not a safe mixup either.

The only d4 cancels worth using currently are d4 acid hand and d4 invis in my opinion.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
What exactly do you guys struggle with against Stryker?...well besides getting out-zoned. Hey Reptile_8417, you should add me on PSN REKYRTS_
Well that armored roll can stuff a lot of things I try to do. He has got good mix ups that can be a bit ambiguous, can stryker not roll fb's like mileena or is his hitbox too big?

Temjiin those are the only ones I use for sure, but for those who use d4 slide it's good for catching people off guard, if you use it sparingly.

Seapeople

This one's for you
Nah we are talking about about if an sfb is already on screen and then you d4 and the sfb hit right after, and d4 slide is a good mix up but isn't safe.
Since d4~sfb doesn't combo, I meant that your setup probably wont either. It's a cool idea to try though.
And I meant d4~slide as a mixup after dashing in front of a sfb. I know it's dumb by itself lol

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
Well that armored roll can stuff a lot of things I try to do. He has got good mix ups that can be a bit ambiguous, can stryker not roll fb's like mileena or is his hitbox too big?
wait! you mean Mileena can roll under force ball :confused: now im pissed...but know stryker cant roll under force ball, only spit. After that everything else beats roll toss, baton sweep, gunshot at jumping distance, and the infamous standing 3 that usually stuffs SZ slides

Temjiin

www.mkxframedata.com
If I can get a slow fb on screen I'd go for the classic jip 321 acid hand.... I think it's 8% chip (might be 7) and half a bar built. I think an opponent can punish you after blocking the slow fb and slide with certain characters?

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Since d4~sfb doesn't combo, I meant that your setup probably wont either. It's a cool idea to try though.
And I meant d4~slide as a mixup after dashing in front of a sfb. I know it's dumb by itself lol
Oh man ok my b hahaha, having a moment here. Yeah I don't think it would work either but I'm still going to try it lol, and d4 slide could be good, but if I'm going to come in and pressure with d4 I'm going for the d4 acid hand or d4 invis ex elbow dash, they are safe and you can continue pressure even if they are blocked, and keep pushing them back to keep the fb on screen. Of course if you do d4 invis ex elbow dash the fb would hit the opponent while blocking though lol, and I think 321 acid hand is 8%.

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
In the Jax match-up his low string starter, if you block the first low kick you can instantly uppercut/dash or if you're timing is perfect 2 into forceball for full combo before his other 2 hits come out. Never knew this, thought I'd pass it along.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
In the Jax match-up his low string starter, if you block the first low kick you can instantly uppercut/dash or if you're timing is perfect 2 into forceball for full combo before his other 2 hits come out. Never knew this, thought I'd pass it along.
Interesting...

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I'm starting to look at Reptile's matchups...and I'm starting to realize his matchups are much better than I thought. I can only think of a handful of bad matchups:

Mileena
Freddy
Sektor
Liu Kang
Sonya

Only Mileena, Freddy and Sonya strike me as more than 4.5-5.5, and I'm not even sure if Liu Kang counts as that bad anymore.

The rest are pretty much even or in Reptile's advantage...and I'm realizing it's more advantage matchups than I thought.

Enenra

Go to hell.
I'm starting to look at Reptile's matchups...and I'm starting to realize his matchups are much better than I thought. I can only think of a handful of bad matchups:

Mileena
Freddy
Sektor
Liu Kang
Sonya

Only Mileena, Freddy and Sonya strike me as more than 4.5-5.5, and I'm not even sure if Liu Kang counts as that bad anymore.

The rest are pretty much even or in Reptile's advantage...and I'm realizing it's more advantage matchups than I thought.
Mileena is a whore and the only reason I really lean away from Reptile and towards Smoke. I hope she dies and never comes back for MK10

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Mileena is a whore and the only reason I really lean away from Reptile and towards Smoke. I hope she dies and never comes back for MK10
I'm starting to think that sonya is her worst matchup honestly but idk, they both just shut reptile down.

sent from Gotham City via the batcomputer

I think jax has a lot of problem dealing with low hit box character though.

Reptile_8417
I somehow agree with this, sonya is a worst mu than mileena. I mean since mileena used to be "the worst" mu so we all learn them. No one has been fighting sonya with reptile.

Can somebody explain to me how Noob and Sub-Zero are not bad matchups for Reptile?
Probably my 2 most familiar mu after winterfest tournament.

Reptile shuts down all noob's movesets, block shadow=dash punish, wiff upknee= dash punish, close range reptile is better, dash can get into noob's face pretty easily. Need to play a bit of footsie around jumping range. Play a bit patient, I loss because I wasnt patient and didnt know the match up.

Sub isnt that bad. He needs to have the ice clone up, but if he puts it up he can be zoned out. If he doesnt put up clone and shoot that ice ball (3/4 to full screen), reptile can dash then jump into a full punish combo. But sub zero always win trading projectile, so its pretty even. But I still think its 5-5 reptile advantage.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Can somebody explain to me how Noob and Sub-Zero are not bad matchups for Reptile?
Noob matchup has gotten less lopsided since Noob gained his buff on teleport (Before, it was 7-3 because there was nothing Noob could do the minute a shadow was blocked...Reptile could forceball and unless he could jump it, there was no check for it...this left Reptile open to do whatever he felt like doing), but basically, at no part of the screen does Noob even have an advantage at. Throwing a shadow and having it blocked gives up any advantage Noob has, because either it'll be punished or Reptile will elbow in and be able to clear another shadow with a jump, or Reptile can just sit back and throw a forceball to get you to start teleslamming. Reptile walks over him. This matchup is probably still 7-3.

Vs Sub is even. The neutral game isn't favorable for either character, and Sub has a much more difficult time keeping Reptile cornered now because of EX slide. Armor buff was useless for Sub...it's not useless for Reptile.

Salad, Sub doesn't always win projectile trades. Reptile can time forceballs so that he trades favorably. Reptile is practically the only character who does that well.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
Noob matchup has gotten less lopsided since Noob gained his buff on teleport (Before, it was 7-3 because there was nothing Noob could do the minute a shadow was blocked...Reptile could forceball and unless he could jump it, there was no check for it...this left Reptile open to do whatever he felt like doing), but basically, at no part of the screen does Noob even have an advantage at. Throwing a shadow and having it blocked gives up any advantage Noob has, because either it'll be punished or Reptile will elbow in and be able to clear another shadow with a jump, or Reptile can just sit back and throw a forceball to get you to start teleslamming. Reptile walks over him. This matchup is probably still 7-3.

Vs Sub is even. The neutral game isn't favorable for either character, and Sub has a much more difficult time keeping Reptile cornered now because of EX slide. Armor buff was useless for Sub...it's not useless for Reptile.

Salad, Sub doesn't always win projectile trades. Reptile can time forceballs so that he trades favorably. Reptile is practically the only character who does that well.
Thanks. I don't have a lot of experience with the matchups.

Guys I just saw the smoke 100% reset, well all i have to say is HE NEEDS IT!! lol, anyways. I really become worry about this bullshit and I accept this bullshit so I have to learn to deal with, and im pretty sure there will be a lot of people will pick up smoke in the future. Anyone has a lot of exp with this match up that could give a full match up experience on this?

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Salad PetreskyAlso I play smoke very patiently, wait for him to finish strings get advantage with ex elbow dash elbow dash past smoke bombs, the only a projectile I use is ex sfb to try to bait shake and punish it.Yeah man she shuts down even more of reps game than mileena, she can get full combos by punishing ex elbow dashes with dive kicks in the middle of the move, you can't zone unless you are charging an ex fb or 3/4 screen or greater. Ex cartwheel blows up anything and everything up close. I am really trying to delve into this mu like I did with mileena, but I'm not finding anything.

Reptile_8417
Im not even sure about the normal sfb part man, my friend who play a little bit of smoke can even punish it with teleport on reaction. I doubt that good player would not do that. The recovery on it is just too slow.