What's new

Opinions on which characters are not top 8 viable in the current meta-game?

ceemurda

Tha BLakk ROBOCOP
Look at what happens when anger gets put aside.. MASTERPIECE!!! And very true- so proud of you :)

The bad thing is.. All these knee jerk reactions to characters like DS and Scorpion are being spearheaded by well known, big name player(s) and they are doing more to hurt those characters than any good.. Very sad to see.. A la JWongs Sent from MvC3... People can't leave well enough alone..

As far as being lazy.... YESSSSSSSSS..why switch characters if you are wiping the floor with Supes Or BA? Why the same top characters top the same results each and every tournament..
Its the worse thing in the world to go to one tourney a year after months of playing an honest team to face the same s tier shell 3x in a row while the people behind you shake their head and groan because they might be eliminated next.. Worst pool ever...

Then I go play sfxtk to face some of the best to play the game in dieminion and infiltration.. Worst tourney experience ever..

Next year I hope im not getting f23'd by the army of supes following evo.. Or at the fall classic..

Hopefully zod will be a troll character...

Sent from my SCH-R920 using Tapatalk 2

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
Its the worse thing in the world to go to one tourney a year after months of playing an honest team to face the same s tier shell 3x in a row while the people behind you shake their head and groan because they might be eliminated next.. Worst pool ever...

Then I go play sfxtk to face some of the best to play the game in dieminion and infiltration.. Worst tourney experience ever..

Next year I hope im not getting f23'd by the army of supes following evo.. Or at the fall classic..

Hopefully zod will be a troll character...

Can't say that I can relate.. However I have sympathy pains.. And yes.. That blows. Good luck against the Men of Steal army.. May you swings be filled with kryptonite :)

Vagrant

Noob
I'll put it this way.

If I were to see bane lobo hawkgirl or joker in my pool I know as long as I play smart, I'm sending them to losers.

Sinestro's FB has NEVER been mid on most of the cast. Anyways, a player can place well with a character regardless of their tier position. Also keep in mind that at the beginning of MK's life Ermac was placing high. Take a look at where that character stands now...
That's what I'm saying :-D

BigC

I'm great in my world.
I'd have to say Bane is top 8 viable, but no one has really shown that yet. If a player wants to play a huge character they opt for DD who everyone knows is very good. If a player keeps a Bane out side where he can't attack, he's predictable. He can't do anything but charge, and that has a fairly slow start and a simple, fast projectile can stop it, Banes done if he doesn't get in. Now if you make a mistake and let Bane in, you better hope he drops a combo. Bane is dangerous, very dangerous.

Now back on topic, out of your list, Joker is no where near viable IMO. What does Joker have that someone else doesn't do better. How many Joker players are even out there. I can't say I've seen a single one playing at a tournament. No one has looked at him yet, and the longer people wait, the longer it takes for him to be buffed, or for all we know nerfed. At this point of the game, Joker is not Top 8 viable.

ceemurda

Tha BLakk ROBOCOP
I'd have to say Bane is top 8 viable, but no one has really shown that yet. If a player wants to play a huge character they opt for DD who everyone knows is very good. If a player keeps a Bane out side where he can't attack, he's predictable. He can't do anything but charge, and that has a fairly slow start and a simple, fast projectile can stop it, Banes done if he doesn't get in. Now if you make a mistake and let Bane in, you better hope he drops a combo. Bane is dangerous, very dangerous.

Now back on topic, out of your list, Joker is no where near viable IMO. What does Joker have that someone else doesn't do better. How many Joker players are even out there. I can't say I've seen a single one playing at a tournament. No one has looked at him yet, and the longer people wait, the longer it takes for him to be buffed, or for all we know nerfed. At this point of the game, Joker is not Top 8 viable.
Banes buffs made him a ton better especially seeing that it only 2x to get him by him and it curtains to my lifebar.. I use to main him until lobo came out though bane is bstter than lobo I like lobos grappler setups better..

Jokers high execution (teeth loops) and his non meaty parry trait hold him back from being gdlk but you never know

BigC

I'm great in my world.
Banes buffs made him a ton better especially seeing that it only 2x to get him by him and it curtains to my lifebar.. I use to main him until lobo came out though bane is bstter than lobo I like lobos grappler setups better..

Jokers high execution (teeth loops) and his non meaty parry trait hold him back from being gdlk but you never know

True, we don't know. Who knows what will come about.

DesuBlade

Augmented Wallet Squeeze
Looking at all these replies makes me upset to see that people really think Lobo is that bad. Sure, he's no S or A-Tier, but he isn't that bad. He takes dedication and you really have to make the most out of what little he has. Honestly, if Lobo had more range on his Low Chain and had 1 hit of armor on his command throw and had slightly faster normals, he'd be in Top 8 consistently. That Lobo that was at North West Majors was a joke of a Lobo(No offense). Please don't think Lobo is that bad if that's your first time seeing him in Tournament.

LanceMonsoon

All in on Johnny Football
Can't not include Flash in this. Remember when Fab got 3rd with Lex a couple weeks ago? People are still saying Lex needs help. Flash for SURE needs help. I assume not many people mentioned him because he's so forgettable.
Lol, good point. I actually do forget he's in the game sometimes kind of like Stryker in the MK9 days haha.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Thats bullshit

One day, I have to avenge all those Kano-related ass kickings and do battle with your Shazam.

I remember what it's like to be fool enough to give benefit of doubt to people who criticize the low tier.
I will not make the same mistake again with Mr. Batson.

Dude's name is SHAZAM for christ's sake. All he needs is Foxy Cleopatra as his valet, and he's instant S-Tier.

ceemurda

Tha BLakk ROBOCOP
Buff the following characters.

Ares
Cyborg
Deathstroke
Harley Quinn
Lex Luthor
Lobo
Sinestro
The Joker
I think cyborg is fine.. Only thing I dont like about my favorite character is butthole of a trait.. Its not worth risking regenerating health when it comes back so slow..

Oh and I dont like the input for the zip line

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
I think cyborg is fine.. Only thing I dont like about my favorite character is butthole of a trait.. Its not worth risking regenerating health when it comes back so slow..

Oh and I dont like the input for the zip line

Welcome to the butthole trait club- Harley , Cyborg and Joker exclusive club- we have jackets :D

Spyridon
But then these players would have to play out of their comfort zone and how many people out there are willing to do that?
You are correct to a point, and I completely understand what you are saying. but some players actually do play lower tier chars and try to win. Sometimes the well known pros do it (as I mentioned before I'm newer in this community, but in Marvel JWong played Iron Fist for a looong time). You actually gave a great example of this as well about Sinestro.

I'm not the only one who thinks that tier lists at this point are way too early and it's all about logic. There was a guy who made a brilliant comment in the first tier list thread
Well, that's why I'm working to differentiate this from a tier list! This list has some very notable differences from a tier list.

1) A tier list typically discourages players from playing anyone from the top few characters. This list instead gives players comfort that if their character is one of the majority not on this list they can become a top player if they try hard enough, as well as giving people a reason to work on tech for these characters. Effectively encouraging player of all characters, rather than the few of a tier list.

2) Tier lists are based upon opinion that can never be proven true or false and are 100% speculation. This list consists of opinions thatcan be proven false, and challenging players to attempt to prove it false is actually encouraged. If you prove this list wrong, it means it was a success!

3) As one of the points you mentioned, tier lists (especially early ones) often organize characters by how easy they are to play. This list is not about how easy one is to play, but if one is even possible to play at the highest level. There are high execution or harder to play characters in any game that find success, just as well as there are easy to play characters that dominate new players but don't succeed in play at the highest level. Since this list is based on success, rather than pure opinions or difficulty to play, it should be considered different from a tier list.

4) Tier lists are almost completely non-constructive. They serve no purpose but to argue over which characters are best and who should be placed where. This list is created with constructive intents - to get more attention to the characters that need help, to point out what characters need new tech the most, to challenge players to do good with these characters if they disagree with their placement, to give us a place to discuss what the non-competitive characters might need, and hopefully give NRS some good feedback on what characters need the most work.

For a perfect example of these points, just look at Doomsday's performance in todays tournament! All the word going around was that he was a weak character and needs buffs, but some players still stick to him. If this were a tier list and Doomsday was low tier and won, it encourages nothing but arguments about his placement. But this list? It's awesome for this list that Doomsday won - it immediately removes him from this list, and you can't build a strong argument against actual results. And Doomsday used to be a fairly popular character, but most players consider him too weak to be able to get results (meaning harder to play). But he did it, and that's awesome! And if anything it should stress the biggest differences between this and a tier list.

I'm not qualified to say that Bane is good enough to get into the TOP 8, nor am I qualified to say that he isn't - but there is nothing that restricts me from saying that there MIGHT be some stuff we don't know yet and to discover that stuff we need dedicated players like RYX who invest time and thoughts into the characters.
That's the thing about this list, you don't "have" to be qualified to share your opinions like you do with a tier list. Because you are not trying to "be right". In the end you can share your thoughts in hopes that you are wrong. I hope we're wrong about every single character on this list. I hope there are new stuff to discover about these characters. And I hope that if a dedicated player reads this post and thinks they can tear the place up with Bane or Harley I hope this gives them a little bit of encouragement to do so. To those dedicated players like RYX, I hope they see this post, and if they disagree with the placement of anyone here, prove it! Try to find new tech! Share it with others! Work as a community to try to prove this list wrong and get that character in the top 8!

And we're not going to get that from high level players, because they always use the strongest characters, which is totally fine in the end of the day.
We shouldn't generalize. Everyones opinion of the strongest characters could potentially be different. Some high level players don't play only high tier characters. Most people thought Doomsday was trash, but apparently Reggie disagreed and thought he was one of the strongest characters, and took him to great success!

But what that means is that the "unviable" characters are only not viable, because tournament players are not picking them up, because there are few specific, stronger and easier-to-use characters.
Your generalizing again, that's harmful to constructive discussion! Once a player feels comfortable enough to bring a character in a tournament they will - sure more people play easier characters but not everyone! Also keep in mind that as time goes on players are going to branch out from the "easier" characters same as they do in every game.

When other people finally unlock the potential of "low tiers" we will see quite some new stuff, even in tournaments I hope.

I hope so too! Before this post I'm not sure if you realized, but that's the intent of this list. I hope I explained things well, and I hope you understand a bit better that there's no reason to be ashamed to add someone to this list, because it should only encourage new stuff for these characters, and we should all be hoping the characters will be removed from this list soon!

Sorry for such a long winded response, I just wanted to try to explain the topic a bit more thoroughly because I really do intend for this to be constructive discussion. I hope after this we can focus back on that constructive discussion without further explanation getting in the way ;)

And please, don't let not feeling qualified get in the way, if you know any character decently well and feel they deserve to be on this list, please participate! There's no shame in adding someone to this list hoping they don't belong here :D

This list instead gives players comfort that if their character is one of the majority not on this list they can become a top player if they try hard enough, as well as giving people a reason to work on tech for these characters. Effectively encouraging player of all characters, rather than the few of a tier list [...]

[...] This list consists of opinions that can be proven false, and challenging players to attempt to prove it false is actually encouraged. If you prove this list wrong, it means it was a success!
LOL! You really are new to this community.

Forget about it. The people on Testyourmight are way too simple- and close-minded to think about such an approach.
As a matter of fact, I actually tried the same thing few days ago and it got closed without naming any real reason by one of Earths worst moderators:

http://testyourmight.com/threads/a-new-approach-to-tier-lists-in-injustice-wall-of-text.33441/

Do yourself a favour and don't waste your own time with open-minded approaches like this.
This community can't handle innovation. In their minds the Earth is still flat and Santa Claus exists.

Forget about it. The people on Testyourmight are way too simple- and close-minded to think about such an approach.
As a matter of fact, I actually tried the same thing few days ago and it got closed without naming any real reason by one of Earths worst moderators:

http://testyourmight.com/threads/a-new-approach-to-tier-lists-in-injustice-wall-of-text.33441/

Do yourself a favour and don't waste your own time with open-minded approaches like this.
This community can't handle innovation. In their minds the Earth is still flat and Santa Claus exists.

I may be new, and I may be ignorant in my bliss, but I still have high hopes :)

To be honest, you have been the person who has said the most words against this topic so far lol.

Overall I've been surprised by how well the topic has been received up until this point. I'm really happy with the mostly positive response so far! So I'm going to run with it and see how it goes!

Please, lets try to focus on constructive conversation now. I'd love it if you participated rather than expressed doubts here :D

Sonya Blade

Mission Accomplished
Lex and Lobo for sure.

As a Harley main, I'm on the fence about her. I don't think she's unviable, but it's clear she struggles against the top tier in this game. They are top tier for a reason, though.

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
I'm not to sure about who is not viable for top 8 spots but the future top 8 will look like this

1. Aquaman
2. Scorpion
3. Scorpion
4. GA (Chris G only)
5. Scorpion
6. Scorpion
7. Scorpion
8. Batgirl
Im glad someone finally realizes aquaman destroys scorpion

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust

Woa Wtf is this ish???

That was one of the best OP's and ideas I've seen in a fighting game forum in a while. We had this for Tekken 5DR. I was a high level tourney player in that game and helped plenty with the Julia Chang and Anna Williams info, my chars. We had tier list in one thread of course, but we had a separate thread with every char and the top players attached to them, and most top guys except for the asshole types like Spero added hella info on the chars. It was very useful for us tourney players and the casuals as well.

Your thread looked very similar to what we had. Not sure why your thread was shutdown, but if top players were willing to contribute it seems like an incredibly wasted opportunity. When we made it though, it was started by a top player which, hmm i'll stop here. In fear of punishment I'll go turn on some TTT2 now lol.