What's new

Opinions on which characters are not top 8 viable in the current meta-game?

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
The 5 in the updated OP, Lobo, Harley, Bane, Joker, and Lex is dead on. Those 5 chars are just plain inferior overall to the majority of the cast. There are always gonna be chars better or worse than others, and those 5 clearly have displayed less in the current phase of the game. They should be considered the bottom of the barrel until proven otherwise.

Other char I'd add to that list is Shazam- not as bad as the unfantastic 5, but not too far behind. Not nearly as good as the top 15 chars and a clear gap can be seen between him and them.

Are we gonna discuss all your broken hopes and dreams now?
Bane is awesome when he gets in but balance wise he's terrible. That is all.
Shut up, you fraud.
You're not allowed to talk about Bane anymore, now where you're fapping to Scorpion hentai pictures.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Shut up, you fraud.
You're not allowed to talk about Bane anymore, now where you're fapping to Scorpion hentai pictures.
I don't even use Scorpion though. I'm just looking for a new Bane in Pony form.

I prefer Noob to Scorps by the way. :coffee:

I think some of you guys are giving this game way too much credit. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a bad game, but I feel there is not much depth to it. I don't see how the "meta game" will evolve much. I'm sure there are some unexplored things but I don't think anything groundbreaking will be found anytime soon. The game feels too linear and one dimensional for that IMO. I feel the game is very casual oriented and extremely simple. I think the mk9 comparisons are innacurate. MK9 was more technical than this game and much more tournament oriented. The metagame kept on evolving as people got execution down and their reactions got sharp. It evolved to the point that one wrong jump or one wrong whiffed poke or normal would cost you a match. In Injustice you can't even play a reaction based game due to how safe and linear everything seems to be. You can't even anti air on reaction. Sometimes on a read you still can't do anything. This game seems to reward braindead play.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
I think some of you guys are giving this game way too much credit. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a bad game, but I feel there is not much depth to it. I don't see how the "meta game" will evolve much. I'm sure there are some unexplored things but I don't think anything groundbreaking will be found anytime soon. The game feels too linear and one dimensional for that IMO. I feel the game is very casual oriented and extremely simple. I think the mk9 comparisons are innacurate. MK9 was more technical than this game and much more tournament oriented. The metagame kept on evolving as people got execution down and their reactions got sharp. It evolved to the point that one wrong jump or one wrong whiffed poke or normal would cost you a match. In Injustice you can't even play a reaction based game due to how safe and linear everything seems to be. You can't even anti air on reaction. Sometimes on a read you still can't do anything. This game seems to reward braindead play.
I bet people said the same thing about MK9 when it came out.

I bet people said the same thing about MK9 when it came out.
They did. I mentioned that in the execution thread. It was actually said even more so then here because the strings of the combo system were shorter and even easier execution. That was actually part of the reason I only rented and didn't buy mk9. I learned all the available tech for my chars in the game At the time and it felt like a hour on a char and there was nothing else to learn.

But look how mk turned out :)

SonicFox5000

The Best.
My first post on the TYM forums :D

Since Injustice came out, one of the most impressive aspects for me has been how many characters have made it to the top 8 of tournaments. I made a list early on and so far I have every character on the list aside from Flash and Bane (not including DLC characters yet). The tournament winners have been extremely varied as well.

I can't speak for every ones play styles, but I typically like to play "who I want" (which is usually a lower tier character that's not picked much) and try to learn some fun tricks and new tech on them, but I also have some experience with a small variety of characters that are viable for competitive play.

The game is patched frequently though, so it's kind of hard to keep up with the current status of the characters. Especially since the cast is fairly large so I doubt anyone but the very top players have a good handle on all the characters.

So I thought, rather than a "tier list" (which only makes people flock towards a small handful of characters), it might be a bit more constructive to make a list of which characters are "not" top 8 tournament viable in the current meta-game? That way people who like to play competitive can be comfortable that their characters are at least viable for tournament play, and at the same time players who enjoy to play the characters that are generally thought of as weaker and/or less developed could have a list of characters to develop. And maybe NRS could get an idea of what characters need the most help in upcoming patches (hopefully!).

It would be great if some top/pro players could give their thoughts on the subject!

If enough people enjoy this topic I could update it each patch.

Preliminary List-
Lobo
Harley Quinn
Bane
Joker
Lex Luthor

In Debate-
Flash

Recently Removed From List-
Doomsday due to results by Reggie at the Northwest Majors!

I encourage players to try to have some fun on these characters and take them to the lab. If you discover some new tech for them share it on the character forums, but link the info here as well for some constructive discussion on how it may improve their viability ;)
Harley is highly viable lol

Lumpymoomilk

Online Punching Bag
Lobo definitely, seems like if you can keep him away he can't do a damn thing, chain range is limited and it's slow on recovery, shotgun range is barely a small dash away. his metered bf3 has 1 hit of armor and doesn't link to anything and still gets knocked out of armor by deathstroke guns, GL's machine gun trident stabs. Most of his moves have slow as hell start up. good god why do I torture myself playing these characters.

ceemurda

Tha BLakk ROBOCOP
Lobo definitely, seems like if you can keep him away he can't do a damn thing, chain range is limited and it's slow on recovery, shotgun range is barely a small dash away. his metered bf3 has 1 hit of armor and doesn't link to anything and still gets knocked out of armor by deathstroke guns, GL's machine gun trident stabs. Most of his moves have slow as hell start up. good god why do I torture myself playing these characters.

I was thinking that today playing against a really good superman player... dude was opening up the match with f23 and I tried to jump, counterpoke, and backdash... I got caught by it everytime until I flat out blocked it then what does he do? he trait cancels into another f23 into breath lol... I literally had to play SOLID to even lose to him by a tad..

I was playing cyborg which is my day 1 main till I die... tom was right... wish they never nerfed his iafb lol however its not gunna stop me from just developing more setups.... I was thinking about hoping on the Zod train but somehow I think he will be in the same boat with lobo when he comes out and not in the annoyingly good boat batgirl and scorpions in......

hope since cyborgs the only brotha in the game that he gets that jax treatment lol

JaredL

Aww shit <REDACTED DUE TO FEELINGS> its Shapzam
Shazam.

He has no good matchups. Lots of bad ones.

Relies on an oki game which most people can safely destroy.
Low damage.
Unsafe.
No good normals.

SUPARNOVAX

Low tier? I was born in it, molded by it
Bane Bane Bane!

Bane needs a projectile and teleport.

If not, at least remove the venom debuff. There's no weight or real logical reason to leave that in. It really hinders the character from really doing decent. Its like you get some offense rolling with the venom but it holds you for a little when it wears off and it's possible you can eat 40-50% combos regularly with this debuff active.

The debuff makes no sense since most of his moves are kind of on the slower side of things. His armored properties aren't as good as people may think since certain invincible/armor properties can out prioritize his venom armor.

But anyway, there's no reason why he should lose damage, speed, and defense while waiting for the new cycle while everyone else with similar traits suffers nothing.

Every character can make top 8 at a tournament lol

Shazam is actually very good, maybe not as a main but he's surprisingly good against zoning characters due to the teleport/buff

They had to nerf cyborg's iafb... If that still hit mid I would never lose a game against big characters...ever too many 10-0 matchups

Bane is good too fyi

cpmd4

Slaughter is the Best Medicine
I thought tier lists were just supposed to list tools each character has compared to each other?
A lot of the time tier lists go by match-ups, who has the most positive match-ups compared to the least positive match-ups. Which incidentally has to do with what tools characters have to deal with each other.

I thought tier lists were just supposed to list tools each character has compared to each other?

That's why this isn't a tier list... The chars on the list are reducing tournament by tournament. Hopefully they will all be gone soon!

Then we can update this topic to discuss if any characters are falling out of viability in the current metagame, and bring even more challenges for future tournaments! =)