What's new

Official TYM UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) Discussion

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
So I saw this thread while browsing Sherdog and thought it was kinda interesting...

This year is the first time in a while that we have a lot of real shots for title challengers, compared to all the mismatches we've seen in the past couple years. Vitor, IMO, is the only serious threat we've seen to the top 3 p4p in a while. This year we have -

Gus vs Jones
JDS vs Cain pt 3
Grant vs Bendo
Silva vs Weidman
TKZ vs Aldo
Hendricks vs GSP

There's Mighty Mouse-Moraga in the mix too but that'd be a huge upset if Moraga takes it.

I would be surprised if there isn't at least one new champion by the end of the year. I disagree with the way most people seem to see it though. A lot of people are favoring JDS in the rematch and placing that on top of who has the best chance. I really think pt 2 showed who was the all-around better fighter in extremely convincing fashion and makes pt 1 look like a fluke in retrospect. I see Cain easily taking this again, even if JDS deserves the rematch.

I think all of them have a realistic shot, but this is who I'm picking -
Gus
Cain
Weidman
TKZ
Bendo
Hendricks

Who I think will actually win -
Jones
Cain
Weidman
Aldo
Bendo
Hendricks

Side note: Who the fuck put Harris-Lineker on the main card for 163? Unless they're expecting Lineker to KTFO of Harris and put on a show, Harris's last fight was on the facebook prelims in the most boring fight I've seen all year. I don't know why that isn't switched with Leites-Watson. I wonder if they're stacking free cards like Shogun vs Sonnen to get people to buy shitty PPVs.

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
Lineker v. Harris deserves to be on the main card just because of Lineker. The UFC is has been burying the FLW fights on the Facebook prelims, that is no way to build a division. People say "oh I don't like FLW because they can't finish fights," which is completely false. Lineker will most likely beat the shit out of Phil Harris. He had a brutal victory over Gashimov and his fight with Gaudinot was one of the most underrated fights of the year. The problem is no one besides the hardcore fans know who the fuck he is.

And idk how McCall is on the Facebook prelims. Why the fuck is women's fight higher on the card than them? It's because the UFC is actually properly marketing the women by putting them higher up on the card, but for whatever reason they refuse to do that with FLW unless it's a title fight or Benavidez fighting. Also, sign more FLW. Seriously. You don't need to only sign the top 7 fighters of the division... it wouldn't hurt to just sign some prospects or mid-tier fighters. The division needs more than just hte top guys and then the skill level just plummets.

And man if both Weidman and Hendricks win that would really be the changing of an era. Both Anderson and GSP have been champions for a long time. I think Anderson will win but I am picking Hendricks to win.

And about Cain v. JDS, there is no way that first fight was a fluke. He set that punch up, it's not like he just randomly threw that out there. And in the second fight Cain almost looked foolish in the opening 2 minutes constantly missing his takedowns. The main reason JDS lost was because he did nothing after defending the takedown. If he learns to attack off of the failed takedown then he can win. I am picking JDS to win the third fight although a big part of my reasoning is because he's my favorite HW besides Big Nog.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
And idk how McCall is on the Facebook prelims. Why the fuck is women's fight higher on the card than them? It's because the UFC is actually properly marketing the women by putting them higher up on the card, but for whatever reason they refuse to do that with FLW unless it's a title fight or Benavidez fighting. Also, sign more FLW. Seriously. You don't need to only sign the top 7 fighters of the division... it wouldn't hurt to just sign some prospects or mid-tier fighters. The division needs more than just hte top guys and then the skill level just plummets.
100% agree. They just signed Ali Bagautinov who's an interesting prospect for FLW so hopefully we'll see more of that. I'm happy to see them looking into the Russians more. Nurmagomedov/Khabilov proved that they're worth it. The next TUF has BW which needs some more blood but not as much as FLW... but then again maybe some of the guys who come out of it will drop to 125 like Dodson did.

I can sort of understand McCall being on FB prelims just because he's 0-2-1 in the UFC so far. Even though that's against the top 2 in the division, the guys unfamiliar with him will look at his record and go "who the fuck is this casual?". Benavidez's last fight was on a free card in prelims and I was hoping that to make the main event to get more people interested. I understand about Lineker too, he's awesome, Phil Harris is just completely unworthy of this lol.

CitizenSnips

100% agree. They just signed Ali Bagautinov who's an interesting prospect for FLW so hopefully we'll see more of that. I'm happy to see them looking into the Russians more. Nurmagomedov/Khabilov proved that they're worth it. The next TUF has BW which needs some more blood but not as much as FLW... but then again maybe some of the guys who come out of it will drop to 125 like Dodson did.

I can sort of understand McCall being on FB prelims just because he's 0-2-1 in the UFC so far. Even though that's against the top 2 in the division, the guys unfamiliar with him will look at his record and go "who the fuck is this casual?". Benavidez's last fight was on a free card in prelims and I was hoping that to make the main event to get more people interested. I understand about Lineker too, he's awesome, Phil Harris is just completely unworthy of this lol.
Yeah, it's more about promoting Lineker and Phil Harris is the sacrificial lamb.

Nick Diaz's MMA promotion debuts tonight. I might watch it.

Also, do you post on Sherdog or just lurk?

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Also, do you post on Sherdog or just lurk?
I really just look at the recent threads off the front page to see it there's anything interesting. I don't post. I see a bunch of dumbasses on there though haha. Like guys with 10k posts not knowing who Ricardo lamas is or saying cub Swanson isn't big enough for a main card

And I'm not sure about war mma. Nick Diaz doesn't seem like the best businessman. Ill watch when there's a more interesting card though

CitizenSnips

I really just look at the recent threads off the front page to see it there's anything interesting. I don't post. I see a bunch of dumbasses on there though haha. Like guys with 10k posts not knowing who Ricardo lamas is or saying cub Swanson isn't big enough for a main card

And I'm not sure about war mma. Nick Diaz doesn't seem like the best businessman. Ill watch when there's a more interesting card though
I'm on Sherdog all the time. If I have the internet up, there's always a Sherdog tab lol. News gets posted so fast on there it's great. Right when someone tweets a matchup or something there is a thread about it almost immediately.

Also, how do you think the TUF17 guys will do in their upcoming fights? The matchups are:

Kelvin Gastelum v. Paulo Thiago
Uriah Hall v. Nick Ring
Dylan Andrews v. Papy Abedi
Bubba McDaniel v. Brad Tavares
Clint Hester v. Cezar Ferriera
Zak Cummings v. Ben Alloway

The guys in green are the ones I think who will win.

Josh Samman, Luke Barnatte and Tor Troeng should be getting fights soon too.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I can't see the colors because I'm on my phone lol. I think bubba and Cummings will lose but the rest will get it. I think there's a good talent level from last season. I see gastelum, hall, samman, Hester, and maybe troeng all sticking around for a while. The rest might get 1 or 2 more wins before they're out unless they've improved a lot.

A lot of people seem to back bubba but I don't see it. I can't see him being any more than a dumb redneck lol. He has some skills but I would never pick him beating a decent opponent

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Gastelum has the potential to be a beast in the division though. He's super young and already has a great skillset with room to reach a top level. Plus he went down a division which will only make his style stronger

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
SMH.

Silva got what he deserved.

Hopefully now Belfort will get his shot that he deserves and win the belt and Machida drop down to 185 along with a few others. MW is looking better now since Silva lost (even though he will get a rematch because of money hungry Dana).

People can talk all the shit they want about Fedor losing (including Dana White) but Fedor didn't have to play mind games, he was the mind game.

GG's Silva. You fucked up.

EvilNonsense

steals your stuff
Silva was clowning around so much, it looked like he threw the fight or just doesn't give a shit anymore. Taunting isn't uncommon in fighting, but holding your hands at your side the entire time is an open invitation to get knocked out.

CitizenSnips

You can tell by his post fight interview that he doesn't have the same fire he used to have. I'm sure he trained his ass off for the fight and wanted to win, but he also seemed very ready to give up the belt. Terrible way to lose, but I hope he comes back better. He treated Weidman like Maia and Bonnar when in reality he should have fought them like Franklin, Hendo, Belfort etc.

Weidman is great and will be a great champion.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
Thoughts on Gus/Bones? I can't help but think that when the UFC's PR department can only make a promo about how Gus is bigger, it isn't going to go well for him. I see this being a 2nd round TKO. Gustaf just does not have the wrestling to deal with anything that Jones has to offer

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
Thoughts on Gus/Bones? I can't help but think that when the UFC's PR department can only make a promo about how Gus is bigger, it isn't going to go well for him. I see this being a 2nd round TKO. Gustaf just does not have the wrestling to deal with anything that Jones has to offer

187x

Noob
I got jones 3rd round tko but i hope alexander wins, I can't really stand jones.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
I got jones but i hope alexander wins, I can't really stand jones.

I think they tried to shield Gus from wrestlers for too long. The only great one he's faced was Davis, and he lost that fight. As much as I'd like to see the two of them slug it out, I think Gus has a puncher's chance and that's about it. I see Jones (who actually has the reach advantage over Gus despite being shorter), picking his spots standing with front kicks and that rangy jab to set up his takedowns and an eventual finish with his hellbows

Everlast

KTG | EVERLAST
i hope Gus will win. i know he isnt as good as a wrestler as jones is but he is a more seasoned boxer and if you actually watch Gus' style, it is perfect to try and take out jones. Gus never stands in one place. he is constantly moving and circling away from danger, even when his back is on the cage. his footwork is really good and being an amateur muay thai kickboxer thats trains with mma guys like myself its is hard to take down a guy that can not only defend the takedown, which gus has a ruffly 90% takedown defense but a guy that constantly circles and uses good foot work. if i was a to bet on this fight i would probably say jones but it is not lop sided like some of these other guys are saying.

CitizenSnips

Jones is going to most likely take him down and submit him or TKO with hellbows. Gustaffson is a good striker and composed on the feet, but Jones has great wrestling and his striking is good enough to not get outclassed by Gustaffson. Actually I wouldn't be surprised if Jones outstrikes Gustaffson, since he will be wary of the takedowns. Gustaffson can win but he is rightfully the big underdog.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
So apparently Matt Grice was in a serious car accident and is in surgery. Really unfortunate since I became a huge fan of his when he fought Dennis Bermudez which is still FOTY imo. I really hope he pulls through, even if he's okay he probably won't be fighting anytime soon :(

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
I think Gus has a better chance than ppl think. If my memory serves jones wasn't NCAA level wrestler. Not to say he's not good at it but I wouldn't put him on the same level as Cain or askren or something. I think if Gus can stay busy and keep him guessing and not sink into his game he could wear him down. 6-4 jones either way though :p

CitizenSnips

So apparently Matt Grice was in a serious car accident and is in surgery. Really unfortunate since I became a huge fan of his when he fought Dennis Bermudez which is still FOTY imo. I really hope he pulls through, even if he's okay he probably won't be fighting anytime soon :(
Yeah that fight was nuts. A long time ago he fought Matt Veach in the UFC and that was also a war. Hope he gets better.

I think Gus has a better chance than ppl think. If my memory serves jones wasn't NCAA level wrestler. Not to say he's not good at it but I wouldn't put him on the same level as Cain or askren or something. I think if Gus can stay busy and keep him guessing and not sink into his game he could wear him down. 6-4 jones either way though :p
Jones was a Junior College wrestler, so he was very good but does not have the accolades some other guys have. His MMA wrestling is top notch. The only person with better or equal MMA wrestling is GSP imo. MMA wrestling is much more about timing than actually being a good wrestler imo. You can pretty much just be awesome at timing a double-leg or single-leg and be considered a good wrestler for MMA. What makes Jones' wrestling so great is that his clinch work is also amazing. The trips he has gotten while clinched are some of the best I've seen.

Mark Munoz is a much more decorated wrestler than Jones, but his wrestling has not translated too well into MMA (except he looked awesome against Boetsch).

8-2 Jones.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
Tonight's the night! I've got Jones finishing Gus in the late 2nd or early 3rd, and Barao scoring the sub in the 4th!

ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT'S TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
Damn, Gus brought it tonight. I had Jones winning the 2nd and the championship rounds for a split UD.

And how about Barao's spinning KO? Wicked stuff.